*\*\*\* Official COMP Class of 2009 */*/*/*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
seev99 said:
isn't it too late to apply for air force hpsp this year?

No... but do it NOW!!! There are some slots left for the 4 year scholarship. I am currently app NAVY, but if you have any questions I can find out the answer or point you in the right direction.

Congrats on your acceptance to COMP!
-Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

seev99 said:
anybody heard anything about western/comp's 2005 residency matches?

They were just posted, see the sticky thread.

You have to look at the top of the message threads for residency matches in the "Pre-Osteopathic" forums section, not the osteopathic forums. This is where the proper sticky thread is attached I believe.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

Once you hit the right thread, scroll down to 2005 for COMP. There are still a few matches that are missing on the list, but it is mostly complete according to one of my classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ryan said:
They were just posted, see the sticky thread.

What is the sticky thread? Can you please refer me to it more directly? I am a relatively new user of this forum.

Just click on the html link in the above post

seev99 said:
did y'all get that email with the new tuition...$35,200..
Ugh. Yeah, I got it. *sigh*

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Glad to see you finally decided to join the DARKSIDE!

You may now refer to me as your "Dark lord-master".

sw014.gif

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Glad to see you finally decided to join the DARKSIDE!

sw018.gif

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I heard they send out a packet to find roommates in your class, but I havent received anything?
Anyone know about it??????????

There is no way I am doing a summer class. I will be in Hawaii living it up for my last hoorah.

See ya all soon! Only 4 months to go.

ncremer said:
Is anyone looking for a roommate? I heard they send out a packet to find roommates in your class, but I havent received anything?
Anyone know about it??????????

There is no way I am doing a summer class. I will be in Hawaii living it up for my last hoorah.

See ya all soon! Only 4 months to go.

I haven't heard about Western helping us find roommates. I'm going to need one though. I think I want to live in the Clairemont colleges area even if it's a little more expensive. But I'm going up there soon to check the area out.

Does anyone know what the maximum financial aid you can barrow is? Thanks

surfingD.O. said:
Does anyone know what the maximum financial aid you can barrow is? Thanks

For Federal: Subsidized stafford is $8500 per year
Unsubsidized Stafford is $36667 per year
The federal loans can be taken out for all four years, but they dont add up to enough money to live off of.

How far is Claremont from the school? I have only been to that area once, so I have no idea where Claremont even is compared to anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Claremont is close.. anywhere from 5-15 minutes away.

I going to Pomona on Saturday to check out the area. If anyone is interested in coming along let me know. I'll be driving up from San Diego.

ncremer said:
The federal loans can be taken out for all four years, but they dont add up to enough money to live off of.

How far is Claremont from the school? I have only been to that area once, so I have no idea where Claremont even is compared to anything else.

i live on the border of claremont and pomona and it takes about 10 minutes to get to school

el sereno: check it out

Hey Surfin DO. Im possibly looking for a roomate, so let me know if you find a decent area or set of apartments. I have a good friend interviewing next week, so I might be staying with him if he's accepted. I saw that the WesternU website did have some sort of roomate link under the student section, but I never checked it out.

Question for everyone: I really like WesternU, but may be deciding between attending AZCOM. Has anyone picked WU/COMP over AZCOM and for what reasons? They have pretty impressive board scores, but thats about it. Kinda confused about their preceptorship thing too.

Hello All!

Yea, I'm looking for a roomate too! However, I'm most likely to be part of the ISAC program. Thus, I gotta be moved in prolly by late May. Anyone in the same boat?

bjay27 said:
Question for everyone: I really like WesternU, but may be deciding between attending AZCOM. Has anyone picked WU/COMP over AZCOM and for what reasons? They have pretty impressive board scores, but thats about it. Kinda confused about their preceptorship thing too.

This topic was discussed extensively a few weeks ago with myself participated in a large portion of it.

take a look
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=181891

Hope this helps in your decision making process. Good luck.

I need a roomate too, but Im not coming until July ( I have to have one last hoorah before I commit). ANyone interested in getting a house or something and having multiple roomates, it could be fun.

bjay27 said:
Hey Surfin DO. Im possibly looking for a roomate, so let me know if you find a decent area or set of apartments. I have a good friend interviewing next week, so I might be staying with him if he's accepted. I saw that the WesternU website did have some sort of roomate link under the student section, but I never checked it out.

I'll let you know what I find out. Later

If there are any MSIVs posting here, does anyone know the name of the student who matched to RIC for PM&R. Only 2 DOs matched this year and I would love the contact info for the other one. By the match list, I know they go to Western/COMP.

Thanks. Just PM me please.

normalforce said:
If there are any MSIVs posting here, does anyone know the name of the student who matched to RIC for PM&R. Only 2 DOs matched this year and I would love the contact info for the other one. By the match list, I know they go to Western/COMP.

Thanks. Just PM me please.

Your PM mailbox is full.. can't send any information.

