*** Official NYCOM Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
misyel said:
I had access to it as early as February! LoL Just email Linda at [email protected] and she should be able to set it up for you. You don't need the nyit emai address to log on. The academic websites, though, are a different story.

Michele

well michelle (trouble maker :p ),
I was just saying what I hear from linda about the policy in general, they want to shy away from non NYIT addresses linked to the web board account...

hey if youguys can get on there all the power to ya, theres some good housing info up....

Members don't see this ad.

misyel said:
Hey I know you.... you're lurking in the 2009 thread too, huh? =)

we have one of our own?

DPickholtz said:
well michelle (trouble maker :p ),
I was just saying what I hear from linda about the policy in general, they want to shy away from non NYIT addresses linked to the web board account...

hey if youguys can get on there all the power to ya, theres some good housing info up....

Yeah, I am a trouble maker... I saw that email and I'm like, WHOOPS, that's me!!!! LoL

Michele

Members don't see this ad :)
How are the 3rd and 4th year rotation sites?

Good training?

misyel said:
Yeah, I am a trouble maker... I saw that email and I'm like, WHOOPS, that's me!!!! LoL

Michele

do you think these kids would like us to open a thread where we post the housing crap from the webboard here?

DPickholtz said:
do you think these kids would like us to open a thread where we post the housing crap from the webboard here?

Yeah I think we should since they won't have access to the webboard for a while according to Linda, "... they will not be getting access to the web board this year until after they start school in August and all orientation information will be posted on NYCOM web site this year."

Hello fellow classmates! This posting may be slightly off topic, but I have a few questions about NYCOM and information they have/have not been sending to you.

How do you get access to the Web Board?

Has anyone received any financial information from NYCOM?

Does anyone know where they will be living come August?

Hopefully someone can answer my questions - thanks in advance.

-Jamie
NYCOM Class of 2009

Kry said:
Yeah I think we should since they won't have access to the webboard for a while according to Linda, "... they will not be getting access to the web board this year until after they start school in August and all orientation information will be posted on NYCOM web site this year."

I think it's a great idea! There's a lot of people on the webboard posting housing information, it would be such a waste if those who need housing won't be able to access it.

Hey Dov, you can do the honors! :p (Did you sign up as a SOMA Big Bro?)

I have been having sooo much trouble trying to find housing and I haven't had the time to come up to Long Island yet. So it would be great if you guys could give us some information about housing. If anyone is interested i'm looking for a female roommate or 2 to live with. I am 22. I'm a student at UMDNJ-in the School of Public Health, but will be starting NYCOM in the fall :) I'm south asian, but very atypical. I like for my place to be neat and would like roommates would would clean up after themselves and who don't smoke or have pets ( I have allergies :( , but little fish would be ok). I found a few places in Hicksville and Glen Cove. One of the places is a 3 bedroom (I think like $750 each). Send me a mes. if you like.
Take Care
Jaz

Junebugs said:
Hello fellow classmates! This posting may be slightly off topic, but I have a few questions about NYCOM and information they have/have not been sending to you.

How do you get access to the Web Board?

Has anyone received any financial information from NYCOM?

Does anyone know where they will be living come August?

Hopefully someone can answer my questions - thanks in advance.

-Jamie
NYCOM Class of 2009

see posts # 151-3 below
it sould have been in the big envelope - if not call up and speak with Clare Jacobi
lots of different places - see the other thread on NYCOM housing

-me

Has anyone here applied for the new PBL route?

Dies Irae said:
Has anyone here applied for the new PBL route?

I did. haven't heard anything yet.

also, i checked the NYCOM website and found a new page:
http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Orientation_2005.htm
it has some stuff about orientation and an email address to get housing info.

Thanks to DPickholtz for the housing info.

t

ps. i'm getting pretty excitedd. i know there was talk of getting together in the city sometime. did i miss it? is anyone interested in doing it?

