*\*\*\* Official COMP Class of 2009 */*/*/*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jUxTaPoSiTiOn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen an 'Official COMP 2009' thread as the other schools have so I decided to start it. I know there are many of you peeps out there. I guess we'll be known on sdn as the SILENT BUT DEADLY class :D Hehe

I'm excited to start (the crazy first semester work load...WOOHOO!) and now thinking bout a place to live. The Plaza close to campus could be feasible, although many people don't like it, but I did talk with a student who lived there for 2 years (and DID have a car). He liked the fact that you could wake up ad walk straight to class the first 2 years.

Anyone interested in the ISAC program? I asked to be 'put on the list'. The prof said he'll give more info about it in APRIL. More waiting...yay. If I do get into the program I was deciding whether or not to get a roomie or fly solo, to stay in Claremont, Chino Hills or stay in Pomona. Since the ISAC homies start early I dunno if they utilize the Western roomate finder. Thus it might be a little less easier to find a roomie. So...anyone interested in the ISAC also? and if so, looking for a roomie? :)

Looking forward to meeting you all. We gotta help each other :D

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this thread sticks longer than the other two for the 2009 class.

I would definitely recommend ISAC if you can. It was a rough summer but I thanked myself every day of the Fall semester for doing it.

There are MCAT, GPA and previous Anatomy prerequisites but the faculty are not strict about them. If you really want to come next summer, just ask Dr. Kuehn, the Anatomy course facilitator.

Claremont, La Verne, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, and Diamond Bar are nice places to live around here. But if you like to study at home, find a place that's quiet.

well...i'm not officially attached to this list yet, but when i called the school today, i was told to be expecting a very pleasent letter in the mail tommorrow :) . currently=crossing my toes, haha

Members don't see this ad :)
surfdoc-

CONGRATS in advance! I called the office and talked to Gloria (the lady handling my file) before I received my acceptance and she too told me that I should expect something nice in the mail.

Yesterday I got my "we received your 1k now please give us the other 1K and your proof of vaccinations"...more steps closer...woohoo!

Hope to see you next year!

I'm glad this post is actually working. I started one a while back and no one really responded. Anyway's I'll be there this fall. I'm still waiting for my second letter requesting the second part of the deposit and the vaccinations. The next six months are going to fly by!

so after my surf session, i came home to a small envelope so for a slight moment i feared the worse, but it ended up being a pleasent letter so i'll be sending in that check on monday. Oh btw...SurfingDO, if you ever want to do a surf session let me know, maybe Trestles?

Hello Everyone,

I just want to drop a note here to get ALL D.O. Students to visit the current MATCH Survey thread--we only have a total of ten days from 4 feb 2005 to collect everyone's input.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...181#post2261181

We all talk about change on these threads, and now you have a chance to actually affect it. Please visit the thread and if you have not already done so, take 2 minutes and fill out the small 9 question survey. This is literally 2 min that can change the future of how we distribute students to programs.

Thanks so much for your time and I love reading the threads here on SDN.

hey future classmates,

I got accepted last month and I'm just waiting for school to start. I hope I get invited to ISAC! Anyways what are you guys doing in the meantime with 6-7 months of waiting :rolleyes: Does anyone know how the class will be distributed? 200 in one class? 100 per class of 2 classes?

Yunie said:
hey future classmates,

I got accepted last month and I'm just waiting for school to start. I hope I get invited to ISAC! Anyways what are you guys doing in the meantime with 6-7 months of waiting :rolleyes: Does anyone know how the class will be distributed? 200 in one class? 100 per class of 2 classes?

Congrats on your acceptance. I look forward to meeting you and hope we BOTH get into ISAC! Oh, did you email Dr. Kuehn to add your name to the list of interested ISACers? I've been keeping busy working for the family business. We have homes for the developmentally disabled. Also trying to see people before I leave for school. Oh, and watching movies! Go see "My Sassy Girl"...its a Korean flick but I can't get enough of it! :thumbup:

Don't wait to be invited. Call Dr. Kuehn.

Congrats to everyone in the class of 2009. Hopefully I'll see you all this coming fall. Reiterating what was said earlier, do not wait for Dr. Kuehn to get around to you for ISAC. You gotta be a bit proactive if you want to make sure you get a spot. Don't worry about the minimum requirements. There were people in last year's ISAC that didn't have the grades, but still did really well in ISAC.

Yunie said:
Is it ok to email?

yes e-mail him and let him know. dr. kuehn is fantastic and will give you all the info. don't wait to be invited, be proactive and ask! it doesn't matter if you don't meet the "requirements".
ISAC is way fun and not too hard if you take it seriously enough. i spent a large part of my summer floating in the pool working on a good tan.

Members don't see this ad :)
that dr. jack said:
i spent a large part of my summer floating in the pool working on a good tan.

And you gave us this song and dance about how you slaved away all summer :eek:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
And you gave us this song and dance about how you slaved away all summer :eek:

shut up, don't let on that it's gonna kick their asses! :D

...and my tan was wicked tae, just not compared to yours. let's stop hijacking their thread and let them get back to figuring out where to live. my vote if LBC, but only because 909 sucks.

So i've finalized my decision to attend COMP in the fall and have decided that until school starts i should become a real bum enjoying the last few months of the real world. anyways...if anyone OC/LA area want to just golf/surf/board PM me and we'll get together.

Is this the new official COMP 2009 thread? I guess it was about time I went to look for it and subscribe myself to stay in the loop. I'll be around...

Congrats to all you that got into COMP!

This is your last summer of freedom, why in the world would you want to do ISAC??? Enjoy the freedom now, it really does suck from here on!

I hope the 90-mile thing don't screw you guys over. I'm glad they didn't have that for my year!

Peace

miglo said:
Congrats to all you that got into COMP!

This is your last summer of freedom, why in the world would you want to do ISAC??? Enjoy the freedom now, it really does suck from here on!

I hope the 90-mile thing don't screw you guys over. I'm glad they didn't have that for my year!

Peace

Whats the 90-mile thing? :confused:

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:
Whats the 90-mile thing? :confused:
\

Way back when I did my 3rd year (2002) we could pretty much do our rotations anywhere. Some people actually based their rotations in MI (a smart idea I must add).

My understanding is that our beloved school decided they want to change this so all your rotations must be WITHIN 90 miles of the school. The plan is to call you guys back one day or something like that for shelf exams and didactics. Now this isn't a terrible idea (Loma Linda and many other do this), but in terms of options for those key electives, it stinks. The intent is to improve the board scores.

One of our saving graces is the fact that Arrowhead is pretty much a COMP hospital. So for many this will not be a problem. But if you guys plan to subspecialize this _may_ be a problem. Only time will tell.

juz got accepted to Western/COMP...holla!!!

:luck:

Congrats! Good feeling to get acceptances!

I have been accepted to both TUCOM and COMP. I had a good feeling about both and I am planning on specializing. Any suggestions? I would be doing the Northwest track for COMP by the way.
This is a cool decision to be making, but it sucks just the same.

As a quick initial question, would you be happy with doing your rotations back in the northwest and then possibly practicing back in that region? I don't remember the exact requirements for the Northwest track, but I believe it is geared to help increase the number of our DO's up in the northwestern states. (And well, it helps increase COMP's presence there as well).

Does COMP give late acceptances? Compared to the other DO schools, we're a tiny group! What's going on?

When you say "late" acceptances, how late are you talking about? It is still only March and some schools may not completely fill a class till a few months before school starts.

anyone know when the class fills up?

count me in on class of 09!

Last year some people interviewed as late as May and were later accepted.

Well I decided on Comp, I cant wait to see everyone in August. I have only been to that area once and that was the day I interviewed. ANy suggestions on the best areas to live? You guys will all have to help me out when I get there. I am going to be one lost moma sitta in that region. I cant wait to get out of the cold of Idaho though.
WHen are the dates of ISAC?

the majority of people who come from out of state live in the chino hills area. claremont is nicer and closer, but more expensive. start looking in those areas

NW Tracker.
Represent'n Sea-town, WA.

Looking for some extremely hot girls to room with. Please post your pictures(lol)
Seriously though, if anyone wants to grab a 2-bed. apt in Chino or whereever the hell a good deal is, Im available. Is there a roomate posting for students?

Im pumped for next year! I got a chance to go to class with the first year med students a month ago and I was really impressed with how chill everyone was! Especialy the dude playing poker online during class! Right on bro! Id love to do the ISAC thing, but I have absoutely no freakin anatomy experience. Am I SOL?

Debating on applying for an AirForce Scholarship to fly my finances for 4 years? Anyone else doing HPSP's?

I have heard that they are pretty lenient in ISAC if you really want in, just call the professor or email him.
I have been thinking about the air force too, do you know if your residency counts as time owed or do you start to make up the amount you owe after residency???

isn't it too late to apply for air force hpsp this year?

bjay27 said:
NW Tracker.
I was really impressed with how chill everyone was! Especialy the dude playing poker online during class! Right on bro!
:laugh: :laugh: you probably saw one of the guys from my crew...the poker crew ;) , yeah we are pretty laid back, but don't get us wrong though we study and play hard too! It's the way it should be. Maybe when you and other first years come to western we can set up a game with you guys....you know gotta pay for books somehow :D good luck with ISAC peeps, it shouldn't be a problem to get in and IT REALLY SAVES YOU A LOT OF TIME DURING THE FIRST SEMESTER!, but I hear that your summer is ****ty though, so it all depends and what you want to do. If you don't do ISAC though, I would strongly recommend doing SAP, at least to get going with the anatomy and biochem, which are probably the most time consuming classes you will have first semester! late

Well I was gonna take out loans for school, but if a buncha suckas wanna lose their money to poker, maybe I wont have to.
I know you guys bust ass studying, Im just givin you a hard time!

No, it isnt to late to apply for HPSPs. I hear the Navy always has a few spots, but if you got all your AirForce papers in within 2 weeks, you'd be competing for about 30 spots left (out of 150 I think).
There are so many caveats and fine print for each specific HPSP scholarship, giving you a concrete answer is tough. The commitment is actually 8 years total, and no your residency does not count (atleast in the AF). The navy will pull you right after your 4th year and do some GMO thing, but the AF makes you apply for residency through them, and depending on your specialty, you can do your years at the AF, or at a civilian site. (AF site will pay you 80K/yr in residency, vs civilian average of 35K/yr). Then its 4yrs active duty you owe them, then 4yrs inactive duty. The AF and Navy have almost never pulled anyone to come back while on inactive duty, they just want the option.
What I hate is the month+ you have to spend each summer doing training or shadowing a Doc. Even before your first year! Check the link below for a ton of more unbiased info.
http://lukeballard.tripod.com/HPSP.html

ISAC is the condensed Anatomy class during the summer right? What's is SAP? Does it really make that much of a difference to take these classes? Is it worth spending the Summer in Pomona? I'm looking forward to starting school and meeting everyone. Mani

Hopefully someone that did SAP last summer can respond. I was in ISAC and I knew some of them.

I got the impression was that they thought it was a waste of time. However, I could see the utility of a science review if you have been out of school for a while. Otherwise do ISAC or enjoy your last summer.

Is this the WUHS 2009 official thread now? Please let me know if there is another.

congrats to all of you for getting in!!! It is very exciting and i am sure you are all anxious to start school in August, I know last year this time, I was counting the days anxiously. But make sure you are ready for a major life style change! Have as much as fun as you can before school starts in August. :thumbup:

surfingD.O. said:
ISAC is the condensed Anatomy class during the summer right? What's is SAP? Does it really make that much of a difference to take these classes? Is it worth spending the Summer in Pomona? I'm looking forward to starting school and meeting everyone. Mani

i didn't do isac and looking back...i still wouldn't spend my summer in pomona!

you'll be spending hours upon hours in the ms1 classroom during the school year and for me spending extra months in the summer out there would be torture!!

sure, the isacers had an advantage for first semester, but now we're all on the same page, isacers got to enjoy their thanksgiving weekend while we had to study for our third exam

this is just my opnion but i think doing anatomy during the school year sets you up into a good studying groove and you're more likely to continue it during second semester for neuro. rather than taking it easier first semester, i think its better to take it easy in the summer.

again; just my opinion; PM me if you have any more questions...

Is anyone interested in driving up to Pomona sometime in the next month or so to check out the area and the school. I live down in San Diego and could drive. later

FowlersGap said:
i didn't do isac and looking back...i still wouldn't spend my summer in pomona!

you'll be spending hours upon hours in the ms1 classroom during the school year and for me spending extra months in the summer out there would be torture!!

sure, the isacers had an advantage for first semester, but now we're all on the same page, isacers got to enjoy their thanksgiving weekend while we had to study for our third exam

this is just my opnion but i think doing anatomy during the school year sets you up into a good studying groove and you're more likely to continue it during second semester for neuro. rather than taking it easier first semester, i think its better to take it easy in the summer.

again; just my opinion; PM me if you have any more questions...

Thanks for the info. I kind of decided the same thing. I want to enjoy my last summer before med school, save money, take a couple of trips, and go to beach a lot because I'll be missing it once I'm in Pomona.

Well I finally get to participate in one of these "officially accepted" threads! :) I got my letter from COMP yesterday. I'm really excited, as this was my first choice. I'm not sure if I'm a class of 2009 student though. I'm going to request a deferral. But if I get shot down I'll see you all this fall! :oops:

Hopefully it is.. *bump* I hate having multiple threads.

anybody heard anything about western/comp's 2005 residency matches?

I've only heard bits and pieces, but students are placing into just about every specialty.. FP, IM, peds, radiology, anesthesia, surgery, ENT, derm, PM&R, etc. at a lot of southern California programs as well as all over. May take a little more time for the accumulated list to come out for our rotations office.

did y'all get that email with the new tuition...$35,200..

seev99 said:
did y'all get that email with the new tuition...$35,200..

Damm, that's some serious bank