USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m ‘dealing with it’ hahaha. I’m going to freak out if someone who took it later that the 21st reports that their permit has disappeared.
good luck to you all... all the feels we will see if I survive this without a stress ulcer

My score should be back soon..kind of anxious now. Would be happy with anything above the mean..ecstatic with anything 240+
UWSA1:249
UWSA2:243

What did you expect with a 222 NBME 18 2 weeks out.. actually you should be happy with the 10 point increase in 2 weeks.. many people fall around the NBME 18 score..some below and few more..
IM is totally do-able.. get a few first authored pubs if you can.. that will ease the process..else 232 is more than the IMG mean of IM matched applicants..
while i agree with everything else that you say, it kind of bugs me when i see people giving nonsensical advice about research. my pet peeve when i read it here on sdn. "a few first authored pubs"? do you happen to have some? do you know anyone who does? a first authorship is a really big deal. one is plenty. most and i should stress it: MOST folks dont have any pubs after a year. some do. hardly anyone has first author pubs. you CAN write up a review if you want to. but a publication? what you recommend is pretty much like telling someone in an md/phd program to get a nature publication... yeah bro... just get it... you know...

IM is doable for an australian IMG with those scores. unlikely @ top hospitals but should be quite doable elsewhere... if you want to do research you can but because you are applying straight our of your school you dont really need it and you can squeeze in a couple of weeks/months of lab work if you can. with or without publications. just make sure you can get an LOR from whereever you do your research.

i heard though that australians tend to not do especially well when they get invited for interviews because no one understands them ...

;) jk

Members don't see this ad :)
while i agree with everything else that you say, it kind of bugs me when i see people giving nonsensical advice about research. my pet peeve when i read it here on sdn. "a few first authored pubs"? do you happen to have some? do you know anyone who does? a first authorship is a really big deal. one is plenty. most and i should stress it: MOST folks dont have any pubs after a year. some do. hardly anyone has first author pubs. you CAN write up a review if you want to. but a publication? what you recommend is pretty much like telling someone in an md/phd program to get a nature publication... yeah bro... just get it... you know...

IM is doable for an australian IMG with those scores. unlikely @ top hospitals but should be quite doable elsewhere... if you want to do research you can but because you are applying straight our of your school you dont really need it and you can squeeze in a couple of weeks/months of lab work if you can. with or without publications. just make sure you can get an LOR from whereever you do your research.

i heard though that australians tend to not do especially well when they get invited for interviews because no one understands them ...

;) jk

Yes i do.. I have multiple first authored pubs.. Dunno why you think its impossible.. See that Indian guy on YT who got 15 or so first authored dermat papers in a year.. There are many good pointers in there.. I DONOT think it is tough to get them if you know how to "work the system" so to speak.. Sure..you aint gonna have 15 papers on something like finding a new gene involved in an esoteric disease.. But its totally doable to get a few pubs.. Dont ask me to give you a link to mine because i aint doxxing myself on SDN.. but IMHO its possible..

He probably expected the 245-250 that UW2 said would happen. It’s the best predictor historically.

I think anesthesia and IM are totally in reach if you’re not picky OP.
I respectfully disagree.. Too many people have been burnt following the UWSAs... UW doesn't make the actual test.. The NBME does and there are many papers proving the statistical accuracy of the NBME tests.. just google em

i just took my exam a few days ago and im worried about the same thing

do you mind sharing your uwsa1 and uwsa2 scores mine were 228 and 224
Yeah of course. UWSA1 was a 200 6 months out. UWSA2 was a 237 around a week out. Please don’t be worried! What happened to me is super rare. I’m sure you’ll do great! =]

I respectfully disagree.. Too many people have been burnt following the UWSAs... UW doesn't make the actual test.. The NBME does and there are many papers proving the statistical accuracy of the NBME tests.. just google em

N=1, but I was within 2 points of my UWSA2; 269 to 267. My NBME were about 10 lower than my actual.

Good luck everyone! Lurker here but wanted to say this because ofc everyone worked hard. Will be getting my score in about two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the exam on 7/18, didn't know about the disappearing permit until today, so I dunno when it disappeared but it's definitely gone now. Eligibility period is until the end of August so I'm hoping it means I passed and the scores will come out tomorrow.

Just started MS-II. Know the UFAPS method, havent started studying besides just regular courses taught in class.

1. How do I go about prepping for boards? Very general I know, but should I be watching Pathoma and reading first aid now?
2. People at my school keep telling me about boards and beyond, or DIT. Does anyone recommend these? Do I need them? If so, which one?

