*** Official NYCOM Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dies Irae said:
Your right about that. I come from a middle-lower-middle class family and no one in my houshold has ever been on a health insurance plan worth $4000. If NYCOM is skimming off the top, then I have no clue where all that money would go, since there seems to be concern that they are having finanical issues. It seems enrolling at NYCOM is also agreeing to go by their health insurance policy. I also think its unfair to those of us who want a cheaper plan and those of us who like to live on the edge and not have any medical insurance at all. But I guess it is safe for them to presume that paying back our 200k loans in the future will not be that much of a strain on our future salaries. :scared:

One thing I'm sure of is that if I'm going to have to pay for NYCOM health insurance, I'm going to get my f'ing money's worth! I'm getting a full physical every two weeks with blood tests + any and every sort of checkup that the plan covers, even if its a mammogram-hell, i'll even get a colonoscopy. :laugh:

If it's any consolation, students can go to the NYCOM clinic anytime and as often as they want without having to pay anything for OMM treatment, or any primary care stuff for that matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys (especially Djquick83 and Dies Irae),

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your comments are just venting frustration, not the way you actually see the situation. If it is in fact how you view this situation, I think you all need to do a little research on the true costs of quality health insurance before orientation.

I understand the frustration with the price tag for the insurance, especially as the abstract idea of the cost of medical education and the associated living expenses are becoming a reality. I just sent new landlord the security deposit for my apartment, and even though it was less than a third of the cost of the health insurance, it still stung.

What are all these comments about NYCOM skimming money from the health care fees? Do you really not understand how much health insurance costs? In any case, it is irresponsible to make such accusations about our school. I highly doubt that NYCOM is making any money off this requirement; especially with all the time and personnel they need to invest in negotiating for this coverage. Quality health insurance costs a lot. If you haven’t learned it by now, you better pick up on it quickly.

In any case, even though the health insurance seems expensive (by the way, its less than $4k, more like $3500 for both Medical and Dental, Life and Disability insurance adds another $126 according to packet I received on my interview day), for a quality plan, it really is quite moderate.

Djquick83, you noted that your mother has approximately $700 deducted from her paycheck each year for health insurance. She should count herself incredibly lucky that her personal contribution is that low (especially for a family plan), for the true cost of that policy is probably closer to 10 times that amount. (I am assuming that her position is covered by a union or collective bargaining agreement, for there are very few non-union environments where the personal or family contributions for health care premiums are that low.) Ask her to drop by her Human Resources office and ask about the total cost of the policy that covers her family – the cost of the NYCOM plan won’t seem so bad after all.

Dies Irae, almost any quality health insurance policy that covers a family will cost more than $4000 a year. The total cost for my parent’s PPO plan (it also covers my sister) is over $10000 a year (it also includes dental insurance). And this doesn’t even cover everything. There is still a $500/person/year deductible for medical care.

My boyfriend has a PPO insurance plan. His policy costs over $5000 a year, of which he contributes a little less than $2000. The personal contributions for my policy are significantly lower, but my employer still contributed almost $3000 last year for my insurance policy (and that was for an HMO). The SO’s policy costs a bit more than average for a single employee, but he works for a smaller company that has a lot of older workers (both factors add to the cost of his policy).

Your mom’s personal contributions for her health plan are so low because her employer covers a significant portion of the cost for each policy. Whether this is required as part of a union contract or not, most employers pay for 50% or more of a premium policy (at least for the covered employee – family plans may have a greater employee contribution).
Most employees don’t understand the true cost of their health insurance because they only see the contribution that is taken out of their paycheck. Insurance companies require that employers cover the majority of a health plan’s cost in order to make the plan attractive for all employees, not just the employees with health issues. That way they cover employees with a wide range of health needs, not just the individuals who know they will need insurance for expensive medical problems. Otherwise, young, relatively healthy employees would sign up for a high deductible policy or just skip the company plan and just sign up for a lower cost individual plan.

Now that we’re on the subject of the individual plans, they may seem a great idea for a young healthy individual, but you really need to look at them carefully before you enroll. If you decide on an individual plan, you wouldn’t have the same rights as if you were covered by a group plan. Most of the time you have to submit your medical records to the company for review and you are not guaranteed a policy. Generally, only very healthy people are accepted into those plans (unless there are state laws requiring they accept all that apply). If you have any pre-existing medical conditions (even conditions from long ago that have since resolved), you may be forced to pay a higher premium or not have coverage for those conditions at all (for at least the first year). And if you apply for a policy and are denied, good luck finding another. Insurance companies will ask if you have ever been denied a policy or had a policy canceled and if you check that “yes” box, it is a huge red flag.

In some cases, if you really are healthy, a low-cost plan may not be a bad option if you are looking to pay a lower monthly premium. You just have to understand that to get that lower rate, you’re either giving up coverage for certain things (prescription coverage is often limited), have a lower lifetime limit, or a higher deductible. As students, we’re all trying to save money. That low-cost individual plan may seem like a great way to do that. But as students, we don’t have a lot of money lying around. If you do need medical care, how do you plan to pay for the $1000+ deductible, or the out-of-pocket costs for procedures that are not covered? God forbid you get seriously hurt and have an extended hospital stay. The policies with a $100,000 limit may seem like a bargain now, but that limit can be reached by less than one month in the hospital. Then what are you going to do?

Even if your problems don’t require a hospital stay, the costs for your care can quickly add up. You don’t want to be in a situation where you need to leave school in order to pay for your medical bills.

Back to the cost of the NYCOM plan, you’re probably asking, “My employer pays for part of my health care premium, why doesn’t NYCOM contribute to the cost for the required policy?” Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for that. My guess is that as it is not required to contribute to the cost of the policy, it won’t (think about it, even if you had coverage under a spouse or parent’s plan, your tuition money would be paying for other people’s premiums). There are other schools where students are automatically covered under a school policy and the cost is included in the tuition, but these schools tend to be large universities that have their own health services.

It may seem like it is unfair that students are required take the school’s coverage unless they can prove they are covered by another policy, but with this requirement, NYCOM is actually doing you a favor. With this requirement, the school can negotiate for a policy with better coverage. United HealthCare is a major medical insurance company. Most doctors in my area take United insurance. Have you looked what this plan provides? The annual deductible is limited to $250/person ($500/family) with an out-of-pocket maximum of $500/person ($1500/family). It was a little confusing to read, but I think there may actually be no deductible for in-network care. And as a PPO plan, you have the freedom to choose your provider and not have to deal with the hassles of an HMO. (Just compare that to the SOMA plan – especially the limits on covered services.) If you rarely use your insurance, you may think its overkill, but believe me, you never know when you’ll need it. I have a friend who was riding a motor scooter, hit some gravel and ended up underneath the scooter. She broke her elbow and it required over $30,000 in medical care to treat. Just one misplaced step during an afternoon football game and you could end up with thousands in medical bills.

Even if you could find a comparable plan, it would probably cost more than this one does. Other schools that do allow students to buy their own health insurance policies generally require that they provides the same coverage as the school policy. Where are you going to find a plan that provides the same benefits and would be available to all students? Face it, not all of our classmates are healthy 23-year olds. They’re not all going to qualify for the low-cost individual policies. If United was worried that only those students were going to sign up for the school plan, they wouldn’t offer the coverage we have. Besides, if we did all choose individual policies do you know how much time it would take verify that all 1200 students have adequate insurance? Who really wants NYCOM to have to hire more personnel just to do that?

Djquick83, your thoughts of just getting Medicaid – it probably won’t work. Federal welfare and other assistance programs do not provide assistance for students unless they would otherwise be eligible for the programs (not having an income is not enough). However, if you have children, they may be eligible if your income and assets are below a certain threshold. Here is the website if you wish to check it out. http://www.cms.hhs.gov/medicaid/eligibility/default.asp . State plans are another story. As long as the states want to pay for it themselves, the federal government says, “Go ahead.” You may have more luck there with the plans that Peon9985 suggested.

