*** Official NYCOM Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
djquick83 said:
All Im hopin for is that MCAT and GPA dont dictate my success in medical school and the boards.
There might be some slight correlation, but I'm sure many people defy them every year. The MCAT got the best of me once, but I retook it and did alright. Frankly, I found some material (general bio, organic) so uninspiring that it bored me out of studying it with the kind of passion that one needs to score super-high. Out of principle I was willing to make that trade off. I think the med school material will be more in keeping with what gets me interested, so I expect to do well. But it still comes down to motivation, heart, and of course your cerebral capacity.

Members don't see this ad.

beastmaster said:
There might be some slight correlation, but I'm sure many people defy them every year. The MCAT got the best of me once, but I retook it and did alright. Frankly, I found some material (general bio, organic) so uninspiring that it bored me out of studying it with the kind of passion that one needs to score super-high. Out of principle I was willing to make that trade off. I think the med school material will be more in keeping with what gets me interested, so I expect to do well. But it still comes down to motivation, heart, and of course your cerebral capacity.

I brought my score up from a 24 to a 28 on the MCAT by forcing myself to study 3hours/day 2 days a week for 4 months! And then I find out that I probably could have gotten in with a 24 anyway. :( Bio, organic chem, verbal, and general chem weren't bad for me, but the physics section was a killer. I hope that my feelings for studying for the MCAT will not reflect how I feel about studying for the boards, or else I'm going to have one tough time in Med school. :thumbdown:

I messaged or emailed all of you who posted here in search of a roommate.

I will be at NYCOM next Monday 6/27 to talk to the lady about my financial aid. If anyone is interested in meeting up with me to look for housing, please email (kliquidk@hotmail) or call(201-310-7568) me. I am looking for a 3-4BR place, and if enough people are intersted, we can call up the places posted here.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

i don't know how many of you are out there, but this is an open invitation for anyone in the buffalo area~ some of us are meeting up for some coffee or something this weekend to just chill out for a little bit, meet future classmates/potential roommates, etc.

WHEN: saturday, june 25th @ 7:30 pm
WHERE: TBA

if you're interested drop me a note w/ your contact info (e-mail/phone #) and i'll contact you when we've determined a spot.

thanks & hope to meet you all soon... :thumbup:

update from post above...

hey guys,

we picked a place - we're going to meet up at cafe espresso out in williamsville, near clarence.

location: cafe espresso is located in the clarence mall (which is hardly a mall at all - but it's next to the eastern hills mall for reference) on the corner of transit road (~4400 transit rd.) and main street (~8040 main st.). the place is kind of small but just look for it inbetween brennan's bowery bar and tully's restaurant (and we can always move next door if we feel like it) :cool: there's also an office depot in the same plaza. the phone # for cafe espresso is 716-633-5282.

Leave me a note if you have any questions & i hope you all can make it out :)

-rachel

Hi,

Is it true that a Netter's Atlas will be given out during MSI?
I'll be starting this fall, and am preparing for anatomy class. I am frustrated with looking at pictures illustrated in Moore's text, and would like to get the Atlas.

Thanks. :luck:

NYCOM class of 09'

IM IN!! ..just got my letter today in the mail...2 months after interview! it was a long road but its been a very good one..even with all the downers...ill be seeing you all at the meet up or the orientation. good luck to those still waiting...

Applied to 1 school (nycom)

got 1 interview

1 acceptance....someone said thats ballzy...i call it being determined :smuggrin:

Congrats!

You interviewed late, did you submit your application late as well?

GqDocStar said:
IM IN!! ..just got my letter today in the mail...2 months after interview! it was a long road but its been a very good one..even with all the downers...ill be seeing you all at the meet up or the orientation. good luck to those still waiting...

got 1 interview

1 acceptance....someone said thats ballzy...i call it being determined :smuggrin:

gentlekev said:
Hi,

I'll be starting this fall, and am preparing for anatomy class. I am frustrated with looking at pictures illustrated in Moore's text, and would like to get the Atlas.

NYCOM class of 09'

It's not given out by the school, but if you become a member of SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association), which is the student organization for the AOA, you will receive a free Netters on the spot. If you have questions about this or SOMA, feel free to PM me.

