>>>>>>Official DMU Class of 2009<<<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Portier said:
[

I'll be there.

I'm leaving town on the 24th for a Roadtrip out into the great unkonwn, but I'd love to hang out on the 18th....and the 23rd if you do something else.

I'll be missing Pre-Orientation....damn!
That was great the last two years running, but....Hell, they're doing combined pre-orientation stuff this year, so it won't be quite the same, but it'll be a GREAT time.

He will be there.............just look for the guy with the gray beard and the walking cane..........he responds mostly to grandpa bernard :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

mzafaran said:
Sure enough, as promised by the webmaster the new site design is up and running. I too, must admit that the new site looks a lot more like a university's webpage. :thumbup:

All this talk of a new website...I can't view it. I can only get to www.dmu.edu and then any page I select from there, doesn't work! Guess they still have the bugs to work out...

:thumbup:

J

Hey guys if you guys are around later this month and want a free vacuum cleaner and a bunch of other assorted crap give me a pm.

[edit]

I just saw Frenchies post, so I will have to amend the free part. A beer or beverage your choice (coffee) will be accepcted as a donation for the vacuum. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

http://www.dmcityview.com/cover.shtml

This is a local independent rag that covers the city.

These descriptions of the bars and restaurants are pretty accurate in my experience...too bad I JUST found out about Denny Arthurs...... :thumbdown:

Einar Arason said:
Wellmans on saturday the 16th of July at 8:00 pm it is then... unless there are any objections???

Thanks for the info Portier. Will you be able to join all of us (which, up to this point, is just me), or will you have left town by then?

Come now DMUers. Let's have some "I'll be there" posts.

Count me in!

Hey All--

If you're anything like me...you're excited to get your hands on a new gadget, two in fact...the laptop and PDA! I stumbeled across this while bored tonight...it's the listing of what laptop and PDA we're getting. It's listed on the my.dmu.edu website, in the documents section...but here are the links...pretty entry level stuff...but I'm excited nonetheless....

http://www.gateway.com/products/GConfig/proddetails.asp?system_id=m460eb&seg=ed

here's for the pda:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...spx/axim_x50_520?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=hied

See you all soon!

J

Do you know if that PDA comes pre-loaded with any specific software? I already have an HP Ipaq that I use with better specs than the Dell and would just as soon Ebay the Dell and keep using the one I have if that's possible.

Old_Mil said:
Do you know if that PDA comes pre-loaded with any specific software? I already have an HP Ipaq that I use with better specs than the Dell and would just as soon Ebay the Dell and keep using the one I have if that's possible.

A bit of extrapolation is necessary, but.....

For 1st and 2nd year the Pocket PC doesn't matter. At least it hasn't for 07 and 08.

For 3rd and 4th year you will be doing your pateint logs on your PDA and using the web to submit them. They MIGHT be loading the log software onto the new Pocket PC's. And expecting you to keep them 4 years..... AND that means you have to keep it even if you don't like it.

Finally we had to pay 50 bucks to kep our pocket PC's after 2nd year. We (07) were issued new Pocket PC's for 3rd and 4th year. So I'm not sure how much the Pocket PC is "yours" to dispose of.

You should email David Von Arb, Bill Morton, or Teresa Topf for these questions.

Hey guys..two questions..

1) have you guys received your financial aid award letter yet???? I haven't. It scares me that we're 1/3 in July and my loans are not approved yet.

2) I have a + skin test, and a - x-ray. Are you guys putting up with the school's recommendation of doing INH considering the side effects??

see ya all in 3 weeks!!

mzafaran said:

1) have you guys received your financial aid award letter yet???? I haven't. It scares me that we're 1/3 in July and my loans are not approved yet.

hey,
i did receive my letter late last week, early this week. they are still in the process. i am sure the nice folks in fin aid will let you know where you are. i'd call early in the day, though, they tend to get a little frazzled at the end of the day.