Dies Irae, I hope your comment of “living on the edge” with no health insurance is in jest, because going without insurance when it is offered and feasible to enroll in is just plain irresponsible. Once you start working and see the effect that the “voluntarily uninsured” take on the health care system when they need significant medical care, you’ll change your tune.

Okay, this has become a lot longer than I intended, but I hope you get my message. Stop complaining about the cost of the NYCOM policy. You’re getting a fair deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
nycom2009 said:
Dies Irae, I hope your comment of “living on the edge” with no health insurance is in jest, because going without insurance when it is offered and feasible to enroll in is just plain irresponsible. Once you start working and see the effect that the “voluntarily uninsured” take on the health care system when they need significant medical care, you’ll change your tune.

Okay, this has become a lot longer than I intended, but I hope you get my message. Stop complaining about the cost of the NYCOM policy. You’re getting a fair deal.

I have a question: who are you?

-I mean to be prompted to such an overwhelming and patronizing response just because two students are taken back by the cost of NYCOM's insurance plan?

I would understand if you worked for NYCOM and had an administrative role in issuing the health insurance policy, but if you're a student, then what is your issue with a few complaints, misinformed or not, from some students who havent even mat. yet? I would think that any reasonable person wouldn't take my comments about "living on the edge" or NYCOM "skimming off the top" seriously.

Venting some anger and cracking a few jokes doesn't mean I am flaming the school. I am actually very excited to start school and apprieciative of my acceptance. I am sorry if it seems that I am getting frustrated without good reason, but just recently, all the new students to NYCOM recieved the tuition bill without having recieved any statements about our anticipated Stafford loans.

You are right that we (or at least I) are venting frustration. I just graduated from a state school, paying about 8000/semester for tuition, and paying double the amount going into medical school while I still owe a good 50k in loans is really something to get used to. I thank you for taking the time to elaborate on how exactly the plan works, but you do not need to paint me as an immature kid in need of a reprimand based upon two posts I made on an SDN forum, nor do you need to outline the necessity of health insurance in such an condescending tone. Most of us are well aware of the costs involved should we come under a serious sickness or injury.

I am currently covered under my parents under a group plan, but my plan is not "equivalent" to NYCOM's, so I will have to go on that plan when I start school. Yes, the coverage is not as extensive as NYCOM's plan, but with my family, it has always been trying to strike a balance between adequate coverage and finances. NYCOM has a very extensive plan compared to what I have now, but also more expensive. The reason that we complain is that we dont really have a choice in the matter. People who can opt out have coverage equal or better than NYCOM's plan and wouldn't complain.

Dies Irae said:
I have a question: who are you?

-I mean to be prompted to such an overwhelming and patronizing response just because two students are taken back by the cost of NYCOM's insurance plan?

I would understand if you worked for NYCOM and had an administrative role in issuing the health insurance policy, but if you're a student, then what is your issue with a few complaints, misinformed or not, from some students who havent even mat. yet? I would think that any reasonable person wouldn't take my comments about "living on the edge" or NYCOM "skimming off the top" seriously.

Venting some anger and cracking a few jokes doesn't mean I am flaming the school. I am actually very excited to start school and apprieciative of my acceptance. I am sorry if it seems that I am getting frustrated without good reason, but just recently, all the new students to NYCOM recieved the tuition bill without having recieved any statements about our anticipated Stafford loans.

You are right that we (or at least I) are venting frustration. I just graduated from a state school, paying about 8000/semester for tuition, and paying double the amount going into medical school while I still owe a good 50k in loans is really something to get used to. I thank you for taking the time to elaborate on how exactly the plan works, but you do not need to paint me as an immature kid in need of a reprimand based upon two posts I made on an SDN forum, nor do you need to outline the necessity of health insurance in such an condescending tone. Most of us are well aware of the costs involved should we come under a serious sickness or injury.

I am currently covered under my parents under a group plan, but my plan is not "equivalent" to NYCOM's, so I will have to go on that plan when I start school. Yes, the coverage is not as extensive as NYCOM's plan, but with my family, it has always been trying to strike a balance between adequate coverage and finances. NYCOM has a very extensive plan compared to what I have now, but also more expensive. The reason that we complain is that we dont really have a choice in the matter. People who can opt out have coverage equal or better than NYCOM's plan and wouldn't complain.

For get it Dies Irae. Apparently we are bitching too much. Lets spend the 4K so we can have a years supply of amoxicillin and allegra D. :rolleyes: Im talkin to a few insurance companies now and once I get the rates, no more than lets say $500 a year, if even that, then whoever needs it, I will hook it up personally and get them the info out. Why spend 4k when u can do the same job with $500 bux, especially when the cost is an issue for us students. Im sure you could use that money in a lot better ways, like books, housing, food, cell phone bill, whatever. But I guess when u come from a family where money aint the issue, who cares right ? I will leave it at that.

misyel said:
If it's any consolation, students can go to the NYCOM clinic anytime and as often as they want without having to pay anything for OMM treatment, or any primary care stuff for that matter.

LOL. Like any of us will ever need OMM. :p :laugh:

djquick83 said:

It's great that you feel that way, because the waiting lists for OMM treatment are over a month long at the clinic.

Kry said:
It's great that you feel that way, because the waiting lists for OMM treatment are over a month long at the clinic.

I guess u didnt realize I was joking. Get it, a DO who refuses OMM. Its like a baseball player who refuses to play catch.

djquick83 said:
I guess u didnt realize I was joking. Get it, a DO who refuses OMM. Its like a baseball player who refuses to play catch.

Realistically, wouldn't a better analogy be basketball players who don't shoot 3-pointers.

djquick83 said:

I strained my back the other day when I was moving a couch. There is tight feeling just under my left shoulder. I could use some OMM right now! :love:

No, seriously.

djquick83 said:
Get it, a DO who refuses OMM.

It wouldn't be the first time...

beastmaster said:
Realistically, wouldn't a better analogy be basketball players who don't shoot 3-pointers.

I almost didn't realize who you were haha.

I've never seen full medical insurance coverage under $3k in the NY metro area unless it was under a group plan. I'd be interested in the details.

djquick83 said:
Im talkin to a few insurance companies now and once I get the rates, no more than lets say $500 a year, if even that, then whoever needs it, I will hook it up personally and get them the info out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kry said:
I almost didn't realize who you were haha.
I lurk in the shadows :horns:

Regarding insurance: I called Student Services today to discuss another issue, and they do not allow private insurance as a substitute for the United Healthcare one that is offered. Both medical and dental are mandatory -- price for dental is $300/year, the guy didn't remember exactly the price for medical but I remember it being several grand from the interview. The guy explained further that, for those who need it, waivers will be looked at during orientation and $ adjusted accordingly.

Hmm I guess we're stuck with the NYCOM Health Insurance and Life Insurance... Anyhow does anyone know when we will get our palm pilots? Cause I heard from NYCOM graduates that we would be provided with one. But they don't recall when exactly. Does anyone here know?

Peon9985 said:
Hmm I guess we're stuck with the NYCOM Health Insurance and Life Insurance... Anyhow does anyone know when we will get our palm pilots? Cause I heard from NYCOM graduates that we would be provided with one. But they don't recall when exactly. Does anyone here know?

during your 2nd year.

medstudent3563 said:
You won't be as excited and motivated a year from now. Be prepared to waste 100-120 hours of your life studying Dr Stepp's physiology packets which won't help you during your 2nd year (which is all systems pathophysiology) or during the boards. See the following threads:

Dr Stepp, NYCOM's Crappy Physiology Professor Extraordinaire

NYCOM- the school with ONLY an 80% 1st-time board pass rate

I know step 1 of the boards seems like a long ways away for you guys (and, frankly, for you gusy it is) but this time next year it will definately be on your mind and you will hate NYCOM for wasting your time on such low-yield Physiology.

Oh BTW, this Dr Stepp I talk about, he has a PhD in BIOCHEMISTRY yet teaches PHYSIOLOGY .

My advice to people who got accepted into NYCOM? If you were accepted into CCOM, PCOM, NOVA, UMDNJ-COM or to any US allopathic school, go there. They beat NYCOM.

