Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re-applicant with 1 II and 1 waitlist. The wait is really dragging me down at this point... :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

@gyngyn any news from Rush? They emailed us Friday that the waitlist should start to move "in the very near future," but so far I've heard nothing.

Just joining the thread. I had 4 MD II's. Rejected from 2, still waiting to hear from 1 and in the top third of the waitlist at my state school. Hoping for the call soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else fire off a hail mary update letter at your wait list schools this week?

Anyone else fire off a hail mary update letter at your wait list schools this week?
One of my schools doesn't accept updates, but I'm planning to type up a letter of intent for another one after work. I already sent in a letter to my top choice months ago; not sure if it would be beneficial to send them anything else.

Just joining the thread. I had 4 MD II's. Rejected from 2, still waiting to hear from 1 and in the top third of the waitlist at my state school. Hoping for the call soon!
Congrats on being on the top third of the waitlist! I'm on a waitlist as well, and it's my last chance. It's driving me crazy. How did you find out you are on the top three of your waitlist? Did you contact the school other than sending update letters? Good luck!

I sent a letter of intent to my top school a few weeks ago and then sent them an update and a new letter of recommendation last week. they have had some movement this week but I haven't heard anything. @gyngyn do you think sending letters of intent/updates makes a difference?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on being on the top third of the waitlist! I'm on a waitlist as well, and it's my last chance. It's driving me crazy. How did you find out you are on the top three of your waitlist? Did you contact the school other than sending update letters? Good luck!

Thanks! This particular school will tell you which part you are in. I'm in the top 80 or so and they accepted 61 from the list last year so I am hopeful!

I haven't had much contact with them this cycle. I am a reapplicant and didn't send any updates this time around.

Luckily I do have an acceptance at a great DO school, so I know this will be my last cycle regardless, but I still want that MD acceptance.

Good luck with your waitlist!

Nope. Though I did send off a combination interest/update letter, a letter of intent, and a poster abstract to two of my schools a couple weeks before traffic day. Not sure if it had any effect.

Nope. Though I did send off a combination interest/update letter, a letter of intent, and a poster abstract to two of my schools a couple weeks before traffic day. Not sure if it had any effect.
Very small chance any kind of contact will make a difference at this point, but you never know.

Very small chance any kind of contact will make a difference at this point, but you never know.
True. Though at this point, thats pretty much all we can do (aside from surprise massive endowment donation).

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a letter of intent to my top school a few weeks ago and then sent them an update and a new letter of recommendation last week. they have had some movement this week but I haven't heard anything. @gyngyn do you think sending letters of intent/updates makes a difference?
Whatever effect the first contact may have had, a third will surely have none...
Technically speaking, LCME schools are not to receive letters outside the AMCAS system.

Since I last posted, there have been new acceptances at: CO, WUSTL, OHSU, MUSC, Temple, UCI, Wayne, Northstate, Case, Hofstra, UCD, Cincinnati, VCU, NYU, Meharry and FIU.
There was a lot of movement at: Cornell, USF, and a boatload at SUNY Brooklyn.

Hi I have a question...so BU said back in March that they won't start WL movement until June. Is there any reason why they do this?

The only reason I can think of for the delay is that they want to see how many of their acceptees leave post-Traffic day due to other schools' WL movement. But waiting a whole month? And also there should have been some spots opening up post traffic-day anyways. Last year they took 0 off WL so I'm assuming they dialed acceptance #s way back...?

Hi I have a question...so BU said back in March that they won't start WL movement until June. Is there any reason why they do this?

The only reason I can think of for the delay is that they want to see how many of their acceptees leave post-Traffic day due to other schools' WL movement. But waiting a whole month? And also there should have been some spots opening up post traffic-day anyways. Last year they took 0 off WL so I'm assuming they dialed acceptance #s way back...?
Is it possible that they were just giving an estimate based on historical norms?

Yeah it does suck guys...

lol

Their WL started moving at BU! My friend heard back yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Since I last posted, there have been new acceptances at: CO, WUSTL, OHSU, MUSC, Temple, UCI, Wayne, Northstate, Case, Hofstra, UCD, Cincinnati, VCU, NYU, Meharry and FIU.
Has there been movement at Georgetown at all ? Thanks

Have faith everyone! I totally didn't think I would get accepted since I was waitlisted by all three schools I interviewed at, but today I finally got the call.

I'm not going to say something lame like "just reapply and work on yourself" because that's not going to help at all. I honestly couldn't tell you what was the deciding factor in my acceptance other than I really believe my interview and research experience helped my lower than the average MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
YEAHHHHH CHEMIST!! YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOC!

