*** Official NYCOM Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious.
Did any one hear from NHSC about scholarship interview?
BTW, I called NYCOM about PDC and was told that the package will be mailed shortly and will include a seperate application to sign up for the same. Lots of details are still in works, so the admissions office is also not aware of all the details.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool, im waiting for soem more info as well.

hey guys,

I know I'm completely out of topic, but I just wanted to invite all of you future NYCOMers to come and join the NYCOM team as we participate in AIDS Walk NY 2005. The event will be held in Central Park on May 15th. Considering we're the biggest medical school, I think it's important that we have a big turnout. Come support your new school, and meet some future colleagues!

For more information about the walk, please go to:

http://www.aidswalk.net/newyork

If you're around the New York City area at this time, consider walking with us by joining Team New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (9446) or clicking on this link:

https://www.kintera.org/faf/reg_new...w+York+College+of+Osteopathic+Medicine+-+9446

If not, you can also show us your support by contributing to the team. Just click on this link:

https://www.kintera.org/faf/search/...4C44A4B23B2DF7C31103&supId=0&team=900362&cj=Y

Thanks a lot everyone, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Michele Malit
NYCOM Team Leader
SOMA President '05-'06

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I though I would try to answer some of the questions I have seen about NYCOM.... You should get access to the NYCOM webboard sometime soonish, if you have not already. there is a specific posting for housing...where you can find an apartment, roommate, post a place, etc. That is how I found my housing last year. Also, there is always craigslist.com, which is also useful. I would say most people I know live in Glen Cove and the surrounding towns, but others do commute from the city. Just be aware that the LIE can be a nightmare, so the further away you live, the earlier you have to get up in the morning to drive to school. You can definitely rent a whole house, but you will porbably need a few people to do it with you. The QPI is this whole day exam, that tests all of your medical knowledge...when you first take it, you are only supposed to get around 30% and you take it again at the end of the year and every year after, into residency, I believe. You are supposed to increase your percentage. Anyways, the test is not for a grade or anything, it is just a means for the school to see statistically how the class is doing, what it is stronger, weaker in, etc. Some people take it very seriously and some don't and finish each of the two sections in twenty minutes. Also, I have heard that the Class of 2009 will be taught using the PBL model, which is really exciting. If you all have any other questions...feel free to PM me. :)

chimebo said:
Hey guys, I though I would try to answer some of the questions I have seen about NYCOM.... You should get access to the NYCOM webboard sometime soonish, if you have not already. there is a specific posting for housing...where you can find an apartment, roommate, post a place, etc. That is how I found my housing last year. Also, there is always craigslist.com, which is also useful. I would say most people I know live in Glen Cove and the surrounding towns, but others do commute from the city. Just be aware that the LIE can be a nightmare, so the further away you live, the earlier you have to get up in the morning to drive to school. You can definitely rent a whole house, but you will porbably need a few people to do it with you. The QPI is this whole day exam, that tests all of your medical knowledge...when you first take it, you are only supposed to get around 30% and you take it again at the end of the year and every year after, into residency, I believe. You are supposed to increase your percentage. Anyways, the test is not for a grade or anything, it is just a means for the school to see statistically how the class is doing, what it is stronger, weaker in, etc. Some people take it very seriously and some don't and finish each of the two sections in twenty minutes. Also, I have heard that the Class of 2009 will be taught using the PBL model, which is really exciting. If you all have any other questions...feel free to PM me. :)

Just to clarify, the PBL program is only available to 40 first year students next year, and everyone else will be in a lecture-based type of program.

Michele

djquick83 said:
Seriously, where does our 35k a year go ? Everytime u call the school for some info about something, they give u a blank stare like ure from Mars or something. The school is def. not up to date on handling any type of important info for the students.

During my interview at TUCOM CA members of the interview panel had an open argument about whether the nursing and pharmacy schools were starting in the fall. You would think they would know since they would be teaching classes to both, but they didn't.

And my tour quide didn't know if there was a student center or not.

So we're actually pretty lucky to go to NYCOM. :D

I think I'm going to pass on that DPC program thing. I'm not a big fan of being a guinea pig for some new program. New programs are always buggy during the inception and I don't want to deal with all the annoying kinks. Especially since they decided to do it as a last minute thing (maybe to encourage undecided people to choose NYCOM). And quite frankly, I don't fully understand the whole concept so I think I'm just going to go with the regular lecture based cirriculum. Just my 2 cents.

SuperFemDoc22 said:
I think I'm going to pass on that DPC program thing. I'm not a big fan of being a guinea pig for some new program. New programs are always buggy during the inception and I don't want to deal with all the annoying kinks. Especially since they decided to do it as a last minute thing (maybe to encourage undecided people to choose NYCOM). And quite frankly, I don't fully understand the whole concept so I think I'm just going to go with the regular lecture based cirriculum. Just my 2 cents.

The program at NYCOM has actually been 2 years in the making. Just so you know, Dr. Portanova is in charge of the PBL program, and he's managed other PBL programs in other schools such as OUCOM (and another MD school I believe?). The concept of PBL is new at NYCOM, but he's been managing PBL for at least 10 years. It's not like they just thought of this in 6 months just to attract more people to go to NYCOM. If it's attendance they're after, there's always someone who's willing to take up any open medical school spots.

If you feel that you don't want to choose the program because you "don't fully understand the whole concept" of it, you should research it a little bit more, or better yet, email Dr. Portanova at [email protected] and have him clarify some of your questions, instead of making immediate decisions. You'll never know, it might be the right program for you.

I was wondering where I could get a list of the clinical affiliates that NYCOM is associated with. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how long after mailing the initial deposit did everyone receive additional information from NYCOM and a financial aid packet. Thanks

Juniperbee said:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how long after mailing the initial deposit did everyone receive additional information from NYCOM and a financial aid packet. Thanks

Hi,
I think sometime in February I started receiving Fin-aid documents from NYCOM. (2 months after my acceptance letter.)

Juniperbee said:
Hi everyone,

i got accepted in Dec and started getting packets in march. i think the delay was because they were updating some of the papers. now i would expect that fin aid ect should go out pretty quickly. i never got the DPC letter till i called the other day so if you feel like it has been a while i would give them a call just to make sure you aren't missing anything.

class of '09, represent

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I made the final decision to attend NYCOM yesterday and I am very excited! Hope to meet some of you soon! What are you guys doing for housing? Are you searching on your own or waiting for the school webboard stuff?
Thanks!

I wonder when they'll give us book lists. I heard some of those texts can be hard to get ahold of so the more time to get them the better.

Don't buy the books yet. The Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) will partner you up with a big brother/big sister during orientation week. You can ask your big bro/sis all about which books you'll actually need and which ones you can get by without. That way you won't be stuck buying all these books and then worry about how you're gonna sell them off later on.

Michele
SOMA President '05-'06

Hi all,
If your looking for housing, shoot me a PM because I have two great housing opportunities for this fall.

Thanks Misyel. Right now I'm fighting through finals and finding myself a roof for next year.

Upperclassment (you know who you are) - who do you use for cell service?

The major carriers all claim to have great coverage all around nycom, but a lot of the service maps on their websites make it look like roaming central.

Who has the best coverage up there?

Any horror stories?

I need to get a phone this week that I can use both in philadelphia, and in the glen cove/oysterbay area once I move.
Looking mostly at Sprint and Cingular, but I'm open.

Thanks!

can you commute to NYCOM from Manhattan or Queens (Forest Hills or Kew Gardens)?

Anyone know?

Ifellinapothole said:
can you commute to NYCOM from Manhattan or Queens (Forest Hills or Kew Gardens)?

I did the drive on northern blvd (25A) the other day from flushing to NYCOM. it took about 30minutes on a sunday afternoon so i am sure that you would be looking at at least 30min from kew gardens to campus during the week. also note that i am class of 09 and i live in bklyn so i don't really know what i am talking about. i am however planning on getting a place in that area so lets hope that it can be done without too much road rage. driving makes me angry :smuggrin:

the train from the city is gonna take 40min at least plus the cab/bus (hicksville) to get to campus. i've heard of people doing it but eeewwww is all i can say to that. then again, if you are from LI then you are probably use to the drive so it isn't thought of as a big deal. i just wish i could ride my bike there...
- senor scatterbrain

endAIDScom said:
Upperclassment (you know who you are) - who do you use for cell service?

The major carriers all claim to have great coverage all around nycom, but a lot of the service maps on their websites make it look like roaming central.

Who has the best coverage up there?

Any horror stories?

I need to get a phone this week that I can use both in philadelphia, and in the glen cove/oysterbay area once I move.
Looking mostly at Sprint and Cingular, but I'm open.

Thanks!

A lot of the people I know have Verizon... just from experience, I feel Sprint is the worst one.

Michele

i live in nyc/bklyn and have had ATT for about 5 years. their digital service use to be great but now it stinks. there have been several occasions where i haven't gotten text msgs. they merged with cingular and are switching over to GSM. my boss is having as many problems with GSM as i am having with digital. in sept my contract is up and i think i'm gonna go verison.

cup n string is really the only guaranteed service

I have lived about 10 minutes from NYCOM my entire life. I have Verizon and have never even considered switching companies. In my experience Verizon, hands down offers the best service. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ifellinapothole said:

Anyone know?

Yea. Its called driving a car on the LIE. Mass transit will suck, even if u take LIRR cause it wont drop u right off by the school.

Can anybody suggest a good place for breakfast in Glen Cove?
I'm driving up from Philly to look at housing next weekend and I'm going to be hungry when I get there :p .

tedd1212 said:
I'm in too. Anyone have info on the housing situation in the Old Westbury area? I would prefer to not have to commute from bklyn. What neighboring towns are reasonably priced and convenient for someone looking for a 1bdroom for <$1000?

I commuted from brooklyn, it wasn't too bad.....

congrats on getting in I'll see you guys soon

DPickholtz said:

How far is the commute from Park Slope area or other area in Brooklyn?

Anyone know?

Also, what did you usually commute from B'klyn: take BQE to Northern State or LIE or something else?

Thanks for your help.

Ifellinapothole said:

Anyone know?

Also, what did you usually commute from B'klyn: take BQE to Northern State or LIE or something else?

Thanks for your help.

Hey Ifellinapothole,
I also live in park slope and everyone is telling me to not even attempt the commute. Mapquest says it will take 40 min to drive there, but with traffic it will be at least an hour, probably 1 1/2 hours . And forget about the unreliable LIRR, then connecting to a bus, no way. I think I am going to have to look for a place in long island, even though I love the slope :)

brgrdanna said:
Hey Ifellinapothole,
I also live in park slope and everyone is telling me to not even attempt the commute. Mapquest says it will take 40 min to drive there, but with traffic it will be at least an hour, probably 1 1/2 hours . And forget about the unreliable LIRR, then connecting to a bus, no way. I think I am going to have to look for a place in long island, even though I love the slope :)

i currently live in FT Greene, bklyn, right next to the BQE and as i look out my window right now at 5:30 on a monday afternoon i can tell you that traffic is backed up as far as my eyes can see. if you are use to that kind of thing then go for it. traffic makes me nuts :scared: and LI traffic is expecially bad. i'm planning on moving to somewhere in queens with the hope of finding a place tween school and the city.

take note that i am entering this fall and haven't done the drive on the reg.

DPickholtz said:

Hey I know you.... you're lurking in the 2009 thread too, huh? =)

DPickholtz said:

How bad is not too bad?

Can you give me some time estimates from Park Slope?

I appreciate it.. If not, I 'll have to move to Queens near Northern State.

Thanks

Has anyone received a username and password from the school yet? I would really like to have access to the website, especially for housing information...

Hey,
I stopped in at the school last week and asked about this same issue. They said all information will be posted on the website as of June 1st :thumbup:

I have also been accepted to NYCOM and recently accepted my acceptance. I am really excited to go. I am currently searching for housing and wondered if anyone had any information or advice. I have also considered having roomates to save money if anyone was also interested and looking. Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Amie :)

hi there,

i'm in for this coming semeter, too - coming from Boston!!
i'm totally new to the area, and looking for roomates!!
is anyone looking for a roomate???

can you guys let me know how long it took between your interview and your acceptance and if you sent in letters of intent ect inbetween. i interviewed 4/21 and have yet to hear anything from nycom.

I need a roomate too. Apartments near the school can range pricewise from $425 to $900+ per person. I'm planning on looking at a few places in a few weeks but there aren't too many places open. I believe there should be a lot of available apartments in July since thats when most people move out. It is definately a better idea to have at least one roomate to split the bills. If you are female, clean and responsible send me a private message if you need a roomate.

did everyone have to participate in the med-prep program for one month? june 1st to july 1st?

I know of a housing opportunity, 2 minutes from school, 2 blocks from Pathmark, Starbucks, Kinkos, a bar (everything esential to medical school life!). Rent is $650 (not including utilities) for a room in a 2BR apartment with kitchen, bath and living room. The available room has wall-to-wall carpeting plus a ceiling fan. Plenty of on-the-street parking. No pets, and no smoking. 1 year lease starts July 1st. If interested, PM me so I can give you the contact information. Thanks!

intelichi said:
did everyone have to participate in the med-prep program for one month? june 1st to july 1st?

:sleep: I didn't even hear about it. What is it?

the medprep is a month long program with classes on biochem, anatomy, phyisiology, omm intro., community med, e.t.c the classes run from 9-4 everyday (like summer school) u get to meet faculty and get a fill of the school. i guess it is only available to certain students. i got something in the mail asking me if i want to attend. it starts on wed. june 1 and then oreintation starts at the end of aug.

intelichi said:
the medprep is a month long program with classes on biochem, anatomy, phyisiology, omm intro., community med, e.t.c the classes run from 9-4 everyday (like summer school) u get to meet faculty and get a fill of the school. i guess it is only available to certain students. i got something in the mail asking me if i want to attend. it starts on wed. june 1 and then oreintation starts at the end of aug.

I was told by a nycom student who participated in medprep last year that it is a program for people who had some bad grades or a low mcat. They allow some students to take it, and if they do well, they may be accepted into the class in the fall if there is space available. That wouldn't make sense it your case, intelichi, since you were already accepted... I am confused! The student I talked to said she bombed the mcat, but the rest of her application was strong, so they offered her the medprep plan.

that makes sense...if you had low grades in your undergrad i could see how exposure to med school environment would get you transitioned to how it will be in the comming year. ive heard of programs that are simmilar in a lot of other medical programs, DO and MD. i would like to do a medprep thing regardless of my grades because i think that its good exposure even if you did ok in undergrad...i think it would be fun ..its not too long since its only a month..i think people would make good connections and still have july and august to enjoy summer.

GqDocStar said:
that makes sense...if you had low grades in your undergrad i could see how exposure to med school environment would get you transitioned to how it will be in the comming year. ive heard of programs that are simmilar in a lot of other medical programs, DO and MD. i would like to do a medprep thing regardless of my grades because i think that its good exposure even if you did ok in undergrad...i think it would be fun ..its not too long since its only a month..i think people would make good connections and still have july and august to enjoy summer.

NOTHING can prepare you for medical school except for accepting the fact that life will never be the same after you start school. You can expose yourself to the medical school environment all you want, but you know, it's going to make a difference because it's NOT the medical school environment. The connections you make aren't that important, because you'll have plenty of opportunities to get to know the professors in the future. Unless you were required to take the course, I suggest spending as much of your free time out on the beach, vacationing, anywhere away from lecture halls because you'll have more than enough of your share of it next year.

I think the key to doing well in medical school is working hard FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. Don't fall behind, because it's going to be sooo difficult to catch up. Once you start failing block exams, it'll just start snowballing from there. Also, if you studying hard on weekdays, you'll be able to afford having weekends off to do what you want to do.

mblum151 said:
Does anyone have access to the message board? Isn't that the place where there are housing options? Any info would be great...Thanks.

if you are talking abou the NYCOM web board, you guys wont be able to access it untill you get the school email addresses...

yeah it sucks but there are working on something for you guys to let you know about housing/carpools/other stuff...

congrats to you guys for getting in.

Ifellinapothole said:

Anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

I live in midwood so I had my choice of ways to get to school....
from park slope best bet is the Jackie (Jackie robinson pkwy) to GCP (grand central parkway which becomes the northern state....

I know some people took the BQE to the LIE but that made little sense from where I live, from park slope it may not be that bad an idea consitering that the jackie can get horribly backed up.

if you want more info feel free to email me

DPickholtz said:
if you are talking abou the NYCOM web board, you guys wont be able to access it untill you get the school email addresses...

yeah it sucks but there are working on something for you guys to let you know about housing/carpools/other stuff...

congrats to you guys for getting in.

I had access to it as early as February! LoL Just email Linda at [email protected] and she should be able to set it up for you. You don't need the nyit emai address to log on. The academic websites, though, are a different story.

Michele

does anyone know how many students were accepted to the class of 2008 last year...reading minutes from quarterly reports it says 300+ so i wanted to hear from some 2008ers about how many they have in their class. maybe it will alleviate the nervousness i have about getting accepted this late in the cycle

GqDocStar said:
does anyone know how many students were accepted to the class of 2008 last year...reading minutes from quarterly reports it says 300+ so i wanted to hear from some 2008ers about how many they have in their class. maybe it will alleviate the nervousness i have about getting accepted this late in the cycle

we had ~316 at the start of the year...don't know how many we lost (althought it may be ~10%), some of them are returning in your class (we won't name names), some arent. Its all good, other than the fact that I still walk into exams and look around and think who are these people.....

...then I realize I'm not in the right room.... :laugh: