>>>>>>Official DMU Class of 2009<<<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
YAY for us! :thumbup: We've picked the right school and I can't wait until we get to be a great big family! I'm opening this thread so we can get to know each other better and share our thoughts/information on the school and Des Moines. I'm so excited already I want to be there now, but I just sent my deposit today! Wheww, what a relief! :cool:

So post away fellow classmates! And everyone feel welcome, even if you haven't made the ulitmate decision yet! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ooohhh!! Me too! I mean, me three! I'm poster number threeeeee!!!!

I really loved DMU. A lot. But I have to go where is cheaper for me. I hope its alright if I stop in every now and then and fantasize about the way things might have been. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
of course you can drop by yposhelley! But where are all my fellow DMU'ers?!
I don't want to sit in class all alone!

I am not sure where they are but if you get lonely you can join me in my lonely UMDNJ thread.

Munchkin6245 said:
of course you can drop by yposhelley! But where are all my fellow DMU'ers?!
I don't want to sit in class all alone!

Nate said:
I am not sure where they are but if you get lonely you can join me in my lonely UMDNJ thread.

:laugh: You guys are too funny :love:

At least we have some people over in the MSUCOM thread.

Nate, your thread has 3 pages with confirmed classmates. So you are not, my dear, lonely. :p And don't get me started on MSU yposhelley, I know I should've kept up with my deadline for the secondary but I had 29 other secondaries I was filling out at that time! :laugh:

Ok, Ok, I'll come post pad. :laugh:

On another note: COME ON PEOPLE!!! DMU IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!

Hey what do you know, I'm the second "real" DMU 2009 person to post here. Glad to meet you Munch. See you in the late summer, or early Fall. Yes, it's a great school. There will probably be more people to post pretty soon.

Oh, by the way, I've lived all over the US and even in Des Moines for the last couple years, so any questions about the city and how it compares, fire away. I'm currently in Africa with the military, it's been Ten months here so far...I think I've had enough, I'm ready to come home.

I'm glad the 2009 DMU class thread started!

Later, eh!

I extend my welcomes to all of you incomers... As you all know well, this is the place to ask questions so ask away.

There are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years (such as myself) who linger around to answer any questions that we can.

:cool:

Well, I'm flying out to Des Moines to check out the school (I interviewed in Portland and got my acceptance letter a couple of weeks ago) and homes in the area. I'm going to be dropping the $500 in person... so, does that make me your new classmate?

I'm 85% sure it does! Can't wait to meet you guys!!!

Glad somebody started an Official DMU'er 2009 thread!!!!!!!

I am having difficulty deciding between DMU and AZCOM!!! I have had some success, I've narrowed my choices to two (MSUCOM is too expensive for out-of-staters!)!!!!!

Either way...I loved DMU and will update you on my decision!!! All DMU'ers have decided on a great school, and I'm sure will love their time there!!! THey will eventually find their way to this thread, I'm confident in that!

Good Luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm also going to attend DMU in fall 2005. I love the school, the people, and the atmosphere at DMU. Can't wait to meet you guys in August :D

I've also been accepted. We'll see if I get into a cheap TX school first.

In the meantime, I've preparing for Des Moines. Anyone know of reasonably priced homes for rent?

And just how cold DOES it get in Des Moines??? :scared:

Hey guys!! I was just accepted last week and I'm super excited. :) I grew up in Iowa so if you have any questions let me know. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and I'll definately be there in Aug unless I get a miraculous acceptance at UofMN (much cheaper :p ).
:)

Welcome everybody!!! I'm so excited to see so many DMU'ers already!

Popoy: Thanks for all your input/advice. I've been lurking in the DMU '08 threads asking questions already, but I'm sure I'll have tons more.

bigdreamer: It's great to meet you too! My best friend is living with her husband at the Exxon compound in Douala, Cameroon. She likes it there but misses the states tremendously. I hope you make a safe return home as well.

Ms Evolution: I wish I could've dropped my deposit off in person ~ it would've made the experience much more uplifting. Are you looking to rent or buy? I think I may rent for the first 6 mos to get used to the areas and then probably buy.

mql3449: Can't wait to meet you either! I think we're gonna have a really great class with the students I see DMU attracting.

DOitright: I know how hard it is to decide between schools. That's what I did this weekend. If you haven't already seen it, there is a thread in Pre-Osteo. titled DMU vs. AZCOM that was really helpful for me. Good luck!

Evo: Whazzup! I've been searching the web for apts/homes for the past week and found some pretty good deals. Pet policy is really strict too, especially for dogs. As for weather, I checked out the monthly averages on weather.com. It's gonna get pretty cold, but I need the change from out hot, humid Houston!

Munchkin6245 said:
Welcome everybody!!! I'm so excited to see so many DMU'ers already!

