***Prosthodontics Official 2024 PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Almass

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This thread is for anything related to prosthodontics application through Pass.

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!!!! I'm also applying for prosthodontics as well!!!!! Good Luck Everyone!
Side note, would this be official 2024 year since there is already a 2023 thread?

Last edited:
After you receive an interview, please bold the school and type in the interview dates in parentheses ( )
Ex) University of SDN - Invites sent (July 8th)
And when the Spots are filled, switch the color to Blue and type in "Spots filled"
Ex) University of SDN - Invites sent (July 8th) - Spots filled

University of Alabama at Birmingham -
Loma Linda University -
University of California at Los Angeles -
University of Southern California -
University of Connecticut -
Nova Southeastern University -
University of Florida -
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
Indiana University -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
Louisiana State University -
University of Maryland -
Boston University -
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Columbia University -
New York University -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Ohio State University -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
Texas A&M University College of Dentistry -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
Marquette University -

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!!!! I'm also applying for prosthodontics as well!!!!! Good Luck Everyone!
Side note, would this be official 2024 year since there is already a 2023 thread?
Yes, it’s.
I’ve changed the title.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Last year, I created a thread for pros, but it could have been more helpful.
Unfortunately, I did not get any invites for pros, but I got into another program.
Anyway, I will mention some things I learned that might help here.

- Apply to as many programs as possible. I know it is going to be expensive, but just to increase your chances.
- Submit your application as soon as possible because many programs don't stick to their deadlines. AND remember the supplemental applications and their FEES because they will only check complete applications.
- If you had the chance to shadow, I think it will give you a chance for getting at least an interview invite, also, you will get to see the program closely.
- Once you get an invite, post it here. This will help the others who did not receive anything to follow up with the program directors.
- At the time of the interview, remember that everyone you meet will evaluate you based on everything. Mostly, there is that person who is either the program director or the chairman who will determine who to choose. So, do your best to identify that person and leave a good impression ( Be yourself). Don't be a jerk to other applicants because it will affect you sooner or later.
- Post your experience here with any program you interview at. This will help the other applicants when it is time to rank the programs.

I hope this will help, and good luck to everyone🤞

Reactions: 1 users
Seeing as this thread is less active as some others, decided to make an account to see if I can help out. I matched last year and will be attending a prosth program in the upcoming weeks. I will try and be as active as possible to answer any questions to help out any applicants this year (or potentially following years).

What were some of the important things you looked into when you were choosing programs?

What were some of the important things you looked into when you were choosing programs?

I had a couple criteria for choices of programs (in no particular order):

• Surgical vs Restorative: I am not a huge fan of very surgically heavy programs. I prefer a more well-rounded education so I wanted a mixture of surgical and restorative Prosth. This doesn't mean I didn't apply to surgically heavy programs, just that I ranked more well-rounded programs higher.
  • Conventional vs Digital: I am huge advocate for digital dentistry and wanted a program that allowed for digital workflows. Some programs were way too heavy analog and that wasn't what I was entirely looking for. Programs that were TOO digital were also not what I was looking for. I wanted something that allowed me to do as much digital as I wanted to and had the resources for it. If a program was not as supportive for digital dentistry, that was a bit of a bummer to me, especially seeing how dentistry as a whole is shifting to digital. If a program didn't give a good analog foundation, that was also a red flag for me.
  • Didactic vs Clinical: Same as the other 2 criteria, I wanted a program that wasn't too didactic focused nor too clinically focused. I wanted a good structure of didactics that reinforced the clinical aspect of Prosth and vice-versa. Some programs were unfortunately very didactic heavy because their clinics didn't seem too busy.
  • Paid vs Tuition: I'm poor like many others. A salaried based program was a lot more attractive to me than a tuition-based program. Cheap programs were also more favored.
  • Location: I had some locations in mind, but the regions in which I applied to definitely dictated a lot of programs I visited.
  • Overall Program Support: Prosth is a specialty where you have to work together with other specialties (like most specialties), so I also wanted to see what programs gave good support to the Prosth program and vice-versa. Do they have a perio/ortho/other specialty programs that work well with their Prosth residents? Is there a good director/faculty that advocated for their residents? Was the program well funded?
  • Staff Support: How is the attending to resident ratio? Do you get assistants? How many co-residents do you have? Do you have to do all of the management of every aspect of your patients/schedule like you did in dental school (ex. front desk support etc.)? Were the attendings easily accessible and didn't ignore you?
  • Feeling: How are the residents interacting with each other? How are the relationships between the attendings and the residents? I wanted a program where everyone was happy together and you can see them mesh well. 3 years is a long time for you to not like your senior residents or attendings.
  • Board Certification Preparation: Personally, I want to get board-certified, so I favored programs that put more support into their residents to get board certified. All residencies should prepare you for board-certification, but some definitely don't push you nor support you enough to get it done.
  • Lab Work vs. No Lab Work: I wanted to do Prosth because I wanted to understand as much information as possible. Personally, I believe that you have to do a lot in order to understand everything. There are programs that have better work life balance where residents typically get out at 5-6 PM and sometimes come on the weekend/stay the evening. I wanted a program that was more intensive than that so that once I graduate, I wouldn't need to do much lab work anymore, but firmly understood every aspect of each step so I could troubleshoot anything I wanted. Programs that had residents that were happy to stay late into the evening and meshed well with the other co-residents (basically everyone was doing lots of work until late and was happy supporting each other doing it) were more favored. I also personally felt that the residents that were in these programs were significantly more impressive than those that had a better work/life balance. I understand that some people do NOT want this type of residency and that is 100% okay (we all end up being a prosthodontist that can treat patients), just wanted to preface that this was also a rather big criteria I placed on myself for my 3 years.
  • Program Director: Was the PD nice and engaging? Did they support the residents well?

