Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheelpenner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in need of some mental support? I feel like I'm going crazy....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I feel ya man haha. Not as many interviews as you, but I went 3/3 on waitlists for my first 3 interviews and have one more coming up in a month. Coincidentally my LizzyM is also right around 74.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So many post interview waitlist. So much anxiety. Not a fun time.

Reactions: 8 users
Try 0 MD IIs so far with more than half the cycle complete :oops:

Reactions: 5 users
Hang in there, bud! You've had 8 interviews but no responses from 7? How could that be?!
I have no idea I've been asking myself the same question. Its a little ridiculous if you ask me, esp. considering I've been interviewing since October.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel ya man haha. Not as many interviews as you, but I went 3/3 on waitlists for my first 3 interviews and have one more coming up in a month. Coincidentally my LizzyM is also right around 74.
Yay same boat! I thought 74 was pretty competitive....

I feel you, OP. Interviewed at 4 schools and 1 silence 1 reject 1 waitlist. waiting to hear from the 4th in a few weeks. Man, life sucks

Reactions: 3 users
Try 0 MD IIs so far with more than half the cycle complete :oops:
Hang in there. I had 0 II last year and reapplied and got accepted to an MD school in the fall. Just keep grinding and improving your application, it will all work out in the end.

Reactions: 7 users
3 MD interviews, haven't heard back from any of them... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
1 II, waitlist #3 I like my chances.

Still waiting to hear from one more about a late season interview.. But I'm basically throwing in the towel on the second one

I have no idea I've been asking myself the same question. Its a little ridiculous if you ask me, esp. considering I've been interviewing since October.
Lol same. 10 interviews so far, no positive decisions yet. It really makes you go crazy doesn't it?

Reactions: 1 users
Two interviews, two waitlists. This whole process is brutal

Reactions: 9 users
Hopping in this thread! So far I'm 3/3 WL, 5 more decisions coming up! My gosh this is going to be quite the next 4 weeks.

Edit: Posted pre-emptively - was optimistic! I'm actually 2WL and 1 Rejection now- Fingers crossed for the next 5 my fellows!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In similar boat, hoping for some good news soon but looking at gap year options...

Fingers crossed for all of you! I really hope you all get in! The fact that many of you have such high LizzyMs but haven't been accepted yet baffles me...

Waitlists after waitlists... stay positive!

Fingers crossed for all of you! I really hope you all get in! The fact that many of you have such high LizzyMs but haven't been accepted yet baffles me...

LizzyM scores don't guarantee anything and don't factor the PS, volunteering, clinical experience, LORs, interview, maturity, leadership, match for the school etc. And good interviewers can still get rejected if they don't align with the school's vibe/philosophy for example.

Reactions: 4 users
5IIs, 1WL, 1R, 3 awaiting decision

If you don't get accepted after 10 interviews I will eat my hat and another hat of your choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Game on
rs_560x415-140126165201-1024.Pharrell-Williams-Grammy-Awards-hat.jl.012614.jpg

Reactions: 24 users
2 MD II --> 2 WL, already getting antsy and it's nowhere near May

Last edited by a moderator:
What is everyone's plans for next year?

What are the odds of coming off the waitlists of schools like Cinci and Rochester?

LizzyM scores don't guarantee anything and don't factor the PS, volunteering, clinical experience, LORs, interview, maturity, leadership, match for the school etc. And good interviewers can still get rejected if they don't align with the school's vibe/philosophy for example.
Ah, this is all true - my bad lol

In all seriousness: I know the waitlist game well and it blows royally. Unfortunately, you can't really expect anything to happen until April when they start taking people off the waitlist, so in the meantime the best thing you can do is continue to do what you've been doing in terms of getting good grades, ECs, etc. so that if they ask for an update you can give them something substantive. If there's a school that you know for sure is your number one choice, you might consider initiating a dialogue with them about sending a letter of intent and so forth, but only if they are receptive to it.

2 waitlists and 1 deferred decision here. 9 long miserable months of waiting......

OOS for both? I think better odds of getting off Cinci's.
IS for Cinci. I'm not sure b/c they only took off a handful last year apparently. I had higher hopes for Rochester.

IS for Cinci. I'm not sure b/c they only took off a handful last year apparently. I had higher hopes for Rochester.
Waitlist decisions are going to vary pretty widely depending on how many people end up committing in that particular year.

What are the odds of coming off the waitlists of schools like Cinci and Rochester?

Very unlikely for Cincinnati, unfortunately. I don't know anyone in my class who got accepted off the waitlist, and no one posted on SDN saying they got accepted off the waitlist.

UPDATE on my mental health: Today, I was so proud of my cells (in lab) for finally growing after being stubborn and dying, that I actually almost teared up I was so proud and happy.

Reactions: 20 users
Yesterday: waitlisted at my second interview out of two, second waitlist. Devastated.

Today: totally unexpected II. Exhilarated.

I SWEAR TO GOD THIS CYCLE IS TRYING TO KILL ME WITH AN EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER RIDE

Reactions: 22 users

Last edited:
Sigh its tough out here. LizzyM 74; 5 IIs: 2 rejections, and 1 long weird silence so far. All my hopes lie on Sinai and BU in Feb and March.

Applied super super late last cycle and got 1 II which didn't work out. Honestly feel like my application is at its peak this cycle so I'm not sure what I'd even work on improving if I were to apply again. Feel like I've covered my bases really well when it comes to strong service/clinical/research/leadership ECs and I worked hard on crafting my essays and PS too

It's a humbling process for sure; prayers for all of us!

Last edited:
Sigh its tough out here. LizzyM 74; 5 II: 2 rejections, and 1 long weird silence so far. All my hopes lie on Sinai and BU in Feb and March.

Applied super super late last cycle and got 1 II which didn't work out. Honestly feel like my application is at its peak this cycle so I'm not sure what I'd even work on improving if I were to apply again. Feel like I've covered my bases really well when it comes to strong service/clinical/research/leadership ECs and I worked hard on crafting my essays and PS too

It's a humbling process for sure; prayers for all of us!

you only applied to 8 schools ?

1 early Interview -> Waitlist
1 recent Interview -> at least 2 more weeks of waiting. Not sure about how the interview went but it seemed ok. Fingers crossed because it is my top choice.
1 Interview next month -> anxiously waiting and praying I'll get in to NYMC and be able to go into this one with some confidence.

you only applied to 8 schools ?

Hahaha nahhhh I said I got 5IIs and out of those, 2 were rejections and 1 is a long weird silence. Have 2 decisions left to wait on

Applied to ~30 schools