***Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are four stations. The interview is open-file, so they have all of your application information. I found that each station seemed to focus on a specific section of your application. One station focused on my recommendations, personal statement, and other skills. On focused more on my credentials, like shadowing, community service, DAT and such. One seemed to focus more on actually getting to know me based on my undergraduate experiences. The last one was kind of a mixed bag. The tone honestly depends on who is doing the interviewing. Three of the four people who interviewed me seemed really nice and personable, one seemed very cold and almost threatening. This can change, since I interviewed during the last cycle, but that is what I found at my last Marquette interview.

WOW thanks so much for that useful information! Are the MMI's one on one or in a group? My understanding was that they were in a group but your description makes it sound like they're one on one?
Also any advice on how to prepare other than knowing your application front and back?:)

Members don't see this ad.

This was one of the more organized interviews I've had so far. If your interview is coming up, I would not worry about it. Very laid back and impressive school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
WOW thanks so much for that useful information! Are the MMI's one on one or in a group? My understanding was that they were in a group but your description makes it sound like they're one on one?
Also any advice on how to prepare other than knowing your application front and back?:)
It was between one or two people at each station. Only one of my stations had two people, the others were all one-on-one.

I would recommend my post at the beginning of this forum regarding interview tips. It has some helpful tips. I also have a number of lengthy posts throughout the thread that are also meant to assist those who are new to the whole process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview today!

Undergrad: Marquette :)
GPA: 3.5
DAT: 21 AA

Interview #4
School: Marquette
GPA (science, overall): 3.96, 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 22/21/21/22 (none below 19: QR)

Ayyy shoutout to the Golden Eagle pride I see :horns:

Did any of you had your interviews yet? if so, did they give you an "extra hard time" because you went to MU?

I would recommend my post at the beginning of this forum regarding interview tips. It has some helpful tips. I also have a number of lengthy posts throughout the thread that are also meant to assist those who are new to the whole process.

You mention in your first posts that "Research goes a long way". However you also mention talked about MU's MMI structure:

One station focused on my recommendations, personal statement, and other skills. On focused more on my credentials, like shadowing, community service, DAT and such. One seemed to focus more on actually getting to know me based on my undergraduate experiences. The last one was kind of a mixed bag.

Will questions about "how you fit at MU and why MU" go into 4th "mixed bag" interview? Or does MU not really focus on you researching their school and rather focus on you elaborating on your credentials and experiences?

Ayyy shoutout to the Golden Eagle pride I see :horns:

Did any of you had your interviews yet? if so, did they give you an "extra hard time" because you went to MU?
I'm interviewing at Marquette this upcoming Monday. I don't expect a hard time being an MU alum, I thought it would only help lol.

You mention in your first posts that "Research goes a long way". However you also mention talked about MU's MMI structure:

Will questions about "how you fit at MU and why MU" go into 4th "mixed bag" interview? Or does MU not really focus on you researching their school and rather focus on you elaborating on your credentials and experiences?
I did get asked why I was so interested in Marquette. This is why the research comes in handy. Luckily I applied to very few schools during both cycles so it looked more like I was only interested in a select few schools (also less room to confuse the programs at each school up). The mixed bag station at my interview last cycle also asked if I'm aware I will be about a quarter of a million of dollars in debt upon finishing dental school and if I know how I will pay for that. In addition, they asked how I would be able to handle the workload of dental school. I found that station to be the hardest. AGAIN that was last cycle, and they may not have the same interviewers.

Hi there :)
I've got an interview coming up soon, and I was wondering.... Can the admissions committee/interviewers view which schools you have applied to with this whole new AADSAS system?
I've been browsing these forums for like 5 years now but haven't made an account til now, so hello everyone :)

Hi there :)
I've got an interview coming up soon, and I was wondering.... Can the admissions committee/interviewers view which schools you have applied to with this whole new AADSAS system?
I've been browsing these forums for like 5 years now but haven't made an account til now, so hello everyone :)
I'm not sure if they can view all the schools you applied to. I know they asked me during mine how many schools I applied to.

I'm not sure if they can view all the schools you applied to. I know they asked me during mine how many schools I applied to.

After a certain date they can see what schools you put a deposit down on - I don’t think they know where else you applied.

Thanks for the replies everyone :) So it seems they can only see where you put down a deposit, but if haven't done so then they can't know your other schools?
Hope everyone's having a nice week!

Thanks for the replies everyone :) So it seems they can only see where you put down a deposit, but if haven't done so then they can't know your other schools?
Hope everyone's having a nice week!
you have to have a good reason of why you applied to schools you did, that's all it comes down to.

Best of luck to those interviewing on October 16th! My apologies for now wishing everyone who interviewed on the previous dates good luck. Interview season has had me travelling around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if MU is done with pre-dec. interviews? Kinda bummed I didn't get one, but only time will tell!

a quick question, is marquette doing closed file or open file during interview?

Any clue when they start up again?

Pretty sure they "fill" there class prior to December 1st, then they give out interviews to those that go elsewhere. So the rest of their interviews will go out after December 1st.

Pretty sure they "fill" there class prior to December 1st, then they give out interviews to those that go elsewhere. So the rest of their interviews will go out after December 1st.
During my interview, Brian said they are interviewing about 350 people pre-December. Ideally, they wouldn't send out anymore invites after December 1st. They apparently would like to fill the class with those who interviewed before December, since they would have 250 OOS and about 100 in-state interviews. However, this is merely an ideal scenario. They apparently send out more than 100 offers on December 1st because they expect that the people they liked were liked by other schools. They do not do December interviews. They made it sound like they send out additional interviews only if they exhaust all their ideal choices from the pre-December pool. Given that they were still doing interviews into February this past cycle, that may speak volumes about how the initial interviews went.

During my interview, Brian said they are interviewing about 350 people pre-December. Ideally, they wouldn't send out anymore invites after December 1st. They apparently would like to fill the class with those who interviewed before December, since they would have 250 OOS and about 100 in-state interviews. However, this is merely an ideal scenario. They apparently send out more than 100 offers on December 1st because they expect that the people they liked were liked by other schools. They do not do December interviews. They made it sound like they send out additional interviews only if they exhaust all their ideal choices from the pre-December pool. Given that they were still doing interviews into February this past cycle, that may speak volumes about how the initial interviews went.

Yes, that's what I heard as well. That's what I meant by "fill".

That sucks to hear! Thanks for the heads up though

Best of luck to the last out-of-state interview group on your interview tomorrow!

Best wishes to the first in-state interview group!

Wait it's already November and they're only doing the first in-state group? What's been going on since Sept/Oct?
Oh and Moderra, have you already had your interview for this year? If yeah, what were your impressions?

Wait it's already November and they're only doing the first in-state group? What's been going on since Sept/Oct?
Oh and Moderra, have you already had your interview for this year? If yeah, what were your impressions?
They conduct about 300 OOS interviews in Sept/Oct and then around 100 in state in november

It was similar to the application process last year. The interview was super chill and friendly. It always helps to have recent graduates or current D4 students interview you because they are well aware of the spot you are in when interviewing. Two of my four interviewers were either recent graduates or D4 students, along with Brian (any conversation with him is like a chat with a fun uncle) and someone else invited to participate in the admissions process. I had no issues whatsoever. Everyone was super friendly.

Bah! My apologies for neglecting to wish the November 6th in-state interview group good luck. Best of luck to the final in-state interview group on November 13th!

Bah! My apologies for neglecting to wish the November 6th in-state interview group good luck. Best of luck to the final in-state interview group on November 13th!
I'm impressed you know all IS and OOS interview dates haha. Hope you get in Marquette!

I'm impressed you know all IS and OOS interview dates haha. Hope you get in Marquette!
Ah yes. I learned them all so I could post a good luck message for each one. However, life happens (other interviews and being distracted by recent video game release dates) and I forgot about half of them. Sad face.

Same goes to you and all the active members in the thread. I hope we all get an offer. :3

Ah yes. I learned them all so I could post a good luck message for each one. However, life happens (other interviews and being distracted by recent video game release dates) and I forgot about half of them. Sad face.

Same goes to you and all the active members in the thread. I hope we all get an offer. :3
Does marquette interview/offer acceptances to more OOS applicants post december or should those of us who are OOS and havent heard back yet pretty expect rejection?

Does marquette interview/offer acceptances to more OOS applicants post december or should those of us who are OOS and havent heard back yet pretty expect rejection?

From the way it sounded at the interview, once they interview they give offers to the first bunch and waitlist a select amount; they then give offers to those on the waitlist. It sounded like they generally do not give out additional interviews or at least try not to.

question about pre-reqs as I got an interview and am signing up for classes now to fulfill marquette pre-reqs. I sent an email but I imagine them being busy with interviews and didn't respond. The gen chem requirements state a quantitative and qualititave class fulfills one of the classes. Is this just a stats class or a math class? My gen chem has a 10 person waitlist.

They made it sound like they will do some interviews after December. A few of the D3 and D2 students I had talked to interviewed after December and received an acceptance a few days later. Brian also said they will interview after December, but they do very few of those.

After today, all of Marquette's pre-December interviews will be complete. Sit back everyone, December 1st is fast approaching.

From the way it sounded at the interview, once they interview they give offers to the first bunch and waitlist a select amount; they then give offers to those on the waitlist. It sounded like they generally do not give out additional interviews or at least try not to.

They made it sound like they will do some interviews after December. A few of the D3 and D2 students I had talked to interviewed after December and received an acceptance a few days later. Brian also said they will interview after December, but they do very few of those.

They also put people they did not interview on the waitlist on December 1st, or around that time. It's like the people they did not interview pre-December, but still liked. I hung out on the waitlist last cycle without being interviewed for two months before I got an invite. Additionally, some people who interviewed in January received offers a few days after they interviewed.

It really all depends on how this interview cycle went. If a vast majority of those that they extend an offer to decide to reject the offer, then they have to pick more people from the pre-December pool. Once they exhaust their favorable choices from the pre-December pool, they will need to hold enough additional interviews to both fill the class (50 in-state/50 out-of-state) AND stock the alternate pool with 100 people. Believe me, I know what it's like to have no idea where you stand, but so long as you receive a waitlist or HOLD email instead of a rejection email, you still might get interviewed.

I received a question asking about the HOLD emails that go out around December 1st, so I'm posting the email that I got on December 2nd last year after not interviewing pre-December at Marquette.

In short, it just meant they didn't feel too strongly about me one way or the other.

Hold.jpg

I initially thought it was a rejection because i knew there was know way they were sending out acceptances this early - haha thank goodness it was just a thank you.

question about pre-reqs as I got an interview and am signing up for classes now to fulfill marquette pre-reqs. I sent an email but I imagine them being busy with interviews and didn't respond. The gen chem requirements state a quantitative and qualititave class fulfills one of the classes. Is this just a stats class or a math class? My gen chem has a 10 person waitlist.

Call the admissions office they will gladly help you out.

^ Yep, I heard back from them. All's good.

edit: forgot to quote you above.

I hope everyone has a pleasant Thanksgiving, and a safe Black Friday. A little over one week until Initial Offer Day!

Tomorrow is the big day! Best wishes, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.