But if NYCOM is the best you can do then prepare to waste 100+ hours of your life on 'Physiology' you probably won't even use (even for the boards).

For those of us who will be attending NYCOM in august, what do you recommend we do so we pass the step 1 in the first try?

futdoc_09 said:
For those of us who will be attending NYCOM in august, what do you recommend we do so we pass the step 1 in the first try?

study
:smuggrin:

The orientation packet says we DO need to have a laptop.

Do you upper classmen use yours in class a lot?
If so what do you use it for?
I have a really nice desktop already and will be living 5 mintutes from school.
I'd rather wait until 3rd year (when I know I will need it) to buy one if possible.

futdoc_09 said:

From what I've seen, this poster, medstudent3563, has a serious problem with "Dr. Stepp's" being a biochemistry Phd. rather than a physiology Phd., and teaching physiology. It sounds like he was one of the 20% who failed the boards on the first try. :laugh:

Most of it seems to be trolling, and I don't see many other who share his opinion, so I dont know how much credibility I can give it. As for the 80% board pass rate........ :scared:

endAIDScom said:

I'd rather wait until 3rd year (when I know I will need it) to buy one if possible.

You're not really going to be using a laptop much during the first year unless you are one of those people who uses em to type up lecture notes. Wait until you meet your big brother/sister during orientation week and see what they have to say in regards to buying laptops, books, and other miscellaneous crap.

for the people who are constantly bashing Dr.Stepp, you have no idea what u are talikng about. his notes are great. yes, they take time. but physiology is the most important class first year. you will be using these foundations your whole career. u will need them second year. where do u think the physio in pathophysiology is going to come from? they are not going to teach u pathophys, they will teach pathology. it is up to you to bridge the first year material with the second. i did not have to study physio for boards at all b/c of the class.

Dies Irae said:
From what I've seen, this poster, medstudent3563, has a serious problem with "Dr. Stepp's" being a biochemistry Phd. rather than a physiology Phd., and teaching physiology. It sounds like he was one of the 20% who failed the boards on the first try. :laugh:

Most of it seems to be trolling, and I don't see many other who share his opinion, so I dont know how much credibility I can give it. As for the 80% board pass rate........ :scared:

Um, is anyone from NYCOM tempted to take Physiology somewhere else?
Unless there is a way to do that, I'm not going to stress about it. I'm sorry medstudent3563 had a rough time with Stepp, and I want to thank him/her for letting us know we need to for a study group early for physio. I dont think the cross discipline thing is a necessarily a conflict though. One of our anatomy proffessors is a palentologist who has a good publishing record on dinosaurs, but none that I could find on humans, and in spite of this, seems to be a favorite teacher during first year. Specialty matters more if you are learning research.

endAIDScom said:

you don't need a laptop.....

...if you have some sort of computer avliable to you...prefreably one with a high speed connection....

endAIDScom said:
Unless there is a way to do that, I'm not going to stress about it. I'm sorry medstudent3563 had a rough time with Stepp, and I want to thank him/her for letting us know we need to for a study group early for physio. I dont think the cross discipline thing is a necessarily a conflict though. One of our anatomy proffessors is a palentologist who has a good publishing record on dinosaurs, but none that I could find on humans, and in spite of this, seems to be a favorite teacher during first year. Specialty matters more if you are learning research.

Boys and Girls,
Bottom line: you are going to be doctors, act like it.

stop being babies and always crying....even IF step were a horrible teacher (he isn't)
if you know the material then you'll pass the test
his questions at times may seem unfair, but tough SH*&, life isn't fair, none of us will ever get 100% on all tests, work your hardest to know the material regardless of the teacher, regardless of the test. ESPECIALLY in this case - TO BE A DOCTOR YOU MUST KNOW PHYSIOLOGY (or read PTOSIS below) - you need to know how things work to understand whats going on when they stop working.
I swear, if you people (include yourself only if applicable) spent all the time that you do complaining and wasting time into studying then you average and the class average would have been much higher (and for the latter I personally thank you for keeping it low :p ).

time to grow up people and stop expecting everything to be handed to you as baby food.

okay my diatribe is done for the night, next post I'll be back to my old scarcastic self....

OK, agreed! No more complaining about Health Insurance, physiology, or the 80% pass rate...back to the finanical aid issue:

I'm going there next week so I can bug the financial aid office about my student loans...anyone with me? :laugh:

Um...er...this is a bit embarrassing, but where exactly IS the financial aid office? :confused:

DPickholtz said:
Boys and Girls,
Bottom line: you are going to be doctors, act like it.

stop being babies and always crying....even IF step were a horrible teacher (he isn't)
if you know the material then you'll pass the test
his questions at times may seem unfair, but tough SH*&, life isn't fair, none of us will ever get 100% on all tests, work your hardest to know the material regardless of the teacher, regardless of the test. ESPECIALLY in this case - TO BE A DOCTOR YOU MUST KNOW PHYSIOLOGY (or read PTOSIS below) - you need to know how things work to understand whats going on when they stop working.
I swear, if you people (include yourself only if applicable) spent all the time that you do complaining and wasting time into studying then you average and the class average would have been much higher (and for the latter I personally thank you for keeping it low :p ).

time to grow up people and stop expecting everything to be handed to you as baby food.

okay my diatribe is done for the night, next post I'll be back to my old scarcastic self....

Finally someone said something sensible!

Dies Irae said:
OK, agreed! No more complaining about Health Insurance, physiology, or the 80% pass rate...back to the finanical aid issue:

I'm going there next week so I can bug the financial aid office about my student loans...anyone with me? :laugh:

Um...er...this is a bit embarrassing, but where exactly IS the financial aid office? :confused:

Same place where u had your interview. Also, spoke with the woman about her little bill she sent to my house in the amount of 16K. She said dont worry about it, financial aid hasnt been applied yet. They are in the process of doing it now.

i went to the financial aid office today to hand in the documents and the guy there said they arent processing first year students fin. aid for another couple of weeks...

I didn't have time to read through this massive post, but for all those complainers out there (i.e., physio is so hard, the 100 or so packets of physio is such a waste of time, anatomy is horrible, this professor sucked, biochem is such a drag, blah blah blah) good luck to you next year because it doesn't get any easier. You will have double the information to learn in less time without the help of faculty on campus.

I can't help but ask why NYCOM accepts 250+ kids. Wait, don't answer that. It's because the smell of cash is all too sweet. All 250+ may want to "help people," but NOT all 250+ are qualified to gain admission. These students become the stragglers that whine, complain and make the rest of NYCOM's well qualified and intelligent students look like idiots. (This is a general statement.)

It should be obvious by now that medical school is not easy. All 250+ of you will be able to memorize old TQ's and cram facts. Unfortunately, there's more to that to becoming a physician. If you work hard and have the ability to reason, make correlations, and think abstractly, you'll be okay. There's nothing you can do now to change your learning style and ability. Go and make the most out of your summer instead.

endAIDScom said:

Please, stop spreading rumors that Dr. Stepp doesn't have a Physio PhD degree, because he does! He is one of the sweetest, most approachable and helpful people on campus. I absolutely loved his notes, and his diagrams are the best! It's the best review tool -- if you can explain his diagrams and figures, then it means you understand what is important in the lectures. His notes are very detailed because Physiology is a complicated subject.

DO2B802 said:
i went to the financial aid office today to hand in the documents and the guy there said they arent processing first year students fin. aid for another couple of weeks...

Aiyah... maybe if you guys stop bothering them with the same questions over and over, they'll actually have time to work on processing your financial aid! :p

Just to reiterate: the financial office and the registrar's office at NYCOM don't communicate (NYCOM's also bad at filing, but that's another story...) Don't worry about the tuition bills, because that will all be taken cared of as soon as your financial aid awards are processed (which will take a while because first years are their last priority, since you start school the latest among the four years).

misyel said:
Aiyah... maybe if you guys stop bothering them with the same questions over and over, they'll actually have time to work on processing your financial aid! :p

Just to reiterate: the financial office and the registrar's office at NYCOM don't communicate (NYCOM's also bad at filing, but that's another story...) Don't worry about the tuition bills, because that will all be taken cared of as soon as your financial aid awards are processed (which will take a while because first years are their last priority, since you start school the latest among the four years).