Hope some of these come in handy for choosing your programs. I can elaborate more if needed, just let me know.
edit: formatting

Last edited:
I had a couple criteria for choices of programs (in no particular order):

• Surgical vs Restorative: I am not a huge fan of very surgically heavy programs. I prefer a more well-rounded education so I wanted a mixture of surgical and restorative Prosth. This doesn't mean I didn't apply to surgically heavy programs, just that I ranked more well-rounded programs higher.
  • Conventional vs Digital: I am huge advocate for digital dentistry and wanted a program that allowed for digital workflows. Some programs were way too heavy analog and that wasn't what I was entirely looking for. Programs that were TOO digital were also not what I was looking for. I wanted something that allowed me to do as much digital as I wanted to and had the resources for it. If a program was not as supportive for digital dentistry, that was a bit of a bummer to me, especially seeing how dentistry as a whole is shifting to digital. If a program didn't give a good analog foundation, that was also a red flag for me.
  • Didactic vs Clinical: Same as the other 2 criteria, I wanted a program that wasn't too didactic focused nor too clinically focused. I wanted a good structure of didactics that reinforced the clinical aspect of Prosth and vice-versa. Some programs were unfortunately very didactic heavy because their clinics didn't seem too busy.
  • Paid vs Tuition: I'm poor like many others. A salaried based program was a lot more attractive to me than a tuition-based program. Cheap programs were also more favored.
  • Location: I had some locations in mind, but the regions in which I applied to definitely dictated a lot of programs I visited.
  • Overall Program Support: Prosth is a specialty where you have to work together with other specialties (like most specialties), so I also wanted to see what programs gave good support to the Prosth program and vice-versa. Do they have a perio/ortho/other specialty programs that work well with their Prosth residents? Is there a good director/faculty that advocated for their residents? Was the program well funded?
  • Staff Support: How is the attending to resident ratio? Do you get assistants? How many co-residents do you have? Do you have to do all of the management of every aspect of your patients/schedule like you did in dental school (ex. front desk support etc.)? Were the attendings easily accessible and didn't ignore you?
  • Feeling: How are the residents interacting with each other? How are the relationships between the attendings and the residents? I wanted a program where everyone was happy together and you can see them mesh well. 3 years is a long time for you to not like your senior residents or attendings.
  • Board Certification Preparation: Personally, I want to get board-certified, so I favored programs that put more support into their residents to get board certified. All residencies should prepare you for board-certification, but some definitely don't push you nor support you enough to get it done.
  • Lab Work vs. No Lab Work: I wanted to do Prosth because I wanted to understand as much information as possible. Personally, I believe that you have to do a lot in order to understand everything. There are programs that have better work life balance where residents typically get out at 5-6 PM and sometimes come on the weekend/stay the evening. I wanted a program that was more intensive than that so that once I graduate, I wouldn't need to do much lab work anymore, but firmly understood every aspect of each step so I could troubleshoot anything I wanted. Programs that had residents that were happy to stay late into the evening and meshed well with the other co-residents (basically everyone was doing lots of work until late and was happy supporting each other doing it) were more favored. I also personally felt that the residents that were in these programs were significantly more impressive than those that had a better work/life balance. I understand that some people do NOT want this type of residency and that is 100% okay (we all end up being a prosthodontist that can treat patients), just wanted to preface that this was also a rather big criteria I placed on myself for my 3 years.
  • Program Director: Was the PD nice and engaging? Did they support the residents well?

Hope some of these come in handy for choosing your programs. I can elaborate more if needed, just let me know.
edit: formatting
Which programs have more surgeroes?

Which programs have more surgeroes?
From the top of my head here are some I remember (there are probably quite a few more):
  • UConn
  • UNC
  • UIC
  • Texas A&M
Also keep in mind that a lot of programs have no restrictions on restorative/surgical procedures so if you want to do them you can do as much as you want (For example Montefiore and VAs). The couple I listed above, I just remember being that the environment naturally has stronger surgical influences that help residents pursue that direction.

From the top of my head here are some I remember (there are probably quite a few more):
  • UConn
  • UNC
  • UIC
  • Texas A&M
Also keep in mind that a lot of programs have no restrictions on restorative/surgical procedures so if you want to do them you can do as much as you want (For example Montefiore and VAs). The couple I listed above, I just remember being that the environment naturally has stronger surgical influences that help residents pursue that direction.
Which programs did you apply to and do you remember what the hands-on portion/presentation for each was?

Which programs did you apply to and do you remember what the hands-on portion/presentation for each was?
For the sake of being anonymous (prosth is quite a small community), I won't list the schools I applied to, but can tell you more general information if you have questions about my application.

I know UNC and Temple this past year implemented a hands-on portion. I know Montefiore does not have a hands-on portion but requires you to prepare a presentation. I think Alabama has a hands-on portion, but I can't remember if that is correct so someone will have to fact check that for me. Most programs I believe do not have a hands-on portion. I think most hands-on portions will have variations of asking for a crown prep and temping.

Does anyone have any additional information on UNC’s supplemental application?

Their website says under “Required Supplemental Materials” that they are asking for questions, a 2x2 photo, and board scores to be sent.

I can’t find where these questions are located. It also doesn’t say where to send the photo and scores.

I haven’t been able to contact anyone at the school. Wondering if anyone has any information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello
Do you know which programs focus more on the research?

Does anyone have any additional information on UNC’s supplemental application?

Their website says under “Required Supplemental Materials” that they are asking for questions, a 2x2 photo, and board scores to be sent.

I can’t find where these questions are located. It also doesn’t say where to send the photo and scores.

I haven’t been able to contact anyone at the school. Wondering if anyone has any information.
Same here, I can't find where to submit supplemental M either.

Have you emailed the program director?

Seeing as this thread is less active as some others, decided to make an account to see if I can help out. I matched last year and will be attending a prosth program in the upcoming weeks. I will try and be as active as possible to answer any questions to help out any applicants this year (or potentially following years).
good luck!

Hello everyone, I am a BDS graduate and have 2 years of clinical experience. What are the chances of being invited to Pros program as an internationally trained dentist?

Hello everyone, I am a BDS graduate and have 2 years of clinical experience. What are the chances of being invited to Pros program as an internationally trained dentist?
Depends on what type of program you are applying to. You won't have access to any of the VA programs since you aren't a US citizen, but most programs I think you'll have a shot at as long as your application is decently competitive. Around 50% of all applicants I believe are international so I wouldn't worry too much about being an internationally trained dentist.

I think with the UNC you have to be selected and the supplemental doesn't open until Aug 1. That's what I understood. Can somebody confirm?

I copied and pasted from the website:

Application Deadline: August 1

Applicants must utilize the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS) administered by the American Dental Education Association and the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH).

Click here to access the PASS application materials and instructions. Click here to access the MATCH application materials and instructions.

Application to the UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate School is not required until after students have been selected for the program. This application typically opens on or after August 1.

Required Supplemental Materials

• UNC-Chapel Hill Safety Questions
  • 2″x 2″ photograph
  • National Dental Board Part I (II if available)
    National Board Scores optional for international students, but should be submitted if available

For the sake of being anonymous (prosth is quite a small community), I won't list the schools I applied to, but can tell you more general information if you have questions about my application.

