***Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the latest ADEA guide, they interviewed 96 out of 196 in-state applicants and 301 out of 2010 out of state applicants.

Dang that's a lot... only 1 out of 6 out of staters interviewed get in

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
300 out of state are interviewed, 50 out of state get in

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email this morning asking for me to pay the secondary fee! :thumbup:

I interviewed as an out-of-state applicant.

I have a few tips for new applicants that actually apply to most schools.

1. Read up on the school's program. It is very likely that you will be asked how this school differs from others that you applied to. I got this question at all of my interviews. Thus, I recommend finding one or two things that the school's program offers that you like, then practice explaining why this is important to you. Research goes a long way. You'd be surprised how few people that get interviewed know anything about the program.

2. Practice answering "How would you describe yourself?" Seems simple, but this is actually a difficult question to answer. You need to be able to sum yourself up in 1-3 sentences in a way that stands out from other applicants and leaves the interviewer with a good impression of you. It's good to figure this out in advance, but don't present it to the interviewer as if you are just reiterating a line. Practicing this will help you answer this question more confidently.

3. I recommend incorporating school colors into your interview outfit. This isn't particularly vital, but I bought interview outfits for each school I applied to. Nothing extreme. I had a royal blue blazer with black pants and black top with gold accessories. Looking cute and professional was important to me.

4. AND OMG THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! COME WITH QUESTIONS! Even if you already know the answer, ask! Whether it be about FAFSA deadlines, kinds of loans, average distance students travel to get to class, etc... Just ask. Like at a job interview, asking questions further supports that you did research on the school or business and some bits of information need clarification. Do not be that one person who, during the student panel, sits there and asks nothing. It makes you seem uninterested.

5. Come prepared to discuss your weaknesses in your application, like poor subsections of the DAT (less than 17), low semester GPAs on your transcript, lack of shadowing hours (I had more than 100 shadowing hours and they still said I didn't have many...?), etc. and what you will do to better yourself despite those weaknesses. We all have weaknesses somewhere. No one has an absolutely perfect application.

6. Be sure to smile. Body language sends messages that may resonate more than actual words. I know this may be difficult, but a future dentist should have a confident smile. Flaunt them pearly whites! This makes you seem more enthused to be there AND it makes you seem more confident and approachable.

I know Marquette starts sending out interview invites in September, but don't be discouraged if you don't get invited early. I didn't interview until February (people who applied to dental school as disadvantaged may not be interviewed until the end of the interview process).

Here are some useful links for application help and interview preparation that I used and found helpful:

9 things to bring on an interview
9 things to bring on an interview | Mouthing Off | Blog of the American Student Dental Association

Tips for the ADEA AADSAS Application
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...l-school/tips-for-the-adea-aadsas-application

Crafting Your Personal Statement
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...ental-school/crafting-your-personal-statement

Hope this helps! :3

3) is a little much. Just wear some nice business clothing. NO NEED to buy an outfit for each interview. You can if you would like though.

5) they aren't gonna grill you on that stuff, just understand that they may ask about an inconsistency or two.

Marquette is pretty relaxed and a fun interview process. Speed dating, is what they like to call it lol (seriously though, it's what they referred to it as)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any idea about what days interviews are at Marquette (week days? weekends?)? I live 9 hours away and was just trying to get an idea.

I believe they are on mondays. For OOS, that was our choices. They did have some Friday days available.

Members don't see this ad :)
3) is a little much. Just wear some nice business clothing. NO NEED to buy an outfit for each interview. You can if you would like though.

5) they aren't gonna grill you on that stuff, just understand that they may ask about an inconsistency or two.

Marquette is pretty relaxed and a fun interview process. Speed dating, is what they like to call it lol (seriously though, it's what they referred to it as)
True that 3 is not necessary, being why I explicitly stated it isn't vital or extreme. For me, it mattered because I am what the young people call "extra" and I found it to be a cute idea that I noticed a majority of the other people I interviewed with did. While they will not grill you on your application weaknesses in particular, other schools I have found do. That's why I made it a point to point out that the post applied to other schools as well. It just helps to be prepared for anything. No stress for the newbies to the application process. :3

And I do agree that the interview was overall super chill. I talked about my love of cats during mine. Luckily, that interviewer also loved cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys think it's worth it to apply with a 3.2oGPA, 3.0sGPA and a 17AA? I am OOS

Last edited:
Maybe in the next days? Beginning of September i think

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get an email from them today and then get excited just to see it wasn't an invitation?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You got an email from them today? What for??
It wasn't anything huge that I think you should worry. All that matters at the end of the day would be an invitation and then an acceptance email. lol Buttttt it as just a lady introducing herself and she said she can get me in contact with current students that could answer questions and share their experience with me.

It wasn't anything huge that I think you should worry. All that matters at the end of the day would be an invitation and then an acceptance email. lol Buttttt it as just a lady introducing herself and she said she can get me in contact with current students that could answer questions and share their experience with me.
might as well have been an acceptance email.....

Reactions: 2 users

Dang, I didn't get that either

Do you guys think it's worth it to apply with a 3.2oGPA, 3.0sGPA and a 17AA? I am OOS

I paid the application fee but didn't receive the app complete/under review email. Should I call and ask just to make sure? I was asked to pay on August 21 and I paid right away...

I think, by looking at past trends and website info, September 1st is the recommended deadline so I'm sure interview invites would be after that date.

I paid the application fee but didn't receive the app complete/under review email. Should I call and ask just to make sure? I was asked to pay on August 21 and I paid right away...

May want to call and make sure just in case.

You should get a separate email for the payment of the application fee and then a separate email for application materials received. That is what I got.

I think, by looking at past trends and website info, September 1st is the recommended deadline so I'm sure interview invites would be after that date.

I believe interview invites go out in the later end of the next two weeks. Best of luck!

-source website.

You should get a separate email for the payment of the application fee and then a separate email for application materials received. That is what I got.

I believe interview invites go out in the later end of the next two weeks. Best of luck!

-source website.
I got an email titled "Application Received" that asked for payment then after I paid I got an automatic email titled "Thank you from Marquette University." Are these the two emails you got? I didn't get an email from them that confirms application complete.

-source website.
Later end of the next two weeks!! That's lovely.

I got an email titled "Application Received" that asked for payment then after I paid I got an automatic email titled "Thank you from Marquette University." Are these the two emails you got? I didn't get an email from them that confirms application complete.

Yea. Application received and thank you for payment.

Did anyone receive an interview?
If I remember correctly from last years thread, they send Pre December interviews literally all in one day someday in late September.

I forgot to post this... Someone on admissions told me "Interview invites will be extended the first full week after Labor Day and we begin interviewing on September 29." Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: 3 users
soo anxious to hear back from marquette!!! one of my top choices! I'm nervous!!

checking my email every 5 minutes ... hoping today is the day

Nothing..they did it on monday last yr and tues yr before...should be today or tomorrow!

I believe their admissions office closes around 4/4:30, so if we are gonna hear from them today it should be in the next hour or so?

We need a volunteer to call them and see what's going on...

Reactions: 3 users
Someone posted in Colorado page about having an interview invite from Marquette.

Got an email today!! Interview in late October. Keep an eye out they said the process just began today.

Status
Not open for further replies.