Evo: Whazzup! I've been searching the web for apts/homes for the past week and found some pretty good deals. Pet policy is really strict too, especially for dogs. As for weather, I checked out the monthly averages on weather.com. It's gonna get pretty cold, but I need the change from out hot, humid Houston!
Indeed. I can't believe that it's humid two days before Thanksgiving. :mad:

Munchkin6245 said:
DOitright: I know how hard it is to decide between schools. That's what I did this weekend. If you haven't already seen it, there is a thread in Pre-Osteo. titled DMU vs. AZCOM that was really helpful for me. Good luck!

QUOTE]

Haha...I know...I posted it! ;) And still I can't make up my mind! Glad it helped somebody though! :D

Maybe I'll cya in August!!

oh! dumb me..i didn't even look, hahaha :laugh:

Ah...this brings back memories of days long gone. Welcome to DMU ya'll. Got any questions just ask.

Ok, about all these, "how cold does it get" questions. It is the midwest and because of that you can expect some cold like you've never known. It is very common for temps in the single digits and most of the time, when considering the windshield facor in makes it way below zero often enough, during the hard core winter months. But, you also get a great full variety of true seasons, fall is gorgeous, spring is too, and summer is outstanding, there is some hot humidity though.

As for rentals, I think you will have no problem finding stuff there, and at reasonable prices. I'll be purchasing a home near DMU or else a townhome in West DesMoines. West DesMoines is the newer trendy area, popular place to live, and eat, though personally I'd rather live more near DMU and the down town city area, so that the commute is never a problem, not that it would be anyhow since even from the west side it's a quick approx 15-20 min via 235 express way, and the traffic rush hour is not so bad if you plan for it, but even then it's usually not so bad.

For rental apartments you could check out of course the "Grand Apt" next to the school or you could log onto the www.desmoinesregister.com and check the adds for rental homes and apartments.

There are plenty of nice meat market clubs/dance clubs on the west side and a whole strip of stuff to do down town on Court Ave, with clubs and eateries, pubs, micro-breweries etc... Nice park just down Fluer off of Grand near the school that has a great running biking, rollerblade paved path along the river etc... land accross the way from that another park "water works" (not the type of water works your thinking, just a name because the city water co. owns the land) which has a disk golf course, it's ok, there are a few better one's around the area though, I loved the one on the East Side DSM the best. There is lots more stuff in Des Moines too, but can't think now, was only going to jot a few down. Later mates.

Munchkin6245 said:
Popoy: Thanks for all your input/advice. I've been lurking in the DMU '08 threads asking questions already, but I'm sure I'll have tons more.

No problem.... Sometimes I forget that my responses to everything has been immortalized in this website :)

Just let me know if you have any questions... I'll be lurkin' around...

Ok, here are some questions that I've been thinking about:

What types/prices internet access are available?
How much does electricity run for a 1BR, on avg?
Cellphone service - who has the best service in that area?
When/Is there a white coat ceremony?
Fitness facilities on campus?
Do I need to buy snow tires?haha
Health Insurance options? How much do I pay out of pocket per month, etc?

Ok, that'll do for now. Thanks in advance!

Munchkin6245 said:

How much does electricity run for a 1BR, on avg?

Ok, that'll do for now. Thanks in advance!

Most apartments have cable internet access but its usually through media com and you can hook a wireless port up to it to cover your whole apartment. If you live close enough to school (Imperial or 3000 grand) you can get wireless usually through the school.

I have US cellular which is great in Des Moines, but if you plan on traveling around you may want to go sprint or verizon because they have better travel coverage.

There is a white coat ceremony usually a month or two into school and they'll let you know don't worry.

The new building should be done and it should have a sweet workout place, if not the one they have now has treadmills and ellipticals and stair steppers with free weights and machines.

Insurance I'm not sure but there is a school plan...........

Snow tires I don't think you will need to buy, just my iowa boy opinion!

Mas questions:

How much after tuition/fees do you really have if you take out the entire amount that the budget allows? Thanks

Munchkin6245 said:
Mas questions:

How much after tuition/fees do you really have if you take out the entire amount that the budget allows? Thanks

Well first I must say I feel very relieved!!! I've made my decision and I'll be joining all you fine people in Des Moines next August!!!!! YAY!!!! :D :D :thumbup: I'm excited to be attending DMU and much like everybody else, can't wait for school to start!

Munchkin...here is what I was given as the numbers for last year (they do change from year to year - and the new numbers won't be about until sometime in January - I think):

Tuition and Fees: $26350
Rent/Food/Utilities/Clothing/Personal: $10907
Travel/Transportation: $2751
Health Ins.: $1550
Books & Equip: $3898
TOTAL: $45,456 (maximum you can borrow)

Now remember this is for a 9 mo. period...they don't budget in your bills for the time you aren't in school! So...here are the numbers I came up with...take them for what they are (my estimates):

9 mo year: $1517/mo. (to cover spending/bills etc....non-school stuffs)
12 mo year: $1138/mo. (to cover spending/bills etc....non-school stuffs)

Either way you figure it, it's gonna be tight! I'll be eating a lot of Mac-n-Cheese!!!! ;)

Cheers! See you all in the fall!!!!!! :thumbup:

DOitright - I see you have a degree in Med Tech. I am a med tech as well, since 2001. Thanks for the info.

remember also that there's a technology fee that as of next year would be integrated into tuition instead of being listed under books/equipment, leading up to a figure of $29k to $30k for tuition

here's the link to their goodies (it shows the tech. fee as already integrated into tuition)

http://www.dmu.edu/FA/budgets/dobudget0405.htm

oh, by the way...

for all you costco lovers there's gona be new costco opening right in Des Moines (10 min from school) this Dec.

Munchkin6245 said:
DOitright - I see you have a degree in Med Tech. I am a med tech as well, since 2001. Thanks for the info.

That's great...are you working as a tech right now? I am working in a transfusion lab (blood bank) right now, it's fun...but i'm excited for school! :thumbup:

DOitright said:
That's great...are you working as a tech right now? I am working in a transfusion lab (blood bank) right now, it's fun...but i'm excited for school! :thumbup:

Yes, I work in the medical center in the hematology dept. It's fun at times, but mostly it's a pain. I'm thinking about doing PRN while in school but I guess I need to check it out if it's gonna be possible or not.

DOitright said:
Well first I must say I feel very relieved!!! I've made my decision and I'll be joining all you fine people in Des Moines next August!!!!! YAY!!!! :D :D :thumbup: I'm excited to be attending DMU and much like everybody else, can't wait for school to start!

Munchkin...here is what I was given as the numbers for last year (they do change from year to year - and the new numbers won't be about until sometime in January - I think):

Tuition and Fees: $26350
Rent/Food/Utilities/Clothing/Personal: $10907
Travel/Transportation: $2751
Health Ins.: $1550
Books & Equip: $3898
TOTAL: $45,456 (maximum you can borrow)

Now remember this is for a 9 mo. period...they don't budget in your bills for the time you aren't in school! So...here are the numbers I came up with...take them for what they are (my estimates):

9 mo year: $1517/mo. (to cover spending/bills etc....non-school stuffs)
12 mo year: $1138/mo. (to cover spending/bills etc....non-school stuffs)

Either way you figure it, it's gonna be tight! I'll be eating a lot of Mac-n-Cheese!!!! ;)

Cheers! See you all in the fall!!!!!! :thumbup:

The tuition was in the $29K range for us so the maximum allowable was in the $48k range. Just wanted to keep things straight!

Seth

Hey Everybody!! Just wanted to say hi. I have been waiting for someone to start this thread. I was in the first interview group, so have known for some time now that I was going to DMU. I look forward to meeting you all in August!

-Leah-

Hello all you future fellow class members...

I committed to DMU a couple of weeks ago now and look forward to seeing all of you in August...I actually already live in Iowa, only about 45 minutes from campus so I'll be commuting to school with the occasional night at a Super-8 on nights before tests. That's the plan for now, anyway.

Short version of my life: 35 year old former airline pilot, divorced, no kids, two dogs.

How about you all? If you have any questions about Des Moines or are going to be in the area and want a tour, let me know.

Munchkin6245 said:

Internet is available wirelessly through your laptop at school. As far as from home, you have your choice of dial-up (Des Moines itself has local numbers for most of the national providers), cable through Mediacom, or DSL.

In Des Moines and the nearby suburbs, most national plans/companies offer good coverage. If you plan on traveling around in Iowa or live a little ways out of town, US Cellular is the way to go as you'll rapidly drive out of range of Sprint's/Verizon's/T-mobile's cell towers if you wander off I-35 and I-80. US Cellular's plans aren't quite as competitive as those offered by the major national players.

Yes there is, but I forget exactly when during that first year it is.

Yes, and very nice ones at that. I will probably let my health club membership lapse when I start.

Well, that depends on what you are driving. Unlike the northwest, Iowa is pretty flat and if you have a 4x4 or front wheel drive car, a good set of all season radials should be good enough for you. If you have a rear wheel drive car a pair of studless snow tires like blizzaks + a couple of bags of sand in the trunk would probably be a good idea.

The school offers health coverage through Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield. This is the same insurer that I bought coverage through as an individual following my furlough. At age 35 with no dependants it is costing me $171 a month in premiums - this just went up from the $141 a month I'd been paying for the past two years. Guess I'm getting old :laugh: . Not sure if I'll maintain that as it is or if getting tied into DMU's group number will be of any advantage to me.

EvoDevo said:
Excellent post, Old mil. Thanks!

hey evo, what's the pic of in your avatar? My eyes are still fuzzy from sleeping. :)

thanks for the info Old mil.

Here's a short bio on me:
25yo, SWF, TX resident, Med Tech - hemo dept., 1 cat, no kids

I'm thinking I may need a roommate, so if anybody is also thinking of getting a roommate (and you aren't crazy :D or allergic to cats) PM me and we can discuss options. :thumbup:

Munchkin6245 said:
hey evo, what's the pic of in your avatar? My eyes are still fuzzy from sleeping. :)

thanks for the info Old mil.

Here's a short bio on me:
25yo, SWF, TX resident, Med Tech - hemo dept., 1 cat, no kids

I'm thinking I may need a roommate, so if anybody is also thinking of getting a roommate (and you aren't crazy :D or allergic to cats) PM me and we can discuss options. :thumbup:
It's the Marine Corps flag. :D

EvoDevo said:
It's the Marine Corps flag. :D

Interesting. Feb 1st must feel like it's so close yet still so far way, just enough to drive you crazy! haha I gave up, I don't need them. :smuggrin:

For all of you getting ready to start at dmu you should know the first substanial about of snow was found on the ground this morning on my way to my car..............

Munchkin6245 said:
Interesting. Feb 1st must feel like it's so close yet still so far way, just enough to drive you crazy! haha I gave up, I don't need them. :smuggrin:
Indeed it does. However, I'm not holding my breath for love from the TX schools. I'm actually planning on attending DMU. It makes planning (and life) so much simpler.

As far as snow....not bad, right? Near the beginning of December? I'll take that.

EvoDevo said:
Indeed it does. However, I'm not holding my breath for love from the TX schools. I'm actually planning on attending DMU. It makes planning (and life) so much simpler.

As far as snow....not bad, right? Near the beginning of December? I'll take that.

Yeah there isn't even that much I just know there are some (munchkin) who are excited to see/be in it...........being from iowa I equate snow with snow days........which makes me want to go back to bed and not go to school!

cremaster2007 said:
Yeah there isn't even that much I just know there are some (munchkin) who are excited to see/be in it...........being from iowa I equate snow with snow days........which makes me want to go back to bed and not go to school!

Yes, I went to the webcam, saw the snow, and started dancing around my apt. b/c of it :D It's so pretty, I want to touch it. :p And there is no laughing about my love for snow! I'll probably hate it next year but for now, it is pretty.

glad to see that you aren't driving yourself crazy over the match like some people I know are. We'll have much more fun at DMU anyways :cool:

cremaster2007 said:
Oh, I think that snow is exciting.....until you have to live in it. ;) So how sweet is this new building gonna be? Y'all get to enjoy it too, right?

Munchkin6245 said:
glad to see that you aren't driving yourself crazy over the match like some people I know are. We'll have much more fun at DMU anyways :cool:
I'm not crazy now, but just wait until late January. :scared: ;)

Yeah, I've not seen the awesome-ness of the staff/students matched anywhere else. I'd have no huge complaints about going to DMU...and something tells me that I'll have lots of fun in the process. :cool:

EvoDevo said:
Oh, I think that snow is exciting.....until you have to live in it. ;) So how sweet is this new building gonna be? Y'all get to enjoy it too, right?

Unfortunately I will be on rotations in michigan, but I think I am going to try to swing back this way 4th year so maybe then I can get into the new weight room and work on staying super tuff

25yo male...born in NV, raised in CA, undergrad in HI, currently in MN...moving to IA...I seem to be regressing in my choices of location. Start off in NV...go to CA / HI and now to IA. I should have stopped somewhere in the middle! ;)

I am currently working as a med tech in the transfusion lab at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester! It's good experience, but I'm excited to be going back to school!

I'll be making the small move down to IA with my girlfriend, who will be graduating with a degree in Physical Therapy in October.

The fun stuff:

I love to play the guitar, so if anybody would like to get together and make some noise once school starts, let me know. I play mostlly acoustic music.

I brew my own beer, and love to try different breweries. I have been to the Racoon River Brewery in Des Moines and was pleased! ALthough I couldn't enjoy all their brews (my intervew was the next day) I enjoyed a couple, and am looking forward to the rest!!!

That's about it...I'm excited to be joining all of you in Des Moines, for what I'm sure will be a relaxing, stress-free, laid-back experience for us all! ;)

Justin

cremaster2007 said:
Unfortunately I will be on rotations in michigan, but I think I am going to try to swing back this way 4th year so maybe then I can get into the new weight room and work on staying super tuff
You have to keep Portier happy, right? :D :D