*\*\*\* Official COMP Class of 2009 */*/*/*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
snuffles04 said:
Does anyone know what books will be required first year? (I really want to order my books online). I've heard Netter's anatomy is required and possibly the "dead body book." Some isac people said that Grant's dissector wasnt worth it... but I don't know much else... please help!

see my response to your other post in the Osteopathic forum. and fyi, the term 'required' is a relative term. no one's going to check and make sure you bought it. if you're going to use it, buy it, if not, save your money. the rest i've already answered. hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad.

So, looking at the orientation schedule, I noticed we have something called "structural exams" on the first day of orientation... an exam? Wow, they get us started early! ;) Anyone know what the heck this "exam" is about, and its purpose (like, just seeing where the class as a whole stands in anatomy?)

No No No. The structural exam is where we as second years examine you first years to make sure you have no abnormalities that may contraindicate some osteopathic manipulation. It has no bearing whatsoever on your status as medical students; it basically lets you know what you can or cannot let other students practice on you because during OMM your classmates are who you learn/practice maneuvers on. It's no big deal, really.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheFish005 said:
No No No. The structural exam is where we as second years examine you first years to make sure you have no abnormalities that may contraindicate some osteopathic manipulation. It has no bearing whatsoever on your status as medical students; it basically lets you know what you can or cannot let other students practice on you because during OMM your classmates are who you learn/practice maneuvers on. It's no big deal, really.

Ah! That makes sense, Fish. Thanks for answering that for me! :D

I posted the same thread in the regular osteopathic forum. No one has replied to me yet.

What do you guys have for health insurance? How's the plan that Western U offers? Is $648 per plan year worth the money with $150 deductible? (And, what does it mean by "one-time deductible"?) I don't want to spend too much time shopping around for the "best" insurance plans, so, I don't know if it's good to just go for the one offered by Western U.

p.s. My prior insurance plans include being a dependent under my parents' plan. In college, I had student health insurance.

Thank you!

The school health insurance plan has seemed to improved a little bit in terms of extra features here and there, but for the most part, it is cheap insurance that is best if you never have to use it. I use it and add the optional major medical insurance part. Usually, I don't have a need for health care, but you never know when something will come up.

Doctor G said:
I posted the same thread in the regular osteopathic forum. No one has replied to me yet.

What do you guys have for health insurance? How's the plan that Western U offers? Is $648 per plan year worth the money with $150 deductible? (And, what does it mean by "one-time deductible"?) I don't want to spend too much time shopping around for the "best" insurance plans, so, I don't know if it's good to just go for the one offered by Western U.

p.s. My prior insurance plans include being a dependent under my parents' plan. In college, I had student health insurance.

Thank you!

melancholy said:
The school health insurance plan has seemed to improved a little bit in terms of extra features here and there, but for the most part, it is cheap insurance that is best if you never have to use it. I use it and add the optional major medical insurance part. Usually, I don't have a need for health care, but you never know when something will come up.

Thanks. Anyone else have any input on this?
Also, I just noticed that Western U has just updated its website for a new look. It looks colorful and it has a lot of green; I like it~

Our thread is dying....lets keep it going! I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually pretty excited for school to start :eek:

This is the last time I will post this question, cause it's my third time today but each time I keep finding a better thread to post it in. I apologize! Were any of you accepted through COMP's early decision program or know of students who were? I would really like some stats. I did some searching and found one student who was accepted like 4 years ago along with one other student (apparently they were the only 2 to apply and they both got in). I was also unable to find any students through SDN that had interviewed in August. Any feedback would be appreciated!

The early decision program sounds vaguely familiar, but I cannot remember off the top of my head whether anyone in my original class had been accepted through that. There is plenty of time to be accepted though in case someone does not get in through that program.

truckibear said:
This is the last time I will post this question, cause it's my third time today but each time I keep finding a better thread to post it in. I apologize! Were any of you accepted through COMP's early decision program or know of students who were? I would really like some stats. I did some searching and found one student who was accepted like 4 years ago along with one other student (apparently they were the only 2 to apply and they both got in). I was also unable to find any students through SDN that had interviewed in August. Any feedback would be appreciated!

on this thread for a couple of months I can now join in. Just got plucked off of the waitlist and now that the reality is sinking in that I will start in two weeks, not 1 year, as I had resigned myself to I am just a little nervous and excited. Well I look forward to meeting everyone soon.
Ron

Does anyone have a class schedule for the fall term??

DRJME said:
Does anyone have a class schedule for the fall term??
It is not possible to post it here... PM me your email and I'll email it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that this is very very late, but I just got pulled off the waitlist!!! Is anyone looking for a roommate or know of a good place to look for an apartment?? I will be calling COMP's student services today as I hear they have some information about housing.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Hello my fellow classmates. For the orientation on Wednesday, August 3rd, it says that we meet at Prem Reddy Hall, and it follows with the words "Health Professions Center". So the Prem Reddy Hall is in the Health Profession Center building on Western U campus? Thanks.

Doctor G said:
Hello my fellow classmates. For the orientation on Wednesday, August 3rd, it says that we meet at Prem Reddy Hall, and it follows with the words "Health Professions Center". So the Prem Reddy Hall is in the Health Profession Center building on Western U campus? Thanks.

Yup, the Health Profession Center or HPC is the one at the end of the strip with the commons. The library is on the other end of the strip. The building adjacent/across Palomares from the HPC is the HSC, Health Science Center. That's where anatomy/OMM lab is.

The SSC (Student services center?) is the building towards the end of the strip next to the little park with the basketball goal. That's where registrar/student affairs/admissions is.

Tricks of the trade!

Alright I have been searching SDN and Western's website, with no success. So I was wondering if anyone could answer some of these questions...

1. Early patient contact? Simulated patients, volunteer clinics, etc.?
2. What is this preceptor thing?
3. From what I read the 1st year cur. is only really lec./lab based, am I wrong?
4. What are the lecture and lab class sizes (professor:student ratio)?
5. Are there volunteer options also maybe abroad volunteer options?
6. If you are a current student or alumni what do/did you think and any other interesting stuff related to the school would be great.

Ok thanks in advance. I was just getting frustrated searching with no success and western's website is pretty slow and lacking information.

DODO said:
1. Early patient contact? Simulated patients, volunteer clinics, etc.?

- Western has been increasingly incorporating clinical medicine skills including physician-patient interactions into the curriculum, even earlier in the first semester. These clinical medicine experiences pretty much span the whole first two years on campus. There are also several different volunteer opportunities including health screenings in Pomona as well as a free health clinic that students rotate at in Monclair.

DODO said:
2. What is this preceptor thing?
- Not sure what you are referring to, but it could pertain to the ability to set up a clinical rotation with a specific physician (a preceptor) rather than a general hospital rotation where you may end up working with a number of different physicians at a time. There are plusses and minuses to these varied experiences.

DODO said:
3. From what I read the 1st year cur. is only really lec./lab based, am I wrong?
- If you are referring to the traditional lecture style, lectures are still a good part of the curriculum although problem-based learning modules have been incorporated into various parts of the curriculum.

DODO said:
4. What are the lecture and lab class sizes (professor:student ratio)?
- Not sure what this current class' size is, but it is probably about 200-220. I have no clue what the faculty to student ratio is but I believe it is not a big deal in lectures. As far as anatomy lab goes, there are student facilitators that take the summer anatomy course to help out as well as a number of different anatomy professors. In OMM lab, there are faculty as well as teaching fellows and teaching assistants to help learn the material.
DODO said:
5. Are there volunteer options also maybe abroad volunteer options?
-As I said before, there are several volunteer opportunities available and even more depending on how active a student is in promoting an activity. As far as volunteer activities abroad, some students work with various organizations such as the Flying Doctors of Mercy (LIGA) and will fly down to Mexico a few times a year to help at various smaller towns where there is no other medical care nearby. There are also supposedly international rotation opportunities for fourth year medical students.

DODO said:
6. If you are a current student or alumni what do/did you think and any other interesting stuff related to the school would be great.
- I would suggest to try and search through the older SDN message threads for Western as many pre-med and medical students have asked and answered questions, some of which may or may not pertain to what you're interested in learning. Furthermore, I would suggest if you are really interested in the school, call them up and ask to stop by for a tour which will allow you to chat with a student, tour around, talk to other students, and sit in on lectures. There is also OMAC (osteopathic medical awareness conference) which happens once or twice a year and it basically is a half saturday where pre-med students and/or families come to listen to a few presentations by faculty/administration/staff, take tours of the campus, eat lunch with other students, and have the opportunity to ask questions to a panel consisting of students/faculty/administration.

Hopefully my limited information (some of which may be slightly outdated) will help you on your quest to obtain more knowledge about our school. Good luck!

Ok thanks in advance. I was just getting frustrated searching with no success and western's website is pretty slow and lacking information.

Hey everyone at COMP. I am coming to interview on the 6th of October (thursday) and I was wondering if anyone had an extra room or somewhere I could stay the night of Wednesday the 5th of October. Let me know if anyone could help. Thanks. :)

Cory M.

[email protected]

If any of you 2009ers happen to take a break and read this before monday, I was curious to know of anyone from my class has sent you a copy of last year's practical answer key. If not, I still have it and would be happy to send it out so you can see what the profs have tagged in the past.

Hello everyone,

I've been accepted to COMP for the class of 2010, and would be in the Northwest Track. I was quite excited about this when I initially applied because the list of rotation sites they sent me had many great Seattle hospitals on it. Then, a few months back I spoke with Dirk Foley who told me that unfortunately many of those hospitals were not going to be available, but that Virginia Mason in Seattle was going to be open, as well as another group of hospitals in Tacoma.

I just talked to him again today to see what was going on, and now he is saying that Virginia Mason is "drying up" and that it is likely they will not be able to secure any rotation sites in Seattle.

My question is to class of 2009 Northwest trackers: Does this news come as a suprise to you at all? What sorts of statements/promises were made when you signed on to this track?

I am just a little concerned that things obviously haven't been worked out or are still up in the air, and that the only western washington sites they tentatively have are in Tacoma (less than ideal location and hospitals.)

PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

Thanks,

Jake

JakeHarley said:
Hello everyone,

I've been accepted to COMP for the class of 2010, and would be in the Northwest Track. I was quite excited about this when I initially applied because the list of rotation sites they sent me had many great Seattle hospitals on it. Then, a few months back I spoke with Dirk Foley who told me that unfortunately many of those hospitals were not going to be available, but that Virginia Mason in Seattle was going to be open, as well as another group of hospitals in Tacoma.

I just talked to him again today to see what was going on, and now he is saying that Virginia Mason is "drying up" and that it is likely they will not be able to secure any rotation sites in Seattle.

My question is to class of 2009 Northwest trackers: Does this news come as a suprise to you at all? What sorts of statements/promises were made when you signed on to this track?

I am just a little concerned that things obviously haven't been worked out or are still up in the air, and that the only western washington sites they tentatively have are in Tacoma (less than ideal location and hospitals.)

PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

Thanks,

Jake

hey, jake
i'm really curious about this, too, because i would want to do my rotations primarily in portland and seattle. i know there were initially hoping to have lots of sites at eastmoreland here in pdx, which went out of business last year. i'd love to spend my last two years in the pacific northwest, but i don't want to do it at cr@ppy hospitals in places like yakima.

also, do you have the option of declining the northwest track acceptance and just doing everything in california? from what i can tell, information about the nw track has been really scarce here on sdn.

TheFish005 said:
If any of you 2009ers happen to take a break and read this before monday, I was curious to know of anyone from my class has sent you a copy of last year's practical answer key. If not, I still have it and would be happy to send it out so you can see what the profs have tagged in the past.

stop trying to sabotage us Mr. Fish! I know how you changed the answers on the powerpoint just to f- with us.

wanna go surfin'?

premyo2002 said:
stop trying to sabotage us Mr. Fish! I know how you changed the answers on the powerpoint just to f- with us.

wanna go surfin'?

I wouldn't dream of changing the answers. heh, I've probably forgotten most of the right ones anyway, let alone what i could possibly change them too! and no, suring wont help me pass the upcoming OMM midterm & cardio final.

Congratulations Comp Class of 2009 for completing your first semester of med school!!! BTW be safe and dont drink and drive. BTW be safe and don't go anywhere with OMWT! The guy is a MADMAN!!! He is also a moderator, so he could probably kick my a$$ off this thread if he wanted to...but he also knows if he ever wants to come to Vegas he might have to deal with me and my famiglia. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cardiotonic
TUN-COM
OMS-I

cardiotonic said:
Congratulations Comp Class of 2009 for completing your first semester of med school!!! BTW be safe and dont drink and drive. BTW be safe and don't go anywhere with OMWT! The guy is a MADMAN!!! He is also a moderator, so he could probably kick my a$$ off this thread if he wanted to...but he also knows if he ever wants to come to Vegas he might have to deal with me and my famiglia. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cardiotonic
TUN-COM
OMS-I
haha congrats to you too you crazy man.. i hope you are enjoying your time away from LV.... Enjoy! And dont think your classmates dont show me the pictures of what I am missing out on down there. And I see you in the backround having too much fun!! ;)

OnMyWayThere said:
haha congrats to you too you crazy man.. i hope you are enjoying your time away from LV.... Enjoy! And dont think your classmates dont show me the pictures of what I am missing out on down there. And I see you in the backround having too much fun!! ;)
Woa woa woa, Who is dishing those out??? Have you seen the Halloween pics? Ohh no, my career is ended :rolleyes: :laugh: No more study guides for you my friend :rolleyes: :D Happy Holidays!!!

cardio
TUN-COM
OMS-I

cardiotonic said:
Woa woa woa, Who is dishing those out??? Have you seen the Halloween pics? Ohh no, my career is ended :rolleyes: :laugh: No more study guides for you my friend :rolleyes: :D Happy Holidays!!!

cardio
TUN-COM
OMS-I
Hey I decided not to use the study guides after I learned of your class average for your anatomy test :laugh: Anyway - back to enjoying time off. :thumbup: