Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do any of the current students, know where the good malls are close to worcester? Even if they are like up to 30-40 min away? I want to get an idea of where everything is!

Also, where does everyone usually go grocery shopping for food? Are there any good places within walking distance?

Thank you!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Question for current students...was Concepts in Medical Physiology a required book for Physiology for you guys? if so, what edition did u guys use?

Thanks@

What is everyone planning on wearing to the white coat ceremony?? -esp girls? I was thinking of wearing a plain white cotton dress. Anyone else planning on wearing dress?

I was wondering that, too. Does anyone know how formal it is? I'm not much of a dress person, so I was just going to wear slacks and a nice shirt or something. Should parents go? Siblings? Boyfriends? Is it a really big deal? Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wearing slacks and a shirt.

do any of the current students, know where the good malls are close to worcester? Even if they are like up to 30-40 min away? I want to get an idea of where everything is!

Also, where does everyone usually go grocery shopping for food? Are there any good places within walking distance?

Thank you!! :D

The Greendale Mall is pretty close to downtown... probably about 10-15 minutes away. It's pretty small though. A better choice is the Solomon Pond Mall in Marlborough, about 20-25 minutes away. It is way bigger and has much better stores.

It think there is a Big Y very close to where the school is, within walking distance. I am not actually going to MCPHS in Worcester (I'm going in Manchester) but I am pretty sure I remember that from when I did live in Worcester. There are also a lot of little bodega/convenience type stores everywhere.

And if you feel like splurging and going out to eat, the Sole Proprietor is one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever been to. Kind of fancy and pricy, but totally worth it! I still go back to Worcester occasionally to eat there.

Big Y is about 2 miles drive.. but there are other local supermarkets that are walkable distance.. there is a convenience store right downstairs in the building.. and there's cvs a block away.

The Greendale Mall is pretty close to downtown... probably about 10-15 minutes away. It's pretty small though. A better choice is the Solomon Pond Mall in Marlborough, about 20-25 minutes away. It is way bigger and has much better stores.

It think there is a Big Y very close to where the school is, within walking distance. I am not actually going to MCPHS in Worcester (I'm going in Manchester) but I am pretty sure I remember that from when I did live in Worcester. There are also a lot of little bodega/convenience type stores everywhere.

And if you feel like splurging and going out to eat, the Sole Proprietor is one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever been to. Kind of fancy and pricy, but totally worth it! I still go back to Worcester occasionally to eat there.

Question for current students...was Concepts in Medical Physiology a required book for Physiology for you guys? if so, what edition did u guys use?

Thanks@

yea, we use the 5th, it was required. ISBN 978-0781744898. It's weird, amazon says that it's the 1st edition.. but on our book list, it said it was the 5th.

Hey guys,

i have a few people who would like to sell their books.

Understanding Health Policy by Bodenheimer 4th ed.

I have 2 that are quite neatly highlighted. They can go for $17 each

I have another one that is only highlighted in 2 chapters, they'll sell that one for $20.

Other than highlights, they all look pretty new.

I also have Introduction to Public Health by Schneider 2nd edition
I have 2 of them and they both have a few highlights in 2 chapters or so. They will sell for $40 each.

If you are interested, PM me, and let me know which ones you want. They'll be available for pick up on the 27th when you guys come in for orientation.

Thanks!

Update:

I only have the $20 Bodenheimer left, if anyone is interested.

My friend is selling her Pathophysiology book by Porth. Only 1 chapter has been highlighted, the whole book looks new. She also has the study guide accompanying it, again, only 1 chapter has been filled out, and it's pencil.

She would like to sell the book for $60 and the SG for $10.

She will be on campus starting August 25th, so let me know if anyone wants it.

Thanks~

Hey guys,

i have a few people who would like to sell their books.

Understanding Health Policy by Bodenheimer 4th ed.

I have 2 that are quite neatly highlighted. They can go for $17 each

I have another one that is only highlighted in 2 chapters, they'll sell that one for $20.

Other than highlights, they all look pretty new.

I also have Introduction to Public Health by Schneider 2nd edition
I have 2 of them and they both have a few highlights in 2 chapters or so. They will sell for $40 each.

If you are interested, PM me, and let me know which ones you want. They'll be available for pick up on the 27th when you guys come in for orientation.

Thanks!

Kind of a random question for resident students: are the beds regular or extra long twin?

Kind of a random question for resident students: are the beds regular or extra long twin?

depending on which apartment u're moving in. Usually they are full size, sometimes they are twin but not extra long.

Sooo...any current students interested in selling there Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms book and Concepts in Medical Physiology book? I will buy! PM me please!