But isn't the deadline to pay the tuition bill in August?

misyel said:

i didnt go there to bother them with any questions, i simply said that i went to nycom to hand in my papers since i live 15 min away. i wrote this in a post to give all you worried ppl the info that the fin. aid for first yr students wont be processed for a while.

Dies Irae said:
But isn't the deadline to pay the tuition bill in August?

Yes, and your financial aid kicks in before the deadline. Besides, the registrar's office doesn't charge you interest for unpaid balances if you use your financial aid awards to pay for your tuition.

misyel said:
Yes, and your financial aid kicks in before the deadline. Besides, the registrar's office doesn't charge you interest for unpaid balances if you use your financial aid awards to pay for your tuition.

That's good to know. But what about private loans? How soon should I go on over to the office to sign a Master Prom. for those? ASAP? I'm gone! :D

DO2B802 said:
i didnt go there to bother them with any questions, i simply said that i went to nycom to hand in my papers since i live 15 min away. i wrote this in a post to give all you worried ppl the info that the fin. aid for first yr students wont be processed for a while.

Now, now, no need to get defensive. I only replied to yours because it was the most recent entry. It's not meant to be taken personally.

Take home message: don't worry about the bill, books or anything else during the summer. Enjoy what is left of it, because it's the last real summer of your life. Also, always remember, there are others who would like to have the "problems" you're all having right now.

Ok, I think we've beaten this poor horse beyond death. On to the next topic...

misyel said:
Now, now, no need to get defensive. I only replied to yours because it was the most recent entry. It's not meant to be taken personally.

Take home message: don't worry about the bill, books or anything else during the summer. Enjoy what is left of it, because it's the last real summer of your life. Also, always remember, there are others who would like to have the "problems" you're all having right now.

Ok, I think we've beaten this poor horse beyond death. On to the next topic...

..Dead horses... So, do you think assault plays a large factor in the current US equine mortality rates?

Question for Misyel...
About summers - I know we get the summer off between MS1 & MS2. Do we also have off between MS2 & MS3? When do 3rd year rotations begin?

Just thinking ahead.
Thanks

Dies Irae said:
That's good to know. But what about private loans? How soon should I go on over to the office to sign a Master Prom. for those? ASAP? I'm gone! :D

i'm a bit slow with this and am hoping that someone can help a brother out. if school costs $36k and we get $40k from our loans, how are we suppose to pay rent and eat. Is there another load step that i am missing? if someone could answer this for me it would be great cause i really want to get by it so i can so play in the sun for the next month or 2

t

ps for laptop buyers: my dell harddrive crashed on me this morning. don't say i didn't tell you so.

seacatch said:
Question for Misyel...
About summers - I know we get the summer off between MS1 & MS2. Do we also have off between MS2 & MS3? When do 3rd year rotations begin?

Just thinking ahead.
Thanks

After you start medical school, you pretty much only have the summer between MSI and MSII as your summer off -- for the rest of your life! LoL Ok, don't let me scare you. After your MSII school year, you would have a few weeks to study for the boards, and then rotations being on July 1st.

Dies Irae said:

Me too,

You need to speak with Clare Jacobi,and next week she will only be there on monday.

good luck

misyel said:
Please, stop spreading rumors that Dr. Stepp doesn't have a Physio PhD degree, because he does! He is one of the sweetest, most approachable and helpful people on campus. I absolutely loved his notes, and his diagrams are the best! It's the best review tool -- if you can explain his diagrams and figures, then it means you understand what is important in the lectures. His notes are very detailed because Physiology is a complicated subject.

michelle is right kids.

misyel said:
After you start medical school, you pretty much only have the summer between MSI and MSII as your summer off -- for the rest of your life! LoL Ok, don't let me scare you. After your MSII school year, you would have a few weeks to study for the boards, and then rotations being on July 1st.

Ah, the last summer for 6 years! (No summer before residency either) +pity+
I have to find a way to get school credit for going to Nepal or Patagonia.
Anyone know about any clinical skills rotations in the Galapagos? ;)

How long do we get off for Christmas?

Congrats to all of you! You made it and you're weeks away from the openning bbq. Now, someone like me would die to go to nycom, if you think you had al ow gpa or mcat, and got in, post it and be proud. I am looking at a 3.4/3.5 with a bcp (thank god no math) of like 3.8, and MCAT of like 23. I am gonna havet to pray alot.

Congrats to all of you! You made it and you're weeks away from the opening bbq. Now, someone like me would die to go to nycom, if you think you had a low gpa or low mcat, and got in, post it and be proud. Just trying to get an idea. I know the avg gpa and mcat of nycom but that doest mean much, I want to hear about those that were below and made it.

Timbo0984 said:
Congrats to all of you! You made it and you're weeks away from the opening bbq. Now, someone like me would die to go to nycom, if you think you had a low gpa or low mcat, and got in, post it and be proud. Just trying to get an idea. I know the avg gpa and mcat of nycom but that doest mean much, I want to hear about those that were below and made it.

i think that IF i got in i would be a low gpa ...3.29 i THINK...i didnt save my application profile and now its gone because aacomas deleted my account at the end of the application year....i dont know what it was exactly but this i do know...most of that gpa is actually brought down by ...you guessed it ..intro science requirements!(high test averages...low recetation attendences and blew off lab a lot only to make all of it up during weekends for huge penelties)...thats a really bad thing and feels worse to know you had good grades but got poor marks due to your brazen attitude towards school. but i got a 29R on my mcat and did awesome in all my upper division bio classes (bio major ..took all the difficult bio classes available such as genetics, micro, developmental bio, mammilian physiology, cellular signalling, neurobio ect ect...not those cheezy eazy bio classes to meet requirements like evolutionary bio or ecology based bios) and also in all my psych classes (i did a b.s and mainly concentrated on biology focused psych classes such as physiological psych, or psychological pharmacology and bio psych classes) ..I got interview...and now im waiting with hopes of getting into nycom for the upcomming year. on top of all that...i applied past all deadlines, so i will be the true example of low grade, late application, but huge heart and immense potential types...a true underdog...maybe there are others who are worse then me..but to me ..not being guranteed in anything is a risky situation...so good luck and ill keep you posted on any acceptances.

Timbo0984 said:
Congrats to all of you! You made it and you're weeks away from the openning bbq. Now, someone like me would die to go to nycom, if you think you had al ow gpa or mcat, and got in, post it and be proud. I am looking at a 3.4/3.5 with a bcp (thank god no math) of like 3.8, and MCAT of like 23. I am gonna havet to pray alot.

and also to add...i know more thena handfull of people that got in with stats lower then that....same mcat but lower gpas...some even this year...so if you have good ec's and can be REAL at the interview about things that YOU are passionate about or talk about ..then those stats arent so bad...

All Im hopin for is that MCAT and GPA dont dictate my success in medical school and the boards. Sure, I got into NYCOM. But if i cant pass the boards cause they were willing to take a CHANCE, then what good is it gettin in. As much as I hate standardized testing, I have a feeling the boards are more about what you know and not about how well u apply that knowledge in some weird situation they expect u to understand. Like MCAT for example, I knew my science concepts. But on the test, they put it in such a weird complicated example and expect u to understand what they are askin for. If they straight out asked what it was they wanted to know, I would have gotten a much higher score and that would have showed how much I know about the subject. To me, seems like smarter ppl do poor on standardized tests and slackers seem to find a way to ace it. Is one smarter than the other, maybe yes maybe no? Does it change my attitude of approaching things the way I always have and succeeded, probably not. Im sure NYCOM is a good school. Its all a matter of how far they get me from this point on and how well I do on the boards. If the saying is true that getting into medical school is the hardest part, then I can relax. If not, no more Vodka Redbulls and Coronas in the sun. Im gonna be workin my ass of so I dont fail.