Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got rejected from my top choice. I knew it was a long shot but when I got the II it really got my hopes up! I have one more school I'm waiting to hear from post-II but that might not be for months, and now I'm having a lowkey crisis. just wanted to vent a little.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I hear back post-interview for one more school next week and the suspense is KILLING ME. Sitting on a waitlist too and resisting starting to think about reapplying or what I'm going to do next year cause holding out hope....

I feel ya. Supposed to hear back from my last school post-interview soon. If that's a waitlist, I'll be 3/3 waitlists :( Even then I feel like it will be so hard to work on a re-app because it's so easy to think "what if." I hate how this whole thing is structured.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got rejected from my top choice. I knew it was a long shot but when I got the II it really got my hopes up! I have one more school I'm waiting to hear from post-II but that might not be for months, and now I'm having a lowkey crisis. just wanted to vent a little.
That sucks...I feel the same about my top choice. I think I have been silently waitlist/rejected post interview, and I wouldn't have expected an interview, but getting one made me feel like I had a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope you recieve good news soon!
I feel ya. Supposed to hear back from my last school post-interview soon. If that's a waitlist, I'll be 3/3 waitlists :( Even then I feel like it will be so hard to work on a re-app because it's so easy to think "what if." I hate how this whole thing is structured.
Best of luck! I definitely know what you mean. In some ways, I feel like starting to work on re-app is giving up my last bit of hope even though it does feel like the logical thing to do. Working on letters of interest/intent alone already is super difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
Officially 3/3 on waitlists, guys. Time to dust off that personal statement! Hoping this will trick fate into an acceptance off a waitlist lol

Officially 3/3 on waitlists, guys. Time to dust off that personal statement! Hoping this will trick fate into an acceptance off a waitlist lol
:( I definitely did glance at mine while writing update/interest combos. Still brings a tear to my eye when I read it. Uploaded a letter of intent today. Still contemplating if I should more letter of interests.

Another week into this process. Let's hope we get good news this week!

Reactions: 10 users
After 7 interviews, 4 wait lists, and one pending decision, I was finally accepted off the WL to my first choice school. Keep the faith everyone!! Best of luck to you all

Reactions: 15 users
After 24 rejections, 3 interviews, a post-interview reject, and a waitlist, I finally just got my first acceptance after a late April interview. I am so beyond overwhelmed. Thank you for all of you who have been supportive and to those of you still waiting NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Reactions: 25 users
4 interviews (OOS or low-yield); 3 rejections, 1 pending.

Probably going to have to take the new MCAT and reapply next year. :(

4 interviews (OOS or low-yield); 3 rejections, 1 pending.

Probably going to have to take the new MCAT and reapply next year. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck and hope your pending interview delivers good news!

27 rejections and 4 silence. I'm going to be a re-applicant, but I'm also going to be ok, and so will the rest of you.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Once an interview is offered they aren't low yield anymore.

These were my post-II rejections. Mayo-AZ is 100/450, and Einstein is 250-300/1000.

Could you clarify what you mean by they aren't low yield? I feel that schools who accept so few of their interviewees are considered low-yield.

These were my post-II rejections. Mayo-AZ is 100/450, and Einstein is 250-300/1000.

Could you clarify what you mean by they aren't low yield? I feel that schools who accept so few of their interviewees are considered low-yield.
Once interviewed, you are in a very small pool compared to the applicant pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
AAMC send me an email with the updated applicant guide and msar for 2017 and I'm feeling a little attacked rn. I haven't given up hope yet, what are you implying??

Reactions: 6 users
27 rejections and 4 silence. I'm going to be a re-applicant, but I'm also going to be ok, and so will the rest of you.

I can't like this enough. Not every hit is a home run, but the game is still on. Appreciate the healthy reminder that we are all actually okay.

The next 14 days cannot go by fast enough. I'm sitting on only one wait list from an interview that I don't think I did very well in. I've pretty much just resigned to reapplying at this point and accepted that I'm probably not going to get taken from it but if it happens, it happens.

One of my good friends who I helped prepare applications just got waitlisted from his only interview. Damn. I almost forgot how discouraging this whole thing is.

I have so much respect for everybody on here who maintains a good attitude throughout this whole process. From my own experience, it does get better. I didn't get accepted off the waitlist until I was finished with an entirely new primary application, and the act of taking control back into my own hands and actually doing something rather than just waiting around for somebody to maybe contact me really helped out a lot. Things happen when you least expect it, but until then I will be hoping for all of you to get some good news soon.

Reactions: 14 users
Officially 3/3 in terms of interviews and waitlists.

Hoping one of these turns into an acceptance!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Currently 3/3 as well! Busting my ass with 60+ hours/week of combined clinical work and volunteering should a reapplication become necessary.

@gyngyn Are you going to track Wait List movement in this thread this year or is there a WL thread out there I'm missing? Thank you!

I’ve been reading through the waitlist support thread from last year and thought I’d compile the info to make this year a bit easier for myself and others. Settle in, this could get lengthy. All credit goes to the great and powerful @gyngyn —he is doing God’s work on these forums. 99% of this is from last year's posts, but I didn't quote it. Go look it up if you'd like.

April 30th is traffic day. AMCAS sets the guideline that people with multiple acceptances have to commit to one school and take their name out of consideration at the others. After traffic day, adcoms can see the schools that their accepted and waitlisted students are holding acceptances at. Each school has its own rules, but from what I gather the students are coerced into making a final decision quite quickly.

Since April 30th is a Sunday this year, May 1st is the day of real traffic day. HOWEVER, this does not mean we need to panic and compulsively check our emails/portals/SDN/etc because there might not be that much movement this day (not that it’s going to stop me). Most schools accept more than the class size to buffer for initial traffic day flow. Gyngyn said many times in the past that if a waitlist is moving that it means the school has gone through their buffer students and the waitlist will continue moving. The earlier a waitlist begins moving, the better. That means there are lots of students that are giving up their seats for us lowly peasants who haven’t been offered one yet.

There are waves of waitlist movement. Once a student is offered a spot, they have a certain amount of time to decide. Schools batch offer the empty seats, wait for decisions, then fill the holes. I believe these waves are every couple of weeks. Waitlists continue moving until orientation, but the bulk of the movement is in the first month or so (this could be off, details are a little hazy here).

On a side note, I'm on the waitlist at USF (my only MD interview). USF hasn’t accepted many students since January according to the threads from this year and the previous ones, so it might be the case that certain schools build a larger waitlist rather than the buffer acceptances. This is mostly speculation but it may explain why some schools have huge waitlist movement and others are quieter. USF is already accepting off of the waitlist according to the thread.

Poaching kept coming up and I didn’t understand why it kept being repeated. Let’s say a student is accepted to school Y and is on a waitlist at school X. After traffic day, school X can see that the student is holding an acceptance at Y, but X decides to offer the student a seat. School X has to notify Y of the offer, but the student is largely unaffected by the poaching. The student goes to the more desirable school and Y has a new seat to fill. X has poached the student from Y. The cascade starts after that, Y poaches from Z and so on.

Now we come back to @gyngyn . He can see all of the other schools his accepted and waitlisted applicants hold acceptances to. Since he is based in California, there will be lots of overlap with CA, AZ, private schools, etc. Alabama? Not so much. In the past, he has updated with the movement after he sees it, noting which schools (only the ones with overlap) post acceptances. Again, he's doing God's work so maybe we don't pester him with questions all day long? (movement at X? movement at Y? movement at Z? -- I imagine it gets a little tiresome). Also sorry gyngyn if you're not a dude, but I've seen the male pronouns associated before so I figured I'd run with it please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I encourage everyone to monitor your own school's subforum and post movement either here or in whichever thread becomes the pseudo-official waitlist thread. Not that it really helps, but I'd love to see lots of movement in Florida to potentially open up some seats at USF (I only need one). All of this is just so I don't feel so helpless waiting for news--really don't like that USF doesn't allow updates but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Lastly, DO waitlists have a different system. I believe their traffic day is May 15th, but I'm not positive. Currently sitting on four of those waitlists too so I'm sure a DO version of this thread will become active in May.

Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 20 users
I’ve been reading through the waitlist support thread from last year and thought I’d compile the info to make this year a bit easier for myself and others. Settle in, this could get lengthy. All credit goes to the great and powerful @gyngyn —he is doing God’s work on these forums. 99% of this is from last year's posts, but I didn't quote it. Go look it up if you'd like.

April 30th is traffic day. AMCAS sets the guideline that people with multiple acceptances have to commit to one school and take their name out of consideration at the others. After traffic day, adcoms can see the schools that their accepted and waitlisted students are holding acceptances at. Each school has its own rules, but from what I gather the students are coerced into making a final decision quite quickly.

Since April 30th is a Sunday this year, May 1st is the day of real traffic day. HOWEVER, this does not mean we need to panic and compulsively check our emails/portals/SDN/etc because there might not be that much movement this day (not that it’s going to stop me). Most schools accept more than the class size to buffer for initial traffic day flow. Gyngyn said many times in the past that if a waitlist is moving that it means the school has gone through their buffer students and the waitlist will continue moving. The earlier a waitlist begins moving, the better. That means there are lots of students that are giving up their seats for us lowly peasants who haven’t been offered one yet.

There are waves of waitlist movement. Once a student is offered a spot, they have a certain amount of time to decide. Schools batch offer the empty seats, wait for decisions, then fill the holes. I believe these waves are every couple of weeks. Waitlists continue moving until orientation, but the bulk of the movement is in the first month or so (this could be off, details are a little hazy here).

On a side note, I'm on the waitlist at USF (my only MD interview). USF hasn’t accepted many students since January according to the threads from this year and the previous ones, so it might be the case that certain schools build a larger waitlist rather than the buffer acceptances. This is mostly speculation but it may explain why some schools have huge waitlist movement and others are quieter. USF is already accepting off of the waitlist according to the thread.

Poaching kept coming up and I didn’t understand why it kept being repeated. Let’s say a student is accepted to school Y and is on a waitlist at school X. After traffic day, school X can see that the student is holding an acceptance at Y, but X decides to offer the student a seat. School X has to notify Y of the offer, but the student is largely unaffected by the poaching. The student goes to the more desirable school and Y has a new seat to fill. X has poached the student from Y. The cascade starts after that, Y poaches from Z and so on.

Now we come back to @gyngyn . He can see all of the other schools his accepted and waitlisted applicants hold acceptances to. Since he is based in California, there will be lots of overlap with CA, AZ, private schools, etc. Alabama? Not so much. In the past, he has updated with the movement after he sees it, noting which schools (only the ones with overlap) post acceptances. Again, he's doing God's work so maybe we don't pester him with questions all day long? (movement at X? movement at Y? movement at Z? -- I imagine it gets a little tiresome). Also sorry gyngyn if you're not a dude, but I've seen the male pronouns associated before so I figured I'd run with it please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I encourage everyone to monitor your own school's subforum and post movement either here or in whichever thread becomes the pseudo-official waitlist thread. Not that it really helps, but I'd love to see lots of movement in Florida to potentially open up some seats at USF (I only need one). All of this is just so I don't feel so helpless waiting for news--really don't like that USF doesn't allow updates but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Lastly, DO waitlists have a different system. I believe their traffic day is May 15th, but I'm not positive. Currently sitting on four of those waitlists too so I'm sure a DO version of this thread will become active in May.

Good luck everyone.
But why go through the trouble of trying to poach applicants from other schools when they could just take the applicants who haven't been accepted anywhere?

But why go through the trouble of trying to poach applicants from other schools when they could just take the applicants who haven't been accepted anywhere?
Because those students are generally more qualified, hence why they have already been accepted somewhere.

