Official MSUCOM Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not in the place, as of yet, to determine the intrinsic rewards of my education. A week ago I studied for 14 hours straight. There is little in the world compared to looking at a clock at 5 in the afternoon and thinking to yourself, "I can still work 6 to 7 hours today!"

The absolute hardest two months of medical school, at least MSUCOM, are february, the first february you have 7 exams in 28 days, the second february you have cardio. You will have more material on one exam than you did in entire courses in undergrad.

There is absolutely no deep thinking involved in a medical education, in fact, as far as difficulty is concerned, you will probably think that organic 2 was harder than any one class in medical school. IT IS THE VOLUME OF MATERIAL THAT WILL KICK YOUR ***!

unfortunately you will not understand these concepts until you experience them.

Also, you will be cocky and arrogant, or you will see many of your colleagues cockiness and arrogance. The sooner you understand that you are undertaking something that is much, much larger than you, the happier you will be.

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't mistake my previous message for being cocky or arrogant, that is so not my style was going for encouraging more than anything else, the whole light at the end of the tunnel thingy!! So if I came off arrogant I certainly apologize. Thanks for the heads up on what we can expect, I am already hoping that I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but I am hoping with the wonderful program, the excellent support and what seems to be a very outgoing and friendly group of individuals entering the Class of 2012 that with a lot of hard work we will all make it through to the end! Besides I just love a challenge! Congrats on surviving February once again and I guess you're greatful February is the short month!!

Just to revive this thread...

Does anyone know if the summer anatomy lab portion correlates nicely with the lecture portion, or is it essentially two separate classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yaay, I got a reminder email to fill out the FAFSA and get it submitted. I did all of that, and applied for all the scholarships, back in January, so I called the office to make sure they had all of my info. She was super helpful, and told me that I should hear back in about a month give or take with my package! Thats earlier than I was hoping for, so yay for good med school news today!

Does anyone know if the summer anatomy lab portion correlates nicely with the lecture portion, or is it essentially two separate classes?

The summer anatomy truly coordinates with the lab...I think there were only 1 or 2 days where the lab material was "ahead" of the lecture material (and that was when we had anatomy in 6 weeks). Lecture is 8-10 am daily and then you have 2 hours of lab (time is dependent on which group you are in and rotates daily). The lab is then open to anyone for self- or small group-study after the last group time slot ends.

The summer anatomy truly coordinates with the lab...I think there were only 1 or 2 days where the lab material was "ahead" of the lecture material (and that was when we had anatomy in 6 weeks). Lecture is 8-10 am daily and then you have 2 hours of lab (time is dependent on which group you are in and rotates daily). The lab is then open to anyone for self- or small group-study after the last group time slot ends.

Thanks!

That info helps, Thanks!

Just curious, does MSUCOM grant a degree of "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" or a "Doctor of Osteopathy"? I think the osteopathic medicine route sounds better, but I know that DO originated from the osteopathy track. Does anyone here know this?

Well just got done with spring break. Returning to school is making me want to vomit because of I got to do, for ten days, all of the things that I love to do and enjoy all of the people that I lost when I walked down this path.

If there weren't 6 weeks left I WOULD QUIT.

That info helps, Thanks!

Just curious, does MSUCOM grant a degree of "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" or a "Doctor of Osteopathy"? I think the osteopathic medicine route sounds better, but I know that DO originated from the osteopathy track. Does anyone here know this?

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

Does anyone know where I can find the payment options for MSUCOM? Is it one big bill each term or are there monthly installment options?

Does anyone know where I can find the payment options for MSUCOM? Is it one big bill each term or are there monthly installment options?

You should call the MSU financial aid office to find out specifics.

However, assuming that med school billing is similar to undergrad billing... you can pay it all at the beginning or they have a minimum amount due at various times throughout the semester.

Congrats for being able to pay without loans... I'm definitely jealous.

I have the luxury of some free time before classes begin. Anyone have suggestions for books or subjects to start studying for? Specifics would be great. Thanks

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I spoke with a lady on the phone a few weeks ago, and she told me to expect to receive notification in a few weeks or so...also, does anyone know when we are notified if we received any scholarships we applied for? Do we get that info with our aid package, or does it come separately? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I spoke with a lady on the phone a few weeks ago, and she told me to expect to receive notification in a few weeks or so...also, does anyone know when we are notified if we received any scholarships we applied for? Do we get that info with our aid package, or does it come separately? Thanks!

I got my financial aid package via email (msu account) on Saturday. I didn't apply for any of the scholarships so I do not know about that.

I got my financial aid package via email (msu account) on Saturday. I didn't apply for any of the scholarships so I do not know about that.

Have you already registered for the anatomy course? I was waiting to officially enroll as I still have a few pending decisions from other schools, so I thought I would keep paperwork to a minimum until the timing was appropriate...do I need to be actually enrolled to get my package?? I'd really like to know if I'm getting anything from MSU!!

Also, as an aside, Heather from Central Park Apts called me today with an apartment available (Park Avenue version). I asked to be bumped to the June move-in list, as I was originally on the May list but haven't cemented my plans yet. She said the June apts should start coming available in the next couple weeks or so...just an update to anyone else thinking about living there! I know there were quite a few on the pre-osteo thread.

Have you already registered for the anatomy course? I was waiting to officially enroll as I still have a few pending decisions from other schools, so I thought I would keep paperwork to a minimum until the timing was appropriate...do I need to be actually enrolled to get my package?? I'd really like to know if I'm getting anything from MSU!!

Also, as an aside, Heather from Central Park Apts called me today with an apartment available (Park Avenue version). I asked to be bumped to the June move-in list, as I was originally on the May list but haven't cemented my plans yet. She said the June apts should start coming available in the next couple weeks or so...just an update to anyone else thinking about living there! I know there were quite a few on the pre-osteo thread.

I did register for anatomy but I do not know if that has anything to do with the financial package.

Hey Guys, I am going to be a first year at CHM this coming year. I just signed a lease at the Hamptons (the new complex right next to Berry Tree) I know you guys start earlier than we do, but I thought some of you may already be at MSU and have a lease right now that doesn't end until August - anyway if you do and need somewhere to live come August let me know! -Liz

.Question: When did/do you guys have to have your final deposit paid? :confused:

.Question: When did/do you guys have to have your final deposit paid? :confused:

I think it depends on when you were accepted... but my final payment was due Feb 15.

Well, I got SIX emails today telling me I was rejected for scholarships...if any of you applied for them and didn't get these emails, good luck!

As a side note, a friend of mine just got an acceptance email yesterday. I think it was a special circumstance, but I think it's kind of interesting that they are still carefully selecting a few more people for the entering class!

Well, I got SIX emails today telling me I was rejected for scholarships...if any of you applied for them and didn't get these emails, good luck!

As a side note, a friend of mine just got an acceptance email yesterday. I think it was a special circumstance, but I think it's kind of interesting that they are still carefully selecting a few more people for the entering class!

At least I'm not alone...I got three scholarship rejection emails... not a very happy ending to a gloomy day (at least in East Lansing it's really gloomy)...

My financial aid came through a few days ago too. Does anyone know how much tuition is for summer? I'm trying to figure out a budget with the remaining $.

My financial aid came through a few days ago too. Does anyone know how much tuition is for summer? I'm trying to figure out a budget with the remaining $.

http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf

It's from MSU's finaid website under "COM budget". It breaks down everything how they think that you should spend your loan and at least it tells you how much is tuition/how much is non-tuition. i.e. they give you $4020 for living expenses for the 8 weeks of summer.

Man do I feel slow, I was accepted into MSUCOM back at the beginning of September and just found this thread. My update on all the happenings of financial aid and registration...I registered as soon as they would let me (3/14 I think) and received my letter of financial aid yesterday. Glad to see there will be some other people from the Southwest part of the state up there with me.

Make sure you join the Facebook group too..For those of you planning on heading to the open house, looks like some members of the class are considering a meet up prior to the onset of classes in June!

It would be really interesting to put names from facebook on SDN screennames. But dont' sacrifice your anonymity just for curiosity's sake.

Did everyone see that we are scheduled for the Fall semester now?

stu info... i was looking at my class schedule. Did you already enroll for summer anatomy?

Yep, I enrolled...I wonder when we find out which group we are in?? I'm pretty excited to meet some of my classmates!

Also, if you go to the preclerkship pages on MSUCOM's website, they give book lists and weekly schedules if you would be interested in browsing through them. Kinda nice to actually SEE how the days are structured (starting in the fall it looks pretty hectic...).

I also saw on StuInfo that they have fin aid up for the fall semester- hopefully that's not all, as it is only showing another 38k in mostly unsubsidized loans (they told me I would definitely qualify for some need based money, so I hope that hasn't changed). I know this is definitely just a rough estimate, since they won't even set the new tuition hikes until July, but I guess it's interesting to know that the cogs are definitely turning over there in EL!

Fall semester doesn't look too bad to me. Notice the biochem and genetics split the semester, so we don't have both at once.

Is anyone going to the open house? I decided to ban Facebook a long time ago, I know I know... how lame, so i am not sure if anyone is planning on meeting up before. I am finishing my undergad degrees at MSU and would be down for meeting some of you.

JB

Is anyone going to the open house? I decided to ban Facebook a long time ago, I know I know... how lame, so i am not sure if anyone is planning on meeting up before. I am finishing my undergad degrees at MSU and would be down for meeting some of you.

JB

According to facebook et al., people are going to some pizza house close to fee hall after the open house.

According to facebook et al., people are going to some pizza house close to fee hall after the open house.

Hmmm, I am going to try to make it to the open house. I don't have facebook either, I guess I should go back and reactivate the account so I can join. If anyone happens upon the exact pizza place, post it up here, and I'll go if I can!

As of the last few messages on Facebook, we were trying to plan a gathering at Pizza House following Open House. Several individuals were talking about meeting up outside of Fee Hall following the Open House and heading over to Pizza House as a group considering the Pizza House is within walking distance! I am planning on going to Open House and Pizza House so feel free to PM me if you want to meet up~ I am an import to MI (while I technically am Instate,thank God for tuition purposes, I am not from around these parts and don't know Lansing or E. Lansing for that matter) so I am counting on you MI natives(Lansing/E.L especially) to help get me acquainted over the next few months!! Looking forward to meeting the Class of 2012!!!

Can someone post a link to the facebook group? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. If anyone else is curious, the link is posted on the first page of this thread.

Anyone else notice on Stuinfo (stuinfo.msu.edu) that they have our courses up for fall?

Crazy... at least we're done by noon everyday except Tuesday! Too bad all that extra time will be spent studying.

Anyone else notice on Stuinfo (stuinfo.msu.edu) that they have our courses up for fall?

Crazy... at least we're done by noon everyday except Tuesday! Too bad all that extra time will be spent studying.

In case you are all wondering, the fall semester is pretty cake (especially in retrospect!)...I had plenty of time for family commitments, working out, etc., because many of the exams only cover 10-15 lectures (sometimes less). It is a great time to consider doing some electives (including sports med or shadowing a doc in a field you are interested in) or get involved in some activities like Friendship Clinic. Just a heads up!

In case you are all wondering, the fall semester is pretty cake (especially in retrospect!)...I had plenty of time for family commitments, working out, etc., because many of the exams only cover 10-15 lectures (sometimes less). It is a great time to consider doing some electives (including sports med or shadowing a doc in a field you are interested in) or get involved in some activities like Friendship Clinic. Just a heads up!

Thanks drchick. I wish I would have been given a similar heads up for college. I will definitely try to make the most of the first few months.

What do you think is a manageable amount of credits/electives to take in addition to the normal coursework? I'm sure I will want to take some electives, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking too many.

What do you think is a manageable amount of credits/electives to take in addition to the normal coursework? I'm sure I will want to take some electives, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking too many.

I am guessing that you could easily take two electives (sports med and tropical med are weekly) and then a shadowing elective (since those are usually one three or four hour shift a semester) during the fall semester. Most of my friends took either sports med or tropical med throughout the first two years with no concerns of being overburdened.

Isn't second semester supposed to be really tough?

Isn't second semester supposed to be really tough?

Second semester is certainly a change from the fall semester, but mostly because you need to learn how to efficiently manage your time. There are a couple of rough weeks with numerous exams over a short period, but the one thing that MSUCOM does a great job of is slowly increasing the amount of lectures on each exam.throughout first year. By the end of the summer semester, you are used to having 20-30 lectures to study from. Personally, I really enjoyed the spring semester (once you finish physiology). I loved neuro and path, and you start to think you are actually in med school (and not still in undergrad).

As most med students have been told, you will never understand the challenges of med school until you truly experience them. The key to med school is learning to adapt quickly and managing your time. From my experience, if you want to make time to do a few extracurriculars, you can do it...

lol Interesting to see the event I started on Facebook made it to SDN, (though I can't take credit, my future roommate took the reins and ran with it!) Anyway, to all those that can make it, we're meeting outside Fee Hall after the open house, then taking the very short walk to the Pizza House, I'm pretty sure there will be Pizza ;) and hopefully beer... We're thinking of meeting up again some time before class in June. It will most likely be posted on facebook. (if you're wondering who the two goofballs that keep posting on the MSUCOM 2012 group are, that's us)

BTW to those that are not familar with campus, nothing beats MSU's campus in the spring! (but I'm a biased Alumni)

I do have one question: I assume parking is limited, so when is the best time to go secure parking for the fall/spring? sounds like EDYE parking is the way to go, are spaces limited?

I do have one question: I assume parking is limited, so when is the best time to go secure parking for the fall/spring? sounds like EDYE parking is the way to go, are spaces limited?

I'm luckily living within walking distance of Fee, but from what I've heard, EDYE is the way to go. I believe it's limited so better to contact them sooner rather than later. If I'm correct it is a bit closer to Fee than the Radiology parking lot and it is a LOT cheaper. If only we could park in X-lot instead of the undergrads...

I'm luckily living within walking distance of Fee, but from what I've heard, EDYE is the way to go. I believe it's limited so better to contact them sooner rather than later. If I'm correct it is a bit closer to Fee than the Radiology parking lot and it is a LOT cheaper. If only we could park in X-lot instead of the undergrads...

Do you know if their contracts are for the whole year or by summer, fall, spring intervals?

Do you know if their contracts are for the whole year or by summer, fall, spring intervals?

Absolutely no clue. If I had to guess it would be fall/spring because in the summer you can park in Lot 91 for free. I would call them to be absolutely sure... their number is on the "super secret website" under orientation schedule I believe.

I just checked my financial aid, as I hadn't looked at it in a while, and saw that I have been given a bit of institutional aid (3k a year). Yaaay! Hopefully, there's more to come, and some of you share in the love too!

Also, does anyone know what we have to do to waive the health insurance? I'm still under my dad's until I'm 25, so would like to save that 2k a year as well if I can. I've called two different numbers, and emailed about two weeks ago to no response, and am not sure what else to do to get that amount waived from my aid. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!