*\*\*\* Official COMP Class of 2009 */*/*/*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NCremer- the on campus housing is supposed to open in december; however i dont know that living right next to campus would give me the balanced life im looking for. Partying is something I enjoy, i guess dancing can find its way in partying..

DoctorS for places to live check out claremont, chino hills, upland/ montclair areas- not to far and better atmosphere then pomona

Members don't see this ad.

Negasourus said:
NCremer- the on campus housing is supposed to open in december; however i dont know that living right next to campus would give me the balanced life im looking for. Partying is something I enjoy, i guess dancing can find its way in partying..

DoctorS for places to live check out claremont, chino hills, upland/ montclair areas- not to far and better atmosphere then pomona

I am not sure I would want to live near that area either, I was just curious.
Of course partying and dancing coincide. THe more I party (and thus drink) the more I love to go out dancing.
I sent you an email by the way.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
In the immortal words of my anonymous 2nd year COMPanion.

"Last: if ANYONE tells you 2nd year is easier, hit them. They're lying. If you're like me, you hate sugar-coating things...if not, sorry to put a cloud over things."

Welcome to all the new COMPers!

that's what i've heard too; i meant to say that our schedule is better 2nd year, no exams every single monday like we had first semester

i've heard from all my 2nd year friends that the material is more challenging

Members don't see this ad :)
Negasourus said:

Thanks for the info Negasourus :) btw glad to hear that there are some of us who would like to go out and have fun sometimes :cool:

DoctorS said:
Thanks for the info Negasourus :) btw glad to hear that there are some of us who would like to go out and have fun sometimes :cool:

Yeah, I'm not going to study 6 hours a day outside of class (hopefully I won't have to) - gotta have some down time. I'm also glad to hear there are some people who like to go out. I'm not the dancing type, but if anyone likes hanging out at a sports bar with NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm there.

joe6102 said:
Yeah, I'm not going to study 6 hours a day outside of class (hopefully I won't have to) - gotta have some down time. I'm also glad to hear there are some people who like to go out. I'm not the dancing type, but if anyone likes hanging out at a sports bar with NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm there.
If I end up giving up my TUNV seat for COMP (debating right now), I'm there with ya... (but don't forget, currently the schedule has tests almost every Monday - so it might be Monday night football nights instead!) :thumbup:

For those of you who interviewed a while ago, I interviewed like 3 weeks ago and they told me our curriculum was going to be 100% different from last years-less class time and integrated classes so we wont have as many tests as the kids did last year.....i hope this is the case!

Negasourus said:
For those of you who interviewed a while ago, I interviewed like 3 weeks ago and they told me our curriculum was going to be 100% different from last years-less class time and integrated classes so we wont have as many tests as the kids did last year.....i hope this is the case!

You lucky, lucky bastids.

Did anyone who was interested in ISAC receive any information yet? Today, I received a letter offering its Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program along with an application. Did anyone else who was interested in ISAC receive this too? If not, I'm afraid that they sent me the wrong materials. ITs past office hours so I guess I'll just wait till tomorrow to call.

hey classmates :)

i havent heard anything yet from isac either. havent checked my mail yet today though. dr khuen said we should receive packets middle of april.

anyone know about when we are supposed to receive our financial aid award letter? they also said middle april.

did you guys/gals all find places to live yet? i looked in montclair and laverne over the weekend and have two places that i am very interested in. i figure a close grocery store, places to eat, and starbucks will do :)

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:
Did anyone who was interested in ISAC receive any information yet? Today, I received a letter offering its Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program along with an application. Did anyone else who was interested in ISAC receive this too? If not, I'm afraid that they sent me the wrong materials. ITs past office hours so I guess I'll just wait till tomorrow to call.

I received that same packet, but I never showed interest in ISAC. It must have gone out to everyone.

As for the new curriculum, they mentioned that at my interview, but I got the impression that it was implemented already (for the 2008 class), but I could be wrong.

We just took our Neurosensory final. Dr. Kuehn was the coordinator for the system, so hes been pretty busy and probably been putting ISAC off till today. So you should be getting your letters soon. Also, if you did not get a letter for ISAC, but want to do it, call/email/stop by/stalk Dr. Kuehn until he lets you in. I wasn't initially invited either, but he let me in because I showed enough enthusiasm and committment. And let me tell you, ISAC was the best thing to happen to me first semester.

