Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In all seriousness to everyone with a lot of waitlists, the odds are not bad (go through last year's waitlist thread, a huge percentage of the regular posters ended up getting accepted).

Define "a lot"

Between SDN and real life, probably enough to keep the heads dry for a small village.

Define small. Define village. Define dry. Define "real life".

In all seriousness, memories of your thread last year are still enjoyable. I hope you are having all of the success you can handle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In all seriousness to everyone with a lot of waitlists, the odds are not bad (go through last year's waitlist thread, a huge percentage of the regular posters ended up getting accepted).
Thank you for easing my anxious heart. I get crazy anxiety every time I work on re-application materials, and that kind of hope keeps me going.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for easing my anxious heart. I get crazy anxiety every time I work on re-application materials, and that kind of hope keeps me going.

Never give up hope, but as somebody who has been left on the hook by waitlists once, and might be again, don't lose focus on getting the application done. I hope you all (and dare I say me too) get off your lists! But make sure you're ready for next cycle too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, long time lurker here & wanted to add another support story. I went 6 for 6 WL this past cycle, 2 of which were low priority WLs at my "safety" state schools. When May 1st rolled around, after months of telling friends and family I was "still waiting to hear back", I resigned myself to reapplying. I asked for new LORs, made an appointment w my premed committee, and submitted my transcript request to AMCAS for the 2018 cycle. The worst part about all this was that I had no real guarantees about next cycle. My application wasn't the issue. It got me 6 interviews. To gain no acceptances after all those interviews meant one thing-- I must have interviewed like an extra-stellar lizard in human skin. But how do I change my personality in just a few months time? I was at a loss.

Here's the point of this post: last week, I got a phone call from an adcom offering me admission with a scholarship to one of the most selective schools in the country. I was in disbelief. I almost asked them if they had the right number. But just like that, I wasn't premed anymore. My friends and family were beyond ecstatic for me. "Congrats! That's amazing, you deserve it!" Needless to say, I was also beyond happy and relieved. At the same time, I felt disconnected from the praise, because I'd done nothing exceptional besides picking up my phone. I guess I just wanted to offer some encouragement in this thread. I was just 1 call away from being a reapplicant. Many of you are just 1 call away from going to medical school. Don't let the process get to you & remember that having to reapply doesn't mean anything about your worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 users
Hi, long time lurker here & wanted to add another support story. I went 6 for 6 WL this past cycle, 2 of which were low priority WLs at my "safety" state schools. When May 1st rolled around, after months of telling friends and family I was "still waiting to hear back", I resigned myself to reapplying. I asked for new LORs, made an appointment w my premed committee, and submitted my transcript request to AMCAS for the 2018 cycle. The worst part about all this was that I had no real guarantees about next cycle. My application wasn't the issue. It got me 6 interviews. To gain no acceptances after all those interviews meant one thing-- I must have interviewed like an extra-stellar lizard in human skin. But how do I change my personality in just a few months time? I was at a loss.

Here's the point of this post: last week, I got a phone call from an adcom offering me admission with a scholarship to one of the most selective schools I applied to. I was in disbelief. I almost asked them if they had the right number. But just like that, I wasn't premed anymore. My friends and family were beyond ecstatic for me. "Congrats! That's amazing, you deserve it!" Needless to say, I was also beyond happy and relieved. At the same time, I felt disconnected from the praise, because I'd done nothing exceptional besides picking up my phone. I guess I just wanted to offer some encouragement in this thread. I was just 1 call away from being a reapplicant. Many of you are just 1 call away from going to medical school. Don't let the process get to you & remember that having to reapply doesn't mean anything about your worth.
Thank you, this gives me hope. I had 5 interviews that resulted in 3 waitlists and 2 rejections. Everyone keeps on telling me that it's a crapshoot but deep down I know it was my interviewing skills...I'm not sure what to do as a reapplicatant because like you said - I can't change my personality in a few months. It's not simple like retaking the MCAT or getting more clinical hours. I'm at a loss right now :(

Reactions: 2 users
Never give up hope, but as somebody who has been left on the hook by waitlists once, and might be again, don't lose focus on getting the application done. I hope you all (and dare I say me too) get off your lists! But make sure you're ready for next cycle too!
I have ZERO motivation to work on another application cycle. These wait lists have done something to me.

Reactions: 8 users
I have ZERO motivation to work on another application cycle. These wait lists have done something to me.

I absolutely understand. I wish there were a better system than the waitlist, but it's what we have. Cliche as it is, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. If only I could follow my own advice.

I wish all schools released tiers at least.. I don't see the point of making everything so secret

I'm not applying to any MD programs but I wish you all the best of luck!
I wanted to say, if you feel like there's something lacking with your interview skills look in your area for someone that can help with that. You don't have to "change your personality in a couple of months," you just need to learn how to interview well. I have heard of people that can specifically train you for MD interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I wish all schools released tiers at least.. I don't see the point of making everything so secret
I agree. Knowing my spot would make my preparations for the next year more manageable.

If you don't get accepted off seven waitlists, I will eat my own hat and another hat of your choosing.
Just admit that you want to eat a hat. It's ok. This is a safe space. No need to create reasons to justify your desire

So you're saying if we keep posting in this thread we'll get an acceptance? Say no more.

Reactions: 7 users
So you're saying if we keep posting in this thread we'll get an acceptance? Say no more.
You may have to use some sort of banana image. It worked well for many wait listers last year. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You may have to use some sort of banana image. It worked well for many wait listers last year. :D
I heard this year you have to eat a hat. Tougher to get in every year....

Reactions: 3 users
Which thread exactly are you referring to?

If someone is offered a seat off the waitlist, typically how long do they have to respond by? Is it 2 weeks, or is it different for every school? I apologize if this has been asked before.

If someone is offered a seat off the waitlist, typically how long do they have to respond by? Is it 2 weeks, or is it different for every school? I apologize if this has been asked before.

I think it varies, but the time period shortens the closer we get to orientation. For the waitlists I'm on, I believe it is now one week.

For one of my schools, I heard it was 3 weeks. Though one of my friends got unwaitlisted for a md/PhD and they gave them a 48 hour turnaround.

And for those in this thread without an acceptance, the response time will be approximately 3.2 seconds. 3.3 if you're feeling especially lazy.

Reactions: 10 users

Here is a quick fact/checklist for wait list

-- April 1st is the first National Acceptance Report where every school can see where you have been accepted. It does not report WL or where you have applied.
--April 30th is the acceptance deadline date set by the AAMC traffic rules.
--Prior to April 30th, schools should give you two weeks to decide before requiring refundable deposit.
--After April 30, they need to give you 5 days, dropping to 2 days if within 30 days of that school's orientation.
--Most schools follow the 5 day rule post April 30th. That is, if you get a offer April 28th, expect May 5th to be expected reply to school
--You may hold as many waitlists as you want and can change without deposit penalty
--No school is required to give you Financial Aid info prior to your decision. Several schools I have dealt with will not produce Financial Aid until you have given a decision (why work on something that may not be needed)
--If you call a school (or both schools if having two offers) you can ask if they will hold until Financial Aid is ready but you have to call both.
--If you get a waitlist acceptance after April 30, the new school has to inform the existing school prior to informing you
--If you get a waitlist acceptance, the 5 day rule applies to both old and new school. Do not assume you have safe acceptance without acting
--So while all these rules are in place, most schools do not rush to enforce them However, they can and your acceptance can be rescinded without recourse
--You can always call both schools to ask if any questions, concerns, or requests for additional decision time. Doesnt hurt to ask

The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers

Wow 2 days in some cases? Man I flew internationally and it once took me 50+ hours and I did not have interact access in those times. I guess no travel like that for a while....

It's confirmed that one of my WL schools is releasing its first big batch of acceptances tomorrow(really today; it's well past midnight). Avoiding the heck out of this place if I don't get an email!

It's confirmed that one of my WL schools is releasing its first big batch of acceptances tomorrow(really today; it's well past midnight). Avoiding the heck out of this place if I don't get an email!

which school? if you dont mind me asking

@ gyngyn any movement at UC Irvine or Albany lately?