Michele

GqDocStar said:

got 1 interview

Congratulations! I applied only to NYCOM also. =) I figure, if I get in, then it's meant to be...

misyel said:
It's not given out by the school, but if you become a member of SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association), which is the student organization for the AOA, you will receive a free Netters on the spot. If you have questions about this or SOMA, feel free to PM me.

Michele

hey michele, if I become a member of SOMA do I also get a free subscription to "The DOs" magazine? I wanted to read it this summer cause im so bored but you have to be part of the AOA to get it...

DO2B802 said:
hey michele, if I become a member of SOMA do I also get a free subscription to "The DOs" magazine? I wanted to read it this summer cause im so bored but you have to be part of the AOA to get it...

I think we all become AOA members once you become a DO student. I'm not sure about the DOs magazine though, somehow my roommate got it, and my other roommate and I didn't. I'll try to find out for yah.

misyel said:
I think we all become AOA members once you become a DO student. I'm not sure about the DOs magazine though, somehow my roommate got it, and my other roommate and I didn't. I'll try to find out for yah.

cool thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
misyel said:

I got the magazine through SOMA.

GqDocStar said:

got 1 interview

CONGRATS!

gentlekev said:
Hi,

NYCOM class of 09'

free with membership to one of certain clubs, SOMA being one of them maybe AOA did it too...? I seem to remember that a few clubs did it. The atlas is nice, esp if you get the flash cards too. Rohen and Yukotchi (spelling?) is a non-illustrated (read pictures) atlas that I LOVED....everyone has their own style...the key is don't leave studing to the last minute there is SO MUCH that you need to know especially as DOs.

Good luck

DPickholtz said:
free with membership to one of certain clubs, SOMA being one of them maybe AOA did it too...? I seem to remember that a few clubs did it. The atlas is nice, esp if you get the flash cards too. Rohen and Yukotchi (spelling?) is a non-illustrated (read pictures) atlas that I LOVED....everyone has their own style...the key is don't leave studing to the last minute there is SO MUCH that you need to know especially as DOs.

Good luck

That's so true... Anatomy doesn't really go away once the class is over, we keep revisiting it in OMM.

Yokochi is awesome, especially if ur group sucks at dissections... but always make sure you look at as many of the cadavers as possible because there is so much variation from person to person.

misyel said:
....especially if ur group sucks at dissections...

we all suck at dissection, I think its more the body unless you've cut up a bunch of cadavers....so don't fret if you suck its because g-d made humans NOT TO COME APART EASILY..... :eek: (or be putback together)

but its well worth it, to be thankful and respectful of the gift that thesebodies are giving you :thumbup:

ok, back to the books for me

Does nycom publish a list of student organizations? Planning on joining SOMA, but I would like to know if there are any international medicine or global health equity groups already going so I don't come to school ready to start a new club if I don't need too. Um... along those lines, is anyone else planning (or interested) on going to the International AIDS Conference in Toronto next July? I think it's going to be an even bigger blast than Bangkok was, and I want to bring NYCOM in force.

mblum151 said:
Does anyone know the schedule of classes and exams? I have no idea what our time in class is looking like. Also, do most students live by Old Westbury? Would it be too much to commute from Manhattan?

Thanks!

Hi...I was told to expect to be in class from 9-5 each day. With the new systems-based curriculum we will have exams every two weeks - most likely on a Monday and a Wednesday/Thursday. As far as I know, most students try to live around school, but I know some MS-III/IV that lived on the Bronx and Brooklyn and commuted each day and it worked well for them - I guess whatever works for you. I know a couple of people that commuted from Manhattan and it can take between 35 minutes and 1 hour, depending on traffic. Hope this helps...see you in the Fall!!!!

endAIDScom said:
Does nycom publish a list of student organizations? Planning on joining SOMA, but I would like to know if there are any international medicine or global health equity groups already going so I don't come to school ready to start a new club if I don't need too. Um... along those lines, is anyone else planning (or interested) on going to the International AIDS Conference in Toronto next July? I think it's going to be an even bigger blast than Bangkok was, and I want to bring NYCOM in force.

FYI as a first year, you can't start a club. The closest club I can think of that may deal with what you are interested in is the Medicine, Science, and Society club. You can always influence a club to include your interests...

Kry said:
FYI as a first year, you can't start a club. The closest club I can think of that may deal with what you are interested in is the Medicine, Science, and Society club. You can always influence a club to include your interests...

being involved is great, but don't go overboard.......thats why 1st years cant start clubs, med school aint a walk in the park (especially since you have to pay attention as to not step in the goose S*&@ on campus.......) be smart is the best advice.........

Sweepea8137 said:
Hi...I was told to expect to be in class from 9-5 each day. With the new systems-based curriculum we will have exams every two weeks - most likely on a Monday and a Wednesday/Thursday. As far as I know, most students try to live around school, but I know some MS-III/IV that lived on the Bronx and Brooklyn and commuted each day and it worked well for them - I guess whatever works for you. I know a couple of people that commuted from Manhattan and it can take between 35 minutes and 1 hour, depending on traffic. Hope this helps...see you in the Fall!!!!

What? I heard 9-3 for first year students, not 9-5. For second year, Im sure its 8-5.

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for someone to commute with to NYCOM from the East Meadow/Levittown area. I do not have a car as of yet, and really do not want to end up relying on public transportation to get to and from class. My schdule will be flexible as long as I get to class. I'm willing to drive and contribute to the cost of gas etc. Ideally, I'm looking for someone who is reliable. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Congrats to everyone who got in. Can't wait to meet you all in orientation. :D

I got the info from Dr. Chaudhry, the Dean of Pre-Clinical Studies....maybe with the new curriculum, 9-3 became 9-5.

djquick83 said:
What? I heard 9-3 for first year students, not 9-5. For second year, Im sure its 8-5.

Does anyone have any experiences that they would like to share concerning taking the N20/N21 bus to/from NYCOM each day. i'll be coming from Northern BLVD in flushing and am really hoping that it is frequent and relyable. comments are welcome
t

Anyone know what's going on with the NYCOM gym? I heard that they are building a new one, but I didn't get to see it during the interview.

Dies Irae said:
Anyone know what's going on with the NYCOM gym? I heard that they are building a new one, but I didn't get to see it during the interview.

My roomate Kim said it's done and very nice, but always packed now.
Still the same small space.

Anyone know a good gym near the school with a decent size pool?

Are we allowed to use the NYIT gym? I hear they have good facilities.

Are we supposed to go get all the immunizations listed on that form BEFORE school starts, or do we get them at school during orientation week?

If the former, any suggestions for docs that can do them near NYCOM?

endAIDScom said:
Are we supposed to go get all the immunizations listed on that form BEFORE school starts, or do we get them at school during orientation week?

If the former, any suggestions for docs that can do them near NYCOM?

We're supposed to have them done by orientation. That's what it said in the letter I received earlier this summer. The only doc I know of in the area is Dr. Nyitray, in Hicksville. He's pretty good, just be sure to bring your paperwork from your other docs with all the previous immunizations records so that you don't have to repeat the ones you've already had. I'm also not sure if he'll take your insurance, so call ahead. Look him up in the yellowpages.com for his number. Good luck.

1. Yes you can use NYIT's gym.
2. Try to get as many of the immunizations as possible, but don't drive
yourself nuts as they typically allow students with an incomplete
immunization form until January to correct it.

endAIDScom said:
My roomate Kim said it's done and very nice, but always packed now.
Still the same small space.

Anyone know a good gym near the school with a decent size pool?

A lot of the people living around Glen Cove join Island Fitness. Personally I think the gym is crap, and it's not worth the "discounted" rate they give to NYCOM students.

On the other hand, I joined the Jewish Community Center about a mile west from NYCOM on Northern Boulevard. It has a much nicer and bigger gym, plus a basketball court/volleyball court and a huge size pool. It's much cheaper than Island Fitness, too. The only downside is that it's closed on Saturdays.

As for NYCOM's gym, it's much nicer than it was before, it's recently been updated with new equipment, and we have yoga, aerobics and other classes during the week. It just gets a little crowded at times.

Where is the NYIT gym and what it is like? Crowded?

Dies Irae said:
Where is the NYIT gym and what it is like? Crowded?

It's located at the bottom floor of NYCOM I, and it gets crowded around 6-8pm.

Sweepea8137 said:
I got the info from Dr. Chaudhry, the Dean of Pre-Clinical Studies....maybe with the new curriculum, 9-3 became 9-5.

Just great. I need an extra 2 hrs in my first year. I mean 2nd year is not so bad, even though its 8-5 cause u have already become used to medical school work. But for first year, they should slowly cause u to make that transition. Oh well. Theres two hours of less sleep. :sleep:

quick q:

advice from the former first years and second years: is it truly necessaru to have a laptop...if I already have a desktop at home...thnkas

rmontague33 said:
quick q:

advice from the former first years and second years: is it truly necessaru to have a laptop...if I already have a desktop at home...thnkas

No. Sure, it may be more convenient from most ppl I have spoken to, but not a neccesity. Unless u absolutely need it cause it will make things easier for u, then get it. Other wise, its not worth it. I know I got a computer at home and its enough really.

What's a good way to find out who may be interested in carpooling? By that I mean reaching all the classmates who don't use SDN, there's so many, is mass Emailing the class roster in the beginning of the semester an option?

beastmaster said:
What's a good way to find out who may be interested in carpooling? By that I mean reaching all the classmates who don't use SDN, there's so many, is mass Emailing the class roster in the beginning of the semester an option?

No, but you can try posting on the webboard about it once you have access.

Just wondering if anybody else has yet to receive a bill and/or loan information from NYCOM. I'm starting school in about a month and have not received anything from the financial aid office as of yet. When I call they simply say everything is ok, were still waiting for the processing of loans... But with something as important as this, I feel like I can not just depend on everyone to do their jobs and constantly have to be on top of everything. If anyone has any info, it would def be appreciated :thumbup:

I just recieved my second bill today. Instead of including my financial aid as a credit, they wrote "potential finacial aid" although I already recieved the approval. The due date is August first and if it's not paid by the end of the month, there is a 12% interest charge! :eek: I'm taking a trip there on wends so I will see if my new balance will include my financial aid.

SuperFemDoc22 said:
I just recieved my second bill today. Instead of including my financial aid as a credit, they wrote "potential finacial aid" although I already recieved the approval. The due date is August first and if it's not paid by the end of the month, there is a 12% interest charge! :eek: I'm taking a trip there on wends so I will see if my new balance will include my financial aid.

I was there last week. They told me that if your fin. aid was approved, and it is reflected on your bill, then you dont have to worry about it. The bill says "potential" because the school has not yet recieved the money yet.

Kry said:
2. Try to get as many of the immunizations as possible, but don't drive
yourself nuts as they typically allow students with an incomplete
immunization form until January to correct it.

or they will tell you what you are missing then you can go the the clinic (nycom II or III - even though I've been there a year I still don't tknow wchich is which) and get it done for free - if you have the schools health insurance that is....

Hi All....

2 weeks and counting!!!! The excitement is setting in. Has anyone bought any textbooks yet? Does everyone have a place to live?

See you all in 14 days!! :D

Sorry...I know I just posted before, but I just wanted to know if everyone had seen the new information regarding the Family Practice requirement and the equipment we will need. It's actually a new addition to the Student Handbook posted on the Orientation website (there is also a revised schedule). Anyway...I bought the supplies last week from Stethoscope.com and I got a pretty good deal. See you all soon! :oops:

Sweepea8137 said:
Sorry...I know I just posted before, but I just wanted to know if everyone had seen the new information regarding the Family Practice requirement and the equipment we will need. It's actually a new addition to the Student Handbook posted on the Orientation website (there is also a revised schedule). Anyway...I bought the supplies last week from Stethoscope.com and I got a pretty good deal. See you all soon! :oops:

some time into the first year reps from diffrerent companies come and seel you the equipment that you need at a better price than you can find online. Don't buy, wait.....