Oh, and everyone gets invited to SMSPP regardless of if you get ISAC or not.

Best of luck to all. See you soon.

I've finally made my decision to attend COMP :cool: After a long process of going crazy choosing between wonderful schools, I feel this is the best place for me. The new dean, Dr. Adams, is a wonderful man who is making such positive changes and it's a great time to be here. I just popped a bottle of champaign so it's official now - COMP '09 :D I look forward to spending the next few hard years with you. We should all meet up sometime and get to know eachother, find possible roommates and just have fun before studying and stress starts and lingers over us. I spoke to Negasourus earlier and she'll be outta town May - mid June so let's try and plan something before or after that so she can join. PM me if you have a preferable date.

Members don't see this ad :)
OnMyWayThere said:
I've finally made my decision to attend COMP :cool: After a long process of going crazy choosing between wonderful schools, I feel this is the best place for me. The new dean, Dr. Adams, is a wonderful man who is making such positive changes and it's a great time to be here. I just popped a bottle of champaign so it's official now - COMP '09 :D I look forward to spending the next few hard years with you. We should all meet up sometime and get to know eachother, find possible roommates and just have fun before studying and stress starts and lingers over us. I spoke to Negasourus earlier and she'll be outta town May - mid June so let's try and plan something before or after that so she can join. PM me if you have a preferable date.

Congrats and looking forward to meeting you! With all the new changes coming to COMP I'm hoping for a very strong and successful class to arise! I'm excited!

joe6102 said:

I'll watch a few games with you. Go Chargers!

I'm looking for 1 or more roommates to share a house. I want to live in claremont or close to that area. I'm not doing ISAC so I know it's a little early but if anyone is interested let me know.

Does anyone know which Anatomy book we will be using. Is it Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter? thanks

OnMyWayThere said:

I will be gone until the middle of June as well (about the 15th). Let me know if you guys are really getting together because I have to fly in. I would love to come and hang out and meet some people before moving. You guys can show me the ropes since I am a little country bumpkin (JK). Only three months to go.

Negean, in you email is it NeG or neQ, I think that may be why my email didnt go thru.

surfingD.O. said:
Does anyone know which Anatomy book we will be using. Is it Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter? thanks

Here's what I heard from a second-year. I don't know if it was a required text or not. Also, I might be interested in a room in that house.

Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. I didn't actually use that
book all too much. The time in lab and certain lectures is what really
helped me to pass the class. Frank Netter's Atlas of the Human Body is
an invaluable tool during Anatomy. It not only guides you through your
dissections, but it is absolutely necessary to look at when studying for
exams.

As for Biochem, the book we used was Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry.
I'm not sure if they used the same book this year or not.

I'm in the first year class and the official anatomy books for our class were Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Netter's Atlas. My advice would be to wait to buy your books till you get here. Many of us will be selling some books. Also, this year, I (and any others that joined) received a free Netter for joining SOMA (student osteopathic medical association, it's the student chapter of the AOA). Membership for us was a $60 one-time fee for lifetime membership plus we got the free Netter (which costs around $90). I can't say if we will be able to offer this again next year, but hopefully that will be the case. Maybe a SOMA officer trolling through here can confirm or deny that? See ya soon.

-E-
COMP 2008

just got the good letter from COMP. Guess I have to kiss goodbye to the 2K deposit to TUCOM. That is a 50-rounds of golf I just lost. Please people, tell me that I am going to a better place, to COMP that is.

Tshot said:
just got the good letter from COMP. Guess I have to kiss goodbye to the 2K deposit to TUCOM. That is a 50-rounds of golf I just lost. Please people, tell me that I am going to a better place, to COMP that is.

I got into both schools and chose COMP because it's more established, has better rotations, closer to my home and isn't in the middle of a shipyard! You made the right choice.

Tshot said:
I just made the same decision last night, including the 2k deposit loss... I was going to the LV campus though. They are also a very awesome school but I want to be close to the family and I also hear really good changes occuring at COMP. So, congratulations and forget about the 50 rounds of golf :thumbup: Go out and celebrate your acceptance!

OnMyWayThere said:
I just made the same decision last night, including the 2k deposit loss... I was going to the LV campus though. They are also a very awesome school but I want to be close to the family and I also hear really good changes occuring at COMP. So, congratulations and forget about the 50 rounds of golf :thumbup: Go out and celebrate your acceptance!