Reactions: 7 users
IMG_2954.GIF
Because those students are generally more qualified, hence why they have already been accepted somewhere.

Reactions: 8 users
Just come in here to wish you all good luck after traffic day. It must be a tough situation to be in and I wish u all luck

Having other acceptances does not change an applicants desirability. The committee's enthusiasm for a candidate remains the same whether they have acceptances or not.

The candidate holding an acceptance does come with drawbacks, though. They are more likely to decline. They tend to take longer to decide (they want to wait for financial aid packages). Depending on when the seat becomes available, we will have to notify the school where they are holding an acceptance when we offer the spot.

Most schools know the places from which they can easily poach and where they have little chance, though.

Anther factor is the start date for the school where the candidate is holding. We lose the opportunity to poach them after orientation starts or they begin a pre-matriculation program. This may influence the timing of specific offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The waiting game is wild. I've taken up so many random hobbies! I've taught myself how to crochet, and I'm trying to make a scarf (pretty badly tbh). I'm pretty sure I'm healthier now that I've been in a long time because I keep taking really long walks to get my mind off of things. What are some crazy things you guys are doing to keep yourselves sane?

Reactions: 5 users
The waiting game is wild. I've taken up so many random hobbies! I've taught myself how to crochet, and I'm trying to make a scarf (pretty badly tbh). I'm pretty sure I'm healthier now that I've been in a long time because I keep taking really long walks to get my mind off of things. What are some crazy things you guys are doing to keep yourselves sane?

Working long hours at work, going to the gym, reading books about medicine and playing PS4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been baking and cooking a lot more than normal. I figured if I can't be happy right now at least I can give my friends and family free cake

Reactions: 8 users
I've been baking and cooking a lot more than normal. I figured if I can't be happy right now at least I can give my friends and family free cake
Dude I totally have brownies in the oven.

Having other acceptances does not change an applicants desirability. The committee's enthusiasm for a candidate remains the same whether they have acceptances or not.

The candidate holding an acceptance does come with drawbacks, though. They are more likely to decline. They tend to take longer to decide (they want to wait for financial aid packages). Depending on when the seat becomes available, we will have to notify the school where they are holding an acceptance when we offer the spot.

Most schools know the places from which they can easily poach and where they have little chance, though.

Anther factor is the start date for the school where the candidate is holding. We lose the opportunity to poach them after orientation starts or they begin a pre-matriculation program. This may influence the timing of specific offers.

Would you say that, committee enthusiasm being similar to other candidates with acceptances, a candidate without acceptances would be more likely to be chosen off the waitlist?

Dude I totally have brownies in the oven.

That sounds super yummy. Post pictures! I'll post pics of my cakes after I finish my shift.

Edit:
eeHvpTO.jpg

I decided to channel my inner Christina Tosi and baked her signature birthday cake! Layered sprinkle vanilla cake with vanilla soak and birthday sprinkle crumble.

Other cake (also following her cookbook)
GdHVZid.jpg

Vanilla cake with passion fruit soak, passion fruit puree, dark chocolate crumbs, and coffee frosting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Would you say that, committee enthusiasm being similar to other candidates with acceptances, a candidate without acceptances would be more likely to be chosen off the waitlist?
It would depend on timing.
Early in waitlist season, someone with acceptances may be a better administrative choice (as long as the other school is "poachable") since we will lose the opportunity when orientation starts. Late in the season, someone who will immediately accept is a better choice.

