**Official 2021 Periodontics PASS/Interviews/Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is your interview , do you know how many rounds they have and if they are still sending invites.

Thank you
My interview was early September. I believe they're having another one next week according to my classmate. Not sure if they're still sending invites.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you !! How was your over all experience ? I heard it’s a very tough program to get into.
I enjoyed it for the most part, everyone was nice and informative. The questions were pretty routine such as "Why perio?", "Why our program?", etc. Program seems impressive but also very structured/intense!

Members don't see this ad :)
is it normal to have an interview scheduled on a weekend? it seems very odd to me.

Reactions: 1 users
wow, i'm so jealous. i had an interview yesterday (in canada) and they didn't ask any ''traditional'' questions. i got tons of research questions (technical questions) and even question about medical knowledge (pharmacology/disease/complications/etc). it was terrible because i definitely wasn't ready for this. first interview i totally bombed in my life.

Hi,
Can you share which Canadian dental school was it?
Thanks

PENDING:

UCLA
VA in LA
University of Minnesota
Case Western university
Temple university
Medical University of South Carolina
West Virginia
University of Louisville

SENT:

Virginia Commonwealth
Oregon Health and Science
Loma Linda
University of Missouri
NYU
Columbia
University of North Carolina
University of Washington -invites sent out
University of Colorado – invites sent out
NOVA Southeastern – invites sent out
University of Illinois – Chicago – invites sent out
University of Iowa – invites sent out
Detroit Mercy – invites sent out
University of Michigan – invites sent out
University of Nebraska – invites sent out
Stony Brook – invites sent out
University at Buffalo – invites sent out
University of Tennessee – invites sent out
Texas A&M Baylor - invites sent out
UT San Antonio – invites sent out
University of Oklahoma – invites sent out
Marquette – invites sent out
Saint Louis University - invites sent out
Ohio State University
Boston University
Rutgers
University of Alabama
Indiana University
UT Houston
University of Maryland
Tufts University
University of Rochester
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern Cali
Louisiana State University
Harvard University
Augusta university
University of Connecticut
University of Pittsburg
University of Kentucky
UCSF
University of Florida

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any in depth info in regard to USC's perio program? Trying to see if the high cost of tuition worth it or not?
I am graduating from UOP in 2021 and trying to see if going through specialty with that price tag really worth it.

Does anyone have any in depth info in regard to USC's perio program? Trying to see if the high cost of tuition worth it or not?
I am graduating from UOP in 2021 and trying to see if going through specialty with that price tag really worth it.
I feel like this is a very personal question, it is a question you could have to applied to any program, not just USC. I’m sure most programs you get whatever you put into it. The “whether its worth specializing” is a personal question and everyone can have their own reasons. What are you looking to get out if perio? Why are you applying?

That does seem like a very odd question.

I agree with @Stereoperio - is it worth is to you specifically? For myself, I did not apply to schools with a large price tag because I did not find it necessary when there are excellent low cost programs in other places. In my personal view, the cost did not seem to produce an appropriate return on investment.

However, that being said, I did find it worth applying to perio and giving up my income as a general dentist to go into a speciality where I would make equally excellent money doing what I was passionate about.

If it's USC or bust for you, I'm afraid your "is it really worth it" attitude answers your own question.

Reactions: 3 users
people who already interviewed, how many interviewer were at your interviews?
i'm having trouble going from 1-3 interviewer during GPR interviews to 10+ during perio interview ON ZOOM. i feel it's making me 10x more nervous because i don't have time to make connection with anyone and it never feel like a conversation.
if someone has any tips, i'm interested!!

does anyone know if schools send out second round of interviews in October?

people who already interviewed, how many interviewer were at your interviews?
i'm having trouble going from 1-3 interviewer during GPR interviews to 10+ during perio interview ON ZOOM. i feel it's making me 10x more nervous because i don't have time to make connection with anyone and it never feel like a conversation.
if someone has any tips, i'm interested!!
It varied from program to program, some as little as 3 and some as many as 10. Making connections was almost impossible since each interviews were only 20-25 minutes (interviewer told me that it felt like speed dating haha so they know the limitations). I wouldn't worry too much about making connections with anyone but more about getting the feel for the program as much as possible because we won't get to physically visit the school. As always, ask lots of questions!

still no update on LA programs?
ANd those that have heard back from OHSU and VCU- have y'all received confirmation of those dates?

still no update on LA programs?
ANd those that have heard back from OHSU and VCU- have y'all received confirmation of those dates?

I haven't gotten back a date confirmation back from OHSU yet

International applicants (excluding Canadians), have you had any luck with getting interview this year? So far I'm 1/26 and felling terrible right now :(

International applicants (excluding Canadians), have you had any luck with getting interview this year? So far I'm 1/26 and felling terrible right now :(
I got 3 interviews. I am an international applicant, but I am at AEGD now. I expected more than 3 interviews, but it seems that this year is very competitive.

I got 3 interviews. I am an international applicant, but I am at AEGD now. I expected more than 3 interviews, but it seems that this year is very competitive.
That's still good! I'm hoping for some more as well, time will tell. All the best!

Definitely! Pretty much everyone has told me they have had twice the number of applicants this year. Maybe due to covid? Are 4th year dental students aren’t feeling like they are going to be ready to go out and practice?

Anyone know if Louisville has sent out interviews yet? I can't seem to get a response from the email listed online.

got an interview at VA LA today!

and I concur with you all, I applied for 17 schools, 4 interviews (D4 though). seems very competitive this year. some residents I spoke to said they didn't get any interviews till October though - so you never know! good luck everyone :)

Anyone know if Louisville has sent out interviews yet? I can't seem to get a response from the email listed online.
Same here. I’ve exhausted all sources of reaching out to Louisville. Has anyone heard back? Hoping they send out invites soon

PENDING:

UCLA
University of Minnesota
Case Western university
Temple university
Medical University of South Carolina
West Virginia
University of Louisville

With the increased number of candidates interviewed/the stiff competition this year, what is the general consensus on a “safe” number of interviews for matching? I know this is a very nuanced question and I hope I don’t upset anyone by asking this. Just looking for opinions. I have a decent number of interviews lined up, but most of the programs have interviewed 25+ candidates for 2 spots. The math is stressing me out big time.

Also, any updates on MUSC? I was very interested in that program but they have been radio silent since confirming complete application.

Do you guys send thank you emails after an interview?

got an interview at VA LA today!

and I concur with you all, I applied for 17 schools, 4 interviews (D4 though). seems very competitive this year. some residents I spoke to said they didn't get any interviews till October though - so you never know! good luck everyone :)
yeah am I reading that right?
Interview is only 30min? Kind of refreshing from the other 8hr 12 interviewers format..

Anyone who has interviewed at Saint Louis this year, how was the general atmosphere? And how many applicants are they interviewing?

With the increased number of candidates interviewed/the stiff competition this year, what is the general consensus on a “safe” number of interviews for matching? I know this is a very nuanced question and I hope I don’t upset anyone by asking this. Just looking for opinions. I have a decent number of interviews lined up, but most of the programs have interviewed 25+ candidates for 2 spots. The math is stressing me out big time.
I've been kind of wondering the same thing. I have had 3 interviews and applied to about 10 programs. I feel pretty good with that as I know people would be happy to have just 1. I entered the application cycle telling myself I'd be lucky to get 1 but obviously nothing is guaranteed from that. I'm trying not to stress about the math but just keep good relations with the programs I've interviewed hoping that I hear good news on MATCH day.

Same here. I’ve exhausted all sources of reaching out to Louisville. Has anyone heard back? Hoping they send out invites soon
Heard from a dental student at Louisville that’s not applying to perio that they only interviewed in state residents this year. I’m a little irritated. Like I understand covid has made things hard, but don’t have dozens of us waste our money if you aren’t considering anyone outside of Kentucky.
He seemed to think they’d have an out of state round but I’m not holding my breath.

Does anyone know of second round of interviews for east coast schools? Harvard, Boston?

For the interviewees at Boston University, can you list your date of interview please?

Hi all,
I heard that University of Minnesota have sent interview invites. Can anyone confirm.

What has anyone heard of the UCLA and VA LA programs?
My basic understanding is that both programs pay you a PGY salary?