Members don't see this ad :)
tedd1212 said:
ps. i'm getting pretty excitedd. i know there was talk of getting together in the city sometime. did i miss it? is anyone interested in doing it?

I saw that post too, but it died off a while back. It might have happened already--although I would be interested in meeting up if it is going to happen again. :)

Does anybody have a residency match list for NYCOM?

thanks

Dies Irae said:
I saw that post too, but it died off a while back. It might have happened already--although I would be interested in meeting up if it is going to happen again. :)

We already had a meet up a few months ago. It'd be really fun to have another one this summer. Do you want to organize it?

Melissa

mblum151 said:
We already had a meet up a few months ago. It'd be really fun to have another one this summer. Do you want to organize it?

Melissa

What did you guys do in the first meet-up? How many showed?

beastmaster said:
What did you guys do in the first meet-up? How many showed?

We met at a bar on the lower east side. I think 12 people showed up. It was really nice to meet our future classmates. If there's enough interest, we should plan something in the summer, so all the people who just graduated from College can attend.

Yeah sounds like a great idea. I got snowed out of the last one.

mblum151 said:

Melissa

Sure, I would like to meet some of my fellow classmates, if there are others interested. Manhattan is perfect for me.

mblum151 said:
We met at a bar on the lower east side. I think 12 people showed up. It was really nice to meet our future classmates. If there's enough interest, we should plan something in the summer, so all the people who just graduated from College can attend.
I work on the upper east side so I was just a train ride away. I remember posting on that thread but no one ever got back to me or anything, and I hadn't seen any further efforts to make it a go (in order to contact the supposed 'master organizer'). Need to make these things more coordinated, folks!!

Wait, who is the "master organizer?" :confused:

beastmaster said:
I work on the upper east side so I was just a train ride away. I remember posting on that thread but no one ever got back to me or anything, and I hadn't seen any further efforts to make it a go (in order to contact the supposed 'master organizer'). Need to make these things more coordinated, folks!!

Let's get together on Friday, July 8th at 8pm at Von. It's on 3 Bleeker Street between Bowrey and Lafayette. Take the 6 at Bleecker St; F, V at Broadway-Lafayette. If you want to come, send me an email, and I'll send out a mass email, [email protected], when the date approaches.

Melissa

mblum151 said:
Let's get together on Friday, July 8th at 8pm at Von. It's on 3 Bleeker Street between Bowrey and Lafayette. Take the 6 at Bleecker St; F, V at Broadway-Lafayette. If you want to come, send me an email, and I'll send out a mass email, [email protected], when the date approaches.

Melissa

Now that's more like it. Straight to the point, with a date, time, directions, instructions, and contact. I knew there was a master organizer! I can't imagine 12 people just spit-balling potential locations and all-satisfying time arrangements.

beastmaster said:
Now that's more like it. Straight to the point, with a date, time, directions, instructions, and contact. I knew there was a master organizer! I can't imagine 12 people just spit-balling potential locations and all-satisfying time arrangements.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

mblum151 said:

Melissa

I would have loved to come meet up with you guys. i'm new to this whole sdn thing. but, unfortunately i will be in canada that weekend :(

good buddy of mine got a call from nycom yesterday in the early morning telling him he got in...he was a special case though whom they knew had to make serious decisions about living and family ect so they knew he needed to know asap of any decisions...he says they told him he wont get his letter for 2 weeks probably. the scary thing is that me and him interviewed on the same day so ...it freaks me out to know that they have looked at my application/file most likely and he got in. we went to same undergrad too...i hope they didnt look at us and decide to take him over me...we are both south asian decent same under grad...same interview day...lets hope they take two of a kind... :scared:

GqDocStar said:
...it freaks me out to know that they have looked at my application/file most likely and he got in. we went to same undergrad too...i hope they didnt look at us and decide to take him over me...we are both south asian decent same under grad...same interview day...lets hope they take two of a kind... :scared:

What? You mean they're still filling racial quotas in their admitance decisions? :eek:

Have you heard from any other schools? At this point, I would take any acceptance offered to me.