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question for @gyngyn or anyone else willing to chime in:

If a school has had little waitlist movement thus far (UC Irvine in particular), does that mean there's going to be little movement going forward as well? It's a somewhat bad sign right?

Thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 users
Me a few years ago (after reading previous not accepted yet threads): If I don't get in when I apply I'll work harder on my application and apply again... :p
Me right now: ...said no one ever on wait-lists.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted the past week! Now I just need a little magic for that to happen to me, too:oops:

@gyngyn by CO do you mean U of Colorado?

Me a few years ago (after reading previous not accepted yet threads): If I don't get in when I apply I'll work harder on my application and apply again... :p
Me right now: ...said no one ever on wait-lists.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted the past week! Now I just need a little magic for that to happen to me, too:oops:
Nobody I talked to mentioned how nerve wracking or expensive this process would be. Then again, before experiencing it myself, I don't think I wouldve been able to imagine how bad it would be.

Best of luck to both of us!

Reactions: 4 users
Nobody I talked to mentioned how nerve wracking or expensive this process would be. Then again, before experiencing it myself, I don't think I wouldve been able to imagine how bad it would be.
Even if you mapped out how expensive it would be to the penny and got an Rx for Valium beforehand, it'd still be too nerve-wracking and expensive once you got to the other side.

Reactions: 1 users

Best of luck to both of us!
I have so much respect to re-applicants, more than ever.

Here's hope to good news for both of us and everyone who are still waiting ;)

If a school has had little waitlist movement thus far (UC Irvine in particular), does that mean there's going to be little movement going forward as well? It's a somewhat bad sign right?

Thank you very much!
The best thing that can happen to waitlisted candidates is early waitlist movement at the school you are interested in.

Reactions: 7 users
Is it normal for schools to only have a handful of people here and there reporting acceptances from the WL? I thought there would be mass movements being reported. All 3 of my schools have had some acceptances, but the most I've seen is I think 4 in a thread. The other two schools had 2 people post.

Is it normal for schools to only have a handful of people here and there reporting acceptances from the WL? I thought there would be mass movements being reported. All 3 of my schools have had some acceptances, but the most I've seen is I think 4 in a thread. The other two schools had 2 people post.
It is as normal for schools to have lots of movement on their waitlists as it is to no waitlist movement at all...and every thing in between.

Is this from SDN posting or inside source?

It is as normal for schools to have lots of movement on their waitlists as it is to no waitlist movement at all...and every thing in between.
:( Kinda figured but was hoping for another explanation. Thanks :)

The best thing that can happen to waitlisted candidates is early waitlist movement at the school you are interested in.

That sounds awful, but thank you very much!!!

So just to clarify, does that mean all this movement occurred today?

So just to clarify, does that mean all this movement occurred today?
These are acceptances that have been registered by the AAMC since my last post on acceptances (almost a week ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
These are acceptances that have been registered by the AAMC since my last post.
Ok, thank you! Fingers crossed that WashU is far from done...

Thank you very much!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but apparently someone in the UCI thread called admissions and it sounds like their class is full already. They said they don't anticipate more movement unless someone from the seated class declines a seat. I'm waitlisted there too, and just figured you'd want to know. :/

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but apparently someone in the UCI thread called admissions and it sounds like their class is full already. They said they don't anticipate more movement unless someone from the seated class declines a seat. I'm waitlisted there too, and just figured you'd want to know. :/
But that's really nothing new at this point. That is how people get in off the WL, if applicants with offers change their minds for a different offer.

All the classes start out full, overfilled, in fact, often with two to three times the number of seats. Waitlist movement begins when the excess is depleted. Once movement has started, any further poaching will result in another waitlist offer. If that person is holding a seat at another school (and their excess is depleted), they poach on down the food chain.

@gyngyn Can you comment on the pace of waitlist movement so far? Or is it still too early to tell?

All the classes start out full, overfilled, in fact, often with two to three times the number of seats. Waitlist movement begins when the excess is depleted. Once movement has started, any further poaching will result in another waitlist offer. If that person is holding a seat at another school (and their excess is depleted), they poach on down the food chain.

I understand that - I guess I meant to convey that at UCI in particular, things are moving very slowly, which probably isn't good news. Here's the exact quote from them - "We are accepting from our waitlist as positions become available. To be perfectly honest, at this point we have not seen much movement but things could change as we advance through the summer."

Since yesterday there have been acceptances at UCSF and NY Med and a boatload at Einstein and UCSD.

Im sorry to bother you but have you seen any more movement at brown since last week?