Thank you!

Just started MS-II. Know the UFAPS method, havent started studying besides just regular courses taught in class.

1. How do I go about prepping for boards? Very general I know, but should I be watching Pathoma and reading first aid now?
2. People at my school keep telling me about boards and beyond, or DIT. Does anyone recommend these? Do I need them? If so, which one?

Thank you!

UFAP is the best there is. For micro/pharm - you can use Sketchy or Anki or even carbon copy flashcards - pick one and stick with it. That's all you need. I would recommend focusing on classes first and then starting from Christmas - use free time to start reading FA and Pathoma. You can also watch Pathoma instead of reading. Cover Pharm/micro with whatever resource you pick from Sketchy/Anki/Flashcards. This is key. Forget about UW until dedicated. Start UW during dedicated and do 2 passes: corrects and then incorrects. Then pass exam and go for short vacation before rotations start,

P.S. B&B, DIT and other crap - is for those who are at the bottom of class, who needs help or who took a year off and needs to review basic material. They take a lot of time and IMHO it's a lot better to just focus on your classes. If you do your classes good - then you won't need to resort to a DIT, b&b etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes i do.. I have multiple first authored pubs.. Dunno why you think its impossible.. See that Indian guy on YT who got 15 or so first authored dermat papers in a year.. There are many good pointers in there.. I DONOT think it is tough to get them if you know how to "work the system" so to speak.. Sure..you aint gonna have 15 papers on something like finding a new gene involved in an esoteric disease.. But its totally doable to get a few pubs.. Dont ask me to give you a link to mine because i aint doxxing myself on SDN.. but IMHO its possible..
you are an md/phd student. or you are lying.

are you saying that one can "game the system" and get 15 papers - i dont mean reviews in a year? i have done research in 4 top 3 institutions. and i have yet to see anyone with multiple publications in the first year let alone first authorships. it takes a month to write up and contact the publishers just so that you know. you may get multiple pubs in your second year but 15 first author pubs? in a local eatery. yes.

there is no way you can "game the system" unless you just fake the data and work with your PI to fake the data.

for those that doubt me: think clearly. if a single person gets 15 pubs. then what about the rest of the lab? so each gets ... lets say just 10. so my lab, for example, has 10 people. so there are 150 publications coming out of my lab. do you guys realistically assume that any PI has time to work through 150 pubs in a year? that is 3 pubs a week. anyone heard of a PI with a resume that says he has published 150 publications a year as a last author? go google. most really good LABS are happy with 5-10 publications a YEAR. very few go above that. very few across the nation, i must add. do you know that with 2 first author nature pubs you are pretty much guaranteed an assistant prof position @ harvard?

i know guys who graduated md/phd with 1-3 first authorships and a couple 2nd/3rd high end journal authorships. they were not exceptions because everyone in the lab had that. MOST md/phds are happy with a couple. so dont bs. also, i want to stress: you get least results in the first year and wtf does "game the system" actually mean? a western blot is a western blot. you have either never seen one or expect positive results every time you run one if you think you can get multiple authorships, let alone in the first year and multiple first authorships are NEVER guaranteed.

if you want to prove me wrong just send a pubmed link with 10 people with multiple first authorships. and a lab link to show they did that in their first year. i doubt you will find 1-2 in the whole country. also, i am not saying this has never been done. but to clarify this all in the usmle-like terms, this is like "recommending" folks to get a 270+. so i have never heard of a single one but that is what a multiple first year first authorship would be equal to in the eyes of folks that i have met and who love research. a single paper in the first year (not a review), in my opinion is equivalent to a 265+ ie 99 %ile but i have never seen of or heard of a single person who started off without any research background and published a first author paper within 1 year of day 1. one paper? i think it is exceedingly rare but i would not preclude that from happening. that person sure needs lotsa luck on his side but that might be doable. multiple? BS big time.

too much weed is not good for you. dont spread BS.

sorry for my rambling but as i mentioned, this is my pet peeve and i just want to put this stupidity to rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
He probably expected the 245-250 that UW2 said would happen. It’s the best predictor historically.
IMHO UWSA are meant to be taken BEFORE you start UW. Then they are a good predictor. IF you already did UW - then of course you will score more on UWSA knowing most of UW tricks and question style - and that will give you false sense of your readiness.

IMHO UWSA are meant to be taken BEFORE you start UW. Then they are a good predictor. IF you already did UW - then of course you will score more on UWSA knowing most of UW tricks and question style - and that will give you false sense of your readiness.

I’m referring to this:

In it, you’ll find that UWSA2 was the best predictor and as stated above (@WeedForLunch you should check this out) there is a lot to support UW 19 being a gross underpredictor. Yes it’s not the NBME data, but they have little incentive to actually follow up on their practice score validity.

Also, I don’t know where you get the idea that Boards and Beyond is for people at the bottom of the class. It’s a perfectly good resource to learn along with class material, especially since it’s essentially learning first aid as your foundational knowledge. Both B&B and Pathoma have their useful places in studying, especially for different learning styles.

you are an md/phd student. or you are lying.

are you saying that one can "game the system" and get 15 papers - i dont mean reviews in a year? i have done research in 4 top 3 institutions. and i have yet to see anyone with multiple publications in the first year let alone first authorships. it takes a month to write up and contact the publishers just so that you know. you may get multiple pubs in your second year but 15 first author pubs? in a local eatery. yes.

there is no way you can "game the system" unless you just fake the data and work with your PI to fake the data.

for those that doubt me: think clearly. if a single person gets 15 pubs. then what about the rest of the lab? so each gets ... lets say just 10. so my lab, for example, has 10 people. so there are 150 publications coming out of my lab. do you guys realistically assume that any PI has time to work through 150 pubs in a year? that is 3 pubs a week. anyone heard of a PI with a resume that says he has published 150 publications a year as a last author? go google. most really good LABS are happy with 5-10 publications a YEAR. very few go above that. very few across the nation, i must add. do you know that with 2 first author nature pubs you are pretty much guaranteed an assistant prof position @ harvard?

i know guys who graduated md/phd with 1-3 first authorships and a couple 2nd/3rd high end journal authorships. they were not exceptions because everyone in the lab had that. MOST md/phds are happy with a couple. so dont bs. also, i want to stress: you get least results in the first year and wtf does "game the system" actually mean? a western blot is a western blot. you have either never seen one or expect positive results every time you run one if you think you can get multiple authorships, let alone in the first year and multiple first authorships are NEVER guaranteed.

if you want to prove me wrong just send a pubmed link with 10 people with multiple first authorships. and a lab link to show they did that in their first year. i doubt you will find 1-2 in the whole country. also, i am not saying this has never been done. but to clarify this all in the usmle-like terms, this is like "recommending" folks to get a 270+. so i have never heard of a single one but that is what a multiple first year first authorship would be equal to in the eyes of folks that i have met and who love research. a single paper in the first year (not a review), in my opinion is equivalent to a 265+ ie 99 %ile but i have never seen of or heard of a single person who started off without any research background and published a first author paper within 1 year of day 1. one paper? i think it is exceedingly rare but i would not preclude that from happening. that person sure needs lotsa luck on his side but that might be doable. multiple? BS big time.

too much weed is not good for you. dont spread BS.

sorry for my rambling but as i mentioned, this is my pet peeve and i just want to put this stupidity to rest.
Fine dont believe me.. as if i care.. Also i said in the initial post that basic science lab type stuff may not be possible.. i mentioned finding a new gene for an esoteric disease may not be possible so fast..

Google "academic paper slicing" and click first result.. to know how to do this.. i.e. to game the system..There are MANY more ways.. to increase academic yield..
Dont believe me if you dont...as if i give a damn..keep ranting.. My ERAS will say > 30 first authored by the time i will apply..while you would have wasted time ranting instead of publishing..

Here's the video of the guy i referred to in my original post who got 15 in a year..

Also... you dont need to be in a lab to get a few papers.. There are many ways..
Also.. you keep saying First year...first year.. when did i say you can get it in first year of med school.. I was replying to a guy who finished 3rd year already... The goal aint to get X pubs a year..but to have the max possible come ERAS application submission day..

Life is all about ROI... use less time..get more pubs.. get a better residency...get ahead in the game.. You keep ranting at strangers online..and keep making fun of a stupid username i selected.. All it will do is make you more burnt out :p Lolz

Last edited:
UWSA 1 = 249
UWSA 2 = 243
Real Deal = 251

Really excited about this score! Felt pretty good after the exam...but was still a bit worried. Hope everyone gets the score they want! In terms of advice, I studied 6 weeks....2 full passes through FA, 1 full pass through UWorld and watched Pathoma around 3x. Hate to sound repetitive..but UFAP and you are almost guaranteed 240+. Things I regret...not starting earlier. Also..taking more practice exams...literally only did the two UW forms...have always been a good test taker, but doing some of the NBMEs probably could've got me a few more points. Either way..I had life issues happen before my dedicated period...and I only had so much time to try and master the material...I'll take my score and run with it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
UWSA 1 = 249
UWSA 2 = 243
Real Deal = 251

Really excited about this score! Felt pretty good after the exam...but was still a bit worried. Hope everyone gets the score they want! In terms of advice, I studied 6 weeks....2 full passes through FA, 1 full pass through UWorld and watched Pathoma around 3x. Hate to sound repetitive..but UFAP and you are almost guaranteed 240+. Things I regret...not starting earlier. Also..taking more practice exams...literally only did the two UW forms...have always been a good test taker, but doing some of the NBMEs probably could've got me a few more points. Either way..I had life issues happen before my dedicated period...and I only had so much time to try and master the material...I'll take my score and run with it. Good luck!