I'm from USB too, just graduated this year, and I know two others from USB that recieved interviews from NYCOM. I applied early and my stats were very competative, so I guess I was lucky. I'm not sure how many seats they have left, but I wish the best of luck to all of you. If you all make it in, we can start a Stony Brook posse. :smuggrin:

uhh..by south asian i refer to indian decent...not south EAST asian/pacific islander....us brownies are definately not an underrepresented minority in medicine thats for sure...im pretty competetive but applied past deadlines..nycom requested my application still be sent to them..i interviewed 4/21...who knows...i still got hope.

beastmaster said:

BTW, I was the one who posted it, not once but twice in both forums(osteo and pre-osteo). If u couldnt read the post and understand the directions, u shouldnt be attending any type of grad school. Just my .02 :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard from NYCOM about their financial aid reports? I just got my bill for the fall semester and not a word about whether or not I'll have any financial aid (ie. stafford).

alekamax said:
Has anyone heard from NYCOM about their financial aid reports? I just got my bill for the fall semester and not a word about whether or not I'll have any financial aid (ie. stafford).

Same here. I like how it says, to pay the bull in full ($16,000), please charge my Visa, MC, Amex, and Discover. Yea, and my daddy is Bill Gates. :eek:

djquick83 said:
Same here. I like how it says, to pay the bull in full ($16,000), please charge my Visa, MC, Amex, and Discover. Yea, and my daddy is Bill Gates. :eek:

:scared: :scared: :scared:

How many people do they expect to be able to just fork over the full tuition?

Definately fill out your FAFSFA for the Stafford loans and the application for TAP if your eligible, while you wait for them to send you finanical aid info. I've been trying to called the FA office, but I keep getting a machine. (tried twice this week)

Dies Irae said:
:scared: :scared: :scared:

How many people do they expect to be able to just fork over the full tuition?

Definately fill out your FAFSFA for the Stafford loans and the application for TAP if your eligible, while you wait for them to send you finanical aid info. I've been trying to called the FA office, but I keep getting a machine. (tried twice this week)

Don't worry guys, just apply for FAFSA, and sign your promissory notes when prompted and you'll eventually hear from them. They usually deal with the first years last. Just don't mind the bill that keeps popping up. I think it's just because the registrar's office and the financial aid office don't communicate well with each other.

misyel said:
Don't worry guys, just apply for FAFSA, and sign your promissory notes when prompted and you'll eventually hear from them. They usually deal with the first years last. Just don't mind the bill that keeps popping up. I think it's just because the registrar's office and the financial aid office don't communicate well with each other.

I already submitted all the info for financial aid, like the loan from Citibank. I signed the promissary note as well. They said if there was a problem, they would notify me. They said I have done everything I was supposed to and I shouldnt worry. Then again, I am receiving a bill for 16,000 with no mention of loans or anything being applied. Seriously, who sends the letters out ? :confused: Seems like there is so much miscommunication between the school and the students.

Yeah I just got my bill.. soo much with no financial aid.. Hey question.. I read in the letter that there was a 50% health insurance charge included.. What if you already have private insurance. How do I get the insurance charge off this bill?

The last post stated that the person signed their promissory note already...Aren't we suppose to sign it after we get an award letter? I went onto that website and it said only to sign it post reception of the award letter...whats the deal with that? :confused:

Peon9985 said:
Yeah I just got my bill.. soo much with no financial aid.. Hey question.. I read in the letter that there was a 50% health insurance charge included.. What if you already have private insurance. How do I get the insurance charge off this bill?

Unfortunately, you can only be waived off the school health insurance if:
1) your parents cover you or
2) your spouse covers you

During the orientation week, you will be given a form to fill out which waives you out of the NYCOM health insurance. Our insurance isn't that bad; my only complaint is that my eye exam is covered, but it doesn't cover a new pair of glasses or contacts.

Dont u guys see the irony in future physicians becomin sick ? I say go without it for the next 4 yrs til u start residency. Put better use to the 4K than for health insurance, unless u have some serious illness or otherwise. Common flu really shouldnt qualify for health insurance. Take vitamin C. Much cheaper for u and tasty too. :D :p

djquick83 said:
Dont u guys see the irony in future physicians becomin sick ? I say go without it for the next 4 yrs til u start residency. Put better use to the 4K than for health insurance, unless u have some serious illness or otherwise. Common flu really shouldnt qualify for health insurance. Take vitamin C. Much cheaper for u and tasty too. :D :p

I'm not sure that we are allowed to go without health insurance. The form does not indicate anywhere that we can opt out of all coverage. I've never gone to a doctor for the flu: a few bowls of chicken soup, and my immune system rips the influenza virus a new one! :smuggrin:

I got my bill today too- I'm going to call and ask if I can pay in pennies.

The FA office told me months ago that T.H.E. was an ok lender to use, but are now telling me that I need to talk to the director of
FA about getting my promisory note certified. I always get this woman on the phone who wont tell me I CANT use T.H.E., but acts like I don't trust her for picking my own lender.

As far as insurance, I'm excited. This is going to be the most comprehensive plan I've had in a long time. Time to get that appendix out finally. :rolleyes:

Dies Irae said:
I'm not sure that we are allowed to go without health insurance. The form does not indicate anywhere that we can opt out of all coverage. I've never gone to a doctor for the flu: a few bowls of chicken soup, and my immune system rips the influenza virus a new one! :smuggrin:

Im pretty sure they cant force u to pay for something u dont want. There is another type of insurance that covers us as med students during clinical rotations in case we mess up, which im sure every student has to have. But if they are so insistent on me having health benefits, let them pay for it with the 32K a year I am paying already. In case u guys dont know, medicaid is free for all ppl who cant afford it. That means us students and of course poor ppl all over America. Hell, thats what our taxes go towards every year. Might as well use it.

djquick83 said:
Im pretty sure they cant force u to pay for something u dont want. There is another type of insurance that covers us as med students during clinical rotations in case we mess up, which im sure every student has to have. But if they are so insistent on me having health benefits, let them pay for it with the 32K a year I am paying already. In case u guys dont know, medicaid is free for all ppl who cant afford it. That means us students and of course poor ppl all over America. Hell, thats what our taxes go towards every year. Might as well use it.

True, medicaid is for poor people, and medical students are broke. But bear in mind that we are eligible for loans to cover all our expenses, and most of us will be making six figures ten years from now. On the other hand, many lowest income bracket people have no options, and ten years from now, they will be just as poor or worse. Of course there are also many who take advantage of the system, but still I wouldn't feel right about being on medicaid. Food stamps...maybe...but not medicaid.

djquick83 said:

If you can't show proof that you are covered by your parents or spouse, they automatically charge it to your account, and you'd have to sign part of your financial aid off to them before you can pick up your refund check. (If you manage to pull it off, let me know, maybe I can also apply for foodstamps!)

misyel said:
If you can't show proof that you are covered by your parents or spouse, they automatically charge it to your account, and you'd have to sign part of your financial aid off to them before you can pick up your refund check. (If you manage to pull it off, let me know, maybe I can also apply for foodstamps!)

Who at nycom would be the best person to call to work out my payment strategy. I will try opting out of the insurance and I'd need the updated tuition cost.

Dies Irae said:
True, medicaid is for poor people, and medical students are broke. But bear in mind that we are eligible for loans to cover all our expenses, and most of us will be making six figures ten years from now. On the other hand, many lowest income bracket people have no options, and ten years from now, they will be just as poor or worse. Of course there are also many who take advantage of the system, but still I wouldn't feel right about being on medicaid. Food stamps...maybe...but not medicaid.

