Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every time my coworkers ask if I've gotten into medschool, I die a little on the inside :(
you could always politely tell them to stop asking! nothing wrong with that. just let them know things aren't going exactly how you planned and it's a stressful time for you and each time it gets brought up, it stresses you out. If I was on the receiving end of that, I'd totally understand and stop asking haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, just got my last rejection. Time to officially start getting ready to reapply! I'll probably be over it later but right now I'm feeling like such a failure for not even managing to get on a single wait list. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, just got my last rejection. Time to officially start getting ready to reapply! I'll probably be over it later but right now I'm feeling like such a failure for not even managing to get on a single wait list. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear!
Oh no! That honestly effing sucks and you are most definitely allowed to grieve, so to speak. Everyone always expects you just suck all the rejection up and be ok, but honestly it's ok to not be ok sometimes.

Wishing you the best of luck with your reapp!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically 1 week until our lives may begin to get a little bit brighter by wait list movement after Traffic Day!

EDIT: Think I'll be nauseous for the whole month of May :grumpy:

Reactions: 8 users
It's hard for me not to feel like a failure when every time family/friends ask for the latest, my reply is "well, got another waitlist, so..." At this point, starting to work on a re-app gives me that feeling of a little bit of control, instead of just waiting around for a school to bestow its judgment on me.
I feel exactly the same way. Its even worse when they follow up with "I know someone who also didnt get in the first time and they went to [better school than me] for undergrad and scored [much higher than me] on the MCAT." Right now, I feel a bit like a deer staring in headlights. Frozen in indecisiveness knowing that I should move and start working on reapplying but still hoping I wont get smashed.
you could always politely tell them to stop asking! nothing wrong with that. just let them know things aren't going exactly how you planned and it's a stressful time for you and each time it gets brought up, it stresses you out. If I was on the receiving end of that, I'd totally understand and stop asking haha
Thats definitely true. Though at the same time, I know they mean well and the fact they believe that ill get off waitlists is nice :rolleyes:
Basically 1 week until our lives may begin to get a little bit brighter by wait list movement after Traffic Day!

Hope so! The nausea has already begun for me. Though it also may have been the result of me eating a large chunk of cheese before sleeping :laugh:

Listen, you are absolutely not a failure. I know you probably feel like crap right now but it's just a bump in the road! Only like 40% of applicants get in each year, which is insanely competitive. Take some time now to do things that make you happy, then work on your app! #TreatYoSelf

Reactions: 5 users

The nausea started this weekend for me, coupled with insomnia... Couldn't shut my brain off last night and ended up getting 4 hours of sleep before work UGH

here's to hoping we get put out of our misery soon (with good news only, of course :) )

Reactions: 4 users
My DO delayed decision has turned into a waitlist. I'm pretty bummed. I really like the school, and I'm already really involved in the school community.

:(

1 DO WL, 1 MD WL.

At what point do you sit down and turn in a new set of apps? If I'm still on WLs at the start of June, is that when I should pay the money to reapply?

My DO delayed decision has turned into a waitlist. I'm pretty bummed. I really like the school, and I'm already really involved in the school community.

1 DO WL, 1 MD WL.

At what point do you sit down and turn in a new set of apps? If I'm still on WLs at the start of June, is that when I should pay the money to reapply?

ASAP.

That's just the cost of business, man. It's sucks but timing is important.

Submit your primary on day one, but only pay the processing fee and submit to one school. Come July, you can submit to more if no movement has occurred. At least, that's my plan for keeping costs to a minimum/maximizing timing.

Reactions: 1 users

1 DO WL, 1 MD WL.

@gonnif has some really great advice about reapplying, and the main point that he repeatedly stresses is that the most common mistake reapplicants make is applying again too soon. If you're fairly confident that your issue was something easily fixed (school list, late application, etc.) or if you've made significant improvements since the start of the cycle, then your best bet is to take the above advice and quickly apply to one school to get verified and wait and see. If that's not the case, though, as unpleasant as it can be to consider, you are probably better off taking at least another year to strengthen your application. You want to apply again when you're at your best, even if it means having to wait.

Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread! Fingers crossed for you all big time!

ASAP.

That's just the cost of business, man. It's sucks but timing is important.
I mean, can't submit until June, anyway! I've already started doing a little PS work, but I'm gonna pray that traffic day brings good news. April showers, May flowers and all that.

Reactions: 1 users
@gonnif has some really great advice about reapplying, and the main point that he repeatedly stresses is that the most common mistake reapplicants make is applying again too soon. If you're fairly confident that your issue was something easily fixed (school list, late application, etc.) or if you've made significant improvements since the start of the cycle, then your best bet is to take the above advice and quickly apply to one school to get verified and wait and see. If that's not the case, though, as unpleasant as it can be to consider, you are probably better off taking at least another year to strengthen your application. You want to apply again when you're at your best, even if it means having to wait.

Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread! Fingers crossed for you all big time!

I applied very, very, very late to a small number of schools. So. very. late. Really kicking myself over it - I took a relatively late MCAT, and I should've been writing essays and getting prepared before I got my scores back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied very, very, very late to a small number of schools. So. very. late. Really kicking myself over it - I took a relatively late MCAT, and I should've been writing essays and getting prepared before I got my scores back.
Gotcha. Well in that case you're probably in good shape for the next cycle if one of the waitlists doesn't work out!

I mean, can't submit until June, anyway! I've already started doing a little PS work, but I'm gonna pray that traffic day brings good news. April showers, May flowers and all that.

Do the one school trick and get verified at least.

How long should I make my LOI with a little update? Also, what specific information do I really need to convey? Having trouble fitting it all into just one page. Help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How long should I make my LOI with a little update? Also, what specific information do I really need to convey? Having trouble fitting it all into just one page. Help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
For my letter of intent for another school, I tried my best to show how I would the school would be a good fit for me and how I "resonated" with the schools' value. In the end, my letter was a little over a page after including the header and signature.

Things are just getting bleaker for me. I'm taking my final pre-req this semester (O-chem 2) and it looks like I'm going to get a D! At this point, I'm thinking about withdrawing my waitlist spot and either a) switching careers or b) applying to an SMP.

2017 had honestly been the worst!

Things are just getting bleaker for me. I'm taking my final pre-req this semester (O-chem 2) and it looks like I'm going to get a D! At this point, I'm thinking about withdrawing my waitlist spot and either a) switching careers or b) applying to an SMP.

SMP would be your best bet.
Don't give up on the dream!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a way to retake over the summer in case you get in off the waitlist?

1 DO WL, 1 MD WL.

This is Goro's advice regarding waitlists from another thread. A good dose of reality for most of us still here.
"Everyone on a wait list should consider themselves rejected and be working on Plan B, until they have an accept in hand."

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a way to retake over the summer in case you get in off the waitlist?
Unfortunately, no. The deadline for all coursework to be completed is June 15th.

The only thing I could do in that case is to ask them if my 1 semester of biochem could count instead

Me trying to get into med school:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 8 users
PS everyone - my observation over this past year is that you are all bright, caring, dedicated people with much to offer the medical profession. Remember that most of our friends and family likely don't understand what it's like to apply to med school, how common it is to have to reapply, and the dedication we feel to this career. Let's not forget that our value extends beyond this process and that there is a world full of experiences waiting for us outside of AMCAS. Don't let this process (or anyone else) dictate how you feel about yourself, and just keep on shining. And don't give up!