Great work, congrats on an awesome score!!

Fine dont believe me.. as if i care.. Also i said in the initial post that basic science lab type stuff may not be possible.. i mentioned finding a new gene for an esoteric disease may not be possible so fast..

Google "academic paper slicing" and click first result.. to know how to do this.. i.e. to game the system..There are MANY more ways.. to increase academic yield..
Dont believe me if you dont...as if i give a damn..keep ranting.. My ERAS will say > 30 first authored by the time i will apply..while you would have wasted time ranting instead of publishing..

Here's the video of the guy i referred to in my original post who got 15 in a year..

Also... you dont need to be in a lab to get a few papers.. There are many ways..
Also.. you keep saying First year...first year.. when did i say you can get it in first year of med school.. I was replying to a guy who finished 3rd year already... The goal aint to get X pubs a year..but to have the max possible come ERAS application submission day..

Life is all about ROI... use less time..get more pubs.. get a better residency...get ahead in the game.. You keep ranting at strangers online..and keep making fun of a stupid username i selected.. All it will do is make you more burnt out :p Lolz

You dont need to be in a lab to get scientific publications? end of discussion.

@BurnedOut Dr. Chase is Australian, that counts right?
sorry, missed this one.

hell yeah! i would definitely look for ways to get in touch! .. also, what would beat THAT lor? *damn* ;)

i actually had a friend from australia once. a really nice girl but i often had to ask her to repeat what she just said until she would s-l-o-w-l-y enunciate it. it's even more difficult than british english, especially when they talk to each other...

REAL DEAL on July 20: 250s (1 point higher than UWSA2)

It’s awesome to FINALLY get to write up my LONG Step 1 experience (and I would rather do this than study for psychiatry shelf). My goal score was 250s.

For anyone who saw my posts last year, I am a D.O. student who took COMLEX 1 last year in July (mid 600s), but ended up canceling my STEP 1 due to…well…being a little… nevermind. Anyways, this write up will cover what I did last year (COMLEX) and then mostly this year (STEP)

Last year, I planned on taking both exams within a week of each other. I used some USMLERx questions (about half) during school and then completed UWorld before taking my COMLEX 1.

Practice tests: I don’t remember the exact dates, but I remember taking a test about every week leading up to the exam with NBME 18 two days before.

NBME 16: 236

NBME 17: 240

UWSA 1: 258

NBME 19: 245

UWSA 2: between 240-245 (can’t remember)

NBME 18: 236

USMLERx: completed 50% at a score in low 70’s.

UW: completed at 77% average. Started around 68%, ended in the 80s nearly every block.

After seeing my scores increase every week, I was feeling good till I scored 236 on NBME 18. It freaked me out and I decided to cancel Step 1 knowing that I had an entire Kaplan and USMLERx qbank to complete. I felt like I would be leaving points on the table. I took COMLEX and scored mid 600s last year.

After COMLEX last year, I had a unique opportunity to take a year to complete a research/teaching fellowship at my school in between 2nd/3rd year, so I was able to start studying for Step 1 little by little starting in late February 2018.

My Qbank/practice exam scores in the order I took them:

USMLERx (only med/hard questions): ~80%

Kaplan: ~78%

UW (again): ~86% (all scores for the entire bank were between 80-95%)

UWSA2: 251 (three days before)

Free 150 (85%)—I took this at the testing center two days before and HIGHLY suggest it. It made the actual test day feel so much smoother and I even took the real exam at the same computer.

Since I had already wasted all my NBME exams from last year, I only took UWSA2 this time around.

I really think it’s imperative to do AT LEAST two full Qbanks. IMO, if you are going to choose two, I would do RX and UW. I completed Kaplan as well, but I felt like it had so many questions on details that were a little too far in the weeds and I was forgetting basic things because I was so focused on details that would never be tested on (IMO). I do think Kaplan is a good bank to do, but it I could go back, I would do Kaplan first, then Rx, then UW (RX questions are actually really good now and they grill you on First Aid stuff). The reason I think you need to do at least two banks is because they each ask questions from a slightly different perspective. They can be the same concept, but when you see it asked a certain way in different banks, it is more likely to stick. Plus, repetition.

