***Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite (IS) just received about ten minutes ago!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #4
School: Marquette
Notification Date: 9/14
Method of Notification: Email
Residency: IN
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1
GPA (science, overall): 3.96, 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 22/21/21/22 (none below 19: QR)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my IS invite as well. Good luck everyone.

oGPA: 3.4
DAT: 23

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!! Do you think today will be the only day for predecember invites?

Congrats everyone!! Do you think today will be the only day for predecember invites?
The available interview dates are only from the end of September to the end of October. More invites may go out two to three weeks before dates in November. But don't fret if you're not in the pre-December pool. More invites go out. Just because they interview us early doesn't mean they will like us and extend an offer. Plus, even if they extend us an offer doesn't mean we will accept it. I recall interviewing at UIC last year on December 5th and everyone else there also applied to Marquette, but were just placed on the waitlist rather than interviewed, accepted or rejected. We all got an email telling us decisions for us were placed on HOLD. Hold was literally in all caps. I assume that after they do the first big round of interviews, they take those that did not interview pre-December that they also like and put them all on a waitlist for X amount of time, then interview accordingly from there. I assume that's how it went because other people did mention receiving rejections on December 1st.

My AADSAS status says invited for interview but I haven't received an email yet....should I wait it out and see if I get one later or? Did this happen to anyone else?

My AADSAS status says invited for interview but I haven't received an email yet....should I wait it out and see if I get one later or? Did this happen to anyone else?
Check your spam folder or trash bin. If it says Invited for Interview, it means you should have received an email. If not, call the admissions office to inquire.

The available interview dates are only from the end of September to the end of October. More invites may go out two to three weeks before dates in November. But don't fret if you're not in the pre-December pool. More invites go out. Just because they interview us early doesn't mean they will like us and extend an offer. Plus, even if they extend us an offer doesn't mean we will accept it. I recall interviewing at UIC last year on December 5th and everyone else there also applied to Marquette, but were just placed on the waitlist rather than interviewed, accepted or rejected. We all got an email telling us decisions for us were placed on HOLD. Hold was literally in all caps. I assume that after they do the first big round of interviews, they take those that did not interview pre-December that they also like and put them all on a waitlist for X amount of time, then interview accordingly from there. I assume that's how it went because other people did mention receiving rejections on December 1st.
Thank you! You've been super helpful :)

WI resident here
GPA: 3.85-s, 3.89-o
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 21 PAT
AADSAS submitted 7/1

IS interview dates were November 3, 6, 13--choose am or pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is received/ under review!
Received/Under Review is what Marquette says once all materials have been submitted.

Some schools have it listed as Application Complete, but Marquette has it listed as Received/Under Review.

Received/Under Review is what Marquette says once all materials have been submitted.

Some schools have it listed as Application Complete, but Marquette has it listed as Received/Under Review.
Oh okay, thanks. But his status changed to app complete!

Oh okay, thanks. But his status changed to app complete!
It probably didn't say that, that's just how it was interpreted. Or other schools they applied to had completed applications listed as "Application Complete". Don't worry, misunderstandings happen. I did the same at the start of this forum when I referred to the application fee as the supplemental application.

Also received mine at 9:48 ET

Residency: Illinois
oGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 22 PAT

WELP guess I'm not visiting Milwaukee anytime soon if all the interviews got sent out at once like last year Congrats all!

I have nothing in my junk...hmm, I'll call later then thanks!!

WELP guess I'm not visiting Milwaukee anytime soon if all the interviews got sent out at once like last year Congrats all!
There is still hope after December 1st. If you receive a waitlist email instead of a rejection email, you are likely to get interviewed between January and March.

I'd call the school and ask if they are still inviting for predecember interviews!

I have nothing in my junk...hmm, I'll call later then thanks!!
Do call soon. You're already a day behind and interview slots fill up fast. I called all of an hour after the email was sent and my first choice timeslot was filled.

There is still hope after December 1st. If you receive a waitlist email instead of a rejection email, you are likely to get interviewed between January and March.

I'd call the school and ask if they are still inviting for predecember interviews!

Ah you guys are too kind... it's ok I'm not too worried about it since I have other interviews at schools I'm very excited about! I actually kinda like that they do it all at once so that you know where you stand

I called Marquette admissions and asked if they were completely done sending out pre-December invites. The response was somewhat vague.. but the lady answering the phone said they are not necessarily done sending out pre-dec invites because they are waiting to hear back from people and whether they will accept the invite. Next week they will probably send a few more - but I got the sense that the majority of pre-deceber invites have already been sent out. Sounds like there's still a small chance of hope for some of us! fingers crossed!

Reactions: 6 users
yea i think i took a big L on marquette lol

Reactions: 3 users
Same here. I guess I applied too late

Last edited:
Same here. I guess I applied too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doubt it...i applied 3 days after it was possible and I'm the cricket center. Every school has their pactuliarities. Or at least that's the lie Ima tell myself for time being hah. Good luck to y'all interviewing there in the near future.

