Official 2021 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goal weight: 250+ lbs
I've been eating a lot everyday so I think I have a chance

On a serious note, we just might be the last ones to take it pre-P/F. Let's rock.

Edit: As of today, we ARE the last ones to take it pre-P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So you think I should use my timee that I currently spend on amboss which is like a little over 2 hours to focus on anki and finish the new cards I want to? Then finish amboss in those 7 days before my test?
Finish UWorld. Then do AMBOSS instead of incorrects. New questions >>>> repeating things you've already seen (at least for Step 1, where you do most of UWorld in dedicated. This differs a bit for Step 2 where you've been doing questions all year for your shelves).

Reactions: 1 user
So you think I should use my timee that I currently spend on amboss which is like a little over 2 hours to focus on anki and finish the new cards I want to? Then finish amboss in those 7 days before my test?
Yeah I think so. As someone who finished the entire Anking deck (before starting UW), it is incredibly helpful on damn near every question I've come across. To be fair I also finished Amboss before starting UW, but Amboss is tougher than UW so I wouldn't bother putting yourself through the ringer of Amboss before completing UW, which is closer to the NBME-styled questions than Amboss without question

20% through UWorld and I'm at a 64% overall

Thought I would be doing better ngl after maturing 20k cards and doing 4000 questions prior, but alas the grind in dedicated continues

Members don't see this ad :)
20% through UWorld and I'm at a 64% overall

Thought I would be doing better ngl after maturing 20k cards and doing 4000 questions prior, but alas the grind in dedicated continues
It'll trend up as long as you keep reviewing material.
A lot of AnKing/Zanki cards seem like they were specifically made because someone missed a question on UWorld, and you'll see a lot of things pop up in the "Extras" sections that you may have skipped over while chugging down all those cards!

It'll trend up as long as you keep reviewing material.
A lot of AnKing/Zanki cards seem like they were specifically made because someone missed a question on UWorld, and you'll see a lot of things pop up in the "Extras" sections that you may have skipped over while chugging down all those cards!
Thanks, yup I'll keep at it. Doing hundreds of cards a day and 80 questions is a grind for sure

Well boys and gals I took UW2 and did worse than UW1 but obviously still happy with my score of 254. Test day is in <6 days. Can't wait to get it over with

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Most people have UW2<UW1, but UW2 is seen as more predictive. Crush it!
Yup that's what I've read on here and elsewhere as well. It's surreal that the grind of Anking every day for almost 1.5 years is coming to an end, and the grind of 50-120 questions daily for the past 4.5 months is also almost over

Yup that's what I've read on here and elsewhere as well. It's surreal that the grind of Anking every day for almost 1.5 years is coming to an end, and the grind of 50-120 questions daily for the past 4.5 months is also almost over
Don't worry, M3 is waiting for you.

Only slightly joking. It's a huge accomplishment, enjoy whatever time you have off afterwards doing absolutely nothing!

Don't worry, M3 is waiting for you.

Only slightly joking. It's a huge accomplishment, enjoy whatever time you have off afterwards doing absolutely nothing!
At least it will be a different grind! Then the grind of application season, then the worries about starting intern year, and then worries just about intern year. Then the worry of not being around family or friends because you are in intern year. And then worrying about the PGY15 pounds I know I'll be adding onto my frame in that time frame lol.

But yes I will have time off for everything not school related, can't wait for it!

• Haha
Anyone know how to interpret comsae scores? Had to take one for my school a couple of days ago and got a 500+, but I'm not exactly sure where I stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how to interpret comsae scores? Had to take one for my school a couple of days ago and got a 500+, but I'm not exactly sure where I stand.
I was actually wondering this too. I don't even really know how to interpret comlex scores haha.

I was told that the comsae tends to under predict, but thats definitely from anecdotes from upperclassmen.

I was actually wondering this too. I don't even really know how to interpret comlex scores haha.

I was told that the comsae tends to under predict, but thats definitely from anecdotes from upperclassmen.
You can't really interpret COMSAE scores. I have seen people score 80-100 points above and below their COMSAEs. They are useless.

Exactly 6 weeks out. My goal has always been 250+ but I would be happy with the mid 240s.

Amboss SA: 215 (11 weeks out)
NBME 24: 230 (8 weeks out)
NBME 26: 234 (6 weeks out)
Uworld: 78%, about 30% through.

