Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By chance did anyone receive anything in regards to Financial Aid Award Letter (other than the verification worksheets). Since its Memorial Day tomorrow, i figured i couldn't get in contact with the office tomorrow, how's everyone else's status?

I spoke to the FA adviser so many times already, he says its complete/processed--- but dang. How long does it take to send a letter of confirmation? :(

Members don't see this ad.

the website says that tuition is due August 1 and financial aid won't be distributed until after the add/drop date. So are we expected to have our OWN money by August 1?

the website says that tuition is due August 1 and financial aid won't be distributed until after the add/drop date. So are we expected to have our OWN money by August 1?

no, that means, if u borrowed over the cost of tuition, don't expect a refund 1st day of class, refunds usually are during 1st week or 2 of class, so if u're living strictly on ur refund check, think it again...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just a few questions:

-Do we need to send anything back for financial aid if we're accepting all of the loans/scholarships? It says to only send it back if we're not accepting or reducing the amounts.

-Has anyone received anything about on-campus housing? I sent my deposit and they cashed my check, but I haven't gotten anything about my housing assignment yet :(

-Lastly, this may sound really stupid, but MCPHS was sending mail to my school address and I could've sworn I indicated to stop sending the material there after May 1st, but I'm beginning to worry since I haven't gotten anything at my new address; who would I contact to confirm the change of address?

Thanks!

if u're accepting all ur loans/scholarship, u don't have to do anything. Make sure that you fill the online entrance "interview" form tho.. they shoudl have given you a deadline as well as the website. it's sthg e-fao.com... sthg like that.

for on-campus housing, you would want to call the resident director, Alex, he can tell you more about it.

For address change, call registrar's office, they can look you up, if they can't, then they can refer you to the appropriate department.

Hey guys, just a few questions:

-Do we need to send anything back for financial aid if we're accepting all of the loans/scholarships? It says to only send it back if we're not accepting or reducing the amounts.

-Has anyone received anything about on-campus housing? I sent my deposit and they cashed my check, but I haven't gotten anything about my housing assignment yet :(

-Lastly, this may sound really stupid, but MCPHS was sending mail to my school address and I could've sworn I indicated to stop sending the material there after May 1st, but I'm beginning to worry since I haven't gotten anything at my new address; who would I contact to confirm the change of address?

Thanks!

Sarabear, i already received my housing info...I think u might be my roommate? I can't remember but I received it awhile back so You should call alex on that.

anyone still looking for roomates (male) for apts off campus .... hit me upp.....

for those of you starting this fall, have you received anything in regards to orientation? i dont know if it got lost in the mail or if the school didnt send me anything...if you guys did receive anything, can you tell me when it is and anything else i should know? THANKS a bunch!!!

:)

anyone still looking for roomates (male) for apts off campus .... hit me upp.....

same goes for me and female roommates... i'm 22y/o and study hard, but also like to balance that with some fun. let me know.

for those of you starting this fall, have you received anything in regards to orientation? i dont know if it got lost in the mail or if the school didnt send me anything...if you guys did receive anything, can you tell me when it is and anything else i should know? THANKS a bunch!!!

:)

I haven't received anything either. The only thing I've gotten lately was the financial aid award package and I just got a letter about financing tuition through the school. Nothing about orientation, books, or anything else.

same goes for me and female roommates... i'm 22y/o and study hard, but also like to balance that with some fun. let me know.

i'm female looking for female roommate to live off campus
shoot me an email ASA

Last edited:
aren't we eligible to receive the Federal Stafford loans each year we apply for FAFSA???

A question for those at MCPHS Worcester already, how's the school's health insurance? Where do you go when you get sick? I know the Worcester campus doesn't have an on-campus clinic so I was wondering if there was anywhere nearby that most students go to. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for those at MCPHS Worcester already, how's the school's health insurance? Where do you go when you get sick? I know the Worcester campus doesn't have an on-campus clinic so I was wondering if there was anywhere nearby that most students go to. Thanks for your help!

hmm.. we have a hospital right across the street lol...

someone else can pitch in on the insurance, I'm not buying it thru the school...

I goto Fallon clinic whenever I'm sick. Theres tons of clinics/hospitals in the area.

hmm.. we have a hospital right across the street lol...

someone else can pitch in on the insurance, I'm not buying it thru the school...

Who would you suggest to get insurance in that area? How much do you pay a year for it?

Thanks!

M

I know this is for Worcester but I am hoping some Manchester people read this too, I am looking for a roomie for manchester, I'm 29 M, originally from Maine, fairly quiet and easy going and since I don't know anyone down there, I wont be having a ton of people showing up to party... Let me know if anyone is interested

hey everyone,

i posted this on the pre-pharm community but nobody has answered me :( i am looking into applying to mcphs worcester and i am wondering what kinds of GPAs do you all have? Right now i'm at a 3.23 and i know that mcphs-w doesn't look at PCAT scores which to me = high GPAs only. Is there anyone with a similar GPA to mine that got accepted? I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback from you guys, I really dont want to waste money applying there if my GPA is not good enough. Also, will having a bachelor's help me out at all? i will recieve that next april.

thanks! -suzi

hey everyone,

i posted this on the pre-pharm community but nobody has answered me :( i am looking into applying to mcphs worcester and i am wondering what kinds of GPAs do you all have? Right now i'm at a 3.23 and i know that mcphs-w doesn't look at PCAT scores which to me = high GPAs only. Is there anyone with a similar GPA to mine that got accepted? I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback from you guys, I really dont want to waste money applying there if my GPA is not good enough. Also, will having a bachelor's help me out at all? i will recieve that next april.

thanks! -suzi

bachelors would help, pharmacy experience DEFINITELY helps, extracurricular activities or work helps. anything that shows u are dedicated to the field (working in a pharmacy currently), or involved in community, knowing how to organize ur time.. and a bachelors.. definitely will beat over ur average GPA.

bachelors would help, pharmacy experience DEFINITELY helps, extracurricular activities or work helps. anything that shows u are dedicated to the field (working in a pharmacy currently), or involved in community, knowing how to organize ur time.. and a bachelors.. definitely will beat over ur average GPA.

thanks for your reply! i've worked at a pharmacy for a little over 2 years now, volunteer at a hospital, and i have a couple ec's from school..im active in a few orgs and such that i've held positions in including a pre-pharmacy org. and i will have my bachelors in april 2009. you dont think my gpa will bring me down? i have a friend that will be going to mcphs-w this fall and she said the ave is about a 3.7 because pcat isnt looked at and i feel like i might not have a chance with a 3.23 even with all the other stuff i listed...

thanks for your reply! i've worked at a pharmacy for a little over 2 years now, volunteer at a hospital, and i have a couple ec's from school..im active in a few orgs and such that i've held positions in including a pre-pharmacy org. and i will have my bachelors in april 2009. you dont think my gpa will bring me down? i have a friend that will be going to mcphs-w this fall and she said the ave is about a 3.7 because pcat isnt looked at and i feel like i might not have a chance with a 3.23 even with all the other stuff i listed...

well.. i see that you are very involved. your GPA is a little weak, but it's not the ONLY thing they look at. They also look at how well u organize your time, how involved you are and can still keep a pretty nice GPA...since this is a professional program w/ more mature students, they want to see that you are dedicated to ur profession (shown by ur experience) and also they want to know that you will succeed in this program, needing time management skills.

If your personal essay is well-written enough and can show those... I don't think u'll have a problem.

I would recommend u can also take the PTCB nat'l certification for pharm techs, which will prove furthermore ur dedication to the field, and u can also do voicemails/doctor calls, which will definitely help you in ANY school u go to... + u get paid more while waiting to get intern's rate lol...

well.. i see that you are very involved. your GPA is a little weak, but it's not the ONLY thing they look at. They also look at how well u organize your time, how involved you are and can still keep a pretty nice GPA...since this is a professional program w/ more mature students, they want to see that you are dedicated to ur profession (shown by ur experience) and also they want to know that you will succeed in this program, needing time management skills.

If your personal essay is well-written enough and can show those... I don't think u'll have a problem.

I would recommend u can also take the PTCB nat'l certification for pharm techs, which will prove furthermore ur dedication to the field, and u can also do voicemails/doctor calls, which will definitely help you in ANY school u go to... + u get paid more while waiting to get intern's rate lol...

haha...i forgot to mention i actually am certified with PTCB as of last summer...and i do frequently take voicemails and doctor calls at work. with the crap pharmacy chain i work for i got about a 40 cent raise for being certified..grrr :mad:

thank you for being sooo helpful. hopefully ill be able to raise me gpa a little by the end of summer. one more question for you...how will mcphs be able to see how well i organize my time?

haha...i forgot to mention i actually am certified with PTCB as of last summer...and i do frequently take voicemails and doctor calls at work. with the crap pharmacy chain i work for i got about a 40 cent raise for being certified..grrr :mad:

thank you for being sooo helpful. hopefully ill be able to raise me gpa a little by the end of summer. one more question for you...how will mcphs be able to see how well i organize my time?

o.. that's nice, 40 cents? hmm.. i guess u can always argue for more.. for the stuff that u do... lol...

since u have lots of EC activities/work and can also juggle school (full time?) then it shows them that u have good time management skills.. which u can emphasize on ur personal statement and interview.. i think someone who gets a 3.3 GPA and has lots of ec activities/work experience is better than someone with a 3.8 who stays in their room and hibernates, no experience or volunteering at all... most schools prefer a well-rounded student as opposed to someone who only studies day and night and are not involved at all

hey guys,

finally decided to get a roomate for a 2BR.
i am 22M easy to go along
live 2hr away from worcester so can go there and check apartments(going on thursday to check some more appartments)

PM me if interested.

hey are you all bringing cars to school?
do we need one or not? I'd love to hear your opinions because I am really undecided on what to do. How do you all plan to pay for gas and car insurance..with loans? If so, is it really that important?

any advice/comments greatly appreciated!

thanks! :D

hey are you all bringing cars to school?
do we need one or not? I'd love to hear your opinions because I am really undecided on what to do. How do you all plan to pay for gas and car insurance..with loans? If so, is it really that important?

any advice/comments greatly appreciated!

thanks! :D

u probably won't need it for fall (except grocery shopping) but you have service learning (volunteering) to do once a week, depending on where you go, it can go anywhere from 10 minutes walk to 2 miles driving... for spring, u have shadowing to do. Depending on where they send you (anywhere 50 miles radius around school, and I have friends who had to drive 45 minutes), u might need a car.

You won't need one for summer, then fall P2 u're going on intermediate rotations, same deal with shadowing.

Good luck!

thanks so much for clarifying! ;)

also, does anyone know where/how to obtain health insurance? I didnt even know it was possible to get it through the school, is getting it that way bad? what do you suggest? I know someone else asked but no one really clarified about this area...

any suggestions are very much appreciated!

thank you! :)

thanks so much for clarifying! ;)

also, does anyone know where/how to obtain health insurance? I didnt even know it was possible to get it through the school, is getting it that way bad? what do you suggest? I know someone else asked but no one really clarified about this area...

any suggestions are very much appreciated!

thank you! :)

I dont know how good/bad it is coz I don't get it thru the school, but I know that u automatically get billed for it UNLESS you fill out a health insurance waiver form if u have another form of insurance. You'll get the info via mail before the fall bill is due, if not, when u get ur bill, call financial aid.

u probably won't need it for fall (except grocery shopping) but you have service learning (volunteering) to do once a week, depending on where you go, it can go anywhere from 10 minutes walk to 2 miles driving... for spring, u have shadowing to do. Depending on where they send you (anywhere 50 miles radius around school, and I have friends who had to drive 45 minutes), u might need a car.

You won't need one for summer, then fall P2 u're going on intermediate rotations, same deal with shadowing.

Good luck!
do u know if they will give any preference to commuting students? (I will be driving 60 miles one way to school every day) I know they prob don't care but I was just wondering if maybe they gave us any options to choose from??

o.. that's nice, 40 cents? hmm.. i guess u can always argue for more.. for the stuff that u do... lol...

since u have lots of EC activities/work and can also juggle school (full time?) then it shows them that u have good time management skills.. which u can emphasize on ur personal statement and interview.. i think someone who gets a 3.3 GPA and has lots of ec activities/work experience is better than someone with a 3.8 who stays in their room and hibernates, no experience or volunteering at all... most schools prefer a well-rounded student as opposed to someone who only studies day and night and are not involved at all

ohh i see..well hopefully that's what they're looking for! thanks for all your help! :)

do u know if they will give any preference to commuting students? (I will be driving 60 miles one way to school every day) I know they prob don't care but I was just wondering if maybe they gave us any options to choose from??

they say that they will try to place you as close to your local address as possible.. true for some, not for others. There are so many resident students at school, they can't possible place all of them within walking distance before they'd have exhausted the available spots.. know what i mean.. so they say they try.. but it's all relative..

Does anyone know how long student have to be in MCPHS's program before they can apply for pharmacy intern license?? I am planning to do a few hours a month with the program I'm with but I need to apply for intern license. I know some schools require that you finish certain months of school before you could do that. How about MCPHS?

Does anyone know how long student have to be in MCPHS's program before they can apply for pharmacy intern license?? I am planning to do a few hours a month with the program I'm with but I need to apply for intern license. I know some schools require that you finish certain months of school before you could do that. How about MCPHS?

it depends on which state you plan to register in.

I know that some states, like texas, u can't register to be an intern until u finish spring semester, with NY, you can't register until you finish your summer semester. With massachusetts, u can register as soon as you start classes... so check with your state regulations.

it depends on which state you plan to register in.

I know that some states, like texas, u can't register to be an intern until u finish spring semester, with NY, you can't register until you finish your summer semester. With massachusetts, u can register as soon as you start classes... so check with your state regulations.

I will be applying for the license in Mass. Awsome!! thanks for that :)

For those living at 600 main. How much did you have to pay for the security deposit, about how much was utilities for 2 person (2 bedroom) and about how much for laundry/month per person? Rough numbers will be okay because I just want to estimate about how much will be required for spending...thanks

Is anyone here planning on working during pharm school? either the first year or any year at all? Im curious, I heard student don't usually have part-time jobs, but I was just wondering...:)

Also, for current MCPHS students, where do students usually go to the gym? I heard there's some kind of gym very close by...any suggestions? :cool:

Is anyone here planning on working during pharm school? either the first year or any year at all? Im curious, I heard student don't usually have part-time jobs, but I was just wondering...:)

Also, for current MCPHS students, where do students usually go to the gym? I heard there's some kind of gym very close by...any suggestions? :cool:

u get free membership to the gym in the hospital right across the street. It is pretty nice.. not too big, but enough for people in general.. u get free membership there with ur tuition, so make sure u sign up during orientation, they will have a time where u can sign up for clubs and organizations, gym, buy the school-approved calculator, buy school apparels, all those different things. make sure u bring ur checkbook!

600 Main street is 3 1/2 blocks from the school. The walk is 8-10 minutes. During the winter it wasn't that bad of a walk except for 1 day when all the sidewalks had ice on them (but classes were delayed that day).

Yes, everything is included except for electricity, cable, and extra parking if you have more than 1 car (aka if each roommate has one car the building only pays for parking for 1 car, to park in the garage its $85 per month). my electricity bill usually comes out to $60 per month which I split with my roommate. Cable also comes out to around $60 per month. There is a laundry machine on each floor. You have to contact Janet or anyone in the office to sign a lease (Office phone number 508-795-7651). I have pictures of every room in my apartment if you are interested give me your email address in a private message and ill send them to you. I am actually looking for a roommate myself for the Fall so if anyone is interested in that let me know.

Bancroft apartments are 1 block closer to school than 600 main street. Its probably a 4-7 minute walk. However, it is slightly expensive. Its probably because its right in front of the park and it has fewer apartments as compared to 600 Main. Both places are pretty economical.

Hi Fidodido...How much was the security deposit when you applied? Also were there any specials when you sign the papers? I am about to turn in the deposit but a little hesitant. They have a special now but I can't get full because I won't be moving in until Mid August. Do you know of any specials that might take place in August...hihihi
Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated...

Hey, I know you guys got your lists in the mail, im not sure what matches but here goes.........

FALL
Health Care
Intro to Public Health—2nd Edition (Schneider)è $45
Understanding Health Policy (Brodenheimer & Grumbach) è $20
Biochem
Principles of Biochemistry—4th Edition (Lehninger)è $30
Absolute, Ultimate Guide to: Principles of Biochem—Study Guide & Solutions Manual—4th Edition (Osgood & Ocorr)è $15 He took some test questions from this
IPC 1
Clinical Skills for Pharmacists—2nd Edition (Tietze)è $35

SPRING
Management & Outcomes Assess.
Principles of Pharmacoeconomics—3rd Edition (Bootman)è $10
Immunology. I
mmunobiology—6th Edition (Janeway)è $30
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
Applied Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics—5th Edition (Shargel) è$40

Hey, I know you guys got your lists in the mail, im not sure what matches but here goes.........

FALL
Health Care
Intro to Public Health—2nd Edition (Schneider)è $45
Understanding Health Policy (Brodenheimer & Grumbach) è $20
Biochem
Principles of Biochemistry—4th Edition (Lehninger)è $30
Absolute, Ultimate Guide to: Principles of Biochem—Study Guide & Solutions Manual—4th Edition (Osgood & Ocorr)è $15 He took some test questions from this
IPC 1
Clinical Skills for Pharmacists—2nd Edition (Tietze)è $35

SPRING
Management & Outcomes Assess.
Principles of Pharmacoeconomics—3rd Edition (Bootman)è $10
Immunology. I
mmunobiology—6th Edition (Janeway)è $30
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
Applied Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics—5th Edition (Shargel) è$40

Yea, I agree with John, the biochem study guide , even tho it is recommended, it is very helpful because it summarizes important points, has trivia questions, word puzzles.. and sample questions

Hello,

I was just wondering if the Stafford sub. and unsub. loans are not enough to cover your living expenses and tuition fully...what do people turn to if you are not planning to work throughout the school year? The GradPlus loan? Any suggestions would be helpful. What is an estimate of how much most students get annually through the Stafford loans?

Hello,

I was just wondering if the Stafford sub. and unsub. loans are not enough to cover your living expenses and tuition fully...what do people turn to if you are not planning to work throughout the school year? The GradPlus loan? Any suggestions would be helpful. What is an estimate of how much most students get annually through the Stafford loans?

You can check out the financial aid office website at www.mcphs.edu

I'm almost confident that they do have limits to how much you can borrow out of sub and unsub stafford loans. Keep in mind that your first year will be considered undergraduate, and only P2 and P3 are graduate years. Also, those who have already borrowed during undergrad, and for those who have grad degrees already and have borrowed some, I think that you are only allowed up to whatever the maximum total, even though it is less than what you are allotted for the year. I dont' know if I said it correctly..

If you have any other questions, you can always feel free to call Financial Aid office. His name is Lynn Berry and he's at 508 373 5633 or you can email him at [email protected].

I agree with greatdeals, it is my understand that no matter which type of loan you choose you cannnot borrow more than the Expected Cost of Attendence, or whatever it is called. That's something like $55,000. So if you got $40,000 from gov't loans you can only get an additional $15,000 elsewhere. By my calculations, this will not cover all of my living expenses (off-campus) and I hope to use my savings for the first year and hopefully a loan from my grandmother for the next two. I know not everyone has that option and I really have no idea how they are doing it.

If there is anything I am misunderstand or some loan secret I have overlooked, please let me know.

If anyone has the following I would be willing to buy them. I can drive up and pay cash anytime.

Pathophysiology:Concepts of Altered Health States 7th Ed

Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems 8th Ed

Martin's Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 5th Ed

Do you current students think that having the 4th Ed of biochem book is acceptable if they are requiring the 5th Ed? Or do you think I should go buy the 5th?

Thank you ;-)

If anyone has the following I would be willing to buy them. I can drive up and pay cash anytime.

Pathophysiology:Concepts of Altered Health States 7th Ed

Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems 8th Ed

Martin's Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 5th Ed

Do you current students think that having the 4th Ed of biochem book is acceptable if they are requiring the 5th Ed? Or do you think I should go buy the 5th?

Thank you ;-)

I think that for the biochem book, it is not that big of an issue. He does assign problems out of the book, but for practice, you can always go to the library to borrow them. Chances are the problems will be the same in a different order.

They require Martin's Physical pharmacy and pharm. sciences for u guys?? It wasn't required for us, so I doubt anyone has it, but you can always wait and see if anyone has that.

I do have the Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems 8th Ed and I'll match JDUmass's price, $40. Mine is mint, never writte in or anything. PM me if u want it. first come first served...

I also have the biochem book, hardcover, with the study guide (paperback), 4th ed for both, I'll sell them as a package for $50.

I also have the patho book, 7th ed, but I'm not sure if I want to sell it yet, we're still using it this semester, so you guys won't be able to get it from us before school starts anyway.

They require Martin's Physical pharmacy and pharm. sciences for u guys?? It wasn't required for us, so I doubt anyone has it, but you can always wait and see if anyone has that.

no, it's not required. just recommended. do you think it's worth it to buy it?

no, it's not required. just recommended. do you think it's worth it to buy it?

I am not sure, I've always gone by without it. I didn't even know it was part of the recommended list.. the library must have a copy if you ever needed it, maybe someone else who's used it can pitch in on that.

Hey, does anyone know anything about park plaza tower? that is at 507 main street. I'm thinking about renting an apartment there, but i was wondering if anyone has any kind of info about it?? thanks!

Hi guys,

My husband is going to help set up my apartment in Worcester during the last week of August and stay until September 1, Labor Day. He wants to fly out of Boston's Logan Airport later that evening.

We're looking for your suggestions on how he should go from Worcester to South Station and from South Station over to the airport. Either bus, rail, or subway is fine. Any idea which is faster, convenient, cheaper? I'm assuming the schedules will be operating on holiday schedule since it's Labor Day.

Anyone personally take the rail or bus from the Worcester station over to the airport? Please share your experience. My husband wants to book a flight in advance but has no idea what departure time to select because he doesn't know how long it will take to get from Worcester to the airport.

Thanks guys!