Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

My husband is going to help set up my apartment in Worcester during the last week of August and stay until September 1, Labor Day. He wants to fly out of Boston's Logan Airport later that evening.

We're looking for your suggestions on how he should go from Worcester to South Station and from South Station over to the airport. Either bus, rail, or subway is fine. Any idea which is faster, convenient, cheaper? I'm assuming the schedules will be operating on holiday schedule since it's Labor Day.

Anyone personally take the rail or bus from the Worcester station over to the airport? Please share your experience. My husband wants to book a flight in advance but has no idea what departure time to select because he doesn't know how long it will take to get from Worcester to the airport.

Thanks guys!

Check Peter Pan bus, i've heard that they run from Union Station in Worcester to Logan, directly. If it is true, then that would be the fastest, most direct way. If not, he can take the commuter rail from Union Station to South Station, then take the Silver Line Bus from South Station to Logan. He could also take the subway, but it would involve connecting subway lines and stuff.. might take him a bit. He can also take a cab from South Station to Logan, it's only a 10-15 minute drive there, so it shouldn't cost him that much if time is an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so guys, does anyone know anything about park plaza tower? the one at 507 main street. I need any kind of info about it?? thanks!

greatdeals,

Thanks for the info. I checked out Peter Pan bus and they're pretty good cost wise and schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am still in Boston but cant wait to move to worcester. I went to see some apartments and i liked one called sutton apartment. Its a little bit far away from school but in a quit area. If anybody nows something about the building or any info i would be thankful.

hi all.

does anyone here know if we have to do something (other than complete the online entrance counseling) in order to accept federal stafford loans that were given to us?

I have tried (like a million times) to contact the financial adviser, and left a message and emailed him, but I have not been successful and I am getting nervous that there is something I am missing.

Also, for those of you that got your tuition bill, (it says anticipated aid for the stafford loans, thats why I am wondering what I have to do to accept it), and it says that 2% of the loans are deducted. Therefore, we have to pay that 2%. Does anyone know when we have to do that? Will they send another bill?

One more question. Does anyone know how to apply for federal plus loans? Like if it was not offered to me in the financial aid letter, does that mean I am not qualified for it?

I would so appreciate any advice you all may give.

Thanks so much!
:D

hey,

i went to check that out..first its very expensive about $1200-1300 for 1 bedroom if you add everything up. apartment is alright compared to price

second i didnt like the location. you can see all kind of weird people hanging out near entrance..

also problems with elevator..you dont want to take stairs for 8th or 9th floor right?

thats what i saw..i dont know if you should go there and check it our or not

Ok so guys, does anyone know anything about park plaza tower? the one at 507 main street. I need any kind of info about it?? thanks!

hey all

does anyone know, that 4-7 min walk from the school to the bancroft apts, is that like a safe walk? i know its not too great at night alone, but is walking around during the day or late afternoon evening there okay? also, who are the majority of the residents in that building? is it mostly mcphs students?? :D

hi all.

just wondering, for those of you who live in apartments (bancroft or main or any others), what utilities are included in your bill? and which are not?
is it possible for some apartment buildings not to include the heat and water charges into your bill? like have you all heard of buildings asking for rent separately and then you have to pay for water, heat and electricity? (I thought all buildings pay for heat and water, at least that's been my experience in nyc).

Let me know what you all think.

Thank you!

hey all again hehe
have any of you read the reviews online for the bancroft commons apartments? they are terrible! i dont know what to even think!

has anyone actually lived there or knows anyone that does??

Hello!

Everyone have a good fourth of July? Well, I came back home to a tuition bill waiting for me! I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which lender to choose for the GradPlus loan. I know it's really up to you to research all that and choose but they all seemed to be the same according to that elmselect website. Soooo....i was wondering what you guys were doing~ :) Thanks for the help!

ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE MCPHS HEALTH INSURANCE

What is the deductible that has to be reached? I looked on the Bollinger website but I do not see it. Supposedly there was no deductible for the 2007-2008 policy?

hey everyone! just got the packet in the mail about service learning...should we stay away from any of the programs on the checklist???

hey everyone! just got the packet in the mail about service learning...should we stay away from any of the programs on the checklist???

it all depends on your preference. Dr Kearney reads all the site feedback from all the students the year previous, and he changes his sites according to those. I'm sure that the ones that are offered to you guys are good ones (don't quote me on that!)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm...i haven't received my service learning packet yet

do we get to choose our site?

**we have to use clickers for lecture??? oh boy....I got so annoyed with those clickers for undergrad....lol

hey babygirl,

where did u hear that we have to use clickers during lecture? man .... those ARE kinda annoying lol~ at my undergrad, they used those clickers to check attendance too~

hey babygirl,

where did u hear that we have to use clickers during lecture? man .... those ARE kinda annoying lol~ at my undergrad, they used those clickers to check attendance too~

hey

i can vouch for her. we just had a meeting today, and we have to buy them for our P2 year...

it all depends on your preference. Dr Kearney reads all the site feedback from all the students the year previous, and he changes his sites according to those. I'm sure that the ones that are offered to you guys are good ones (don't quote me on that!)

hi greatdeals! thanks for the response

are these a good opportunity to get involved in something we're interested in and/or related to healthcare (and push for the medical clinic sites)?

if I'm worried about having time for school, should I pick the least stressful one?

or is it just a fun opportunity to give community service, so anything should be fine?

diamond,

i received a form in the mail to purchase the clickers for $40.

just when I thought that I wouldn't have to see a clicker again, it comes right back...lol

This may be a really stupid question but what is a clicker lol?

ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE MCPHS HEALTH INSURANCE

What is the deductible that has to be reached? I looked on the Bollinger website but I do not see it. Supposedly there was no deductible for the 2007-2008 policy?
I just graduated, and I never had a deductible for pharmacy benefits. I'm not certain about the Dr. office deductible--I always went to the Family Health Center on Queens Street, and they are so screwed up over there I never got a bill!!

hi greatdeals! thanks for the response

are these a good opportunity to get involved in something we're interested in and/or related to healthcare (and push for the medical clinic sites)?

if I'm worried about having time for school, should I pick the least stressful one?

or is it just a fun opportunity to give community service, so anything should be fine?

Some students have benefited from working in the med clinics.. it all depends on your interests. It doesn't matter which one you're going to do since u're going to spend the same amount of hours there anyway, so might as well do something you enjoy.

Hey you guys,

when did you receive the service learning packets in the mail? I still have not received anything.

thanks.

you should be getting your service learning packet soon. maybe in a couple days

Hello,
I was wondering where should i do my Service Learning. Which place is the closest to school? Is it walking distance from school?
Which places are fun to go? Thank you

Hello,
I was wondering where should i do my Service Learning. Which place is the closest to school? Is it walking distance from school?
Which places are fun to go? Thank you

they are many places to go, people's interests and how much work they put into it will make it a fun environment. Taking those variables into consideration, I don't know what you think will be fun.

I had salvation army and it took me 10 minutes to walk to, that part of main street is not the best of the worcester area.. but it was fine. i made sure i went with another person, so we kept each other company. THere are many places you can walk to. The best is to google the places and get their address, then mapquest it to school and see how far it is.

hi all.

does anyone here know if we have to do something (other than complete the online entrance counseling) in order to accept federal stafford loans that were given to us?

Does anyone know exactly what completing the "online entrance counseling" for financial aid is? I asked them when I got my financial aid award letter forever ago, and they said that i would receive information about it in the summer, but I haven't gotten anything. I don't want to miss anything...

Is there some site I need to go to?

I am getting nervous...:confused:

Does anyone know exactly what completing the "online entrance counseling" for financial aid is? I asked them when I got my financial aid award letter forever ago, and they said that i would receive information about it in the summer, but I haven't gotten anything. I don't want to miss anything...

they should have sent you a financial aid booklet or a loan booklet describing the steps. the entrance loan counseling is just to go on the loan website and fill out a survey.. something like that. You can email the financial office if you are still not sure.

i believe if you go to the Loans section of the MCPHS website it is there.

try this link:
http://www.mcphs.edu/about_mcphs/offices_and_services/student_financial_services/loans.html

at the very bottom, there is an online entrance counseling & MPN link

Anyone applied for the grad plus loan yet? did you use the 3 recommended by the school? Which one or do you know of better ones???

Anyone applied for the grad plus loan yet? did you use the 3 recommended by the school? Which one or do you know of better ones???

I don't think you guys can apply for the gradplus loan yet during your 1st year because you are still considered undergraduate. You can call financial aid office to verify...

I don't think you guys can apply for the gradplus loan yet during your 1st year because you are still considered undergraduate. You can call financial aid office to verify...

So how or what did you apply for your 1st year Greatdeals? financial aid told me it was grad plus loan that needed to apply for, but I will double check

I was wondering if any P2s are selling their P1 Fall books????? Please let me know or message me :D

I was wondering if any P2s are selling their P1 Fall books????? Please let me know or message me :D

Many people would be wanting to sell their books, but you need to tell us which ones you want to buy from us. Editions changed on some of them and some of the books we don't have.

Our class used the 4th edition of the biochemistry book, you guys are required a new edition. If you don't mind the previous ed, then feel free to ask current students, if not, then you want to buy it yourself.

Hey guys, i have a couple friends who wanna sell their books, if you are interested in them, PM me

Healthcare:

Understanding health policy by Bodenheimer/Grumbach 4th ed paperback - $25
Introduction to Public Health by Schneider - 2nd ed - $45

Pharmaceutics:

Ansel's pharmaceutical dosage forms 8th ed paperback - $40

So how or what did you apply for your 1st year Greatdeals? financial aid told me it was grad plus loan that needed to apply for, but I will double check

I spoke to financial aid about a week ago. They told me the rules changed recently and that P1 is now considered graduate so the grad plus is available to us. I'd double check to be sure, but I'm planning on applying for GRADplus

I moved into 600 Main apartments (now Skymark towers) last month and I'm very happy here. Everything is very clean/new, the staff is helpful, and the rent is very reasonable...definitely a place to consider for people looking for apartments.

If anyone wants to buy the 4th edition of the Lehninger's biochemistry book, i can sell it for $25. PM me if you are interested...

I spoke to financial aid about a week ago. They told me the rules changed recently and that P1 is now considered graduate so the grad plus is available to us. I'd double check to be sure, but I'm planning on applying for GRADplus

Thanks fallingstar1717 for that. Did you get to ask them which gradplus is popular among students?

Thanks fallingstar1717 for that. Did you get to ask them which gradplus is popular among students?

I didn't actually. I'm assuming you mean lenders. I plan on picking from the list on mcphs website. I'm a bank of america customer so I'll probably just go with them...

Hi, anybody still have the order form for the packet of class notes, I lost mine. Can you please tell me where to mail the check? Thanks!:)

I did my MPN online stating I was an undergrad (since that is what financial aid told me about P1 year a few months ago). Does anyone know if we can go back in and change it to graduate... hence being able to get more in unsubsidized stafford loans?

Hey guys, a friend of mine is selling a mini-refrigerator that she used while living here in the dorms. Now, your next question might be, do I need one?

if you live in a 6-person apartment, I think that you definitely need one, unless you don't cook and eat out most of the time.

I lived in a 3-person and we had just enough room.. go figure!

Anyway, she's selling a Magic Chef Compact Refrigerator: 4.4cu
Used for 2 years, Black color --- she's selling it for $70.

Her name is Angela and her email is [email protected]

or you can PM me and I can talk to her.

Hi, anybody still have the order form for the packet of class notes, I lost mine. Can you please tell me where to mail the check? Thanks!:)

MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO: DON HODES MARKETING SERVICES

DON HODES MARKETING SERVICES
8 LEYTON RD.
WORCESTER, MA 01609
PHONE: 508-756-0077
EMAIL: [email protected]

Can anyone current students tell me what you normally do for lunch in a given day? Do classes go all day long? If so, do you bring a lunch, is there a place for storage?

Also, any idea when schedules for P1s will be announced?

Finally, can anyone tell me a good place to buy furniture (couch) out there?

Can anyone current students tell me what you normally do for lunch in a given day? Do classes go all day long? If so, do you bring a lunch, is there a place for storage?

Also, any idea when schedules for P1s will be announced?

Finally, can anyone tell me a good place to buy furniture (couch) out there?

are you going to live in the dorms? if so, every apt is provided a couch, if not 2.

You have 1 hour for lunch. If you live in the dorms, you go back up to your room. If you commute, they have 2 fridge in the basement and multiple microwave where people can heat up their food.

Schedules for P1s, I'm not sure, but the schedule wasn't too bad for Fall semester for us, so it should be about the same for you guys.

We're having our final week next week, so I think that every single current student will be MIA from SDN for awhile!!

later!

So I know you guys are busy with finals...but if you get a chance...any recommendations on where to get a bed/futon? Maybe some local places besides the Wal-marts, Targets?

Thank you!

:)

So I know you guys are busy with finals...but if you get a chance...any recommendations on where to get a bed/futon? Maybe some local places besides the Wal-marts, Targets?

Thank you!

:)

Ikea

What is everyone planning on wearing to the white coat ceremony?? -esp girls? I was thinking of wearing a plain white cotton dress. Anyone else planning on wearing dress?