Finished most of the AnKing deck but not exactly thrilled with where my NBME scores are along with the tiny score increase from 24-26. Do you think 250 is possible from where I'm at right now? My plan is to continue doing Uworld, keep up with my reviews and maybe finish up Amboss but doing more than 80Q a day + reviews is draining.
Update:

UWSA1: 257 (4 weeks out)
NBME 27: 244 (3 weeks out)

Finally made the jump on NBMEs that I was looking for but still getting questions wrong that I know. Thats probably my biggest weakness as of right now. Seems like most of the questions I get wrong are more fact based and things I have forgotten rather than the critical thinking questions which I guess is a good sign? Taking NBME 29 next week, 30 the following week and ending with UWSA2 and Free 120.

Update:

Finally made the jump on NBMEs that I was looking for but still getting questions wrong that I know. Thats probably my biggest weakness as of right now. Seems like most of the questions I get wrong are more fact based and things I have forgotten rather than the critical thinking questions which I guess is a good sign? Taking NBME 29 next week, 30 the following week and ending with UWSA2 and Free 120.
Looking good! How are you feeling about it all?

Update:

dang bro how'd you get that jump? Fell like NBME's are a lot of "you know it or you don't"

dang bro how'd you get that jump? Fell like NBME's are a lot of "you know it or you don't"
I agree that a lot of the NBME questions are like that and those still made up the majority of the questions I got wrong. I think focusing on getting the critical thinking questions right and making sure to not miss a similar question twice is what helped me. I've been making a ton of cards on missed questions from amboss/uworld/nbmes and theres only so many ways to test on a topic. I also think I was way more focused and less nervous taking this NBME compared to the last 2 I took. Plus its been like 3 weeks since my last NBME so I've seen a lot of questions in that time frame.

Hey guys, do you all have any tips for improving NBME scores, took 22 recently and honestly felt like wtf, the stems were so vague and the questions felt like all over the place.

My permit just disappeared but I tested 4/23 (just over a week ago)? Thought I had another week to mentally prepare myself for my score o_O

Has anyone heard this happen before in the older threads?

My permit just disappeared but I tested 4/23 (just over a week ago)? Thought I had another week to mentally prepare myself for my score o_O

Has anyone heard this happen before in the older threads?
Also tested 4/23, permit's still there for me. No idea, but regardless GOOD LUCK!!

Congrats on being finished! That must feel like a huge relief. Any tips for my last 3 weeks?
It goes by fast for one thing. Another, is there were some questions eerily similar to UW that I got correct because I made flash cards for them. So definitely finish all UW, do flash cards if you like doing them, and make sure you get as much info as you can out of the questions.

The last few days I Bull rushed through first few pathoma chapters and some b&b. It didn't really change my outcome so don't feel like you have to do those. (Maybe I just got the test that didn't focus as heavily on that stuff though)

It goes by fast for one thing. Another, is there were some questions eerily similar to UW that I got correct because I made flash cards for them. So definitely finish all UW, do flash cards if you like doing them, and make sure you get as much info as you can out of the questions.

The last few days I Bull rushed through first few pathoma chapters and some b&b. It didn't really change my outcome so don't feel like you have to do those. (Maybe I just got the test that didn't focus as heavily on that stuff though)
I'm starting to feel how fast time is flying by already lol. I have been making flashcards for everything I've gotten wrong so hopefully that helps. One thing I'm trying to figure out is if I should do the 100 concepts for anatomy? Anatomy is my best subject on uworld but I've heard step throws some curveballs at you in anatomy. Also how did you work on your weaknesses? I've been doing targeted blocks of amboss in my weak areas but not sure if theres a better way to go about this.

Hi guys! Just entering my 6-week dedicated. Which NBME should I take for baseline? I heard it's best to save 18 for the end. Which one should I do first? Thanks!

Hi guys! Just entering my 6-week dedicated. Which NBME should I take for baseline? I heard it's best to save 18 for the end. Which one should I do first? Thanks!
If you didn’t buy 18 before they brought in the new NBME’s you can’t get it anymore. But I’ll be taking 25 this weekend ~8 weeks out

I bought the 6 old forms just before they retired them. So I have access to 18 and 20 through 24.
I read 25 is is brutal even for people who scored high in other assessments... what's a more reasonable one to start with?

I bought the 6 old forms just before they retired them. So I have access to 18 and 20 through 24.
I read 25 is is brutal even for people who scored high in other assessments... what's a more reasonable one to start with?
okay, I bought 18, 22 and 24. Took 22 a few weeks ago as a baseline. Saving 18 for later but probably not going to do 24 since someone mentioned to me that they reuse some questions, so you might inflate your score a bit if you end up doing the new ones after doing the old ones.

Good to know! In that case I'll buy 30 and work my way back. The new forms I hear have explanations! I'm looking to learn something from them while I still can. Will save the old ones until the last 3 weeks to do 2 at the time for endurance, I guess. I was yesterday at Prometric for the free 120 and felt like walking out in the middle of the 2nd block... thankfully I didn't.