I'm working on an advocacy campaign around mediciaid and HIV right now and I have to agree with DiesIrae. Medicaid is going bankrupt in a lot of states right now, and getting on the rolls probably means a cut in services for someone somewhere, who probably doesn't have a 30k stafford loan to help pay for the meds it doesn't cover. But there's no way they are going to let you do it anyway. Does anyone know (just out of curiosity) if the insurance agency is affiliated with NYCOM's clinical system?

misyel said:

Well currently I have 1199 insurance and will continue to have it when I'm attending nycom.. so if I show them proof now will they take me off the school's insurance.. Besides for all you residence of NY.. you can go on a variety of free health care plans... I think we are being forced into something that need not be.

Peon9985 said:
Well currently I have 1199 insurance and will continue to have it when I'm attending nycom.. so if I show them proof now will they take me off the school's insurance.. Besides for all you residence of NY.. you can go on a variety of free health care plans... I think we are being forced into something that need not be.

Thats just BS. You cant force ppl and say well if u dont have it, then use ours. Thats a persons choice to either choose what coverage they want, or if they even want any coverage at all. I was just using Medicaid as an example. Im sure there are tons of free, or low cost programs out there in comparison to those offered by the school. But quite honestly, did u guys really think that the 4K they collect goes straight to the insurance company for coverage? I would say like maybe at most, $1,000 and the rest is in NYCOMs piggy bank. Thats the only reason I can think of for them pushing so much for their students to get it. If u think about it, most employees, like my mom who works for board of ed deducts $35 a paycheck for coverage for a family of 3. Thats about $700. Where they get $4K is beyong me, unless a person goes out and buys their own personal coverage. In the end, does it really matter. Prob. not.We are buying our degree for the most part and it pays for itself in the long run. Its just a matter of the principal of it all.

djquick83 said:
Thats just BS. You cant force ppl and say well if u dont have it, then use ours. Thats a persons choice to either choose what coverage they want, or if they even want any coverage at all. I was just using Medicaid as an example. Im sure there are tons of free, or low cost programs out there in comparison to those offered by the school. But quite honestly, did u guys really think that the 4K they collect goes straight to the insurance company for coverage? I would say like maybe at most, $1,000 and the rest is in NYCOMs piggy bank. Thats the only reason I can think of for them pushing so much for their students to get it. If u think about it, most employees, like my mom who works for board of ed deducts $35 a paycheck for coverage for a family of 3. Thats about $700. Where they get $4K is beyong me, unless a person goes out and buys their own personal coverage. In the end, does it really matter. Prob. not.We are buying our degree for the most part and it pays for itself in the long run. Its just a matter of the principal of it all.

I agree. With other schools, you are given the option to choose your own insurance program, but NYCOM is one of I believe three schools where it's mandatory for you to use their insurance if you aren't covered by your parents or spouse. I guess insuring a bulk amount of students eventually leads to cheaper rates (believe me, our insurance isn't bad), and I'm sure NYCOM gets some sort of %age back for every person enrolled in that health insurance policy.

djquick83 said:

Your right about that. I come from a middle-lower-middle class family and no one in my houshold has ever been on a health insurance plan worth $4000. If NYCOM is skimming off the top, then I have no clue where all that money would go, since there seems to be concern that they are having finanical issues. It seems enrolling at NYCOM is also agreeing to go by their health insurance policy. I also think its unfair to those of us who want a cheaper plan and those of us who like to live on the edge and not have any medical insurance at all. But I guess it is safe for them to presume that paying back our 200k loans in the future will not be that much of a strain on our future salaries. :scared:

One thing I'm sure of is that if I'm going to have to pay for NYCOM health insurance, I'm going to get my f'ing money's worth! I'm getting a full physical every two weeks with blood tests + any and every sort of checkup that the plan covers, even if its a mammogram-hell, i'll even get a colonoscopy. :laugh: