Official MSUCOM Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's why I'm hoping that a current student can kind of weigh in on if that seems to be a popular choice or not...that is the one major pro about MSUCOM for me. If I couldn't be at that hospital (it is literally down the road from my entire family) and I got put in the UP I would be mighty cranky...

Isn't it only a lottery if more people want it than there are spots? If there are ten openings for Genesys, for example, and nine people put it as their top choice they all would get it. It's not a complete lottery in that people are just randomly placed...only when say 15 people want somewhere with 10 spots does it go to a lottery system.

Sorry to inform you, but Genesys has gone to lottery for the last two years with 14 positions available...for the class of 2009, it was the hospital where two students that did not get it in the lottery ended up offering $$ for others to give up their positions (and it worked much to the admin's dismay)...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to inform you, but Genesys has gone to lottery for the last two years with 14 positions available...for the class of 2009, it was the hospital where two students that did not get it in the lottery ended up offering $$ for others to give up their positions (and it worked much to the admin's dismay)...

Gargh, that's what I was afraid to hear!!!! Thanks for letting me know though. That could be a swing factor if and when the time comes...I may have to start a special piggy bank :D

Doesn't the "popular" site change every year?

Members don't see this ad :)

I know I've been told that the Lansing sites are always pretty popular, but I'm sure there is at least a little variation every year depending on where the class seems to come from more...like if there are a lot of people from the western side of the state one year, then more easterners the next.

I think it's dumb that they don't take into consideration people with families. It would be hard enough for me to have to uproot my (future) husband from his job in order to move to whatever place I got stuck with through a lottery. I can't imagine having to uproot kids from their school district just by the luck of the draw. Seems like they should implement something to take those situations into consideration...a single person can pretty easily just pick up and move. The more people involved, the harder it is.

I know I've been told that the Lansing sites are always pretty popular, but I'm sure there is at least a little variation every year depending on where the class seems to come from more...like if there are a lot of people from the western side of the state one year, then more easterners the next.

I think it's dumb that they don't take into consideration people with families. It would be hard enough for me to have to uproot my (future) husband from his job in order to move to whatever place I got stuck with through a lottery. I can't imagine having to uproot kids from their school district just by the luck of the draw. Seems like they should implement something to take those situations into consideration...a single person can pretty easily just pick up and move. The more people involved, the harder it is.

Yeah, but that isn't fair to the single folks. All the married folks get the spots in Lansing...

Yeah, but that isn't fair to the single folks. All the married folks get the spots in Lansing...

There are waaaaay more single folks than those that have to worry about others. I don't think that people with families should necessarily just get first dibs, but there should be SOME kind of way to take it into account. I don't really want a spot in Lansing, just one that would allow me and my husband to still live in the same house with a reasonable amount of commute. If a spouse has a job, you can't very well just expect them to up and move because you got shafted by a lottery. Then its just splitting up of families, which is whack. I guess I shouldn't worry about this quite yet, but it's a real worry of mine. I have already had to take quite a few things into account because of trying to make a family situation work...dang it would be simpler to be a single med student than one tied down :p Not really complaining, just pointing out something to all you singles out there!

The "popular" sites haven't changed the last two years with one real exception...both years the following hospitals went to lottery: Ingham, Sparrow, Henry Ford (Bicounty), Providence, Genesys, Botsford, Metro, and POH. The hospitals that tend to end up as those available to people that don't get their first choice for base hospital include: Bay Regional, Community Health of Branch, Oakwood Southshore and St John Oakland/Macomb. Most of the others have ended up even each year or close to it...

The "popular" sites haven't changed the last two years with one real exception...both years the following hospitals went to lottery: Ingham, Sparrow, Henry Ford (Bicounty), Providence, Genesys, Botsford, Metro, and POH. The hospitals that tend to end up as those available to people that don't get their first choice for base hospital include: Bay Regional, Community Health of Branch, Oakwood Southshore and St John Oakland/Macomb. Most of the others have ended up even each year or close to it...

Are the ones left over "bad" teaching hospitals or is location a big factor.

I don't really want a spot in Lansing, just one that would allow me and my husband to still live in the same house with a reasonable amount of commute.

I COMPLETELY AGREE! I am in such a predicament right now.... my husband and i live 1.5 hours away from msu so obviously we are going to move closer. My husband will quit his job and try to find one over there (hopefully)! We are looking at apartments and for something decently nice, it is very expensive. (WE LOVE THE ASPEN RIDGE apts in Holt, has anyone checked those out... WOW!) So then, my hubby thought of buying a house because of the great prices we found on BRAND NEW HOMES in cities such as Holt and Mason. I mean seriously, we can buy a 1500 sqft COLONIAL house with 2.5 car garage, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, did I mention BRAND NEW..... with a monthly payment that is comparable to a 2 bedroom apt. (My husband works in real estate so he would rather invest our money in a house than rent, or in his words, flush our money down the toilet!) SO ANYWAYS.... We are so confused and SCARED to buy a house because if I dont get the rotation in lansing, we have to get up and sell the house in the matter of a year (and with this WONDERFUL market.. we will need a miracle), and move back to what ever location I end up getting because once u are in the lottery and u dont get your spot, you have to pick from left over spots that might not be very desirable to u. WHEWWW... sorry for babbling, im just stressing!!!! :confused: :scared: :scared: :confused:

The only good news I heard so far is that you will find out where your rotation is IN THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR SECOND YEAR, so u have a year to figure out in what direction your life is going! That was really good to hear. ALL In ALL, IM STILL VERY EXCITED TO START THIS JOURNEY AND MEET ALL OF YOU!!! :hardy:

Make sure that you all sign up to do the Saturday clinics (Friendship) and Indigent Patient Program. They are great experiences to help you get comfortable with patients, and Max and the nurses are super nice.

You'll have a really good time. Just telling you in advance because it's a pretty popular program.

Are the ones left over "bad" teaching hospitals or is location a big factor.

It's all location IMO...or specialty interest of the group in the lottery (which never makes sense to me why St. John's Oakland goes unfilled the first round because they have LOTS of ortho spots)...

I certainly wouldn't attribute the lack of interest to "bad teaching" - just location, location, location!

It's all location IMO...or specialty interest of the group in the lottery (which never makes sense to me why St. John's Oakland goes unfilled the first round because they have LOTS of ortho spots)...

I certainly wouldn't attribute the lack of interest to "bad teaching" - just location, location, location!

That's a plus!

Make sure that you all sign up to do the Saturday clinics (Friendship) and Indigent Patient Program. They are great experiences to help you get comfortable with patients, and Max and the nurses are super nice.

You'll have a really good time. Just telling you in advance because it's a pretty popular program.

When would we need to know that we wanted to start doing these programs? Do they start pretty much right when school does?

Also, one question about financial aid. I already have my FAFSA completed (EFC=0, and yes I included the parental info), and I've sent in all of the scholarship info about two weeks ago. When could I reasonably expect to hear what my package is? Do they wait until a certain day (say March 15 like allos) or do they send them when they get them completed?? This is the last major worry I have. When could I expect to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
So who else from our class is like me and wants to end up at a base hospital on the west side of the state? If I'm not mistaken there are only 3; Traverse City, Grand Rapids, and Muskegon.

I heard Grand Rapids is popular.

Also, one question about financial aid. I already have my FAFSA completed (EFC=0, and yes I included the parental info), and I've sent in all of the scholarship info about two weeks ago. When could I reasonably expect to hear what my package is? Do they wait until a certain day (say March 15 like allos) or do they send them when they get them completed?? This is the last major worry I have. When could I expect to hear?

This seems a little strange to me, but I was told by the financial aid people that they won't analyze your FAFSA until after you are officially enrolled. We will get the information on enrolling sometime in early Febuary. So basically you have to wait for a month or two to know how you're getting the money for school. Again, this seems strange to me, so if you find anything else out please let me know!

This seems a little strange to me, but I was told by the financial aid people that they won't analyze your FAFSA until after you are officially enrolled. We will get the information on enrolling sometime in early Febuary. So basically you have to wait for a month or two to know how you're getting the money for school. Again, this seems strange to me, so if you find anything else out please let me know!

Hmm, well I'm also all paid up in my deposits (sent them the full grand already), so I wonder if that counts as being 'enrolled'. That would make some kind of sense, as I had to pay one deposit at the beginning of December, and then this second one by the first of February. I'll check out the website one last time, then maybe give them a call today to see if I can find out any kind of estimate as to when we get our package...

Have any of you guys received any update emails lately? I haven't received one in about 100 years.