I know UNC and Temple this past year implemented a hands-on portion. I know Montefiore does not have a hands-on portion but requires you to prepare a presentation. I think Alabama has a hands-on portion, but I can't remember if that is correct so someone will have to fact check that for me. Most programs I believe do not have a hands-on portion. I think most hands-on portions will have variations of asking for a crown prep and temping.

Is the hands on portion during the interview? Do we have to make a power point slide of our cases? I'm misunderstanding.

Is the hands on portion during the interview? Do we have to make a power point slide of our cases? I'm misunderstanding.
Yes, the hands-on portion is during the interview.

Presentations are usually of 1 case that you have done or some sort of research review. This is dependent on the program if they do require it. If you have to do a presentation, just be prepared to answer questions/get grilled. I was recommended to not show a powerpoint of prosth cases I have done because most people don't look too highly upon that. Instead if you are to present 1 case, make sure you have a lot of photos to present for that one case.

Yes, the hands-on portion is during the interview.

Presentations are usually of 1 case that you have done or some sort of research review. This is dependent on the program if they do require it. If you have to do a presentation, just be prepared to answer questions/get grilled. I was recommended to not show a powerpoint of prosth cases I have done because most people don't look too highly upon that. Instead if you are to present 1 case, make sure you have a lot of photos to present for that one case.
That's fair. When you say for the research review, do you mean doing a presentation on a certain topic or a topic you had to personally do research on?

That's fair. When you say for the research review, do you mean doing a presentation on a certain topic or a topic you had to personally do research on?
Usually a certain topic of your choosing. I haven't heard of anyone presenting a topic they personally researched on, so I can't give you information on that.

Got an interview for a pros program. What is wax carving bench test? Same as wax up?
No, you'll carve the entire tooth using wax block. Make sure you have your tools and avoid large size carver that makes carving tiny details so difficult.

I got this from last years application cycle:

University of Alabama at Birmingham - 9/30, 10/7, 10/14 (in-person or virtual)
Loma Linda University - 9/25 (in-person)

University of California San Francisco - 10/10, 10/17, 10/18, 10/24 (in-person)
University of Connecticut - 9/12-9/13 (in-person)
Nova Southeastern University - 9/23 (zoom)
University of Florida - 9/23, 10/14 (in-person)
Georgia Regents University (Augusta University) - 9/23, 9/30, 10/14, 10/21 (in-person), 10/7 (virtual)
University of Illinois at Chicago - 9/23, 9/30, 10/14, 10/21 (in-person), 10/7 (virtual)
University of North Carolina - 9/20-21, 10/11-12 (in person)
Indiana University - 9/28 (in-person)
University of Iowa - 9/19, 9/28 (virtual)
University of Louisville -9/22-9/23 and 10/6-10/7
Louisiana State University - 9/30, 10/13-10/14 (in person)
University of Maryland - 9/13, 9/15, 9/27, 9/29 ( in person)
Boston University - 8/31, 9/2, 9/6 ( virtual or in person)
Harvard University - 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27

Tufts University -
University of Michigan - 10/5, 10/12 (in person)
University of Minnesota - 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24 (in person)

Columbia University -
New York University - 9/8 (virtual), 9/13 (virtual)
Ohio State University - 9/19, 9/26, 10/03 (in person)
Stony Brook University -
University of Pennsylvania -10/12, 10/18, 10/25 (in person)
University of Pittsburgh - 9/20, 10/4 (virtual)
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 9/30, 10/7, 10/14 (in person)

University of Texas at San Antonio - 9/13-14 (in person)
UTHealth at Houston - 10/3 (virtual), 10/12 (in-person)
DeBakey VA Houston - 10/7 (in person)
Marquette University - 10/7 (in person)
University of Washington - 9/22, 9/23 (in person)

Does anyone know about the University of Louisville program? do they teach any surgery training?

Boston University. They have a choice between in-person and virtual. What is usually recommended?
Both are a double edge sword, but if I were to say which one is better, I'd go with in-person for sure.

When you go in-person you are able to see the environment of the residency. This is hands-down one of the biggest advantages of going in-person. You can see how the lab is, how the interactions between residents are, the interaction between residents and attendings/faculty are. You can also let them see who you are as a person a lot more as well. You can see how busy the clinics are, how structured the clinics are, how many assistants or staff there are. There is just way too many things that benefit you more by going in-person than just doing online. The downside of going in-person is that if you are kind of weird or a little bit socially awkward, that may work against you. They get to know you better as a person and you could potentially be someone that they don't want in a program.

With online, you don't get any of those benefits as I mentioned above, and they don't know you as well. Which can work to your advantage if you think you look better on paper than communicating in person. You save money, you save time. Most of the time, from the programs I talked to, they favor the ones that come in-person more than the online interviews, mainly because they feel that you are more invested into the program. They may not hold it against you for doing it online, but they'll definitely have some sort of bias regardless.

Both are a double edge sword, but if I were to say which one is better, I'd go with in-person for sure.

When you go in-person you are able to see the environment of the residency. This is hands-down one of the biggest advantages of going in-person. You can see how the lab is, how the interactions between residents are, the interaction between residents and attendings/faculty are. You can also let them see who you are as a person a lot more as well. You can see how busy the clinics are, how structured the clinics are, how many assistants or staff there are. There is just way too many things that benefit you more by going in-person than just doing online. The downside of going in-person is that if you are kind of weird or a little bit socially awkward, that may work against you. They get to know you better as a person and you could potentially be someone that they don't want in a program.

With online, you don't get any of those benefits as I mentioned above, and they don't know you as well. Which can work to your advantage if you think you look better on paper than communicating in person. You save money, you save time. Most of the time, from the programs I talked to, they favor the ones that come in-person more than the online interviews, mainly because they feel that you are more invested into the program. They may not hold it against you for doing it online, but they'll definitely have some sort of bias regardless.
Does anyone know detail on the bench test? What tooth? Do they give you wax or do I need to bring my own? What size? Also, are we allowed to bring a reference guide or does it have to be by memory?

Last edited:
Does anyone know detail on the bench test? What tooth? Do they give you wax or do I need to bring my own? What size? Also, are we allowed to bring a reference guide or does it have to be by memory?
Carving of maxillary first molar. They gave the wax block but the candidates need to brig their own instruments.

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
Indiana University - 20/9 (in person)
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 23/8 (virtual)
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Marquette University -
University of Washington - 21/9, 22/9 (in person)

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 23/8 (virtual)
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
New York University -
Ohio State University - 18/9, 25/9, 2/10 (in-person)
Marquette University -

Anyone has any experience with Augusta University? how is the program?

Does anyone know anything about UWashington's interview? The email states there is a written exam, tooth prep, and wax-up. Anyone have any more info from previous years?

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 30/8
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
UT Houston- 25/9 (in person)
Marquette University -
UNC- 20/9, 21/9 (in person)

Last edited:
Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 30/8
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
New York University - 19/9, 22/9
Ohio State University -
UT Houston- 25/9 (in person)
Marquette University -
UNC- 20/9, 21/9 (in person)

Hi fellows, I have applied to 17 pros programs in July mid and early august, but I have not heard back from any program. I’m a Prosthodontic Resident requiring visa, so I know I’m at a disadvantage, but still when should I reasonably expect to be called up for an interview? Eagerly waiting for your valuable input.

Hi fellows, I have applied to 17 pros programs in July mid and early august, but I have not heard back from any program. I’m a Prosthodontic Resident requiring visa, so I know I’m at a disadvantage, but still when should I reasonably expect to be called up for an interview? Eagerly waiting for your valuable input.
I wouldn't worry as of right now since its still a bit early.

USC has filled their class I believe.

I wouldn't worry as of right now since its still a bit early.

USC has filled their class I believe.
USC has been this early? Is it because they are not participating in match? They say on the website the ddl is in November.

Didn’t applied to USC though.
Sorry, my first statement was not suppose to be associated with my 2nd one. Right now in general is still early for most programs, I would wait a bit before stressing about potential interviews.

USC has been this early? Is it because they are not participating in match? They say on the website the ddl is in November.
To my understanding, they have always been early because they were non-match. However, even for non-match programs, they are early.

Has anyone received an invitation from LSU or know if they already started sending invitations?

Does anyone know anything about UWashington's interview? The email states there is a written exam, tooth prep, and wax-up. Anyone have any more info from previous years?
I heard from someone who interviewed last year that they had to do an anterior bridge prep and wax up. I also hear the residents do a lot of aesthetic cases. That's all I know.

Hey guys!
Has anyone recieved any interview invitation from Alabama dental school??

Does everybody feel like me that last week was a bit quiet?