Hey bjay27, just curious... when'd you interview at western?

ncremer said:

is there any money else where to borrow? considering tuition is almost 36k, 8.5k is not going to cut it at all unless you already live at home

So has anyone heard from financial aid? If not, when is the expected date roughly?

newlife said:
So has anyone heard from financial aid? If not, when is the expected date roughly?

I have the same question!
I haven't heard anything since I sent my second deposit (around a couple of weeks ago)... Do they wait till you send in the medical exam/immunizations thing?

snuffles04 said:
I have the same question!
I haven't heard anything since I sent my second deposit (around a couple of weeks ago)... Do they wait till you send in the medical exam/immunizations thing?

I called them yesterday wondering the same thing. I also sent my 2nd deposit a couple of weeks ago. And, I, too did not complete my physical and immunizations. The financial aid lady said the award letters will come LATE APRIL :( There was no word on ISAC as well. I wanna know soon cuz I gotta find housing!

i got into COMP a couple weeks ago, yay!

before i got in i'd been emailing dr. kuehn about ISAC like a mad woman...i went in to see him the other day and he said he'll be sending out the ISAC packets in a few weeks. he looked like he was really busy with something, so no worries, i'm sure if you've contacted him you'll be fine.

i strongly suggest looking for housing NOW whether you're in or not.

yay, i'm excited. seriously, i got my acceptance letter the day i got back from cabo san lucas, talk about a welcome home, hehehe.

:thumbup:

hotlikebutter said:
is there any money else where to borrow? considering tuition is almost 36k, 8.5k is not going to cut it at all unless you already live at home

There's definitely more money, and you'll definitely need it. you'll need to get a alternative loan from an outside loan company such as citibank. when you get your award letter from financial aid it will include the max amount allowed for stafford loans, plus an amount on how much you'll need to suppliment. they figure a budget for us including living costs which is about 52K/year (this year... slightly higher next year with the tuition increase). the outside loan companies are NOT subsidized loans, but they're not too much worse than the gov't loans intrest-wise, and they'll be in deferement while you're still in school just like the gov't loans. there's a list of the possible alternative loan lenders on the comp website under financial aid. and none of us current students have received our award letters yet either, so don't worry, it'll come in plenty of time.

-E-
COMP 2008

I finally got a letter in the mail today (since submitting the second deposit), saying the same general stuff - get your medical exam and vaccinations by August 3rd, and send official transcripts bla bla bla... It says more specific info will be mailed to us as well (who knows when that will be...)

Places to live. The Plaza seems great for convenience sake. It would be nice to walk to school. Prices are from 825 for a studio to 1300 for a 2bd/2ba. I also checked out Claremont, it's a little more pricy but a much nicer area. The Village seems like a cool place to hang out or study.

I also like the neighborhoods at the base of the mountains with parks and trails in their backyards.

COngrats to the incoming MSI's!!

I am currently a student at COMP, and I am looking for a roommate for next year.
My apt is in Upland, about 10-15 mins drive from campus, rent is 575 per mo. not including utilities. Contact me if you're interested, [email protected]

Hi, i believe i will be a fellow comper- although i cannot officially say it yet, i just had my interview, i feel cautiously confident. anyway- thinking of living in diamond bar, anyone hear about it? environment is huge for me and the surrounding areas of western didnt seem that exciting...chino any good?

I got my letter yesterday! Still have an interview at TUCOM-MI scheduled, but I might cancel...just can't see myself leaving so cal with COMP close by. I won't be doing ISAC (have a real job - gotta earn some $$ while I can). I might need a roommate if anyone is a clean freak like me.

Are there any golfers coming this fall?

If anyone is interested Western does have a roommate match you can do to try and find a roommate. You have to get in to Ban web, you can talk to Ann Koch to get a log in for it.

Congrats to all of you who just found out. Way to go.

Are there any females looking for a roomate?

yo joe... i'm trying to get the golf bug out while i still can so i'm golfing like twice a week if you want to the the courses before school starts.. pm me.

Does anyone know the class schedule for next year (like when we start)? The only thing I can find is the 2004 schedule, and they started the first week of August. Looks like there a lot of holidays...Columbus Day, Wed-Fri of Thanksgiving, MLK Day, President's Day

Also, anyone know of a good anatomy or biochem book to help me get ready? I've never had a class in either.

antt said:
i got into COMP a couple weeks ago, yay!

before i got in i'd been emailing dr. kuehn about ISAC like a mad woman...i went in to see him the other day and he said he'll be sending out the ISAC packets in a few weeks. he looked like he was really busy with something, so no worries, i'm sure if you've contacted him you'll be fine.

i strongly suggest looking for housing NOW whether you're in or not.

yay, i'm excited. seriously, i got my acceptance letter the day i got back from cabo san lucas, talk about a welcome home, hehehe.

:thumbup:

Congrats on the acceptance! Look forward to seeing you...in ISAC! :)

Yea I called Dr Kuehn and he said I could expect to receive the packet next week and its now all a matter of responding whether we get in or not. I'm crossing my fingers on a potential place for the summer as well. Start looking cuz its so much fun...uh yea.

Got the medical physical coming in 2 weeks and just waiting for the financial aid stuff.

Man, I wanna just be all set so I can go traveling.

I found about this recently:
http://www.cathay-usa.com/offers/aap/subdefault.asp

$1200 to travel up to 17 asian countries within 21 days!.....Wanna travel b4 killing my brain!

Yeah, Dr. Kuehn is pretty busy right now because we're wrapping up the Neurosensory system, which he coordinated. He's probably putting off ISAC till at least this coming Monday after the final exam. I'm gonna be around this summer either as a facilitator for ISAC or as an anatomy tutor. So hope to see you guys here. Best of luck with the rest of school, work, or whatever is you're doing before med school starts!

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:

Yea I called Dr Kuehn and he said I could expect to receive the packet next week and its now all a matter of responding whether we get in or not. I'm crossing my fingers on a potential place for the summer as well. Start looking cuz its so much fun...uh yea.

Got the medical physical coming in 2 weeks and just waiting for the financial aid stuff.

$1200 to travel up to 17 asian countries within 21 days!.....Wanna travel b4 killing my brain!

joe6102 said:
Does anyone know the class schedule for next year (like when we start)? The only thing I can find is the 2004 schedule, and they started the first week of August. Looks like there a lot of holidays...Columbus Day, Wed-Fri of Thanksgiving, MLK Day, President's Day

Also, anyone know of a good anatomy or biochem book to help me get ready? I've never had a class in either.

there are a bunch of holidays but you'll spend most if not all of them studying for an exam the monday after! we even had a huge neuro test the monday after spring break...

i think it gets better 2nd year though

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:

It sounds like that's a lot of "on-the-run" time while you travel which I doubt you want. I just got back from Bali and Singapore for 8 days and it cost about $1000 (airfare, hotels and transport). It was well worth it and we had a lot of relaxing/party time. Give them a try too. I think it's called Asian Affairs. Have a great time. I took this semester off undergrad and have been traveling so if you need any advice, feel free to PM me! :thumbup:

you could also try to go on expedia and test different dates to see if there are deals... i just booked my ticket last week to head off to thailand, hong kong, and taiwan for 3 weeks; 950 roundtrip.

OnMyWayThere said:
It sounds like that's a lot of "on-the-run" time while you travel which I doubt you want. I just got back from Bali and Singapore for 8 days and it cost about $1000 (airfare, hotels and transport). It was well worth it and we had a lot of relaxing/party time. Give them a try too. I think it's called Asian Affairs. Have a great time. I took this semester off undergrad and have been traveling so if you need any advice, feel free to PM me! :thumbup:

FowlersGap said:
there are a bunch of holidays but you'll spend most if not all of them studying for an exam the monday after! we even had a huge neuro test the monday after spring break...

i think it gets better 2nd year though

In the immortal words of my anonymous 2nd year COMPanion.

"Last: if ANYONE tells you 2nd year is easier, hit them. They're lying. If you're like me, you hate sugar-coating things...if not, sorry to put a cloud over things."

Welcome to all the new COMPers!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
In the immortal words of my anonymous 2nd year COMPanion.

"Last: if ANYONE tells you 2nd year is easier, hit them. They're lying. If you're like me, you hate sugar-coating things...if not, sorry to put a cloud over things."

Welcome to all the new COMPers!

2nd year is DIFFERENT from 1st year... in some ways it can be easier, other ways it is a lot more on your plate to deal with. You no longer have to deal with multiple ongoing classes and Monday morning exams every week.. or neuro, but you end up having to balance systems courses with extracurricular activities, board studying, and rotations planning.

All this being said, an upperclassman once told me that the worst day on rotations is better than the best day sitting in the lecture hall. It certainly is a lot more fun and challenging to be "out there", but everyone has to pay their dues the first two years on campus.

Officially in for the class of 2009!! So I am desp trying to find a female roomie asap cuz im leaving the country in 3 weeks adn wont be back till the end of june. i live in san diego so if there is anyone else local and looking for a roomie let me know! oh and im pleased to hear we have some poker players- i feel like we can manage some sort of social life during first year.....i hope =)

Negasourus said:
Officially in for the class of 2009!! So I am desp trying to find a female roomie asap cuz im leaving the country in 3 weeks adn wont be back till the end of june. i live in san diego so if there is anyone else local and looking for a roomie let me know! oh and im pleased to hear we have some poker players- i feel like we can manage some sort of social life during first year.....i hope =)

I am looking for a female roomie as well. Unfortunately I have no clue about the area. I am looking for someone who loves to go out dancing and party, but knows when to study. I am outgoing, and live an active lifestyle. (THis sounds like I am taking out a personal add, now all I need to add is my dimensions and eye and hair color :) ). Since I have no idea about the are I am open to living most anywhere, as long as it isnt scary.

WHen is the the housing on campus suppose to open up for students? Anyone know?

Hi everyone! just sent in my first 1K out of approx. 220K that i will owing in 4 years :eek: Anywayz, i have no clue about where to live or if the school helps you find housing. I have a car but i think the traffic is suppose to be pretty bad to commute daily. Any suggestions?