Reactions: 22 users
PS everyone - my observation over this past year is that you are all bright, caring, dedicated people with much to offer the medical profession. Remember that most of our friends and family likely don't understand what it's like to apply to med school, how common it is to have to reapply, and the dedication we feel to this career. Let's not forget that our value extends beyond this process and that there is a world full of experiences waiting for us outside of AMCAS. Don't let this process (or anyone else) dictate how you feel about yourself, and just keep on shining. And don't give up!
@bananafish94 , you know sockpuppeting is against the TOS, right? :laugh:

Last edited:
No matter what happens in the coming weeks, I just wanted to give a shout-out to all of y'all. Over the past year, I have been blown away by how supportive the SDN community is of one another. A quick post offering words of advice, condolences, or congratulations may not seem like a lot, but they MATTER. I can't tell you how many days I've been feeling down, logged onto SDN, and seen a post that gets me smiling again. Most of us don't have anyone in our lives that truly understands what we are going through right now, which is what makes a place like this so special. Beyond thankful for a community that is so full of empathy and hope. Can't wait to *hopefully* be your colleague one day.

Reactions: 22 users
@Cauchy1, I'm so sorry to hear your news, but keeping my tiny plastic claws crossed for your other waitlists. It's not over yet! PS your username is awesome.

It's gonna be May...

Reactions: 10 users
I'm really nervous for tomorrow. At this point, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment though I'm still hoping for the best. I can't speak for everyone though for me, this application cycle has definitely been filled with loads of unexpected twists and turns. While the results may not have been what we expected, we have almost made it through the cycle. And I think that's an accomplishment in itself.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope that one day I'll be able to stand among you as a fellow doctor.

Reactions: 19 users
Couldn't have said it better myself, Hau5MD! This thread is full of love, support, and encouragement. Thank you for contributing your thoughts on the cycle and on tomorrow. I'm right there with ya! Each day, I have hope that today will be the day that I get the call or the email saying what I've been working towards for the last 6.5 years--as a non-trad dreamer--you will be a doctor. All I can think of to say right now to those of you on waitlists like myself--is that it's truly not over until the first day of classes start. While the odds decrease as the closer that day comes, the odds aren't zero. Until my odds actually are zero and it's over, I'm riding on that waitlist train all the way to that final stop if need be. Hang in there guys and gals! Sending everyone hugs!

Reactions: 11 users
Happy traffic day, y'all! This is only the beginning of waitlist movement, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that good news arrives quickly for all of us. Someday, we'll be doctors. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 13 users
Accepted off of w/l this morning. Guessing I hold the distinction of the first winner on traffic day.

Keep the faith, everyone. Good luck.

Reactions: 36 users
Accepted off of w/l this morning. Guessing I hold the distinction of the first winner on traffic day.

Wow!! That is so awesome, congratulations! Where will you be going, if you don't mind sharing?

wow thats early congrats!!!!!!!

Did you do anything proactive like updates or whatnot or just wait it out?

Did y'all have to send the letter of interest to the schools?

After 8 interviews, 7 freaking waitlists and 1 silence, I finally got my first acceptance this morning! It's been a time of chaos, doubt and sooo much praying (yeah I'm religious), and THANK GOD. I'll keep praying for y'all who are waiting. YAY I CAN QUIT MY JOB NOW.

Reactions: 40 users
After 8 interviews, 7 freaking waitlists and 1 silence, I finally got my first acceptance this morning! It's been a time of chaos, doubt and sooo much praying (yeah I'm religious), and THANK GOD. I'll keep praying for y'all who are waiting. YAY I CAN QUIT MY JOB NOW.

Haha!! Awesome!!! Go quit right now lol this made me smile and laugh! Congratulations, soak it all in :) thanks for your prayers!

upload_2017-5-1_11-16-33.png

Me waiting throughout the day for a possible call and/or email.

Also, I'm happy for those of you who have already received your good news! I hope the wait made it that much sweeter.

Reactions: 20 users
View attachment 218342

Me waiting throughout the day for a possible call and/or email.

Also, I'm happy for those of you who have already received your good news! I hope the wait made it that much sweeter.

Today is actual traffic day (since April 30th was a Sunday) so expect a majority of the schools to get to their waitlist hopefully starting tomorrow.

Congrats to all who got off the waitlists so early! A huge part of me is really hoping I'll hear back this first week of May so I can stop my half-hearted reapplication efforts. WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION???

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! Is there a separate waitlist thread for this year, or is this thread being used for the same purpose?