It would depend on timing.
Early in waitlist season, someone with acceptances may be a better administrative choice (as long as the other school is "poachable") since we will lose the opportunity when orientation starts. Late in the season, someone who will immediately accept is a better choice.
I can understand the administrative reasoning behind poaching for accepting someone with no acceptances
But it feels weird that a school would evaluate someone based on whether they applied to other schools
Eg a person might have no acceptances because they only applied to a few schools and it would have no bearing on them as an applicant

I can understand the administrative reasoning behind poaching for accepting someone with no acceptances
But it feels weird that a school would evaluate someone based on whether they applied to other schools
Eg a person might have no acceptances because they only applied to a few schools and it would have no bearing on them as an applicant
It's purely operational.
Waitlist candidates with acceptances will be lost if not accepted before the orientation start date. Equally good candidates without acceptances will be available much longer.
We expect that all candidates have applied to a sufficient number of appropriate schools.

It's purely operational.
Waitlist candidates with acceptances will be lost if not accepted before the orientation start date. Equally good candidates without acceptances will be available much longer.
Yeah I understand

So much walking! Especially as the weather gets nicer. Also I've been getting into writing. And possibly planning a move to another country if I need to take another gap year, but we'll see about that.

Hey y'all I thought I'd join this thread, I got that sick 6/6 waitlist to interview ratio. One of my waitlists is middle third, one is bottom third and one is "high priority." (I also hold a DO acceptance so I hope I'm still allowed here because I'd really like an allo acceptance)

These look super good!! It's totally on my bucket list to get her signature vanilla sprinkle cake from Milk Bar someday (too bad it's like $40 I think...hahaha)

That sounds super yummy. Post pictures! I'll post pics of my cakes after I finish my shift.

Edit:
eeHvpTO.jpg

I decided to channel my inner Christina Tosi and baked her signature birthday cake! Layered sprinkle vanilla cake with vanilla soak and birthday sprinkle crumble.

Other cake (also following her cookbook)
GdHVZid.jpg

Vanilla cake with passion fruit soak, passion fruit puree, dark chocolate crumbs, and coffee frosting.

These look super good!! It's totally on my bucket list to get her signature vanilla sprinkle cake from Milk Bar someday (too bad it's like $40 I think...hahaha)

I kind of want to get one just to see how mine compares to the real thing Though after making it, I can definitely see why she charges so much. It took 3.5 hours to make the cake from start to finish. Then after you assemble the cake you're supposed to freeze it for at least 4 hours.

Waiting now feels awful. But at least I'm 99% sure there won't be any more decisions until after May, because why accept someone now when that'll possibly give them like 3 days to decide.

But now I'm thinking May waiting will be absolutely brutal, because at least now I'm not optimistic or hopeful, but one week from now I will be. Hmm :whistle:

Waiting now feels awful. But at least I'm 99% sure there won't be any more decisions until after May, because why accept someone now when that'll possibly give them like 3 days to decide.

But now I'm thinking May waiting will be absolutely brutal, because at least now I'm not optimistic or hopeful, but one week from now I will be. Hmm :whistle:
Amen to that. It especially feels awful because I'm graduating two weeks from now, so naturally every conversation I have starts with the question "What are you doing next year?"

May adcoms please bless us in the coming month lest we go insane from waiting. :bow:

Amen to that. It especially feels awful because I'm graduating two weeks from now, so naturally every conversation I have starts with the question "What are you doing next year?"

May adcoms please bless us in the coming month lest we go insane from waiting. :bow:

I'm graduated so I've had over a year of "so what are you even doing now" lol

What I would do for a quick calculation of my odds of getting in this year. It is so hard to make plans when everything is so, so very up in the air.

I'm graduated so I've had over a year of "so what are you even doing now" lol
Every time my coworkers ask if I've gotten into medschool, I die a little on the inside :(
What I would do for a quick calculation of my odds of getting in this year. It is so hard to make plans when everything is so, so very up in the air.
Definitely. I just want closure or a definitive answer :eek:

Reactions: 10 users
Every time my coworkers ask if I've gotten into medschool, I die a little on the inside :(

Definitely. I just want closure or a definitive answer :eek:
It's hard for me not to feel like a failure when every time family/friends ask for the latest, my reply is "well, got another waitlist, so..." At this point, starting to work on a re-app gives me that feeling of a little bit of control, instead of just waiting around for a school to bestow its judgment on me.