Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GL everyone. Hope the good news comes your way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Reactions: 1 user
No one had posted anything in the threads for the 3 schools I'm WLed at all day, so I was hopeful that the reason I hadn't heard anything was simply that none of those schools were participating in traffic day. Took a late-evening nap and woke up to see someone post they got into my state school today. *slump*

I'm feeling pretty bad, and I'm scared. I'm not even gonna try to sugarcoat it.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one had posted anything in the threads for the 3 schools I'm WLed at all day, so I was hopeful that the reason I hadn't heard anything was simply that none of those schools were participating in traffic day. Took a late-evening nap and woke up to see someone post they got into my state school today. *slump*

Give the schools a day or two to sort through everything and get a handle on how they will proceed through their waitlists (if they even have to). Wailist movement will ebb and flow over the next few weeks.

Reactions: 7 users

Just off the top of my head, I can think of five separate occasions where I was 100% convinced that the proverbial "nail in the coffin" had been hammered in for me at the school I now attend. Good things happen when you least expect it. Stay strong.

Reactions: 13 users
Give the schools a day or two to sort through everything and get a handle on how they will proceed through their waitlists (if they even have to). Wailist movement will ebb and flow over the next few weeks.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of five separate occasions where I was 100% convinced that the proverbial "nail in the coffin" had been hammered in for me at the school I now attend. Good things happen when you least expect it. Stay strong.
Y'all are awesome. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm still waiting on my WL as well, but very hopeful about this coming week.

It cannot be emphasized enough that you must evaluate the weakness in your application before reapplying. It took a master's program and 2 years time before I was accepted after reapplying.

Medical schools are incredibly expensive to apply to. If you did not get in this time around, especially if you have multiple interviews, I strongly urge you to practice your interview skills and if possible, speak with the schools where you were rejected. If you have five interviews and every single one is a waitlist, then something is lacking in the interview. If they are interviewing you, it means you are good enough to be accepted; you just have to stand out in the interview. Find out what needs to be improved.

For interview advice / practice, I cannot recommend Kevin Ahern's youtube videos enough. I watched his videos over and over before my interviews and had wonderful interviews. I wish each of you the best of success in your endeavors to become physicians. Never give up and always remember, the true character of a person is not how he or she acts when standing in comfort, but when he or she is faced with struggle and adversity.

This week saw new acceptances at: Mayo Clinic, Brown, Hofstra, UCI, WUSTL, UCLA, NY Med, Northstate, UCLA Drew and AZ Tucson.
Multiple accepts at UCSF and Miami.

Hi gyngyn - thank you very much for the update, I really appreciate it! Any idea on how many acceptances at UCI?

Thanks in Advance, I'm one of the many here on SDN who are thankful to you for updating us!!!!!!

Hi gyngyn - thank you very much for the update, I really appreciate it! Any idea on how many acceptances at UCI?

Thanks in Advance, I'm one of the many here on SDN who are thankful to you for updating us!!!!!!
The most important thing is that movement has started.
Once there is movement, there will continue to be movement until orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
The most important thing is that movement has started.
Once there is movement, there will continue to be movement until orientation.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights, gyngyn! It's hard to not to be discouraged each time the waitlist moves without you. This is my second cycle, and I spent far too long agonizing over the day to day movements last summer.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks so much for sharing your insights, gyngyn! It's hard to not to be discouraged each time the waitlist moves without you. This is my second cycle, and I spent far too long agonizing over the day to day movements last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@gyngyn
do you have any news for us today? thank you in advance

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
May used to be my favorite month. Now all I feel is nausea and sharp chest pains.

Reactions: 19 users
IMG_3391.PNG
May used to be my favorite month. Now all I feel is nausea and sharp chest pains.

Ei3yTFD.gif

Always disliked may due to allergies and hot weather. Waitlists are just icing on the cake! :(

I'm going to distract myself by cooking a ton. Who wants cupcakes?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to distract myself by cooking a ton. Who wants cupcakes?
Me! *waves hand* I'm considering making some chocolate chip cookies to motivate myself to finish re-writing my personal statement.