Here we go! Aiming 250+. 20,000 cards mature in AnKing. Trying to do BnB, Pathoma, Kaplan qbank, and AMBOSS throughout the year. Thoughts on the utility of class lecture in addition to these resources? Currently watching when I can, but there's not much time left over for them.
I'm back for dedicated! Currently 3.5 weeks out, but thought about moving the exam up a bit... 267 on NBME 29, 251 on CBSE, 249 AMBOSS SA, and 88% correct on the first 50% of UWorld. Thoughts about what other SA's to take? I don't want to spend too much on NBME, but I also think they're probably the most unbiased tool right now (UWorld is highly represented in AnKing, sometimes verbatim)

The NBME really surprised me. Never thought I'd score close to that.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on your practice scores! UWSA 1 and 2, I guess? Kaplan has a free diagnostic test but you may be past that point. Osmosis and Lecturio both have 5 day trials and that includes some access to questions. I found Lecturio kinda basic (except for topics I didn't remember at all) but Osmosis is so cool! Unfortunately I missed out on the Amboss SA. Just doing their Qbank when I can. It's very different from UW. Not doing Anki at all so no overlaps for me.

I'm back for dedicated! Currently 3.5 weeks out, but thought about moving the exam up a bit... 267 on NBME 29, 251 on CBSE, 249 AMBOSS SA, and 88% correct on the first 50% of UWorld. Thoughts about what other SA's to take? I don't want to spend too much on NBME, but I also think they're probably the most unbiased tool right now (UWorld is highly represented in AnKing, sometimes verbatim)

The NBME really surprised me. Never thought I'd score close to that.
if i were you, I would move my exam up lmao

Mid-240s. Not quite where I wanted to be at but I'll take it and start increasing my bench frequency to get that 500 total!

Reactions: 4 users
A bit late to the game but was hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

CBSE 220 (6 weeks out)
UW 67% 1st pass timed random with 27% complete.

Currently doing 80 UW questions a day along with reviews of incorrect cards.

Test date is in 4 weeks.

Should I prioritize doing as much UW questions at the expense of nbmes? How many new nbmes should I do at this point and which ones are worth doing?

At the moment, all I know is I should save UW 1/2 and free nbme until about 2 weeks before.

CBSE 220 (6 weeks out)

Test date is in 4 weeks.

Should I prioritize doing as much UW questions at the expense of nbmes? How many new nbmes should I do at this point and which ones are worth doing?

At the moment, all I know is I should save UW 1/2 and free nbme until about 2 weeks before.
Are you finished your content review (I.e. working through any resources like FA, Sketchy, Pathoma, etc)?
If you're still in content review phase then don't skip NBME's/Practice tests. They're good instant snapshots of what would show up on an exam and doing 1 a week in my last 4 weeks helped me figure out what topics I wanted to cover in boards and beyond/sketchy/Pathoma for that week.

If you're done content review and you're using NBME's as extra question blocks, then I'd say skip them and just do more UWorld blocks because UWorld questions are better at challenging your understanding than NBME's are.

:sidenote: having NBME scores to look back on helps ease some of the post-step-1-and-waiting-for-results anxiety.

CBSE 220 (6 weeks out)

Test date is in 4 weeks.

I would prioritize UW at the expense of NBMEs. It's best to do all of UW + UWSAs and just a few NBMEs to get a feel for those types of questions.

Update:

Took 29 today and somehow got a 254. I think 29 felt a lot easier than 26 and 27 at least in my opinion. Had a lot more gimme questions than the others and shorter stems as well. I also think I got really lucky on some of my guesses especially seeing that big of a jump from my last one.

Quick question, I'm 2 weeks out, and plan on taking NBME 30 this coming Saturday, UW2 the following Wednesday, and free 120 that Friday, should I try to squeeze in NBME 28 somewhere? I've heard people are getting repeat questions on step so idk if its worth squeezing in another or just focusing on my weaknesses in other ways rather than another practice exam.

Help me interpret my scores.

UW 60% finished: 67% correct
Baseline CBSE -1 week: 191
NBME 27 3 weeks in: 209
UWSA1 4 weeks in: 239
NBME 30 5 weeks in: 224

2.5-ish weeks to go. Am I on track for >230? Should I delay a week to be more secure in my score?
Update: 242 on the real deal!

NBME 26: 234
UWSA2: 243
Free 120: 80%

So so glad I didn't delay.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats (wo)man! Seems like UW assessments were very good for you
Yep! I also want to mention that I only completed ~80% of UW because I was totally burned out, so if anyone else is in my shoes don't fret too much! If your self assessments are lining up, you are probably ready.