Have any of you guys received any update emails lately? I haven't received one in about 100 years.

To answer a couple of general questions...

1.) Fin Aid - It will take the office a few weeks to months to process your application and get things in order - this is a busy time for them since they are processing all the med students including the newbies...don't worry though - you will get plenty of money and an email or letter when you award has been finalized...when I started anatomy, we were able to pick up our disbursement checks during the first few days of orientation...

2.) Email updates - Don't expect many updates from COM unless there is a specific deadline...most emails are sent around April/May regarding final orientation schedules etc...

3.) Computer purchase - COM has a special fin aid package to help you purchase a computer (it is a one-time $2500 loan)...my suggestion is to wait until the after the first day of class to actually purchase a computer and then SAVE your receipt for reimbursement purposes (just a heads up to those of you wanting to purchase one ahead of time)...

4.) Enjoy your time before class starts - You may be tempted to buy First Aid or whatever book piques your interest...I recommend just relaxing the next few months and read something a bit less painful before the fun begins...:D

Thanks for the info about fin aid. I also haven't received hardly any emails, but keep checking out the website for our class, they put new things up there periodically...

congratulations to all of you who will be starting MSUCOM this fall. I know it is very early but as an alumni of MSUCOM and the Physician Director of Clerkship at Botsford Hospital, I would be willing to answer any questions that you have regarding third or fourth year rotations. I agree with some of the previous post about location, to a point. You do need to realize that within southeast michigan you may have 10-15 hospitals within 1 hour of each other and there are definitely differences between the programs so I encourage you to ask around, do some internet research, speak with students who have been base students at the hospital you are looking at and find out what each hospital has to offer. Realize that everyone is looking for different things and what they want may not be what you want so make sure you utilize all your resources. If anyone wants more information about Botsford I would be happy to share via phone or PM. I will not stand on my soapbox about Botsford but would be happy to discuss individually with anyone who is interested. Good luck and will see you when it is your class time for hospital day (where you get to talk to individuals from the various hospitals up at MSU. It will be at the end of March for the class ahead of you)

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Physician Director of Clerkship
Botsford Hospital
MSUCOM Class of 95'(can't believe it was over 10 years ago)
248-471-8868

Thank you so much for opening yourself up to all of us and being willing to share information that will be so crucial in helping us make an informed decision about our clerkship years! Any information you would be willing to share about which specialty programs Botsford really takes pride in would be most helpful! I as someone who plans on commuting into lansing for the 1st 2 years and will be taking advantage of all the wonderful clerkship opportunities closer to my home in the detroit suburbs am very interested in whatever information you can share with us! I have already introduced myself to Dr. Belen the coordinator at Huron Valley Sinai Hospital as I work with an orthopedic practice based out of HVSH! So I am always looking for ways to get as much info as possible as soon as possible! I am looking foward to picking your brain about your program through PM or by phone in the near future! Right now I am trying to wrap my head around the orientation schedule that we received for June! It is getting so real and I am so excited I can't wait to get started!

It is a little early to consider the differences between third and fourth year sites as you guys have not even started!!! Just wanted to let you know I am here as resource, when you are ready. If you are ready now or once you start and you want more specifics I can talk all day on why this is a great place to train. Good luck on the start of school. For your sake hopefully MSUCOM has gotten rid of tests every Monday which always would kill the weekends when I was there! Also, if they still have it, subscribe to the scribe service which gives you notes for the classes.

Thanks dockev!

Did everyone get the biosketch email? fun fun!

Good luck on the start of school. For your sake hopefully MSUCOM has gotten rid of tests every Monday which always would kill the weekends when I was there! Also, if they still have it, subscribe to the scribe service which gives you notes for the classes.

MSUCOM has yet to see the inherent evil of Monday exams...I think there was only one Monday during my fall semester of second year where we didn't have an exam (and that was Labor Day)...

I also highly recommend the Scribe Service (I was their treasurer :D)...on a more serious note, the Scribe Service it is a non-profit organization run by members of your class that provides lecture notes for every class. You may not see the benefit right away (particularly during anatomy or phys), but remember that by supporting the Scribe Service, you are prepping them for when you will need them most (starting with Pharm and NMS in the summer after 1st year)...by second year, only a handful of people don't purchase scribes...If you are interested in working for the Scribe Service, I am guessing that you will have the opportunity to sign up during orientation or the first few days of Anatomy.

MSUCOM has yet to see the inherent evil of Monday exams...I think there was only one Monday during my fall semester of second year where we didn't have an exam (and that was Labor Day)...

I also highly recommend the Scribe Service (I was their treasurer :D)...on a more serious note, the Scribe Service it is a non-profit organization run by members of your class that provides lecture notes for every class. You may not see the benefit right away (particularly during anatomy or phys), but remember that by supporting the Scribe Service, you are prepping them for when you will need them most (starting with Pharm and NMS in the summer after 1st year)...by second year, only a handful of people don't purchase scribes...If you are interested in working for the Scribe Service, I am guessing that you will have the opportunity to sign up during orientation or the first few days of Anatomy.

I have a question about the scribe service? I am 100% sure I am going to use it but I just wanted to know how it is regulated. Is it just someone in your class copying the notes or is there additional hints and whatnots added to them. Is there only one scribe for each class?

Why are they so great?

I have a question about the scribe service? I am 100% sure I am going to use it but I just wanted to know how it is regulated. Is it just someone in your class copying the notes or is there additional hints and whatnots added to them. Is there only one scribe for each class?

Why are they so great?

The scribe service consists of a scribe and an auditor that each are teamed to cover one lecture hour each week (i.e., 1 pm on Wednesday - if there isn't a class at that time each week, then they don't have a scribe to submit)...There is an elected E-board as well consisting of a president, treasurer, coordinator and IT person and a liaison for each class...The scribe is responsible for the majority of the product (both scribe and auditor attend class) and types up the scribe while watching the MediaSite Live recording...when I scribed, I would take crazy amounts of notes in addition to the those provided in the course pack - you are required to include pretty much everything the prof says of importance...I tried to simplify some of the longer tangents and make things in a very learnable (if that's a word?) fashion...many people (esp those that never attended class) would study strictly from scribes so you need to include anything testable.

The auditor's job is then basically editing - both grammar and content. They are required to watch the MediaSite recording and read through the Scribe's copy, making changes and adding images as necessary. Most scribes are between 4-6 typed pages in outline form (including about 5 practice questions at the end)...

Why are scribes important? I started med school (esp first year) typing notes for each exam straight from the notes I was taking...I found out quickly that I was missing some important points and scribes really helped to fill in the details I couldn't catch (and by the time cardio rolled around 2nd year and we had over 120 lectures on the final exam, I just didn't have the time to summarize lecture notes AND study that much lecture material)..additionally, I found that for certain classes/profs, I would benefit more from just listening to the lecture while in class and then when studying, I would use the scribes...some classes include a review lecture that would emphasize important points for an upcoming exam, and these scribes were usually very concise and helpful!

Another awesome benefit to scribes were the ones for OMM - they were really great to study for practicals because the scribe/auditor pair included lots of pictures of hand placement, patient set-up, etc...

A final benefit is that you are supporting your classmates - both financially for the Service employees but also academically if you are an employee...I think that Scribes really emphasize one thing I love about MSUCOM - the sense of teamwork and lack of academic competitiveness...as a scribe/auditor, you are very aware that your finished product is being used by the other 200 people in your class, and it becomes a big responsibility to try to "teach" the tough concepts through your scribe...plus, if you are the scribe, studying for any topic that your scribe covered is pretty easy because by teaching others you are learning the material in one of the most effective ways...

A final note on regulation...one of the most difficult aspects of being on the E-board is that at times you have to take some disciplinary action which can mean "letting people go" if they don't seem to be giving 100% to their work...we always tried to help employees get through the scribe learning curve, but sometimes you have to keep in mind that people are paying for their work and they expect a quality product - certainly the part that made being on the E-board a challenge...:(

If you want a sample of a scribe, just PM me...I have a few (hundred) on my computer!

Thanks for the explanation!

Any information you would be willing to share about which specialty programs Botsford really takes pride in would be most helpful! I as someone who plans on commuting into lansing for the 1st 2 years and will be taking advantage of all the wonderful clerkship opportunities closer to my home in the detroit suburbs am very interested in whatever information you can share with us!

I work at Botsford and it seems to be a popular place for residency. A lot of surgery and IM residents choose "The Bots" b/c of the high rate of getting fellowships. I've heard that pretty much anyone that does a residency at Botsford gets their desired fellowhip. I happen to work in the ER and would say that if you're looking for action, maybe you'd want to investigate some of the trauma one centers downtown. However, surgery, ENT, and OBGYN get a lot of great cases just no trauma or anything requiring a lot of specialty care. If you're interested in ENT, it would be worth noting that Botsford ENT residents have the some of the highest case numbers of any ENT program in the entire US.

The work load (I'm talking being on call, weekly hours, etc) tends to be right in the middle and gets better with seniority. My ENT friend is in his 1st year (done with internship but in his 1st year of ENT with 4 to go) and is usually Q3 (on call every 3 days). Sometimes it's more, sometimes less. My girlfriend, who is OBGYN and in her 2nd year (internship counts as 1 year of OBGYN with 3 more to go) is only Q4-Q5 compared to last year when she was Q3-Q4. Both only get paid for 80 hours biweekly but have put in, on some occassions, well over 100 hours in ONE WEEK. Think about it.....you're on call 24 hours three times in one week but each time you have to stay an extra 6 hours to round, finish a case, med ed, etc...thats 120 hours in THREE DAYS!So not looking forward to those days! :barf:But those weeks are few and far in between and compared to other residencies, Botsford is pretty tame.

This is a general run down of what I know about Botsford, which happens to be in Farmington Hills. A lot of my friends are residents/interns so I get a lot of first hand knowledge. Botsford is definitely a place to check out, especially for rotations like IM and cardio. They have great teaching programs

Phew, that's all for now!

Everyone accepted and paid get their msu NetID? I got mine Saturday so I finally have my msu email!

Everyone accepted and paid get their msu NetID? I got mine Saturday so I finally have my msu email!

I got that yesterday! Can we set that up now? I thought we had to set that up March 14th.

I got that yesterday! Can we set that up now? I thought we had to set that up March 14th.

You can set up your email now. You have to wait until March 14 to sign up for summer anatomy. But once you have email, you can add the MSU network to your stalkerbook.

To set up email:
Go to mail.msu.edu and activate your account.

My mom called today to say that I got the letter about setting up my email...which I'm kind of bummed about, since I already had an MSU email account from when I was an undergrad...maybe they'll let me keep the same address??

Regardless, I'm about 80% sure that I will be at MSUCOM, but I just got an interview with CHM (I am in love with the Leadership for the Underserved program they have), so I have a few questions. I don't have the letter yet, won't get it until next week when I drive down to MSU for my other interview. Is there any advantage to registering early? Or would it be a hassle if I withdraw down the road? When is the last day to register? I'm assuming its the day right before class starts, but would I want to do that? Gah, I just want to have my fate settled at this point!

I'm kind of bummed to have the same email and PID... I know it's easier for MSU and easier for me, but after 4 years, things get repetitive and annoying...

FYI, for $10 you can change your email to just about anything ;) (within reason)...

Did anyone else see that anatomy ends on 8/21 and fall classes start on 8/25? I guess that kills a last minute summer vacation.

I'm kind of bummed to have the same email and PID... I know it's easier for MSU and easier for me, but after 4 years, things get repetitive and annoying...

FYI, for $10 you can change your email to just about anything ;) (within reason)...

Did anyone else see that anatomy ends on 8/21 and fall classes start on 8/25? I guess that kills a last minute summer vacation.

Haha. I changed my login yesterday.

I have a question about the match list that Dr Schafer just emailed out. I'm assuming that the people who are listed as 'did not participate' probably entered the allo match instead. However, there are quite a few people that are listed as 'did not match'!! Did this many people from MSUCOM enter the match and not get placed anywhere??? Thats a scary red flag to me!

I have a question about the match list that Dr Schafer just emailed out. I'm assuming that the people who are listed as 'did not participate' probably entered the allo match instead. However, there are quite a few people that are listed as 'did not match'!! Did this many people from MSUCOM enter the match and not get placed anywhere??? Thats a scary red flag to me!

Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what that means.

They may have not matched anywhere or they may have participated and ranked one or more DO residencies and also ranked some MD residencies out of state. I know one student who ranked MSU for PM&R last year, didn't match there, but did end up matching in an out of state PM&R residency. It's too bad that they don't send out an updated match list after the allo match, that would be far more informative. I wouldn't worry too much about it now, get through years 1 and 2 first.:)

It is a possibility that some of those people that didn't match tried for spots that are out of thier theoretical range because they might have done the allo and osteo match but applied for hard osteo matches thinking why not try for something maybe I will get in? Only speculating though :).

It is a possibility that some of those people that didn't match tried for spots that are out of thier theoretical range because they might have done the allo and osteo match but applied for hard osteo matches thinking why not try for something maybe I will get in? Only speculating though :).

That's a good thought.

I talked to one of my friends from the Class of 2008 and apparently, many students are opting not to match in the DO match and are going for the MD match.

I talked to one of my friends from the Class of 2008 and apparently, many students are opting not to match in the DO match and are going for the MD match.

I think the difference lies with the AOA's recent decision to become more lenient in accepting the first year ACGME residencies in lieu of traditional rotating osteopathic internships - I know it makes my decision to enter an ACGME-accredited residency that much easier...

The admin seem particularly concerned by this recent trend - it will be interesting to see their response...

I think the difference lies with the AOA's recent decision to become more lenient in accepting the first year ACGME residencies in lieu of traditional rotating osteopathic internships - I know it makes my decision to enter an ACGME-accredited residency that much easier...

The admin seem particularly concerned by this recent trend - it will be interesting to see their response...

Not to get too off topic, but most of the unfilled spots were FP and IM. Not everyone wants to go into FP or IM and increasing the class size at MSU and building new DO school without increasing the number of DO residencies, I don't know how they could be all that surprised.

Would you be willing to share the general details about how you went about getting your intern year approved and whether or not it was in a specialty that either didn't have any DO spots or didn't have enoughspots or wasn't in a particular geographic area? You don't have to be specific about anything that would compromise your anomonity(Sp?) if you don't want to.

Not to get too off topic, but most of the unfilled spots were FP and IM. Not everyone wants to go into FP or IM and increasing the class size at MSU and building new DO school without increasing the number of DO residencies, I don't know how they could be all that surprised.

Would you be willing to share the general details about how you went about getting your intern year approved and whether or not it was in a specialty that either didn't have any DO spots or didn't have enoughspots or wasn't in a particular geographic area? You don't have to be specific about anything that would compromise your anonymity. if you don't want to.
:D

Would you be willing to share the general details about how you went about getting your intern year approved and whether or not it was in a specialty that either didn't have any DO spots or didn't have enoughspots or wasn't in a particular geographic area? You don't have to be specific about anything that would compromise your anomonity(Sp?) if you don't want to.

I am a third year on a one-year leave of absence, so I won't be in the match until 2010...the AOA changes should make it easier for any intern year to count towards Michigan's requirements...I am not worried about yet.

I am a third year on a one-year leave of absence, so I won't be in the match until 2010...the AOA changes should make it easier for any intern year to count towards Michigan's requirements...I am not worried about yet.

Thanks.:) Sorry, I got the impression you were matching this year.
And thanks for the spelling correction Speeter. I swear, I could spell before med school:).

I would like to say congratulations to all of those who are going to be 1st years in July.

You need to make sure that medical school is something that you want to do. February will be the single hardest month for you. It is hell. I just took my final exam for cardio and study about 200 hours in 3 weeks. THIS IS HELL!

If you don't, at some point, think about killing yourself, or at the minimum think about quitting, then you either didn't work hard enough or you are living in a fantasy world.

enjoy the boredom while it lasts.

Yes but the real question is....if you had to go back and do it all again would you change your mind? If the answer is no, then you must be doing the right thing! Still loving it and thinking about how much you've risen to the challenge and that a lot of hard work and feeling like you have gone through hell and back will be worth it in the end~ more power to you and I am looking forward to being just like you! Thanks for the Congrats...unfortunately no boredom here! You got any words of wisdom for us newbies???

I would like to say congratulations to all of those who are going to be 1st years in July.

You need to make sure that medical school is something that you want to do. February will be the single hardest month for you. It is hell. I just took my final exam for cardio and study about 200 hours in 3 weeks. THIS IS HELL!

If you don't, at some point, think about killing yourself, or at the minimum think about quitting, then you either didn't work hard enough or you are living in a fantasy world.

Granted I haven't been through any of this yet, but as far as I understand from reading many many books is that internship is MUCH harder. I've heard that the didactic portion of med school is like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. The material isn't hard per se, but rather it is simply the volume that gets to you. Would you say this is correct?

Congratulations on surviving cardiology. It was the roughest course at MSUCOM by far.