Reactions: 2 users
Ei3yTFD.gif

Always disliked may due to allergies and hot weather. Waitlists are just icing on the cake! :(
Well it's birthday month for me and I overall don't hate myself enough to hate birthday month

Question: do you guys think it'll be hard to find housing if you were to get off the waitlist in the later months? I assume that many apartment complexes near the schools would be filled up/most of the med students would have roomed up. It's not my main concern right now, but it's something to think about?

Question: do you guys think it'll be hard to find housing if you were to get off the waitlist in the later months? I assume that many apartment complexes near the schools would be filled up/most of the med students would have roomed up. It's not my main concern right now, but it's something to think about?

In general, I guess it would be harder, but it's entirely dependent on the rental market of the area. That said I find it hard to imagine being unable to find any place. The challenge, of course, is the less time you have, you'll be less likely to find more affordable accommodations. If you're concerned about it and on a tighter budget, you might consider researching the market or do a preliminary search. There will possibly be other med students, too, who may be in the same situation coming off a waitlist, and willing to room up.

I'd try not to think too much about it before actually getting an acceptance, though. Psychologically, I doubt I could commit myself to looking for housing.

To those who are preparing to re-apply, do you plan to re-apply for this cycle or take another year to improve your app? I'm wondering if my accomplishments in the last year are good enough to improve my application over this year's app.

To those who are preparing to re-apply, do you plan to re-apply for this cycle or take another year to improve your app? I'm wondering if my accomplishments in the last year are good enough to improve my application over this year's app.
I'm not sure. I have about a extra thousand hours worth of much needed clinical experiences and a couple hundred hours of non clinical. At the same time, my MCAT score is exactly the same (expiring next year) and my paper is still in limbo. Just praying my waitlists play out.

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't make it back from the hospital again today, sorry.
Next week will be better.
I really, really hope next week is better. Anxiety levels are through the roof.

Reactions: 10 users
I've been going through these phases of being calm before suddenly being overwhelmed with dread. :hungover:
I recently figured out exactly what time my top choice sends out acceptances. I feel like I cycle through the stages of grief daily leading up to 11:25am.

Reactions: 1 users
I recently figured out exactly what time my top choice sends out acceptances. I feel like I cycle through the stages of grief daily leading up to 11:25am.
My top school gives no indications at all. It can come at any time of the work day. You also have 0 idea where your at on the waitlist and how much the list is moving.

My reporting on movement may or may not help.
Do use healthy stress management tools!

Completely agree... if one is on the waitlist and hears from you before hearing from that school, then more disappointment will ensue... then they may ask how many moved, when, and what their chances are now.. essentially intellectualizing the process. I guess this is the coping mechanism. It's a long and difficult process.
IMG_3520.JPG

My reporting on movement may or may not help.
Do use healthy stress management tools!
Either I'm going to get into med school or I'm going to get shin splints, one or the other.

I think this varies a lot by person. Depending what their weaknesses were and what improvements they have made. I reapplied the year following (against popular advice) and went from 0 II to 8 II, and ultimately accepted. Happy to answer any questions! Good luck!

I'm taking another year to add on full time clinical experience (40 hours/week), plus 4-5 new volunteer commitments for ~20 hours per week on top of that. +another year of research exp during this recent glide year, also new LORs, new PS, other ECs/hobbies: it'll be a dramatic change from this cycle.

In all seriousness to everyone with a lot of waitlists, the odds are not bad (go through last year's waitlist thread, a huge percentage of the regular posters ended up getting accepted).

In all seriousness to everyone with a lot of waitlists, the odds are not bad (go through last year's waitlist thread, a huge percentage of the regular posters ended up getting accepted).
Thanks! That really does put me slightly more at ease. By the way, how many hats have you promised to eat so far?