Senor Portier

how is the internet connection at the Imperial? I have read up on the problems encountered there since its inception. But i haven't seen anything new.
secondly, i'm not at all used to using a PDA. Do they give you a fair amount of introduction to it or do i have to fool around with it to figure it out? enjoy the roadtrip.

mzafaran said:

2) I have a + skin test, and a - x-ray. Are you guys putting up with the school's recommendation of doing INH considering the side effects??

see ya all in 3 weeks!!

as for #2, I don't know a hospital in the US that would let you work there with a positive PPD if you don't have documented 6 months of INH. The military has standards (that's my background) that are unwavering. I imagine the public health sector has similar guidelines.

Mad Cow said:
Senor Portier

how is the internet connection at the Imperial? I have read up on the problems encountered there since its inception. But i haven't seen anything new.
secondly, i'm not at all used to using a PDA. Do they give you a fair amount of introduction to it or do i have to fool around with it to figure it out? enjoy the roadtrip.

I don't use the school's internet at the "Affordable Luxury." I shelled out 50 bones a month to have my cable modem and high speed access be reliable.

The wireless here has been upgraded and expanded a few times, but does fall off kinda' often per reports from others that live here.

I also notice students sitting either at the back or front entrances with their laptops trying to get the best reception. You can try that.

The PDA classes bored me to crying tears....I think they caused brain damange...like watching a John Wayne movie on a Swiss TV where he kills Chinese people while speaking in French. (That's a http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/ quote)

They'll educate you and give you a user manual.

Other than that, you'll be able to spend time with the oh so smart IT folks at the help desk. NOTE: They fired the greasey haired, coke bottle glasses wearing, black trenchcoat sporting, hurrily flip down my laptop cover when you come in, DIDN'T WASH HIS HANDS AFTER A SIT DOWN in the MENS' ROOm guy.

All the IT people they have now are very competent with varying degrees of "I do better with people over messenger" syndrome. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Portier said:
as for #2, I don't know a hospital in the US that would let you work there with a positive PPD if you don't have documented 6 months of INH. The military has standards (that's my background) that are unwavering. I imagine the public health sector has similar guidelines.

There were several good articles on TB in last month's JAMA. The preferred treatment is now 9 months of INH. In fact, I'm currently on month 8 of the INH/B6 regimen. It's hell on the GI system and I've had LFT's every other month. One month I was three times the norm for AST and ALT. It went back down to low norms the next month so we think it was probably just a lab screwup. I wasn't quite sure about taking INH, but I'm glad I did since many hospitals now require it.

Cheers,
Hc

hylacinerea said:
There were several good articles on TB in last month's JAMA. The preferred treatment is now 9 months of INH. In fact, I'm currently on month 8 of the INH/B6 regimen. It's hell on the GI system and I've had LFT's every other month. One month I was three times the norm for AST and ALT. It went back down to low norms the next month so we think it was probably just a lab screwup. I wasn't quite sure about taking INH, but I'm glad I did since many hospitals now require it.

Cheers,
Hc

Yeah, I had a 9 month course after being exposed at work and subsequently popping a positive PPD too. The worst were the dietary restrictions. Not supposed to eat anything that has been fermented, because one of the byproducts can interact with the INH and cause a dangerous spike in blood pressure. No cheese products (think about how many different foods have cheese in them), no BEER :scared: , etc.

The LFT's were fun too. Since I am over 35, the physician scheduled them every two weeks. I can symapthize with folks on coumadin therapy. :thumbdown:

My physician told me to never let anyone give me another PPD, as the first positive can sensitize you enough to make you go into ana. shock during a subsequent PPD. He also said that an annual CXR would be sufficient from this point on.

Thanks guys, I guess INH for me it is too as well. For those that haven't gotten the word yet, you can receive treatment at DMU clinic at no cost to you. Now its time to bug the financial aid folks. :cool:

mzafaran said:
Thanks guys, I guess INH for me it is too as well. For those that haven't gotten the word yet, you can receive treatment at DMU clinic at no cost to you. Now its time to bug the financial aid folks. :cool:

ON THIS TOPIC: You can't get DMU dollars until you're registered (Federal Law).

You won't be registered until Orientation week.

That means you don't get dollars until the first week of classes.

:thumbdown:

racerx said:
Yeah, I had a 9 month course after being exposed at work and subsequently popping a positive PPD too. The worst were the dietary restrictions. Not supposed to eat anything that has been fermented, because one of the byproducts can interact with the INH and cause a dangerous spike in blood pressure. No cheese products (think about how many different foods have cheese in them), no BEER :scared: , etc.

The LFT's were fun too. Since I am over 35, the physician scheduled them every two weeks. I can symapthize with folks on coumadin therapy. :thumbdown:

My physician told me to never let anyone give me another PPD, as the first positive can sensitize you enough to make you go into ana. shock during a subsequent PPD. He also said that an annual CXR would be sufficient from this point on.

You're signature line was in a country song I heard today as I took a dirve around Des Moines with my Latte. Damned insightful.

Just like what Benton's Mom told him on ER: "What you can do is a gift from God. What you do with it is a gift back."

hey,
does anyone living in or around des moines have any good mechanics? i hate the trial and error of finding one that does the job and doesn't cost a bloody arm and a bloody leg. hopefully, the more options the better? thanks a lot.

Mad Cow said:
hey,
does anyone living in or around des moines have any good mechanics? i hate the trial and error of finding one that does the job and doesn't cost a bloody arm and a bloody leg. hopefully, the more options the better? thanks a lot.

I just go to midas because they are usually pretty fair with prices and quick/time friendly. I haven't really heard of a bad place, and there are always the dealership car shops depending on your model.

Tuffy's

That was what a native Des Moinker told me, but I never used it.

I might be the last to reply to this, but i will be able to show up on saturday. I didn't think so right away, but i can now. I've even checked out wellman's a couple times now so i can walk in like i know the place. I'll be there at 8:05.....fashionably late.

Have fun tonight! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it! Damn UPS lost my overnight package (twice), so we weren't able to close escrow on my place in DM...at least not until next week. So looks like one more weekend stuck in "C"rochester... ;)

Have a pint or two for me!

Cheers

J :thumbup:

Wellmans is on Ingersoll just west of Wells Fargo bank.

They have good beer.

And a lot of it.

DOitright said:
Have fun tonight! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it! Damn UPS lost my overnight package (twice), so we weren't able to close escrow on my place in DM...at least not until next week. So looks like one more weekend stuck in "C"rochester... ;)

Have a pint or two for me!

Cheers

J :thumbup:

I got stuck dirnking all day on a boat in Okoboji...sorry everyone.

I'll make the next one...if you go out again before the 24th.

In fact, I think a fun night would be Mickey's Irish Pub on the 20th if anyone is interested. It's quarter beer night, and dollar wells....

Anyone?!?!

Portier said:

In fact, I think a fun night would be Mickey's Irish Pub on the 20th if anyone is interested. It's quarter beer night, and dollar wells....
Anyone?!?!

I like Mickey's...but won't be around Wednesday. Will be back this coming weekend, however.

Hey Madcow, how're you feeling this morning? :)

Portier said:

Anyone?!?!

I also won't be in town until the weekend (at he earliest) otherwise, I'd be there.

By the sounds of it...Wellman's was quite a success?!?! I had a couple beers with you all...just from a distance! ;)

J

Portier said:

Anyone?!?!

I think I can make it. I have to go to Omaha in the morning but I should be back sometime at the end of the day. I feel like I've done absolutely nothing lately, even though I've been busy like a mad woman.

Maybe Friday or Saturday, then.....

Old_Mil said:
Hey Madcow, how're you feeling this morning? :)
Whatchu talkin bout 'Mil'lis?

I'm up for a Friday or Saturday Assault. Is Mickey's a possibility?

Bernard you may need to take them to 3rd base for $1 beer night friday, or miss kitty's on saturday night for the real iowa country experience. I'm done with research thursday, so get a hold of me if you wanna do something.

Mad Cow said:
Whatchu talkin bout 'Mil'lis?

I'm up for a Friday or Saturday Assault. Is Mickey's a possibility?

We can do the crawl.

I can drive my old man mobile:
iB2558A_1.jpg

which will seat 5-6.

We can hit Mickey's, Drink, Loft, Aura, Crush, etc. Whatever..

We can pick one, or see them all......

Excited.gif

I don't know... my mom always said don't get into a car with strange characters. eh, I'm in. Anyone else out there?

mad cow if its just you two in the car I recommend sitting in the back seat................or you may just find out why he is nicknamed grabbyhands mcportier :idea:

I wish I could join you guys, but I'll be stuck in CA 'till the 26th. I have no doubt, based on what I saw from our last night out, that Mad Cow will do enough drinking for all those of us who are not present.

It is hard to hold the man back.

cremaster2007 said:
mad cow if its just you two in the car I recommend sitting in the back seat................or you may just find out why he is nicknamed grabbyhands mcportier :idea:

that sounds like a new character for McDonald's.
-Hey Hamburglar, have you seen Grabbyhands McPortier?
-Robble, Robble.

Einar,
I'm still one beer and one shot behind you, old mil, and the gang. Heck, i'm still laughing about that old guy who went home to get a condom for that bachelorette party, then hit on that balding woman. Ah, I now know why Wellman's is THE bar for med students.

I'm down for a saturday night shindig...I'll be driving in sometime saturday evening, so I may have you meet you guys out somewhere...but by the sounds of it, I don't want to ride with grabbyhands anyways! ;)

make sure you post your plans here so I can crash the party!

cya all soon!

J

I may have left Wellman's a bit earlier than expected last saturday, but i think i am still up a few to you others...or at least it felt like it the next day. Maybe I should have had a cup of coffee too. Anyways, if anyone's heading out friday i will show up. I have some family coming on saturday, so i gotta get my fun before then i guess.

Since we've had a couple of the super geniuses on our thread, i thought i would try and fit in and post a picture that is relevant...

B0000YQ078.01-A2X3FMBNSRPS6U.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

rjfreed said:
Since we've had a couple of the super geniuses on our thread, i would try and fit in and post a picture that is relevant...

lately I've definetly felt Petarded.................... :laugh:

Hi everybody!!

I feel like I haven't been on SDN in ages, but I still want to welcome the new 2009ers to DMU, and to advocate for the cushiness of Portier's manmobile.

After a short side trip to Texas. I'm not going to have a hangover in the morning...how about you?

Great times were had by all.

The classes of 08 and 09 met with the lone rep of 07....me. (Hickman stopped in at Wellman's but only briefly)

It was a really nice time.

Madcow is a man....much to my surprise as I made out with him.

Muchkin is definitely a woman.....and Steve Singson can tell you more about that.

DOitright had on a pink shirt, a bald head, and an earing....however, he was the only one who had a woman with him. HMMMMMMMM

Do you think I can make it to Toledo by dark? NOT!

Portier said:
Madcow is a man....much to my surprise as I made out with him.

:confused: :scared: :barf:

How's that for sign language Frenchie?

see y'all bowling tomorrow?

:mad: :horns:

Mad Cow said:

If I could use my golf score as my bowling score, and my bowling score as my golf score, I'd be a two-sports pro.

Nevertheless, I'll be there. Rented shoes and all.

Mad Cow said:

I've decided I'll get my lazy rear off the couch and go. I think I'll just meet you guys there since it's closer to me than DMU is. I still need to go tour campus before classes start.

Any plans for Tuesday night? Doesn't look like there are any official plans...

officially in des moines now...looking forward to meet ya all next week. peace!

Old_Mil said:
Any plans for Tuesday night? Doesn't look like there are any official plans...

nothin going on tonight. it seems that there'll be a good turnout for karoake/ movie tomorrow night.