For content review, I used Boards and Beyond and swear by it. I know everyone on here says to read First Aid 10x and memorize it, but I really don’t think that’s the best use of your time and you absolutely don’t need to memorize FA to do well. FA is made up of facts (which is important), but you need to be able to tie these things together for boards. That’s where Boards and Beyond was irreplaceable for me. There are 120 hours of videos and I watched each video at least 2x (between this year and last), and then watched trouble areas (biochem/stats/ethics) 3-4x each. This is a much better use of your time (IMO) because Dr. Ryan ties all the info together and shows you why it’s clinically relevant, which is how you are going to be tested. For example, for biochemistry he explains the pathways, but then integrates diseases, drugs and presentation so you get a snapshot of everything you need to know about a certain concept. I never directly read First Aid. Not even a page. I would reference FA when watching B and B to make sure I was covering everything though.

I also used Sketchy pharm/micro during the school year and memorized them, so I didn’t really have to re-watch any of them during dedicated (except some of the pharm). Sketchypharm is absolute MONEY. I would have never been able to straight memorize all those drugs.

Pathoma I used during school as well, but didn’t touch during dedicated (I used Boards and Beyond).

For select concepts (lysosomal storage, glycogen storage, certain cancers, genetic diseases) I loved Picmonic. Definitely hard to remember some of the pictures, but these were money for some hard-to-remember concepts.

Test day:

Block 1 felt super easy to me and then every block got tougher and tougher. The 3/4th blocks I felt like I guessed on like 30% of the questions and marked probably 15 questions. Blocks 5/6 were intermediate difficulty and then 7 was really tough. Didn’t have much trouble with timing.

After leaving, I felt like I could have scored anywhere from 220-245, but had no idea. Really didn’t feel great. I have always told people they are going to feel like crap after, but then it’s really hard to take my own medicine, especially when you start counting up questions you got wrong.

It feels so good to be done with this thing and I am glad the decision to postpone a year paid off. Good luck to the next group of test takers and thank you so much for all the help over the last two years y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
UWSA 1 = 249
UWSA 2 = 243
Real Deal = 251

how many questions did you feel like you missed after
and did you make any silly mistakes?

aiming for 250+ but i already know I made some silly mistakes
and i missed some easy ones
doubt i'll make it up there
any 250+ 'ers feel the same way after your exam ?

You should get yours this Wednesday.

I didn't think there was any way I would hit 250. I was counting up the mistakes.

Flagged around 5-6/block...immediately after the exam, I thought of 5-6 questions that I definitely missed. I still felt pretty good about the exam overall though...How did you feel after the UW forms vs. your test? Your score will likely be out 8/22 at 11am...and saw your UW forms...If I were to guess, you will end up scoring 220-232.

Last edited:
You should get yours this Wednesday.

I didn't think there was any way I would hit 250. I was counting up the mistakes.

how many mistakes did you count after your test?
if I get my score this Wednesday that would be awesome.. i only took my exam 9 days ago though, are you sure?

Flagged around 5-6/block...immediately after the exam, I thought of 5-6 questions that I definitely missed. I still felt pretty good about the exam overall though...did you take the UW forms? How did you feel after those vs. your test? Your score will likely be out 8/22 at 11am...and saw your UW forms...If I were to guess, you will end up scoring 220-232.

honestly have no clue how i did on the exam

Flagged around 5-6/block...immediately after the exam, I thought of 5-6 questions that I definitely missed. I still felt pretty good about the exam overall though...How did you feel after the UW forms vs. your test? Your score will likely be out 8/22 at 11am...and saw your UW forms...If I were to guess, you will end up scoring 220-232.

Lol nobody can tell how they made post exam. I mark half my questions on every test I ever took and it never correlated with score.
We are all poor predictors of our performance.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for such helpful advice over the past few months.

It’s crazy how different everyone’s experience is on the exam. Some people say UFAP is plenty, others come out saying “what was the point of dedicated”

Taking the exam in 3 days. So nervous because I just wish I could know what to expect.

Your score is released 4th Wednesday after your exam if you took the exam Mon, Tues or Wed and 3rd Wednesday after your exam if you took the exam Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. All releases are at 11am EST. I'm not sure if anyone has received their score in <2 weeks..so at a minimum, 3-4 weeks.

Last edited: