Official MSUCOM Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked my financial aid, as I hadn't looked at it in a while, and saw that I have been given a bit of institutional aid (3k a year). Yaaay! Hopefully, there's more to come, and some of you share in the love too!

Also, does anyone know what we have to do to waive the health insurance? I'm still under my dad's until I'm 25, so would like to save that 2k a year as well if I can. I've called two different numbers, and emailed about two weeks ago to no response, and am not sure what else to do to get that amount waived from my aid. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

You can fill out a waiver here...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks DrChick!!! That was super helpful! Now I just have to find my policy and make sure all of those things are included...are they pretty standard? I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and I'm not sure about a few of them. It's new insurance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is everyone living next year?

I will hopefully be living at Briarcliffe (I have been on the wait-list for awhile now)which is off Jolly Rd.

I'm getting pretty pumped to start and meet all of you... On a side note would anyone be down for some pick up soccer games over the summer? There is an IM feild near Fee so it would be pretty easy to do. I have been trying to get on a league but it looks like it is full for the summer, so I will need something to do.

Let me know,
JB

I'm also on a waiting list for an apartment, but I am planning on living at Central Park (I liked your idea of bolding it in red, thanks!). Has anyone on the waitlist for June been contacted yet? I'm wondering because they called me about 6 weeks ago to move in for May, but I deferred until June to get the roomie situation all cleared away. Now I'm worrying about having a place to live...

On a side note, to the current students if you would care to answer (yall have been so great helping me out with my questions!): on the off chance that I wouldn't be able to move into my apartment until after orientation week, how detrimental do you think that would be? My parents live on the west side of Flint, so it'd be about a 35 min drive over until I could get the apartment situation cleared away. Would it be disasterous to move in the weekend after the white coat ceremony? I'm trying to plan for my worst case scenario...

Any MSU students on this? I might be thinking of going to Burger-Rama for the first and probably last time after finals Thursday, just throwing it out to see what people think. I'm not sure if I can make it, but I would like to go at least once in my academic career.

JB

Keep thinking about pickup soccer games or B-ball, volley-ball pretty much anything... all ages and genders welcome

On a side note, to the current students if you would care to answer (yall have been so great helping me out with my questions!): on the off chance that I wouldn't be able to move into my apartment until after orientation week, how detrimental do you think that would be? My parents live on the west side of Flint, so it'd be about a 35 min drive over until I could get the apartment situation cleared away. Would it be disasterous to move in the weekend after the white coat ceremony? I'm trying to plan for my worst case scenario...
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

No big deal - you might have to get up early and deal with some traffic during rush hour, but don't be too concerned...some people commute every day from Flint during first and second year...

I'm also on a waiting list for an apartment, but I am planning on living at Central Park (I liked your idea of bolding it in red, thanks!). Has anyone on the waitlist for June been contacted yet? I'm wondering because they called me about 6 weeks ago to move in for May, but I deferred until June to get the roomie situation all cleared away. Now I'm worrying about having a place to live...

I got into Central Park for June 1, but I signed up on the waitlist back in late September or early October. Where are you on the list?

I got into Central Park for June 1, but I signed up on the waitlist back in late September or early October. Where are you on the list?

Well, I signed up back in January...I was the first person on the list for May, but had to decline to move in in late May due to circumstances, so I'm not sure where I am on the list for June. I'm trying to call them as I type this actually, since I don't know what utilities I'll have to set up, and I'm hoping they can tell me how many more people are above me. Since I got on the list in January, I wouldn't think it would be too long, but who knows...

When did Heather call you to pick your day? Just recently?

Edit: ok, I just talked to them. She said that I should hear in the next week or ten days, so that is a relief. Also, they said that the only utility that we have to set up is cable/internet, since apparently that is changing soon. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that speeter...I've never had to shop for cable/internet, so that should be fun...

Scow if you need help moving heavy stuff don't hesitate to ask. I'm going to be Speets rommie so I shouldn't be more than a hollar away :). If anyone else is moving into central parks in June I am willing to help out! I might need some help myself in June hehe.

Anyone get the email from Financial Aid today...
That was a little bizarre! Any recommendations??

Does that only apply to Michigan residents? I checked my stuinfo and nothing changed.

Yeah, I have no idea what to do...I called yesterday to make sure I was all set with finaid, and she gave me the thumbs up over the phone. I don't want to search out different loans and sign more promissory notes, especially when I already signed one for that money...

Gah, I guess I have to call them again tomorrow to see what's up. What a headache, the literal day after I got it all ironed out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to get any answers? I haven't been able to get through on the phone all day. It says that a payment is due by April 30 for tuition...I don't have the 3k, not even a credit card I could put it on, so I guess I will be withdrawing if they can't honor the agreement I already signed. I'm perilously close to crying right now...someone throw me a bone here!

Has anyone been able to get any answers? I haven't been able to get through on the phone all day. It says that a payment is due by April 30 for tuition...I don't have the 3k, not even a credit card I could put it on, so I guess I will be withdrawing if they can't honor the agreement I already signed. I'm perilously close to crying right now...someone throw me a bone here!

has anything changed on your stuinfo?

has anything changed on your stuinfo?

Nope, my StuInfo is the same as it always has been. I finally did get ahold of someone right before five. Here is some info for you guys:

If you applied for the health insurance waiver, and it has been more than 3-5 days, contact the human resources office because they 'forgot' to process it. She told me they should have done it already at this point, but I need to call on Monday and make them do it while I'm on the phone...so if it's been awhile since you applied, and it's not reflected on your account on stuinfo, make the call.

Also, even if you have already sent in the old promissory note, disregard it. Just choose your new lender on the website, and complete the new note. They are giving COM students a credit right now for the summer loans until we can get the paperwork in order- in other words, they are just pretending we have the money. We don't have to make a payment by April 30, just get the new note done ASAP so that the money doesn't end up being held up.

On a side note, my account already shows a negative balance of 4k (meaning they will cut me that check the week school starts, a few days before). She told me this is how it will stay, and that as long as I choose a new lender in the next few weeks, there shouldn't be any problems. <whew>

Thanks DrChick!!! That was super helpful! Now I just have to find my policy and make sure all of those things are included...are they pretty standard? I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and I'm not sure about a few of them. It's new insurance...

It sucks that they don't entertain high deductible/HSA plans as an alternative. I'll be setting up one of those for my wife and son (cheaper than the $514 per month it would cost me to add them to the student plan and builds some savings) :bullcrap:

I'll be staying at Glenwood apts across from Fee.

Does that only apply to Michigan residents? I checked my stuinfo and nothing changed.

Have you registered for summer anatomy? I never got any information about registering for summer, so I didn't know I needed to do that until a week ago. Once I registered, it took a few days for StuInfo to generate a bill.

Any of you MSUCOMers getting a new computer for June?? Wondering if anyone had any input about Tablet vs Laptop! June is just around the corner and I am trying to get ready!!! I am so excited and it is getting more real by the day! Any recommendations would be welcome, I am getting ready to compare Lenovo X61 vs. Toshiba Porteges vs. HP2710P. Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Any of you MSUCOMers getting a new computer for June?? Wondering if anyone had any input about Tablet vs Laptop! June is just around the corner and I am trying to get ready!!! I am so excited and it is getting more real by the day! Any recommendations would be welcome, I am getting ready to compare Lenovo X61 vs. Toshiba Porteges vs. HP2710P. Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

If I get in this year (my fingers have been crossed since Jan), I'm going to buy a new laptop. I just bought one last Feb, but I want the most up to date. Now I have an HP. It's pretty good, but I've been having motherboard problems and have had to repair it. I don't think I'll buy an HP again, though.:)

Hey Born. I had to make the same decision as you. I deecided to go with a tablet and heres why. Most if not all of the lecture notes are going to be posted online. With a tablet you can bring up the lecture and make notations on it without printing off the lecture beforehand. That means you wont have to carry as much crap around everyday. Also you can do everything a laptop will do with a tablet. I went with the HP tx2000z with the top of the line processor and all the other bells and whistles. If you still aren't decided do a a google search for some reviews on the models your checking out. Hope this helps...

Hey Born. I had to make the same decision as you. I deecided to go with a tablet and heres why. Most if not all of the lecture notes are going to be posted online. With a tablet you can bring up the lecture and make notations on it without printing off the lecture beforehand. That means you wont have to carry as much crap around everyday. Also you can do everything a laptop will do with a tablet. I went with the HP tx2000z with the top of the line processor and all the other bells and whistles. If you still aren't decided do a a google search for some reviews on the models your checking out. Hope this helps...

In the past, the lecture notes were RARELY online prior to class (and many times not even after class)...most of the powerpoints were only available through the coursepack...just something to consider.

So, regarding the email that we got today about purchasing all of the scrubs/coats/etc, when exactly do we have to pay for all that stuff? During orientation week? Seems weird to order things with your name on it- what do they do with the personalized stuff for kids that withdraw before classes start?

Also, if any current students could weigh in on what they though was useful/needed from this list, that would be super helpful deciding what to order: white coat (I know it's mandatory, but I'm just listing everything in the email so I don't miss things), anatomy coat, scrubs, anatomy clogs, anatomy survival book, name tags, anatomy lab kit (gloves & probes). Also, if you could list how many you would suggest for things like the scrubs, lab coat, name tags. Thanks guys!

So, regarding the email that we got today about purchasing all of the scrubs/coats/etc, when exactly do we have to pay for all that stuff? During orientation week? Seems weird to order things with your name on it- what do they do with the personalized stuff for kids that withdraw before classes start?

Also, if any current students could weigh in on what they though was useful/needed from this list, that would be super helpful deciding what to order: white coat (I know it's mandatory, but I'm just listing everything in the email so I don't miss things), anatomy coat, scrubs, anatomy clogs, anatomy survival book, name tags, anatomy lab kit (gloves & probes). Also, if you could list how many you would suggest for things like the scrubs, lab coat, name tags. Thanks guys!

If it doesn't say mandatory, can we get the stuff some other time or do we have to order them now?

You can most likely pay for that during orientation week or some things you can order online through the COM website under Student Services. You need to have the white coat (obviously) for your ceremony (ours was at the end of anatomy, but that has since changed which may be the reason why you have to order it so early).

My suggestion is to buy a box of gloves, the dissection kit (you really only need a probe or two), and a long white coat for lab (buy something cheap because it will be nasty by the end of second year); buy these items online before you head to campus as it will be significantly cheaper than the school bookstore. You can buy scrubs or use any old ones you have if you don't want to have your clothes smelling like the lab. Once you come to campus, buy the short white coat with the COM insignia (maybe even a second one), 2 name tags (unless you plan on changing your name before 3rd year, then only one), and the anatomy survival guide (A MUST!). That should help!

where do we get the probes? I know i can get gloves from the lab I work in now so if the probe is the only thing that comes in the anatomy kit, if i can find those i should be ok. If you guys find places to get the coate and probes cheaper can you post it on here so that we can all use them? I'll do the same

thanks

I bought a Gateway Tablet a month or two ago... the top of the line one... for both my photography business as well as taking notes at class- it's a 14" tablet... with a crazy processor, ram, etc... I couldnt' be happier with it =) all for under $1000... just make sure you talk to the sales rep online before you order, you can talk them down a LOT ($400 for me)... Taking notes on it has been phenomenal~~ battery life is about 4.5 hours

Did anyone else notice on our class page that there is going to be the opportunity to pass out of these classes? BMB 514 and 526 are similar to many upper level undergraduate courses, so they are having a "CLEP" test of sorts on August 21. I am definitely going to study my biochem during summer semester and take the test.

http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/newstudent2012.html
Class page^^^^

That's frickin awesome! I wonder if there is a cost to take the test? If we can knock out one or two of those classes for the fall, maybe there are some electives we can take instead that would be more applicable to our chosen field (not to mention that it'll feel more like med school as opposed to senior undergrad). This is definitely good news. :D

maybe there are some electives we can take instead that would be more applicable to our chosen field (not to mention that it'll feel more like med school as opposed to senior undergrad).

Most definitely. As far as electives go, I asked during the open house and we're only allowed to take one elective during our fall semester. Makes sense as we really haven't gotten a true taste for our class loads yet. I've heard of other students taking 2 and maybe even 3 electives at a time during 2nd year. I'm super interested in the stress fracture study and shadowing someone in ortho....but who knows. I'll probably end up doing something completely different, like peds or medicine! :laugh:

Snickers, Yum.
Slideshow-Snickers_476x357.jpg

Getting people through boring jobs since 1930.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the Big Sibs/Little Sibs thing, i.e. is it worthwhile?

I guess it can't hurt, just seeing what everyone else thinks about it.

I think it is a great idea! I know I have already benefitted from the recommendations of other MSUCOM students such as drchick on this forum alone, I would think that a big sib would have valuable info to pass along like class info, tips, tricks, pointers and all sorts of other advice to help ease the transition into medical school! In my book knowledge is power and the more resources to obtain knowledge the better! Looking forward to seeing you soon, June 23rd is right around the corner!

Ok~~ For all of you interested in the Wavier Tests for both Biochem and Genetics...

I think we need to start a study group this summer semester that can cover Anatomy, Biochem and Genetics... =) Kill... 3? birds with one stone... Yay, nae?

Again, another excellent idea!! I would love to test out of Biochem but I definitely need a refresher! Any 1st or 2nd years have some advice on these tests??

Again, another excellent idea!! I would love to test out of Biochem but I definitely need a refresher! Any 1st or 2nd years have some advice on these tests??

I think most students came into anatomy when I started thinking they would take the tests to pass out of Genetics/Biochem, but many never took it. I know of only 1 person from my class of 203 that tested out (and I think about 10 took the test)...

To be honest, the fall semester is already cake (Physiology I/Biochem/Genetics/Doctor-Patient Relationship/Epi-Biostats) that I think it is more important to focus on anatomy in the summer. If you really want to try to test out of a class, I would try Epi-Biostats.

I was pulled off the waitlist today! Good luck to the rest of you!

Congrats!! Welcome, be sure to check out our facebook group! There are about 105 of us...some upcoming social events are being discussed so check it out! Plus everyone is real helpful & friendly and happy to get you up to speed since we are starting in less than 30 days! Feel free to PM me if you need any info to get acclimated! Looking forward to meeting you & the rest of our classmates on the 23rd!

Hey Born. I had to make the same decision as you. I deecided to go with a tablet and heres why. Most if not all of the lecture notes are going to be posted online. With a tablet you can bring up the lecture and make notations on it without printing off the lecture beforehand. That means you wont have to carry as much crap around everyday.

Lectures are posted on line, but you're going to have coursepacks to carry around with you to classes - and almost everyone just takes notes on them that way. The few people that had tablets last year stopped bringing them to class about a week into the semester.

I think most students came into anatomy when I started thinking they would take the tests to pass out of Genetics/Biochem, but many never took it. I know of only 1 person from my class of 203 that tested out (and I think about 10 took the test)...

To be honest, the fall semester is already cake (Physiology I/Biochem/Genetics/Doctor-Patient Relationship/Epi-Biostats) that I think it is more important to focus on anatomy in the summer. If you really want to try to test out of a class, I would try Epi-Biostats.

Good advice. Very few test out of these classes. You're better off focusing on what is going to be an intense summer of anatomy.

There are usually only about 5 people that use laptops during lecture and they sit at the 3 tables at the back of the room. The desks in the lecture hall during 1st year are really small plus there are no outlets to plug into. Everyone just uses the coursepacks that they sell and takes notes on that.

Hey there everyone!! 10 days left until classes start! In the spirit of enjoying our last few days before the craziness ensues,many of us that are on Facebook are getting together for a BBQ the Saturday before classes start! This is a link to the event information http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=29576632168 if you need more details feel free to PM me!

It tends to go offline pretty often...I usually just check back in a few days...

Does anyone know if that site has our schedule for anatomy on it? Or does that not come up until/closer to the start of anatomy?

its on the angel system now.

I like how they scheduled 5 unit exams for anatomy. Some are only one week apart. The final is cumulative take home. Shouldn't be a bad semester!

I like how they scheduled 5 unit exams for anatomy. Some are only one week apart. The final is cumulative take home. Shouldn't be a bad semester!

himm... we'll see.