Reactions: 2 users
Doubt it...i applied 3 days after it was possible and I'm the cricket center. Every school has their pactuliarities. Or at least that's the lie Ima tell myself for time being hah. Good luck to y'all interviewing there in the near future.
Yeah apparently a 3.96 and a 23AA ain't good enough for them... oh well, I'm just butt hurt. Best of luck to everyone who got interview.

There will still be post-dec interviews right?
Yes. Interviews continue through February, sometimes March. I guess people just want those pre-December interviews because they get a definitive answer on December 1st. However, last year a couple of the January interview people received acceptance offers a week after their interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who don't receive an interview invite, do not lose hope at Marquette. If, on December 1st, you get an email stating your application was placed on HOLD and your application status reads "Waitlisted" you are still in line to get an interview invite. Some of those in this group will interview for their PESP program (if you applied as a disadvantaged applicant) or will interview for the spots that remain open after December 1st and be placed in the alternate pool. Alternate pool spots remain valid until about two weeks after classes begin.

Reactions: 3 users
Forgot to post in here when I got my invite on the 14th. Utah resident. Does anyone know how long the sessions last?

Forgot to post in here when I got my invite on the 14th. Utah resident. Does anyone know how long the sessions last?
The interview sessions are around four hours (tour, student panel, lunch, talking with the financial aid woman and 40-minute interview sessions together). Each session is 45 minutes outside of the interview, 40 minutes, and closing session, 60 minutes.

Last year, during the financial aid session, she had us introduce ourselves by stating our name, where we were from, where we did our undergrad and a fun fact. If you're bad at thinking of fun facts about yourself on the spot, think of that now.

Alrighty! Since the interviews will be starting soon, here are some more tips for people.

1. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! This does not mean tennis shoes, this means wear dress shoes that you can comfortably walk on a tile floor in. So don't wear some nice brand new shoes, break them in well in advance. You will be walking A LOT during your interview, so don't hurt yourself to look as sharp as possible. You'll be walking on different floor types, up stairs and between stations during the interview. Ladies, don't invite the opportunity to fall during your interview because you wanted to wear a pair of heels that were on fleek (myself and the ladies I interviewed with at UIS learned this the hard way when we delayed the tour each time we went up or down stairs because we ALL wore heels and had to awkwardly and slowly walk sideways to avoid falling down the stairs. Our feet were also very obviously sore by the end of the interview). Gentleman, break those shoes in so you don't squeak the entire time.

2. Don't be afraid to bring a folder with prepared questions and supplemental items (you'll be given a folder with information about the school regardless, but it doesn't hurt). My application mentioned that I am skilled at knitting, so I brought photographs and samples of my work to add to my application. Your interview is open file at Marquette, so this can help support your claims with additional evidence.

3. I know most people may ignore the emails you get from AADSAS, but some of those are actually quite useful. A handful of the dental schools host webinars that give you more insight on the school's application process and interview process. I do not believe Marquette has had one yet, but quite a few schools have (one webinar was today, 9/21/2017, and hosted five different dental schools). These are actually quite helpful and the schools let you know exactly what they are looking for and what they are not looking for during the interview process.

4. For the afternoon session people, bring gum. Since our interview day STARTS with lunch, let's not rock that hot sandwich breath during the entire interview session. I'll be everyone's friend and bring a pack on my interview date out of consideration, but don't count on someone sharing their gum or mints. A small mirror may also help to make sure there's no food in your teeth. The morning darlings shouldn't have this issue.

5. Arrive to the city you are interviewing in at least 12 hours before your interview session starts. Some schools allow people to show up to their interview session late, but it looks really bad regardless of traffic or weather. So for my out-of-state lovelies, get to Milwaukee the day before, stay in a hotel near the school, wake up three hours before your interview starts and get to the interview location at least a half hour early.

6. Oddly enough, don't seem nervous during your interview. While they can understand that you'd be nervous about your future riding on this interview, being obviously nervous can actually hurt you. According to the webinars, being obviously nervous about interviewing can show not only a lack in confidence, but also show the school that you can't properly handle a high-stress situation. So wear your game face on the outside and keep all the worries inside.

With that, good luck everyone. You can all handle this. You've been preparing your entire undergraduate, and some graduate, career to prove your worth to a dental school. It's the final stretch and the hard part is over, or will end if you haven't yet graduated, and you just have to be your darling self at the interview. Best wishes to you all. :3

Reactions: 5 users
Alrighty! Since the interviews will be starting soon, here are some more tips for people. :3

I was wondering if anyone knows the tone of the MMI interviews conducted at Marquette.

I know the format (10 minutes @EACH station), but I am just curious if anyone experienced Marquette's particular MMI interview and have any feedback from it?

I was wondering if anyone knows the tone of the MMI interviews conducted at Marquette.

I know the format (10 minutes @EACH station), but I am just curious if anyone experienced Marquette's particular MMI interview and have any feedback from it?
There are four stations. The interview is open-file, so they have all of your application information. I found that each station seemed to focus on a specific section of your application. One station focused on my recommendations, personal statement, and other skills. On focused more on my credentials, like shadowing, community service, DAT and such. One seemed to focus more on actually getting to know me based on my undergraduate experiences. The last one was kind of a mixed bag. The tone honestly depends on who is doing the interviewing. Three of the four people who interviewed me seemed really nice and personable, one seemed very cold and almost threatening. This can change, since I interviewed during the last cycle, but that is what I found at my last Marquette interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys! Is anyone willing to switch interview dates at Marquette with me? My interview date is October 23rd (Monday) but was really wanting to go October 16th because that is over my fall break so I wouldn't have to take off school. Thanks in advance if you can!

Hi guys! Is anyone willing to switch interview dates at Marquette with me? My interview date is October 23rd (Monday) but was really wanting to go October 16th because that is over my fall break so I wouldn't have to take off school. Thanks in advance if you can!
I would be willing to swap my date, but I did the advance payment for my hotel room, which cannot be refunded. If that were not the case, I'd be able to swap days with you. I'm sorry.

Oh! For those who were not invited for a pre-December interview, here is some more information! Note that some of you WILL receive a rejection notice on December 1st. It's just how it is, unfortunately. I assume it is the means by which they start shrinking the candidate pool. However, if you DO NOT receive a rejection notice and your application status does not change on December 1st, don't freak out. Last year, I received my waitlist email on December 2nd at 10:28AM Central Time. So don't think that they left you in a gray area if nothing changes on December 1st. They send out all initial offers and all rejections on December 1st. Then after all that noise, they send out an email informing those that were not interviewed that they are still a candidate for the Class of 2022 and can be interviewed from Early January to late February or early March (depending on how many seats remain open. It could just run from January to mid-February).

Those who applied as a minority or feasibly fit disadvantaged status AND were placed on the waitlist will have a chance at interviewing for the 10-12 seats in the Pre-Enrollment Support Program (PESP). By the time I interviewed for this program, there were only 5 seats remaining, so I assume that some pre-PESP interview date people were placed in the program prior. Meaning myself and 11 other people interviewed for 5 seats (pretty good odds, considering). If you get into this program, it is just a three-month program. If you successfully complete it (they claim only one person in all the years they have done it has not passed) then you enter your desired class as normal. Meaning, if you applied to be a part of the Class of 2022, you will be in the Class of 2022 upon successful completion of the program. Do note that it is rigorous, but it is meant to prepare those who may potentially struggle due to their low DAT score, low GPA, racial background, household income, etc., and maintain student retention rate. Don't let being placed in this program discourage you or make you feel as though you only got in for one thing or another. So long as you get into dental school, who really cares how you got there? You still have to do all the same work as everyone else.

For those who do not end up getting accepted, make a plan for what you will do next time around. Not everyone gets in their first or even second time. I recommend getting some certifications (I got Basic Life Support certified. It only takes a day and some studying, but it's super useful for those going into the medical field), shadowing more dentists (I more than doubled my shadowing hours since the last application process since they mentioned during my interview that my 112 hours were too few in number), find more volunteer opportunities in your area, rewrite your personal statement to reflect your new perspective on dentistry and yourself after your first attempt at applying, change up your recommendations (I went from two employers and two science professors to one employer, one dentist and two science professors), or even look into assisting. A few places allow you to assist a dentist without being a certified dental assistant, they just require you be a prospective dental student. I know, sounds weird and probably illegal, right? Apparently it is allowed in some areas. Don't do what I did last year and be so optimistic that you don't even come up with a plan of what you'll do in the event you don't get accepted. This is also a very common interview question. *wink* *wink*

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone knows if the school accepts Californian applicants as well or not ? :)

Anyone knows if the school accepts Californian applicants as well or not ? :)
They do. One of the people I interviewed with last cycle was from California. They interview people from all over the country.

They do. One of the people I interviewed with last cycle was from California. They interview people from all over the country.
So to my understanding no more invites will be given out until December, is that correct?

So to my understanding no more invites will be given out until December, is that correct?

I’m pretty sure January. Usually they give them out dec 1st and give a deadline to put a security deposit in. They then use the amount of people that put security deposits in to gage how many more invites to send out.

It is possible that a couple more invites will be sent out. Today is the last day for all the invitees to schedule their interview dates. Assuming a handful of the people failed to claim an interview day, some more invites will go out to fill the remaining slots.

Past that, it would seem that all pre-December interview invites have been sent out. Then additional invites go out mid to late December or in mid January.

Status
Not open for further replies.