Official MSUCOM Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scowdeva

MS I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, the thread is open, I'm waiting for all the rest of you guys to come and join me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

yikes you're in early. what a good feeling to know that you can relax for the rest of the application season and just enjoy the ride.

congrats! :thumbup: :hardy:

MSUCOM is already doing interviews? I thought they didn't do many, and they don't start until later. Congrats though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM accepts many people without interviews...this was the wording in my email:
"The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine is pleased to offer you admission into the Class of 2012. The completeness of your application materials and the quality of your achievements convinced the Admissions Committee that an interview would be superfluous. We would, however, be delighted to host an interview day for you, which would be your opportunity to interview us."

They dont even open the online option to schedule a visit until tomorrow, so when I have more info about that and if people are interested I can post it up.

Wow, well, congratulations! That's awesome. I'd love a pre-interview acceptance. Hell, I'd love ANY acceptance! Are you going to just take that and run, or wait and see what else comes along?

scowdeva- congratulations! The feeling must be amazing.

What date did they receive your secondary?

I already answered back accepting my invitation, and they are mailing me the official packet I have to get back to them with my deposit. I think I will wait and see what interviews I am offered...probably wont go on any even if I do get more, but I want to know if someone else would offer me anything!!

My due date for my secondary was Aug 9, they showed everything complete with the online status check as of Aug 10. They just started meeting this week though, so I think I just got lucky and was in the first batch they looked at....and just between you and I, r2cole, I called my mom in tears in the middle of an academic building while classes were going on. I NEVER check my email on my phone, but I was just that bored today, and look what it got me! Theres the start of a new superstition ;)

scowdeva - do you mind telling your stats and state residence?

nice...thanks

great verbal score btw.

I got the letter today too! :DMy undergrad stats were a little below average, but I'm a motivated non-trad applicant with lots of good extracurricular activities and good GPA post-BS. I also applied to MSUCOM last year (albeit quite late) and was placed on the waiting list. I know it's probably a bit early to be saying this, but if for some reason you don't get in this year, set up an interview the DoA and discuss your application. Then do everything that she says to improve your application for the following year. It worked for me. :D

-Travis-

Yay Travis! So far its me and you in E Lansing next June!!! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
desi- I already typed out my long answer in the MSU thread on pre-osteo.....

i started at MSUCOM in june...so far i love it. the faculty and staff are all very nice. let me know if you have any questions about the school/cirriculum/facilities/etc. congrats on getting in see you next fall.

email: [email protected]
AIM: drewcrew3117

congrats again

I am trying to figure out what to write for my msucom secondary essay. Its my number one choice making it even more difficult. Can the personal experience be something like a hobby, conversation or something I observed even though its not really related to medicine? Of course the character, skills, etc that came from the experience will tie into medicine.

This is probably a bad question but I'm soooo nervous. Probably the kind of feeling you get when about to propose to someone but I haven't experienced that, haha.

I think it is asking for a difficult situation in your life (doesn't have to be medicine related). I think the most important thing is to tie it into osteopathic medicine.

I will be joining you all in east lansing. Congrats to all so far and good luck to all those still on the trail...

For those who are accepted to MSU it would be nice to know a little about each other. I am an anthropology major at GVSU. Where the rest of you from?

I'm a Health Sciences major from Kalamazoo College. I graduated last summer so now I'm looking for a job for a few months. Is anyone visiting MSU in the upcoming weeks? I'm scheduled for Sept. 24th.

I graduated in May from Ferris State with a major in biochemistry and a minor in cell / molecular biology. Doing a MS at Wayne State right now. Is anyone from the east side of the state, and know anything about MSUCOM's Macomb County Campus whether or not it is still on track for 2008??
-mefink, I'm gonna tour campus, probably not that soon though
Can't wait to see more 2012s on SDN!

Hi Everyone!
I just found out I'm a member of the class of 2012!!! GO STATE!
(Also an East-Sider)
MCC campus is on hold till 2009 at the earliest. (so is the DMC campus) long story, lots of politics involved.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in June!!

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! :hardy: My secondary is waiting for committee review, for some reason I'm losing motivation to fill out my secondaries for other schools to save money and because this is my dream school. Hope to hear good news soon.