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To Current Students:

MCPHS has sent us a list of all required vs recommended books, from talking to current rphs most state that you really don't need to purchase all the required books since most of the info is in slides/notes/handouts and what not. Can we all piece together a list of what books we will definitely need to get for each of our classes for this upcoming fall...If a current upperclassman could chime in or if you know from discussions with an upperclassmen...Thanks in advance!!!

None of the required books are mandatory, depending on how well you want to excel in the class.

I'm assuming most of you guys want to do the best.

I would suggest, if you could only afford a couple books, go with the 2 from healthcare. She does test on some of the stuff from the book itself, although it's a couple questions per exam, but sometimes it's the tie-breaker!!

For pharmaceutics, you will most likely need it for the lab portion during spring as well, so might as well.

For physio, seifter is the main book used for physio 2 for your summer semester... i'd suggest you can get that one too.

For biochem, he assigns problems from the book that will be very similar to some of the questions on his exams, and he'll stress to you which problems you really should work on and make sure you know how to do them.

All those books are supplemental, for reference only. Healthcare might be the only one that is really needed. The others are for if you don't understand the material presented in class.

Be aware that the notes from professors are not always in full sentences, so if you miss something, or have a hard time understanding that subject matter, you might want to buy the books. You could always sell them back to the P1s next year :)

If any p1's are selling Martin's Physical -5th ed.
or
Ansel's Pharmaceutical-8th ed.

Please pm me.
Thanks

None of the required books are mandatory, depending on how well you want to excel in the class.

So the professors present everything that we will be tested on in lecture? I have always bought the books for classes so it makes me very nervous to not have the book at all.

Do they assign chapters to read out of the book or do you just browse through them as the spirit moves you? :) Or do they point out corresponding sections? I have actually already bought all the required books (half.com and amazon are great things!) but I'm curious about how the books are utilized. Thanks to anyone who can help!

so Im assuming everyone looked at the schedule of classes...
did anyone notice there are no labs? Does this mean we have no labs at all in the fall semester?? I was expecting some kind of lab.

Also, those sections for service learning, is that the time during which we will be at our respective sites, or is it the lectures in the school for service learning? Anyone have any ideas about this?

If any of the current students could answer, those exam blocks are the only times we will take exams? And how often are exams given? (approximately?)

:D one more thing...do we all take classes together during the fall semester?? every single class has over 100 students?! should be fun! ;):hardy:

Hey can anyone explain in detail what the dress code constitutes plz

So the professors present everything that we will be tested on in lecture? I have always bought the books for classes so it makes me very nervous to not have the book at all.

Do they assign chapters to read out of the book or do you just browse through them as the spirit moves you? :) Or do they point out corresponding sections? I have actually already bought all the required books (half.com and amazon are great things!) but I'm curious about how the books are utilized. Thanks to anyone who can help!

They do tell you which chapters their lectures correspond to, so you can refer to them if need be. Some professors assign chapters for you to read, whether you read them or not, it's up to you. People have succeeded without reading the chapters, but if u want more assurance, read them :)

Hey can anyone explain in detail what the dress code constitutes plz[/QUOTE

basically, dress somewhat professional... no shorts, skirts have to be longer than your lab coat, no flip flops. You will receive a dress code list in detail during orientation. Jeans are permitted.

Here are answers to some of the most common questions that I get again and again:

the Service learning portion of class is comprised of discussions and other things..it's a pass/fail class. Your actual volunteering hours will be scheduled outside of that time slot.

Class attendance is not mandatory except on some classes, they will tell you in the syllabus when you get them. However, some professors will grant extra credit if class attendance is very low that day (ie: before an exam)

Your exam block is there just if some professors wanted to give exams outside of class time (biochemistry...), most professors will have their exams during class time. It is written in your schedule so taht you don't schedule anything during those times, because if you were to have an exam during that time and you can't make it, it's obviously unexcused.

Thanks for clearing everything up!

yes thank u for the info!

Does anyone know when we find out what we were assigned to do during service learning?? :D

(how long is our lab coat?? does this mean knee length skirts are ok?!)

Has anyone received information about when we are allowed to move into on campus apartments?

when's everybody goin to worcester? if anyone wants to hang out before we start, PM me! it's not like i know anyone or how to get around! :) i'll be there on the 14th!

Has anyone received information about when we are allowed to move into on campus apartments?

aug. 27th.wednesday

Hey can any current P1s tell me what classes have labs in the fall semester for P1s and and also how long the labs are?

yes thank u for the info!

Does anyone know when we find out what we were assigned to do during service learning?? :D

(how long is our lab coat?? does this mean knee length skirts are ok?!)

They will tell you that week 1/week 2 of classes, depending on if you have to fill out a Cori check (if you do your volunteering at a highschool or elementary school or preschools) you might not start volunteering till week 3. They do recommend that you try to make up those missed days but Dr. Kearney is very understanding. If there is no way you can make them up then he might excuse you, but make sure you communicate with him.

The skirts have to be below the knee, doesn't matter if the lab coat covers it or not. The lab coat usually (if you got the right size) should end slightly below your waist. Girls in our classes weren't really following the dress code, near the end of the semester they made an announcement that if someone was not to follow the dress code starting in the fall, they wont be allowed in the building. So be careful :smuggrin:.

thank u so much, this is going to save me a lot of hassle during clothing shopping! :D

so who else is living at bancroft commons?

how about 600 main street? wen's everyone moving in? :)

i just moved to worcester -jeez this city seems so not exciting...:cool:

great deals, do yiou keep your dog in the dorms?

Can you guys believe we are starting in a week!!

great deals, do yiou keep your dog in the dorms?

haha.. i wish! no, actually i live around boston, so my dog stays with my parents :)

btw ,i'm selling the calculations book you guys need for $50, no writing, book is like new, let me know!

Could u please tell me which calculations book are u talking about?

haha.. i wish! no, actually i live around boston, so my dog stays with my parents :)

btw ,i'm selling the calculations book you guys need for $50, no writing, book is like new, let me know!

Are pets alllowed in dorms? I'm sure they're not, but I gave mine to someone and he can't take care of him anymore :(

Okay, so I'm kinda freaking out about this... maybe someone can give me words of wisdom or reassurance!

I applied for my student loans in mid July thru Sallie Mae using the site the MCPHS recommended. I was watching it for a few weeks, and after a while noticed that when I checked the status, it said that the loans were still being certified. I called Sallie Mae at the beginning of August, and they said "Oh, don't worry, your school decides on the certification date". I waited a week, and when they still weren't certified, called MCPHS. Of course, no one called me back until 4 days later, and after checking out my loan situation, they said something wasn't matching up in the system. They said they would fix it, but I'd have to wait a few days because the certification is an automatic weekly process.

Ok, so that was one week ago. Upon checking Sallie Mae, I've discovered it still says the same thing about my status. No one EVER picks up the phone at the MCPHS financial office, and no one has returned the message I left today! So frustrating (and disconcerting)!

Whew, that felt better just to get that off my chest. I'm worried because school starts this week, and I don't have eleven thousand dollars sitting around in case my loan doesn't come through. Is anyone else having this problem, or had it in the past? Help!

Thanks a lot. But is this book required or recommanded because I couldn't find it on my book list. Thank again for ur help.

Hey Audrey,

We received an email around a week or so ago saying they added the book to our required books due to a change in the curriculum where they will be teaching us calculations earlier. Greatdeals posted the right book. I just ordered it on amazon for a little bit more than she is offering it for (and that is the cheapest I could find). If you PM me your email I will forward it to you, or you may want to email Assistant Dean Shuli to make sure your correct email is on the list because we have received a few emails so far (class schedule, etc)

Hey thanks a lot Sammy, I think there is a problem with my email address because I did not receive any email so far from them, I will call them tomorrow to make sure they have my correct email address. I can't beleive everybody gets the classes schedule but me.

Could u also tell me if u have an idea of what they mean by compass testing on the second day of the orientation? Is it a kind of assessment test we should take that day? Thanks again for ur help.

Hey Audrey,

We received an email around a week or so ago saying they added the book to our required books due to a change in the curriculum where they will be teaching us calculations earlier. Greatdeals posted the right book. I just ordered it on amazon for a little bit more than she is offering it for (and that is the cheapest I could find). If you PM me your email I will forward it to you, or you may want to email Assistant Dean Shuli to make sure your correct email is on the list because we have received a few emails so far (class schedule, etc)

Hi everyone! My name is Caitlin and I'm going to be a P1 starting this year! I know it's a little late to join this considering we're starting orientation in 2 days. Is anyone living in Shrewsbury? I went to undergrad in Worcester and moved to Shrewsbury this summer in the Sheridan Apartments. I love it! They mentioned something about a free shuttle to the school so I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything else about it if they live around here. I think it's supposed to be the Sheridan Apartments and Imperial Village Apartments. Well anyway, I'm looking forward the meeting everyone on Thursday!

is it casual dress for orientation? we only need to dress up for the white coat cermony corret? i hope so! hahah its such a long day for the orientations.

anyone commuting from the boston area to orientation??

is it casual dress for orientation? we only need to dress up for the white coat cermony corret? i hope so! hahah its such a long day for the orientations.

anyone commuting from the boston area to orientation??

school dress-code for orientation, no flip flops.. and no shorts...

compass testing is just a simple test on the computer.. kind of like SAT, but MUCH easier.. TOEFL level.. kinda.. for those who are familiar with it.. nthg major...

Hi Caitlin,
Did you just get accepted from the waitlist?