Thanks in advance!

which school? if you dont mind me asking
Wake Forest. There is a person who works at the school who posts updates in the school's application thread.

Haven't heard anything but also haven't seen anyone post they did, so not sure if I've been passed up again. I was up so late last night on the verge of a panic attack, sigh. I should block this website from my phone and laptop.

Wake Forest. There is a person who works at the school who posts updates in the school's application thread.

Haven't heard anything but also haven't seen anyone post they did, so not sure if I've been passed up again. I was up so late last night on the verge of a panic attack, sigh. I should block this website from my phone and laptop.
Probably, but the premed in you says not to do it

Probably, but the premed in you says not to do it
Basically.
Me: Don't go on SDN. Seeing you were passed up again will just upset you.
Also me: But imagine how relieved you'll feel if you load the page and see no new acceptances have been reported yet.

Edit: And there go the acceptances! People are saying their portal status changed, which mine didn't, so welp.

Last edited:
Hey guys, hang in there! Finally got two acceptances this week after unending silence. Waitlists are moving!

I'd be interested in WL movement at NYU and Boston (Vermont & Wayne State too, if you have any overlap).

I'll give a complete report tomorrow.
I can't seem to get out of the dang hospital this week!

Congrats to those who got acceptances in the past two days :)

Am I alone in not being able to shake the feeling that all of the "keep the hope, guys" stories are false hope BS for you because there really was something so off-putting about your app that schools are just waitlisting you as a nice way of rejecting you? It's just a feeling I have. I think for me it might be a combination of meh interview skills and lackluster LORs. I had the hardest time getting my writers to actually produce the letters they enthusiastically agreed to write for me. One professor, whom I know wasn't just agreeing to write it to be nice because he always called me his "star student" when he passed me in the halls and bragged about me to other professors, just completely never got back to me for almost two months. I tried to track him down in his office several times and could never find him. Finally, I emailed him asking if he still was able to provide the letter, and he wrote back, "Oh, right, let me get on that!" and submitted it to Interfolio 20 minutes later. Another professor did something similar. I just know those weren't great letters if they were thrown together in 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't have many other options as a post-bacc who had been out of school for many years and was just there to take some prereqs. I really feel like I'm just setting myself up for repeated disappointment by continuing to tell myself there's a chance.

Reactions: 5 users
Basically.
Me: Don't go on SDN. Seeing you were passed up again will just upset you.
Also me: But imagine how relieved you'll feel if you load the page and see no new acceptances have been reported yet.

Edit: And there go the acceptances! People are saying their portal status changed, which mine didn't, so welp.
That's pretty much me every day check email daily at acceptance time then check portal to make sure the email didn't go not late.

Am I alone in not being able to shake the feeling that all of the "keep the hope, guys" stories are false hope BS for you because there really was something so off-putting about your app that schools are just waitlisting you as a nice way of rejecting you? It's just a feeling I have. I think for me it might be a combination of meh interview skills and lackluster LORs. I had the hardest time getting my writers to actually produce the letters they enthusiastically agreed to write for me. One professor, whom I know wasn't just agreeing to write it to be nice because he always called me his "star student" when he passed me in the halls and bragged about me to other professors, just completely never got back to me for almost two months. I tried to track him down in his office several times and could never find him. Finally, I emailed him asking if he still was able to provide the letter, and he wrote back, "Oh, right, let me get on that!" and submitted it to Interfolio 20 minutes later. Another professor did something similar. I just know those weren't great letters if they were thrown together in 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't have many other options as a post-bacc who had been out of school for many years and was just there to take some prereqs. I really feel like I'm just setting myself up for repeated disappointment by continuing to tell myself there's a chance.
I definitely understand your feeling when it comes to having hope. It's even worse when everyone else you know has already gotten accepted this cycle.