I graduated from MSU this past spring, with my degree in human biology. I'm doing the campus tour on Sept 27, this Thursday, so if anyone else is going to be there that day hit me up! I also was wondering, do they need our deposit by a certain date or just by Dec. 1st? It seems like December from the acceptance materials, but I def dont want to miss that deadline! I'm going to clarify when I'm there this next week, but if anyone here has already researched please let me know!

I'm a Health Sciences major from Kalamazoo College. I graduated last summer so now I'm looking for a job for a few months. Is anyone visiting MSU in the upcoming weeks? I'm scheduled for Sept. 24th.
Congrats to everyone that got accepted. I got the e-mail Sept 12 ;). Im visiting MSU Sept. 24th, holy hell we will see each other o_O. Good Luck to everyone and I am looking forward to seeing everyone in June!

I just received an invitation to schedule an admissions interview with MSUCOM. Any insights???? The acceptance invitation would have be much more reassuring.:oops:

if you accepted MSUCOM's admission offer and their invitation to visit the campus, do they contact you to schedule the tour? or was I suppose to schedule it??

if you accepted MSUCOM's admission offer and their invitation to visit the campus, do they contact you to schedule the tour? or was I suppose to schedule it??

In the body of the e-mail it should have a link to setting up your interview you get to pick the day but not the time. don't forget to reply to the e-mail and check which box you want. Good luck!

Hi Everyone. I'm a biomedical science major at GVSU. Just got my acceptance email this morning!

Does anyone know the exact date in June that orientation and classes begin?

I just went for the campus visit today, and I believe he said that they start about June 25...that is the date that he gave, but I'm sure it would vary so that they start on that Monday...now that I think about it, I'm not sure if thats the start day for orientation or classes, but he did say they get the ball rollin the last week of June.

Congrats! A guy from GVSU was in my group today as well...

I just went for the campus visit today, and I believe he said that they start about June 25...that is the date that he gave, but I'm sure it would vary so that they start on that Monday...now that I think about it, I'm not sure if thats the start day for orientation or classes, but he did say they get the ball rollin the last week of June.

Congrats! A guy from GVSU was in my group today as well...

Yeah I got in touch with him. His sn is look4wisdom.

I made a facebook group. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2012.

Anyone visiting campus on Oct 10th??? That's my date.

Hey SPEETER is that you Wake Boarding!? Im so upset my dad made me take his boat out of the water no more water fun for me!:cry: Its all ok though I found a solution. I brought some beers to the neighbor kids that still have there boat in the water to let me use it to wake board, water ski and swim.:p

Hey SPEETER is that you Wake Boarding!? Im so upset my dad made me take his boat out of the water no more water fun for me!:cry: Its all ok though I found a solution. I brought some beers to the neighbor kids that still have there boat in the water to let me use it to wake board, water ski and swim.:p
Great idea on the beer! Yeah that's me. I'm a outdoors nut, especially water sports. For some reason my g/f can never get a picture of me 4 feet in the air :mad:.

hi everyone,

does anyone know how long the wait list has become already?? thanks!

I'm thinking of living here. I will most likely try to sign a lease before December. Anyone want to room with me? Check out this link to Central Park Apartments. According to Kathy in the admissions office, lots of COM and CHM students live here. I was thinking of going with "The Park Avenue" floor plan.

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f...ts/fyp/search/spg/result_row.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=1

pm me if interested

I'm thinking of living here. I will most likely try to sign a lease before December. Anyone want to room with me? Check out this link to Central Park Apartments. According to Kathy in the admissions office, lots of COM and CHM students live here. I was thinking of going with "The Park Avenue" floor plan.
http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f...ts/fyp/search/spg/result_row.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=1

Yeah I need a place to live also. interviews speeter..... Do you tend to STUDY ALOT? :laugh: Speeter im not sure were the hell I wanna live yet but when do we need to figure that out? I for sure want a roommate to cut down on cost+we will be studying the same mumbo jumbo. I think before agreeing upon things should try to get to know the person first. So if you have questions to ask me or if you want to go look at apartments with me just to see if our personalities mesh let me know! I know ZERO people from msu and the area I know even less about. :) Weekends are best for me to do anything really. during the week kinda stuck in classes. Oh and im SO upset if I get a 4.0 this semester im .004 away from magnum cum laude and I asked the school if they would round and they said no! what a bummer:mad:. anyways catch ya later

Yeah I need a place to live also. interviews speeter..... Do you tend to STUDY ALOT? :laugh: Speeter im not sure were the hell I wanna live yet but when do we need to figure that out? I for sure want a roommate to cut down on cost+we will be studying the same mumbo jumbo. I think before agreeing upon things should try to get to know the person first. So if you have questions to ask me or if you want to go look at apartments with me just to see if our personalities mesh let me know! I know ZERO people from msu and the area I know even less about. :) Weekends are best for me to do anything really. during the week kinda stuck in classes. Oh and im SO upset if I get a 4.0 this semester im .004 away from magnum cum laude and I asked the school if they would round and they said no! what a bummer:mad:. anyways catch ya later
Well the fact that you like wakeboarding is really all I need to know. I study about an hour a day for 16 credits in undergrad...so no not alot. I'm ready to buckle down for medical school. I tend to do very efficient studying rather than excessive hours. I'm going to EL this weekend to check out apartments on my way to the UofM vs Purdue game. Give me a call sometime. I'll pm u my phone #.

Just thought I would share a few thoughts on housing in EL...

A lot of people are living in Berrytree right near campus - you have to sign a lease early though because they go fast (and are relatively cheap). I used to live in Club Meridian right off Okemos road and only 5 minutes from school - the apartments are pretty nice and cheaper than Central Park (I paid $715/mth and that included gas/trash). There are also lots of apartments further out - just remember, it snows and some exams (well, most second year) are at 7 am!

I highly suggest you get your own apartment (especially for the first year)...get to know some people then decide if you want to live together. Also, I think students tend to underestimate the amount of time you are going to be studying second year (especially since first year at times felt easier than undergrad) - you really need to have a quiet place to study and if you choose to live with someone, you should have similar study schedules. I lived in a house with a friend the first year, and I was much happier once I got the apartment on my own second year. (Just my two cents, of course!)

PM if you have any questions about MSUCOM...:D

Hey everyone. I was accepted :) for 2012 and am not doing the tour as I already go to MSU for undergrad.

Tips on finding apartments:

This coming weekend is the housing rush, but I've learned that the best deals come afterwards. Sure, there are conveniences to living near campus, but you'll pay for it. There will always be open apartments, they may just not be your first choice.

Also, if you sign a lease after the rush (so really December through the start of classes), they tend to offer you $0 deposit or 1st month rent free.

Also, Lansing has a relatively extensive bus system and most apartments in East Lansing are on a bus route that will eventually get you to campus if you don't have a car or something happens to your car.

Apartments to stay away from are Cedar Village and any Chandler Apartments (crossings, village, etc.). These areas tend to be exceptionally loud and full of parties which can be fun but will most likely hinder your studying.

Furnished apartments (or partially furnished) do exist. Most of them are available through DTN management. DTN apartments are generally more expensive and most undergrads have these apartments. But, if you don't mind paying more so you don't have to move/buy furniture, it's an option.

Good luck to everyone else applying!

Hi all. I just got accepted! Do you guys know how the testing schedule is, i.e. once a week like NSU or the possibility to have multiple exams in one week?

Hi all. I just got accepted! Do you guys know how the testing schedule is, i.e. once a week like NSU or the possibility to have multiple exams in one week?

Test schedule is highly variable...check out this link and click on each semester then "Weekly Schedule". http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/preclerkship/?semester=1

During first year, you usually have about 1 exam per week during the Fall semester (really light schedule), and then it picks up pace during the Spring semester (we had 8 exams in three weeks time when I was a first year). For most of second year, you have an exam basically every Monday (grows old real fast!) and sometimes multiple exams in a week.

The schedule is likely to change - it certainly has since I was a second year - mostly based on student recommendations and comments. Congrats on getting accepted! :)

Thanks! I think I am going to go on the campus visit. What do folks usually wear?