Glad to hear we have some more future classmates! But how can he forget about the 50 rounds of golf? He should have started a thread with a poll:
1. COMP
2. TUCOM and 50 rounds of golf

That's a tough one

joe6102 said:
Glad to hear we have some more future classmates! But how can he forget about the 50 rounds of golf? He should have started a thread with a poll:
1. COMP
2. TUCOM and 50 rounds of golf

That's a tough one
:laugh:

hey future classmates, i have been out of the whole study scene for about a year now (took a year off) :oops: . Any ideas what should i do to get back in the study mode before school starts? :confused: you think goin oven old bio or biochem book will help or should i buy any anatomy book and start looking over that.

later.

I think the only thing that would actually help would be to go over gross anatomy. Frankly, it probably won't do a whole lot of good since the exams center around some very specific questions (I'm a first year at COMP). If you can get down the origin/insertion/action of all of the back and neck muscles you'll have an advantage. The specific questions are things like "which tendon lies most medial as the _______runs anterolaterally through the ____ blah, blah, blah.". Maybe get a Netter Human Anatomy book and stare at all of the artwork.

Your first section of anatomy is going to be the back and the neck. Check out all of the muscles/nerves/arteries and veins and try and have an idea how they all relate to each other anatomically. "Relationships" are of paramount importance in anatomy.

If you aren't a chemistry nerd, you're probably going to have some difficulty with biochem. The professor is actually excellent, but he expects a lot from the students. Expect to memorize every pathway he presents and then be able to describe them backwards.

Anatomy is physically and mentally exhausting. You are going to have to study more for this course than anything you've ever experienced. It's a TON of memorization. The lab part has its own challenges. You're not only going to have to recognize what the teeny weeny part of your cadaver is, but also to recognize what it might look like on 40 other cadavers.

Every lecture is now recorded on audiotape. This is going to be really helpful because you're going to be able to listen to a difficult lecture as many times as you want. Also, you can manipulate the speed of the recording so you can cut the time in half.

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions
[email protected]

Marc

Hi everybody! I am also attending COMP in the fall! Can't wait to meet all of you!

welcome doctora, cant wait to see you in the fall.

Thanks ncremer! How's the roomie search going? Any advice? I am also a female looking to live with another female or several females. I too like to go out and have fun but definitely know how to buckle down and study when I have to. I am also kind of a neat freak! I guess I should call and get the info from Western. Time is running out very quickly!!
Also.....If the class of 2009 is going to meet sometime in the near future I would love to meet some of you!

I just started a Yahoo group for us since we can't post our personal information on a public forum (this will be for COMP only and needs approval to join)... this way we can find out our classmates' names, exchange phone numbers and arrange for us to meet up before all the stress starts. If you have a Yahoo membership, just sign in. Otherwise, it'll take a minute to register for free. I recommend you put your primary email in the "alternate email" box so that you can get notified of new messages instead of having to log in and check everytime. Here is where to sign up http://groups.yahoo.com/group/COMP09/join

OnMyWayThere said:
I just started a Yahoo group for us since we can't post our personal information on a public forum (this will be for COMP only and needs approval to join)... this way we can find out our classmates' names, exchange phone numbers and arrange for us to meet up before all the stress starts. If you have a Yahoo membership, just sign in. Otherwise, it'll take a minute to register for free. I recommend you put your primary email in the "alternate email" box so that you can get notified of new messages instead of having to log in and check everytime. Here is where to sign up http://groups.yahoo.com/group/COMP09/join

Doh.. just make sure that starting the yahoo group doesn't kill the SDN thread for COMP 2009... heh.

melancholy said:
Doh.. just make sure that starting the yahoo group doesn't kill the SDN thread for COMP 2009... heh.
It won't... and you're more than welcome to join it if you don't want to miss anything. ;) That's why I mentioned "it'll be for COMP only" - we want get to know our upperclassmen as well and get your input on things.

COMP vs. TUCOM and 50 rounds of golf

That's a tough one[/QUOTE]

Amen. 50 rounds of golf is a lot to give up, :( but in the end COMP' 09 is where I will be- Only now I have to round up my courage and forget about the 50..50 rounds of golf and send in the acceptance reply. Thanks for the input. Can't wait for school to start and to meet y'all.

Doctora said:
Thanks ncremer! How's the roomie search going? Any advice? I am also a female looking to live with another female or several females. I too like to go out and have fun but definitely know how to buckle down and study when I have to. I am also kind of a neat freak! I guess I should call and get the info from Western. Time is running out very quickly!!
Also.....If the class of 2009 is going to meet sometime in the near future I would love to meet some of you!

So are you from cali Doctora? Call me Niki by the way, I dont know why I came up with such a lame sign in name, but oh well.

DoctorS said:
hey future classmates, i have been out of the whole study scene for about a year now (took a year off) :oops: . Any ideas what should i do to get back in the study mode before school starts? :confused: you think goin oven old bio or biochem book will help or should i buy any anatomy book and start looking over that.

later.

you are in better shape than I am- I have been out for 5. I have been looking at my old biochem, immuno, cell, genetics. Things start to come back a little bit. Plus I am sitting in an AnP class at the local college one day a week(the Prop was very cool to let me do this). This helps since the class is 3 hours for each session- it gives me a good practice of staying focus for a long session. Hope this helps.

ncremer said:
So are you from cali Doctora? Call me Niki by the way, I dont know why I came up with such a lame sign in name, but oh well.

Hey Niki! I'm gonna email you back! Check it soon!

Doctora said:
Hey Niki! I'm gonna email you back! Check it soon!
Hey, I got your email and sent one back. When are you planning on heading down to the school area to move. I am thinking I may come down in May and June to apartment hunt.

Has anyone been able to log into banweb and find the roomate match section??? All I have is my email account, do I need something else?

Negasourus said:
Has anyone been able to log into banweb and find the roomate match section??? All I have is my email account, do I need something else?
Hey Negean, you may have to email Ann Koch about getting your log in info. They were suppose to send you the infor in your western email address though.

Anyone gotten their letter for ISAC already? Just wondering if you could tell me when the first day of class for that would be. Thanks!

ncremer said:
Hey, I got your email and sent one back. When are you planning on heading down to the school area to move. I am thinking I may come down in May and June to apartment hunt.

Hey Niki!
I'm done with school in mid June so any time after that! I was thinking end of June to beg. of July to move in. I'm only about 2 1/2 hrs from there so I can drive down whenever to apartment hunt! I guess the hunting should begin soon though.

instrumental said:
Anyone gotten their letter for ISAC already? Just wondering if you could tell me when the first day of class for that would be. Thanks!

I'm still waiting for the ISAC paper work too!

Regarding BanWeb - I received an email on my westernu account (finally) with instructions and pin to log on. The roomate section is not working for me either.

I thought that typically for banweb, you need a student ID# that I've only known to be on our student ID cards (unless they have e-mailed that information to you guys already). After you log into the secure site, there's a link for the roommate request thing.

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:
I'm still waiting for the ISAC paper work too!

Regarding BanWeb - I received an email on my westernu account (finally) with instructions and pin to log on. The roomate section is not working for me either.
Ann said if you have any problems to let her know. Make sure when you put in your info you put in your full name and your western email address. She wont process it with any other email address. I had to do the entire thing over thanks to that. Here is her email [email protected].

Hi everyone.... so I emailed Ann earlier today to ask for an email account and I found out that there is 3 other people with the same exact name as myself. That should make for a very fun time in classes these next years :D

Oh btw.. so is anyone planning on taking that summerprep class thing?

calisurfdoc said:
Hi everyone.... so I emailed Ann earlier today to ask for an email account and I found out that there is 3 other people with the same exact name as myself. That should make for a very fun time in classes these next years :D

Oh btw.. so is anyone planning on taking that summerprep class thing?

We will have to come up with fun nicknames for you all. Thats ok because so far I have only met two other girls in our class besides myself (where are all of the females at) and two of us go by the same name as well, Niki. It will just make it more fun and interesting.
I am not taking the class, I would rather go have some fun. I am sure I will get my butt kicked for it by the amount of studying, but oh well.

I have an ID and PIN for Ban Web and am able to log on. But when I click on the roomate match link and then click on the 'start' button it first tells me that I may be entering a nonsecure site and then i click 'yes' to continue and I end up back at the BanWeb homepage!

Am I the only one with this problem?

Sup COMPers!

I finally received the ISAC stuff via EMAIL in my WesternU mail account. So check your email doods!

It seems we have quite a few San Diegans going to COMP like SurfingDO and myself. So to all you from the 619, 858 and 760...make yourselves known! :D