Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you so much!
so we basically get all of august off??

Members don't see this ad.

thank you so much!
so we basically get all of august off??

pretty much (from 8/2 - 9/2 to be exact). :thumbup:
Also the first 8 weeks of Fall semester for P2s is rotations so technically actual coursework is only for 6 weeks in the Fall of P2 year. :thumbup::thumbup:

I just spoke with the housing director Alex, there are only about 40 beds left for P1s since number of students have decided to stay on campus. P1s will receive letters from him sometime this week. Confirmation letters for those actually getting a bed will be sent out after...so if you receive a letter this week...could mean you're wait-listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty much (from 8/2 - 9/2 to be exact). :thumbup:
Also the first 8 weeks of Fall semester for P2s is rotations so technically actual coursework is only for 6 weeks in the Fall of P2 year. :thumbup::thumbup:

Fidodio123 and Greatdeals, do you know of apartment sites where school shuttles pick up students to campus?

Fidodio123 and Greatdeals, do you know of apartment sites where school shuttles pick up students to campus?

Im sure where ever you end up living if its in the Worcester area one of the following buses will cross your path. Check this out:

http://www.therta.com/services_info.html

and

http://www.therta.com/schedule_map.html

If you click on Area 1 itll show you the school (foster street)

So depending on where you end up living you can figure out which ever bus to take. I hope that helps. If you end up living at Bancroft or 600 Main you wont need to take the bus.

Hey, can you P1's tell us anything else we might need to buy before the semester starts? Thanks

Hey, can you P1's tell us anything else we might need to buy before the semester starts? Thanks

You don't really need anything more than just the basics (binders, pencils, notebooks). Also, don't buy any high-tech calculators. You will have to buy the "university" calculator on one of the days of orientation. Its the only type of calculator that can be used throughout the program. They make everyone buy the same calculator so that when we are taking exams its easy to tell who is using the correct calculator and who is not. (In the past people have used calculators for cheating so this is done to prevent that).

The school will make you buy "facts and comparisons- loose leaf edition" for IPC when the semester starts. The applications to buy that will be provided (DONT BUY IT ON YOUR OWN, you get a huge discount through the school so don't worry about that right now). Facts and comparisons costs around $100 and the calculator is around $10-15 (I think).

OH BTW I just remembered to warn you guys that at the end of the second day of orientation you'll have a white coat ceremony (family members are allowed to come also). I did not know that when I started so my family wasn't able to make it to the ceremony. Oh and make sure you have some professional clothes with you when you move up to Woosta since you will have to dress professional for the white coat ceremony and maybe your service learning sites during the semester.

I was just wondering how far exactly is it from 600 Main Apts. to the school? I know the winter is really bad so I was wondering if walking was possible or not. Also, for 600 Main, everything is included except electricity is that right? What does the electricity bill usually come out to? Is there a laundry facility there? Who do I contact if I want to sign a lease? I don't think I will have time to actually go see the apt. before I go there so any help would be awesome and appreciated!!! :D

I was just wondering how far exactly is it from 600 Main Apts. to the school? I know the winter is really bad so I was wondering if walking was possible or not. Also, for 600 Main, everything is included except electricity is that right? What does the electricity bill usually come out to? Is there a laundry facility there? Who do I contact if I want to sign a lease? I don't think I will have time to actually go see the apt. before I go there so any help would be awesome and appreciated!!! :D

600 Main street is 3 1/2 blocks from the school. The walk is 8-10 minutes. During the winter it wasn't that bad of a walk except for 1 day when all the sidewalks had ice on them (but classes were delayed that day).

Yes, everything is included except for electricity, cable, and extra parking if you have more than 1 car (aka if each roommate has one car the building only pays for parking for 1 car, to park in the garage its $85 per month). my electricity bill usually comes out to $60 per month which I split with my roommate. Cable also comes out to around $60 per month. There is a laundry machine on each floor. You have to contact Janet or anyone in the office to sign a lease (Office phone number 508-795-7651). I have pictures of every room in my apartment if you are interested give me your email address in a private message and ill send them to you. I am actually looking for a roommate myself for the Fall so if anyone is interested in that let me know.

Bancroft apartments are 1 block closer to school than 600 main street. Its probably a 4-7 minute walk. However, it is slightly expensive. Its probably because its right in front of the park and it has fewer apartments as compared to 600 Main. Both places are pretty economical.

You don't really need anything more than just the basics (binders, pencils, notebooks). Also, don't buy any high-tech calculators. You will have to buy the "university" calculator on one of the days of orientation. Its the only type of calculator that can be used throughout the program. They make everyone buy the same calculator so that when we are taking exams its easy to tell who is not using the correct calculator and who is not. (In the past people have used calculators for cheating so this is done to prevent that).

The school will make you buy "facts and comparisons- loose leaf edition" for IPC when the semester starts. The applications to buy that will be provided (DONT BUY IT ON YOUR OWN, you get a huge discount through the school so don't worry about that right now). Facts and comparisons costs around $100 and the calculator is around $10-15 (I think).

OH BTW I just remembered to warn you guys that at the end of the second day of orientation you'll have a white coat ceremony (family members are allowed to come also). I did not know that when I started so my family wasn't able to make it to the ceremony. Oh and make sure you have some professional clothes with you when you move up to Woosta since you will have to dress professional for the white coat ceremony and maybe your service learning sites during the semester.

Thanks for all the info!
They don't tell you in advance about the white coat ceremony?? Do many people have family members there? Would you tell us a little about it?

600 Main street is 3 1/2 blocks from the school. The walk is 8-10 minutes. During the winter it wasn't that bad of a walk except for 1 day when all the sidewalks had ice on them (but classes were delayed that day).

Yes, everything is included except for electricity, cable, and extra parking if you have more than 1 car (aka if each roommate has one car the building only pays for parking for 1 car, to park in the garage its $85 per month). my electricity bill usually comes out to $60 per month which I split with my roommate. Cable also comes out to around $60 per month. There is a laundry machine on each floor. You have to contact Janet or anyone in the office to sign a lease (Office phone number 508-795-7651). I have pictures of every room in my apartment if you are interested give me your email address in a private message and ill send them to you. I am actually looking for a roommate myself for the Fall so if anyone is interested in that let me know.

Bancroft apartments are 1 block closer to school than 600 main street. Its probably a 4-7 minute walk. However, it is slightly expensive. Its probably because its right in front of the park and it has fewer apartments as compared to 600 Main. Both places are pretty economical.

Which route is more safe; from campus to Bancoft or campus to 600 Main??

Do you have any recommendations for any safe places to leave near campus?
:D

Which route is more safe; from campus to Bancoft or campus to 600 Main??

Do you have any recommendations for any safe places to leave near campus?
:D

They are both pretty safe. The short route from Bancroft to the school is through a park thats right in front of the apartments. 600 main is right on main street, which is usually busy with lots of cars and people. In my opinion, walking through park in front of Bancroft at night time is probably not a good idea. During the day there is nothing to worry about in both places. If you map quest both locations you will notice that they are pretty much in the same area.

I think the only reason why these two places come up in conversation so much is because they are within walking distance to school and are comparatively cheap. But theres tons of places to live around in Worcester if you are willing to drive. Shrewsbury is a nice area, places down on Chandler street and Elm street are nice. You just have to figure out what your priorities are and then look for a place that best suits you. My priority was being able to walk to school in the morning. I'm 22 so living in a fancy apartment is not one of my priorities. Since the average age of our class is 27 people might want to live in nicer houses. So the living decision is a very personal thing. A place suitable for me is probably not as suitable for you (ya know?).

To be honest Worcester isn't any different than any other city. In the past 10 months I haven't gone through anything "unsafe". Probably the only thing that was weird to me was the same homeless person asking for a nickel every time I walked by but he eventually stopped because I kept walking and minded my own business.