Hey! As a fellow waitlisted applicant, I know what it's like to constantly do mental acrobatics and repetitively run down my list of 'if only's' ("If only I'd studied harder this semester, if only I'd known this, if only I'd spent more time at office hours..."). I had a similar experience with my LORs where I felt like I was treading the line between harassment and 'just a friendly reminder' more than once. My boss of one year who was nothing short of effusive toward me was the last to submit his rec, which I think was probably (at least partially) written by one of the admins in the office. But at the end of the day, you gotta figure your 'what ifs?' can work the other way. What if your professor had thrown together a pretty solid LOR in those 20 minutes after all? I mean, it's not like it was their first LOR. Not to mention it's definitely better these were people who knew you (and from the sound of it, really, really liked you) and were able to form a personalized letter for you instead of some generic mad libs LOR.

Hang in there! Some waitlists are probably friendly rejections but others are legit. I don't know which ones you're on, but either way, we're all gonna be okay and just have to keep chugging.

I tried to track him down in his office several times and could never find him. Finally, I emailed him asking if he still was able to provide the letter, and he wrote back, "Oh, right, let me get on that!" and submitted it to Interfolio 20 minutes later.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the letters weren't good. Your professors have probably written dozens and dozens of letters for their students, so they know what to write and can write it quickly. From what you said, it seems like your professor really liked you and had many great things to say about you. At some point, you just have to trust the people that you ask.

Another reason I feel like something must be setting off major red flags is I'm URM with almost a 4.0 GPA. According to the LizzyM calculator, I have an 88% chance of acceptance. And yet.

Oh well. I ate some chocolate ice cream and feel a little better.

Reactions: 5 users
Another reason I feel like something must be setting off major red flags is I'm URM with almost a 4.0 GPA. According to the LizzyM calculator, I have an 88% chance of acceptance. And yet.

Oh well. I ate some chocolate ice cream and feel a little better.
It's also possible you did everything fine, but your school like wasn't good. Which could mean that if you need to apply again you'd be in good shape with a good list.

It's also possible you did everything fine, but your school like wasn't good. Which could mean that if you need to apply again you'd be in good shape with a good list.
I applied in-state and low-to-mid-tier, so I don't really know what I could've done different aside from apply DO. I can't afford to go through the application process again, so I'm just hoping my feeling is wrong. I might try to save up to apply to a handful of DO schools later on if I don't get in.

I applied in-state and low-to-mid-tier, so I don't really know what I could've done different aside from apply DO. I can't afford to go through the application process again, so I'm just hoping my feeling is wrong. I might try to save up to apply to a handful of DO schools later on if I don't get in.
Well I don't know your application, but from what I understand it's smart to apply to schools where your grades are around the average. With a 4.0 idk if low tier schools were a good target.

And I feel you on the cost. I only had the funds to apply once as well. :\

Well I don't know your application, but from what I understand it's smart to apply to schools where your grades are around the average. With a 4.0 idk if low tier schools were a good target.

And I feel you on the cost. I only had the funds to apply once as well. :\
Yeah, I was in a weird spot because I had a high GPA but only decent MCAT and didn't have a huge impressive resume loaded with research and clinical experience because I was a career changer. So I wasn't a fit for upper-tier schools either. *shrug*

:/ Yeah, the costs are insanely prohibitive for many.

Will we usually get an email if we miss a call? Currently out of the country and hoping this early they won't pass up a person on the spot. Should I email schools to let them know or just wait?

Will we usually get an email if we miss a call? Currently out of the country and hoping this early they won't pass up a person on the spot. Should I email schools to let them know or just wait?
Definitely email them. I'd imagine you'd get an email, but they should know youd not pick the phone.

Since I last posted, there have been new acceptances at: CO, WUSTL, OHSU, MUSC, Temple, UCI, Wayne, Northstate, Case, Hofstra, UCD, Cincinnati, VCU, NYU, Meharry and FIU.
There was a lot of movement at: Cornell, USF, and a boatload at SUNY Brooklyn.

Reactions: 14 users
Yeah, I was in a weird spot because I had a high GPA but only decent MCAT and didn't have a huge impressive resume loaded with research and clinical experience because I was a career changer. So I wasn't a fit for upper-tier schools either. *shrug*

:/ Yeah, the costs are insanely prohibitive for many.
This is me exactly! Feel ya