MCPHS Worcester/Manchester - Any Class Old & New

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutripharma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Many of the previous threads have dropped off. Just wanted to hear some opinions, tips, and perspectives from MCPHS worcester/manchester students. I'm sure others are looking as well.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had to scour the forums to find anything about MCPHS Worcester. I'm also attending in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi are you apart of their facebook page? I came here to get unfiltered advice.

I interviewed there last week and the students that gave me the tour didn't really care for the program. They said you pretty much sit in one room all day with a break for lunch and are constantly in class.

I interviewed there last week and the students that gave me the tour didn't really care for the program. They said you pretty much sit in one room all day with a break for lunch and are constantly in class.
Yeah, I'm finishing up the first semester as a P1 and it's definitely been like that. It is an accelerated program, so we have to fit 3 years worth of classes into 2 years.

Yeah, I'm finishing up the first semester as a P1 and it's definitely been like that. It is an accelerated program, so we have to fit 3 years worth of classes into 2 years.

What do guys do if you fail a class?

Someone had an interview in December at Worcester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do guys do if you fail a class?
I was told if you fail a class your p1 year, you are presented the opportunity to take it your p2 year. However, you can only fail one class. Apparently D counts as passing. I believe that's what happens. Personally, I never worried about the policy because I don't plan on failing. We definitely have had people not return for the spring semester though. Maybe 10% are already gone. They say more people will probably be gone before the beginning of p2 year.

I was told if you fail a class your p1 year, you are presented the opportunity to take it your p2 year. However, you can only fail one class. Apparently D counts as passing. I believe that's what happens. Personally, I never worried about the policy because I don't plan on failing. We definitely have had people not return for the spring semester though. Maybe 10% are already gone. They say more people will probably be gone before the beginning of p2 year.

D is passing? WOW.. says a lot about school!

Reactions: 1 user

MCPHS grad chiming in here.
Yeah, this is true. They accept D as passing grade and I've seen the trend of people being gone before spring semester of P1 year and more gone by P2 year. I can attest to this because I was one of those people gone by P2 year (struggled with pharmacotherapy and gone by the end of Fall semester of P2 year). The school does allow you to repeat the failed class the following year (which is what I did). With that being said, the teaching style of the school is more hands-off and independent study, which means that if you don't make an effort to read the chapters or add to your own study notes (in addition to class notes; this is less true for P1 year and more true for P2 year), then it's really easy to fall behind. My advise to current students is to work with each other (study groups, quiz each other, share study notes etc....) or if you prefer to work alone (not advised) then bring an audio recording device (ask for the professor's permission or read their syllabus, I believed most of our professors allowed this and stated it in the syllabus) to record lectures and relisten to it after class (while still fresh in your mind). I know when I attended they had video recordings, but ended up stopping it, so I don't know if that's still happening.

Let me know if you guys have any further questions about MCPHS Worcester and I'd be more than happy to answer. I may be a bit slow in answering since I'm currently studying for the CPJE (CA version of MPJE) which I have in a few days. Thanks!

MCPHS grad chiming in here.
Yeah, this is true. They accept D as passing grade and I've seen the trend of people being gone before spring semester of P1 year and more gone by P2 year. I can attest to this because I was one of those people gone by P2 year (struggled with pharmacotherapy and gone by the end of Fall semester of P2 year). The school does allow you to repeat the failed class the following year (which is what I did). With that being said, the teaching style of the school is more hands-off and independent study, which means that if you don't make an effort to read the chapters or add to your own study notes (in addition to class notes; this is less true for P1 year and more true for P2 year), then it's really easy to fall behind. My advise to current students is to work with each other (study groups, quiz each other, share study notes etc....) or if you prefer to work alone (not advised) then bring an audio recording device (ask for the professor's permission or read their syllabus, I believed most of our professors allowed this and stated it in the syllabus) to record lectures and relisten to it after class (while still fresh in your mind). I know when I attended they had video recordings, but ended up stopping it, so I don't know if that's still happening.

Let me know if you guys have any further questions about MCPHS Worcester and I'd be more than happy to answer. I may be a bit slow in answering since I'm currently studying for the CPJE (CA version of MPJE) which I have in a few days. Thanks!

Hello, I'm currently in a bundle, I have an offer from mcphs the 3 year program, and I have an offer from d'youville college of pharmacy, and I'm totally confused From this. The cost difference is 40k and I would like to really just know how hard is mcphs? Like how much did you study and how were you able to cope with the work load? Please let me know and thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm currently in a bundle, I have an offer from mcphs the 3 year program, and I have an offer from d'youville college of pharmacy, and I'm totally confused From this. The cost difference is 40k and I would like to really just know how hard is mcphs? Like how much did you study and how were you able to cope with the work load? Please let me know and thank you for your time.

I am struggling with the workload. Currently in P1 spring semester and wish I had taken the warning.

MCPHS Worcester Grad here

Do yourself a favor and go to the cheaper school. BS in biochem prior to enrolling. The first year is kind of like being a science major in undergrad so for those that majored in bio/chem or biochem it's really all just review and easier in my opinion than the classes you took in college. The next year moves quickly but it's really the same thing over and over again. Brand/generic, side effect profile, drug interactions, contraindications, mechanism of action, etc. for different disease states. I never went to class and crammed for every exam.

But all this is irrelevant. Because you should not even entertain the thought of going there. This is a no brainer. Go to the cheaper school, not that one whose Boston campus is on accreditation probation. In 2016, we had the lowest NAPLEX pass rate in the country. Our class had a NAPLEX/MPJE board review for grads that still couldn't pass in NOVEMBER. We graduated in MAY. Most were licensed in JUNE/JULY. So to put that in perspective, about 30% of your class will be unable to pass a basic competency exam 6 months after they graduate. Enough for the school to hold a formal review in an auditorium. Oh and I thought the NAPLEX was easier than the PCAT btw.

Also, Massachusetts is saturated. It will be a nightmare trying to find a job. I currently work about 8 states away. PM me, I could trash that school all day.

I am struggling with the workload. Currently in P1 spring semester and wish I had taken the warning.
It gets easier. I was as biochem major and so a lot of that stuff was review. Took two immuno classes in college too.

The trick with the P2 semester is just staying organized and breaking the material down to the base elements. Instead of taking extensive notes, make an excel spreadsheet with the categories I outlined above. Keep it simple, not too much detail. After you have that memorized, you can focus on the unique specifics of each drug.

I have an interview coming up at MCPHS Manchester, I was wondering how many students get interviewed and how many of those get accepted? Also what was the interview like?

I have an interview coming up at MCPHS Manchester, I was wondering how many students get interviewed and how many of those get accepted? Also what was the interview like?
Hi there! Did you get accepted into the program?I was planning to apply last month but decided to wait and apply as an early applicant.

Hi there! Did you get accepted into the program?I was planning to apply last month but decided to wait and apply as an early applicant.

Yes I did get accepted, and will be attending this fall. Good luck!!

Hi I interviewed at MCPHS Worcester on march 20th and I still haven’t got any acceptance/rejection. Anyone having the same experience?

I just got an interview invite, does anyone know the process and how it is??

I'm a Worcester graduate, 2018. What questions do you have for me?

Was it stressfull.with the accelerated program
It was extremely stressful due to the tight exam schedules. We didn't get much break between exams and each exam had so many topics that it was overwhelming sometimes to keep all the information straight.

It was extremely stressful due to the tight exam schedules. We didn't get much break between exams and each exam had so many topics that it was overwhelming sometimes to keep all the information straight.
Would you revommend the program

If you can handle test after test, yeah. Get done in 3 years and study for the NAPLEX off RxPrep should be plenty for you to pass if you're reasonably competent.

Hi there,
I hope you are doing well in the program. I have been selected for an interview at the Manchester campus. What kind of questions do they ask and how should I prepare for the interview and essay writing. Thanks.

Hi there,
I hope you are doing well in the program. I have been selected for an interview at the Manchester campus. What kind of questions do they ask and how should I prepare for the interview and essay writing. Thanks.
I won’t even let my worst enemy come to Mcphs Worcester or manchester PharmD program. I explained everything to one of my friends who was so desperate for an admission and she still insisted to come and now she is about to repeat P1 after being a student for one semester

I won’t even let my worst enemy come to Mcphs Worcester or manchester PharmD program. I explained everything to one of my friends who was so desperate for an admission and she still insisted to come and now she is about to repeat P1 after being a student for one semester
This is so accurate, no other way to describe it. Even la creme de la creme do not wish this on their worst enemy. Forget about the scholarships okay. They literally installed special locks on the doors and windows in one building..... SO PEOPLE CAN'T GET OUT AND JUMP!

OH FYI, you can't pass with a D anymore. So there's people who are being held back because of that. There is no remedial class offered in the next semester or how other schools do it, you have to wait an entire year to return. If they determine you didn't do well enough in other classes, they'll make you take them over as well. If you're on financial aid, LOL because you have to take 12 credits any way. Ugh, just don't do it. There are so many 3 year schools. Go there.