I even goto school at nighttime and walk alone nothing has ever happened to me (Thank God). However, you should try to walk in a group or with a roommate or something especially for girls (but thats true for any city).

I'm not trying to scare anyone but recently cars were getting broken into in parking garages (in the worcester area, not just around MCPHS) because they had their GPS's on display. So even a place as "safe" as a parking garage can be "unsafe" if you don't take the right precautions.

Thanks for all the info!
They don't tell you in advance about the white coat ceremony?? Do many people have family members there? Would you tell us a little about it?

As far as I can remember they didn't really tell us too much about the white coat ceremony. I don't know if someone forgot to mention it to us in advance or if they do that on purpose so that too many family members don't show up or maybe I just wasn't paying attention??. We got an email on the first day of orientation saying "make sure you dress professional for the white coat ceremony" and i was like WHAT CEREMONY?

There are two days of orientation. The first day is LONGGGG i think it goes from around 7 30 - 5. The second day of orientation is about the same but its broken up into blocks. After all the torture ends you will have about 2-3 hours to get ready because they have to drive down all the students from Manchester to Worcester for the ceremony. The ceremony is exactly what it sounds like, they call your name you get your white coat. A lot of people did have their family members at the event.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i just got a reply from housing and said all the rooms are filled ahhhhhhhhhhhhh and i'm waitlisted. does anyone know the chances that spots will become vacant during the summer??

if not, any females looking for a roomie?? =D

so i just got a reply from housing and said all the rooms are filled ahhhhhhhhhhhhh and i'm waitlisted. does anyone know the chances that spots will become vacant during the summer??

I was wait listed also last year, I was #3 or #5 (i dont remember) on the list. I had to live off campus obviously. People who sign up for housing are probably not going to leave for off campus housing so If you are on the waiting list theres a big chance you might not get on campus housing. However, things do change so don't completely rule that option out.

I don't know if this has been asked before but what is the name and how far away are the nearest supermarket, mall/shopping center, movie theater, etc. from the school? Where do most people buy stuff for their apartment like a bed, etc.? Is there a Wal-mart or something equivalent near by?

Thanks fididido for all the info...Are you going to live on campus this coming school yr?

I haven't received a dorm confirmation yet but I called, and Alex said I got 8th floor,6 bedroom. Which was not exactly my first choice, but I'm glad I won't be living off campus, b/c I don't know how to use a sled.

Do they give the booklist at orientation, and will there be enough time to order the books online at a cheaper rate, or we would have to buy it from the bookstore?

for the financial aid, is there anything that we need to do with the loans?

like for my undergrad, if we borrowed loans, we had to do an electronic signature of accepting the amount we are taking or paper form........i'm sure we have to do the same for MCPHS.........but i didnt' receive any other information about it

American Desi,

when did you turn in your housing application?

I don't know if this has been asked before but what is the name and how far away are the nearest supermarket, mall/shopping center, movie theater, etc. from the school? Where do most people buy stuff for their apartment like a bed, etc.? Is there a Wal-mart or something equivalent near by?

Theres tons of supermarkets on shrewsbury street/route 9/shrewsbury area
price chopper, shaws, super stop and shop. That street also has lots of restaurants, fast food places.
On lincoln street theres super stop and shop, target, staples, and many more.
In milbury theres a target, clothing stores (gap, american eagle), (best buy?? i think), and many other restaurants.
Auburn has an actual mall with clothing stores (HOLLISTER!!!) etc.
On (i forget the name of the town exit 4 on 290) theres a movie theatre, a tiny walmart, and much more. Youll really just have to mapquest whatever you are looking for and go to the place closest to you.

Thanks fididido for all the info...Are you going to live on campus this coming school yr?

I haven't received a dorm confirmation yet but I called, and Alex said I got 8th floor,6 bedroom. Which was not exactly my first choice, but I'm glad I won't be living off campus, b/c I don't know how to use a sled.

Do they give the booklist at orientation, and will there be enough time to order the books online at a cheaper rate, or we would have to buy it from the bookstore?

I will be living Off campus. They do send you a book list with all your service learning paperwork sometime before the semester starts. Probably like a month or two months in advance. Theres more than enough time to buy the books online. I bought all my books online but I know some people got them at barnes and noble because they get a better discount for being a member.

Fidodido123, is your screenname in reference to the 7UP animated character?

like for my undergrad, if we borrowed loans, we had to do an electronic signature of accepting the amount we are taking or paper form........i'm sure we have to do the same for MCPHS.........but i didnt' receive any other information about it

Yea you do get that paperwork at some point during the semester. Call the financial aid office since the borrowing and loans are different for everyone. The official financial aid website is as follows:

http://www.e-fao.com/efao_site.html?OEID=002165&ViewID={19422034-4DEE-43E6-88D3-8C933004FC4D}

I didn't get housing either and I'm kind of worried! I've never lived on my own and I don't know the area very well. Does anyone know if there is a network of MCPHS students looking for roomates?

What is the most invasive thing we must learn as far as direct patient care in this program? I know some programs train you to do finger sticks for blood sugar, etc. Do we have to learn to give vaccines?

Hi All,
I just found out that I did not get housing and I'm looking to find an apartment at 600 bancroft or on Elm Street. Is anyone looking for a roomate or would wanna room that is starting in the Fall? I am a 21 year old female who studies a lot but also has a social life. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email at [email protected] asap!

Farah

I'm getting a new laptop and was wondering if you guys would recommend me getting tablet or just a normal laptop.

Are the lectures on powerpoint slides? if so does the school offer free printing or do we have to pay to print?

anyone got their housing assignment yet?

I'm still waiting for mine

What is the most invasive thing we must learn as far as direct patient care in this program? I know some programs train you to do finger sticks for blood sugar, etc. Do we have to learn to give vaccines?

Physical assesment can get pretty "invasive", palpating patients etc. It starts in the fall of P2 year and continues till the spring. You definitely have to learn how to stick fingers and im pretty sure at some point we have to get certified to give vaccinations (I dont know exactly when or if its an optional thing).

This year some P1 students (including me) who participated in the Health Fair organized by APhA were trained to take blood sugars.

I'm getting a new laptop and was wondering if you guys would recommend me getting tablet or just a normal laptop.

Are the lectures on powerpoint slides? if so does the school offer free printing or do we have to pay to print?

There's really no need for a laptop (or a high-tech laptop) unless you feel like its easier for you to record lectures and take notes on it. The lectures are printed out by a private company and given to us as a course packet for most classes (I dont know if you guys got the course packet order forms yet). Some professors do provide powerpoint slides but they usually dont have the images (copyright issues). Its very convenient to have a course packet instead of printing out lectures every week (usually there are long lines at the printer it can take over 30 minutes to get 1 page)

Certain classes that have a different person lecturing every week provide powerpoint slides a week or two before the actual lecture. the school does offer "free" printing. I think there is a limit of 1000 pages per semester which isnt enforced but they do limit you if you print out a tree per day AKA misuse the printers.

I didn't get housing either and I'm kind of worried! I've never lived on my own and I don't know the area very well. Does anyone know if there is a network of MCPHS students looking for roomates?

Theres really no network for mcphs students looking for roommates. This is probably the best place to find a roommate who is in your class. I actually found my roommate on this forum last year. Try talking to the housing people and see if they know of any other students also in the same position as you. Otherwise, you are pretty much on your own to look for a roommate and find a place to live. I was in the same situation as you last year so don't worry just read the earlier posts and see if one of the places discussed is right for you. Good luck. :luck:

BTW tomorrow is the last day I will be checking the forum regularly since school starts on monday (Im sure greatdeals will be back to answering questions regularly). However, If anyone has specific questions send me a private message that way I get an email and know theres questions waiting for me. Otherwise, good luck to everyone :thumbup: and ill see you all in the fall (probably at your orientation :hardy:).

Awww, Fidodido123 is so nice to help you guys out, lol. He's my roommate by the way. Yea everything he has said so far is pretty on point. Just my opinion but if you have a choice between Bancroft and 600 Main I would go with 600 Main. It's cheaper, only an extra 2 minute walk, and you can avoid the park at night. I've walked home from school at 10-11 at night with no issues whatsoever.

Laptops aren't required. I use one though. I'm sort of a techie and I have a short attention span so I use a tablet pc. It helps in terms of listening to audio if you record while writing on the screen. I just scan all the packets into the computer and then I'm set. But you have to do whatever works for you.

Hey guys!! i'm back!! sorry for being MIA for almost 2 weeks.. I took a long, deserved vacation... it's weird, i was checking my emails every couple days, but SDN never sent me an email saying that there was any new updates to the thread... (never rely on auto-subscription!! :p)

anyways, i'm sure you guys got all ur Qs answered by Fidodido123, it took me a good few minutes to read over whatever I missed during my absence...

For the housing waiting list, I guess the only chance that you get for getting off the waiting list is if any P1 or P2 fail this summer, thus being out-of-sequence, so they might actually leave worcester for a year and resume next summer.

Last year the P1s had more rooms available but it's less this year because of the new PA program, and also because for advanced rotations during P3, there is 1 more required rotation (aka less time away from worcester), and now they limit us to only 1 rotation out of state instead of 2, so many future P3s are deciding to stay on-campus coz it's really not worth it to leave....

anyways, I suggest that you get familiar with the services available that the school provides before you start classes, services such as the academic support for students with any need academically (you don't have to have ADHD to go to academic support!!), and also we have health services aka counseling services, and you don't have to be a nutcase to go see her either... you can explore all of those on our mcphs website. It is nice to know what is available before you start classes so if you ever need them, u know where to go.. + you already paid for those out of your tuition.. so why not!

anyways, classes are starting for fidodido and I, as well as any MCPHS students on monday.. summer will be busier than spring for us.. so apologies in advance!

enjoy your summers guys!

thanks guys/girls for all your help. is there anything productive we can do over the summer to prepare? like learn the top 200? I know everyone days to relax and enjoy but I can study at work when I'm bored, so is anything worthwhile?

thanks guys/girls for all your help. is there anything productive we can do over the summer to prepare? like learn the top 200? I know everyone days to relax and enjoy but I can study at work when I'm bored, so is anything worthwhile?

top 200 definitely help
you can familiarize yourself with brand/generic/indications or if you want, you can always brush up on pharmacy law, you can find those on the mass board of pharmacy website.

anyone got their housing assignment yet?

I'm still waiting for mine

i got mine....8th floor 6 bedroom... I was hopinf for a 4 bedroom apt but U guess it better than living off campus u knp

top 200 definitely help
you can familiarize yourself with brand/generic/indications or if you want, you can always brush up on pharmacy law, you can find those on the mass board of pharmacy website.

Hey guys
My roommate amartins02 has a blog which has a link to the top 200 drugs.

im not sure what editions you guys need for next year but im looking to get rid of some of mine.......i have biochem 1 and 2 (same book), health care (both books), physio i will be done with in the summer, IPC 1 (pointless), management, immunology (she will probably ask you to buy the 7th edition, i have the 6th), and pharmacokinetics.

ill let them all go for like $165. message me if you are interested.

John

yea, i recommend you guys to check with us before you buy any books, we probably have a ton of them that we saved especially for you guys :D

even if it's not as such a great deal that John proposes them, it'll definitely be cheaper than wat amazon or half.com offers... and you save on shipping time and have peace of mind that they'll be available when you come in!

I personally have the IPC book, which is good for those never having worked in a pharmacy before, a good background intro of different areas, I have the biochem textbook as well as the study guide (both that you use for 2 semesters), I have all the physio books that she assigns (1 required, 2 recommended), I have pharmaceutics book... and others!

I also have all the required books (you do not need any of the recommended ones) and was going to sell them on Amazon but if anyone wants to buy them from here let me know. I am pretty sure that you will be using the same books that we did for both fall and spring semesters. All look brand new for some reason (I sware I did study) and have no writing or highlighting in them. I have:

FALL:
IPC I – clincal skills for pharmacists
Biochem I – lehninger principles of biochem
Health Care – (2 books) intro to public health care and understanding health policy
Physio I – (I am using that book for summer right now but can give it to you after when you get here if you want it)

and as for the other classes…
Pharmaceutics I - NONE
Pharmacy Law - NONE
Service Learning – (you just need the journal you order with the course packets)

SPRING:
Management – principles of pharmacoeconomics
Pharmacutics II – pharmaceutical calculations
Pharmacokinetics – applied biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics
Immuno – immunobiology (6th ed. which her info was from but her figures were from the 7th edition so im not exactly sure which edition you will use… or if it matters)

IPC II – NONE
Drug lit – NONE
Biochem II – (same book as fall)

Send me a message if your interested

Ryan

I also have all the required books (you do not need any of the recommended ones) and was going to sell them on Amazon but if anyone wants to buy them from here let me know. I am pretty sure that you will be using the same books that we did for both fall and spring semesters. All look brand new for some reason (I sware I did study) and have no writing or highlighting in them. I have:

FALL:
IPC I – clincal skills for pharmacists
Biochem I – lehninger principles of biochem
Health Care – (2 books) intro to public health care and understanding health policy
Physio I – (I am using that book for summer right now but can give it to you after when you get here if you want it)

Pharmaceutics I - NONE
Pharmacy Law - NONE
Service Learning – (you just need the journal you order with the course packets)

SPRING:
Management – principles of pharmacoeconomics
Pharmacutics II – pharmaceutical calculations
Pharmacokinetics – applied biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics
Immuno – immunobiology (6th ed. which her info was from but her figures were from the 7th edition so im not exactly sure which edition you will use… or if it matters)

IPC II – NONE
Drug lit – NONE
Biochem II – (same book as fall)

Send me a message if your interested

Ryan

I wanted to suggest that for those of you who rely more on books, the Physiology's recommended books are a good thing to have. Dr Goldsmith and Sharma whom will be teaching Physiology I base their lectures mostly on the Sherwood book (recommended) and less on the Seifter one (which is required).

Hey Pharmax...
I'm considering living in 600 main apartments. Still debating whether I should have a roomie since the rent is more than i want to spend. Are you still looking for a female roomie? Where are you thinking of?:p

Greatdeals...or anyone who knows...

is having a pda necessary right now bc pharmacists I work with recommend that i have one for school. If so, do you recommend getting the phone with pda or just pda alone? Also, what is the software that the school uses for pda...

hihihi thanks :luck:

Greatdeals...or anyone who knows...

is having a pda necessary right now bc pharmacists I work with recommend that i have one for school. If so, do you recommend getting the phone with pda or just pda alone? Also, what is the software that the school uses for pda...

hihihi thanks :luck:

you will not need it until P3 year, the classes that we have in which you will need to look up drugs and such want you to use Facts & Comparisons, and prohibit PDAs into the lab, so no point in getting them now.. + they will be cheaper 2 years from now...IMO i wouldn't get a PDA phone because phones usually don't last you that long, you wouldn't want to change PDAs as often as u change ur phone, right?

luomli - email me! my email addy is [email protected]

Me and FEK19 have been discussing. 600 Main street sounds good. I definitely want somewhere close to school.

I have recently spoken to a couple of P1s who are thinking about moving off campus (since its cheaper) in the fall. So to the people on the waiting list, keep your fingers crossed there is still hope!!!.