Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I've been following this thread since it's inception and would like to thank everyone for their contribution. I need advice/input on the following programs and how to rank them. VCU, SUNY downstate Brooklyn and St Elizabeth Boston. I'm looking for good clinical training and exposure from a reputed program. Thanks in advance
VCU
Primary care position
Hospitalist
Starbucks barista
Nephrology fellowship
Food cart burrito guy/gal
Downstate cards
(Can't comment on random community program in Boston)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hearing much from the programs? Pretty quiet since interviews ended for me. Hopefully in my head.

Anyone hearing much from the programs? Pretty quiet since interviews ended for me. Hopefully in my head.

I've gotten some replies to thank you notes that seem generic/vague and some replies that seem directed specifically at my candidacy.

I've also gotten a few phone calls from programs a while after the interview asking how my season is going, saying they liked me a lot and then wanting to know my "thoughts" ...which I understood to be their way of asking where I was ranking them. Super awkward since none of them have been my #1 and I didn't know how to answer them without answering the unspoken question and flat out saying they probably won't be ranked first. This is going to make me look ungrateful but while I'm flattered they took the time to call, I really would have just preferred an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten some replies to thank you notes that seem generic/vague and some replies that seem directed specifically at my candidacy.

I've also gotten a few phone calls from programs a while after the interview asking how my season is going, saying they liked me a lot and then wanting to know my "thoughts" ...which I understood to be their way of asking where I was ranking them. Super awkward since none of them have been my #1 and I didn't know how to answer them without answering the unspoken question and flat out saying they probably won't be ranked first. This is going to make me look ungrateful but while I'm flattered they took the time to call, I really would have just preferred an email.
i just see that as a way of a mid to low tier program trying to attract highly competitive candidates. would b surprised if top ranked programs openly do that. but I think u did the right thing by telling that u wont be ranking them number 1. professional world is small and being truthful when u feel u have good shot at matching in a top program is better, for future jobs, etc

i just see that as a way of a mid to low tier program trying to attract highly competitive candidates. would b surprised if top ranked programs openly do that. but I think u did the right thing by telling that u wont be ranking them number 1. professional world is small and being truthful when u feel u have good shot at matching in a top program is better, for future jobs, etc

Top ranked programs do do this. I also still would not take anything people say in these conversations at face value. There is no guarantee that simply because they say they're ranking you to match that this is how the cards will fall.

For what it's worth I got post match correspondence from my number two that basically said "congrats on your match, we actually ranked you to match so we are curious why you didn't rank us #1". Didn't hear a word from them prior to the match.

Any thoughts in the group on how to approach correspondence with programs 2 through 4? (if at all).

Have you guys already reached out to your #1 program? I'm a bit unclear on the timeline...

FWIW I know my home program had their rank list meeting earlier this week. I communicated my thoughts to my #1 about 2 weeks ago. I've also had a couple of friends at other institutions confirm that their local programs had their rank order meetings already as well. This may be regional and not widely representative though I suppose. If I were going to do this (communicate with my #1) I would probably do so now if I hadn't already.

Yeah, my home program was done with interviews some time ago and the friends I mention are at places that did not have late interviews so I'm sure that is probably some indicator of roughly when rank order meetings could be held. Best of luck.

Hello,

Truly need your input on :

AGH
U Tennessee memphis
Missouri-columbia
Cooper Uni
Mayo AZ

Very close to each other even after the interview, looking for academics/interventional.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for ideas on how to rank my top choices. As a background, I'm interested in imaging or interventional but not sure if I wanna go academic or private. I'm at a northeast IM program currently with lot of friends from med school and residency in my current city. My family is in san diego and atlanta. My wife's family is in dallas. Wife works in consulting and she can relocate to most major US cities. With that in mind:

Penn
UTSW
UCSD
Emory

My major concerns are that Penn and UTSW are too "academic" and won't give me enough numbers to sit for all the boards (echo, nuclear, ct). I'm also not sure how fellows do (particularly UTSW fellows) in the subspecialty match for imaging and interventional. For Emory and UCSD, I'm not sure how their overall reputation compares to Penn and UTSW. I have other programs but we've narrowed it down to these for location purposes.

Hey Guys! Was wondering about your thoughts on ranking mayo clinic vs Cleveland clinic. Thanks very much!

Looking for ideas on how to rank my top choices. As a background, I'm interested in imaging or interventional but not sure if I wanna go academic or private. I'm at a northeast IM program currently with lot of friends from med school and residency in my current city. My family is in san diego and atlanta. My wife's family is in dallas. Wife works in consulting and she can relocate to most major US cities. With that in mind:

Penn
UTSW
UCSD
Emory

My major concerns are that Penn and UTSW are too "academic" and won't give me enough numbers to sit for all the boards (echo, nuclear, ct). I'm also not sure how fellows do (particularly UTSW fellows) in the subspecialty match for imaging and interventional. For Emory and UCSD, I'm not sure how their overall reputation compares to Penn and UTSW. I have other programs but we've narrowed it down to these for location purposes.

Go with your gut feeling and where YOU thought you'd fit best as far as your personality, the program's training and culture. I have friends that ranked a program that I hated as their top choice and vice versa. There were some big name programs that just wouldn't have fit me well and potentially made me uncomfortable because my personality didn't jive with the personalities and culture there. I think all those programs will get you to where you want to be and their reputations aren't hugely different, and unlike residency where you maybe sacrificed a little bit for the sake of being competitive for fellowship, I think at this point in the game it's not worth being someplace for a 3+ years if you won't be comfortable and happy there.

Hey Guys! Was wondering about your thoughts on ranking mayo clinic vs Cleveland clinic. Thanks very much!

I would choose Cleveland based on location alone. Seriously though, I think cleveland will give a slightly better clinical experience, but either program will get you wherever you want to go and consider where you'd fit best. Personally speaking, I didn't care for the vibe I got at Mayo overall, I got a similar vibe at cleveland but not as much.

Trying to decide where to place Academic track Icahn Mount Sinai and Stanford on my list. Can anyone tell me more about these places in terms of hands-on clinical training. I'm looking for strong clinical and cardiac critical care training with autonomy, as well as strong research. Mount Sinai has NYC going for it, Stanford has better research and brand recognition? Heard that autonomy is lacking at Mount Sinai compared to other places, true? These 2 places would be somewhere in my top 5. Would really appreciate help!

Dovetailing off that -- can anyone comment further on the Mount Sinai Clinical Track?

Penn
UTSW
UCSD
Emory

Penn and Emory both are top tier. UTSW also has an outstanding program. UCSD's reputation is not in the same category as the other three programs as far as I know.

These two programs are the last two on my rank list. Both are far from home. I am interested in cardiac imaging/ gen cardiology (non-invasive). Which one would you rank above the other based on reputation? UF Jax and WSU Dayton Ohio.

Thanks a lot in advance

Agree. Penn and Emory are top tier (top 20 or so) programs, and known for clinical training, besides research. UTSW is very prestigious; clinical training is good; but more emphasis on research and training academicians, as opposed to producing strong clinicians. UCSD is not in the same league- great location nonetheless. Imaging group used to be well known when De Maria was running JACC.

Mayo is more academic; cleveland clinic is a more procedure heavy 'just do it' kind of place. If you wish to do non invasive cardiology or EP, Mayo is outstanding. For cath, cleveland clinic is obviously better.
Location wise Cleveland may be better.
In academic circles and lay media, both are equally respected. Mayo may have the academic edge..

Reactions: 1 users
Mayo is more academic; cleveland clinic is a more procedure heavy 'just do it' kind of place. If you wish to do non invasive cardiology or EP, Mayo is outstanding. For cath, cleveland clinic is obviously better.
Location wise Cleveland may be better.
In academic circles and lay media, both are equally respected. Mayo may have the academic edge..
Thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Go with your gut feeling and where YOU thought you'd fit best as far as your personality, the program's training and culture. I have friends that ranked a program that I hated as their top choice and vice versa. There were some big name programs that just wouldn't have fit me well and potentially made me uncomfortable because my personality didn't jive with the personalities and culture there. I think all those programs will get you to where you want to be and their reputations aren't hugely different, and unlike residency where you maybe sacrificed a little bit for the sake of being competitive for fellowship, I think at this point in the game it's not worth being someplace for a 3+ years if you won't be comfortable and happy there.

I would choose Cleveland based on location alone. Seriously though, I think cleveland will give a slightly better clinical experience, but either program will get you wherever you want to go and consider where you'd fit best. Personally speaking, I didn't care for the vibe I got at Mayo overall, I got a similar vibe at cleveland but not as much.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your suggestion.

Looking for someone with experience to finally reply and help out in deciding between these two : )

Drexel
Univ of Missouri at KC

thanks in advance!

Looking to see what people's thoughts were on this rank list. I am interested in solid non invasive cardiology training. Having advanced HF/transplant would be nice but not a deal breaker. Would appreciate your thoughts:

U Maryland
BMC
Yale
Temple
NYMC
UMass
Rwjms
Brown
St Elizabeth's
Dartmouth
NYMC

bmc, yale and u maryland stand out. BMC may allow you to do HF at Tufts. wd check Transplant etc at BMC. BMC has a robust amyloid program and echo lab is good.
Yale would be a better rounded program.
U Maryland used to have a very robust HF program (with Mehra and Myung Park etc- they have moved on to other prominent institutions)- would check and see how HF is there now.

Penn
UTSW
UCSD
Emory

I doubt UCSD or Emory will get you the numbers over Penn and UTSW. That should not be a consideration. Most places give you the leeway to pursue numbers to sit for the boards via elective time. I would also consider that you don't need to be boarded in everything for private practice - you can read echos without echo boards. Boards are more necessary for academia in my experience.

I have no idea how UTSW fellows do for interventional/imaging. Did you not ask them during your interview?

p diddy

Trying to decide where to place Academic track Icahn Mount Sinai and Stanford on my list. Can anyone tell me more about these places in terms of hands-on clinical training. I'm looking for strong clinical and cardiac critical care training with autonomy, as well as strong research. Mount Sinai has NYC going for it, Stanford has better research and brand recognition? Heard that autonomy is lacking at Mount Sinai compared to other places, true? These 2 places would be somewhere in my top 5. Would really appreciate help!

What is also important is what area you want to focus on in cardiology. That would help me guide you. Stanford fellows have quite a bit of autonomy.

p diddy

Hi guys I would appreciate your input in ranking these places. Location is not important to me. I care about academia, clinical experience and reputation. thanks

Hartford/UConn
Oklahoma University health sciences center
Wayne state/DMC

I am looking for any advice possible. I am a single mother, and for that reason, I want to be in the Ohio/Michigan region, where I have family. The programs I have interviewed at in these regions are:

Cincinnati
Toledo
Wayne State-Detroit Medical Center
Wright State
Kettering
Summa
Beumont Dearborn (formerly Oakwood)

Any of these are ok for me location wise. I care about reputation, and what will give me the best possibility to sub-specialize in the future (EP vs interventional).

Please help! If you are not familiar with all of the programs, please chime in on the ones you are familiar with.

Thanks so much!

HeartLady

Hi guys I would appreciate your input in ranking these places. Location is not important to me. I care about academia, clinical experience and reputation. thanks

Hartford/UConn
Oklahoma University health sciences center
Wayne state/DMC

Wayne state and OUHSC have better reputation and are better programs for academia (respectively), Hartford will get you an excellent clinical experience. Good luck!

I am looking for any advice possible. I am a single mother, and for that reason, I want to be in the Ohio/Michigan region, where I have family. The programs I have interviewed at in these regions are:

Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
Kettering
Summa

Any of these are ok for me location wise. I care about reputation, and what will give me the best possibility to sub-specialize in the future (EP vs interventional).

Please help! If you are not familiar with all of the programs, please chime in on the ones you are familiar with.

Thanks so much!

HeartLady

These are in order of reputation and clinical experience
Toledo
Wright State
Wayne State
Cincinnati
Kettering
Summa

(don't know much about beaumont)

These are in order of reputation and clinical experience
Toledo
Wright State
Wayne State
Cincinnati
Kettering
Summa

(don't know much about beaumont)
Thank you so much for the post! Do you know any specifics about cincinatti tha make it lower on the list? And do you have any more information on what makes wright higher up? I am just trying to make my list, and I am trying to walk myself through this, so I really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone else will chime in and give their opinion on the order of programs I mentioned, and the reasoning, I would be forever indebted.

Thanks!!

Any insight on Temple vs RWJMS vs NYMC? I am really struggling between these 3. Seems like NYMC isn't talked about much on SDN. The place seemed great on interview day

What has been the average number of interviews needed in the past years in order to match?

In my experience I have seen people match with as low as 4 interviews and not match with as high as 8, both had applied broadly.

Thank you

Any insight on Temple vs RWJMS vs NYMC? I am really struggling between these 3. Seems like NYMC isn't talked about much on SDN. The place seemed great on interview day

NYMC is a great program
then Temple, then RWJMS

good luck!

Thank you so much for the post! Do you know any specifics about cincinatti tha make it lower on the list? And do you have any more information on what makes wright higher up? I am just trying to make my list, and I am trying to walk myself through this, so I really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone else will chime in and give their opinion on the order of programs I mentioned, and the reasoning, I would be forever indebted.

Thanks!!

Cincinnati is a great program but their research or imaging aren't as robust as Wright state. Both will give you great exposure to clinical cards including numbers for cath

Thoughts on both Mayo satellite campuses?

Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your input and contributions to this thread. I was hoping to get some advice/input on the following programs, as I'm struggling on how to compose my rank list. I'm interested in heart failure/transplant and critical care, and location is not an issue for me, I'm open to moving anywhere.

Ohio State
Indiana University
VCU
University of Florida
Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Having trouble to decide between my first and second choices. Want to stay in academics(not sure) and will need a visa waiver.
1- U Colorado
2- UAB

Felt a good vibe from both programs, but a little bit more comfortable in UAB. Denver is nice, but clearly overrated. Birmingham is livable. Research is equal, maybe a little more impressive in Colorado, but not in the area that I want.

Thanks

Having trouble to decide between my first and second choices. Want to stay in academics(not sure) and will need a visa waiver.
1- U Colorado
2- UAB

Felt a good vibe from both programs, but a little bit more comfortable in UAB. Denver is nice, but clearly overrated. Birmingham is livable. Research is equal, maybe a little more impressive in Colorado, but not in the area that I want.

Thanks

Colorado is a little more competitive/desirable but both are good programs. Denver is a super fun city, much larger than Birmingham. Research is stronger there like you said. UAB is still solid but downtrending a little in recent years; they had a lot of solid faculty retire last few years. On my interview there the fellows said that echo was a weakness of the program, which was a turnoff for me. Whether you are interested in noninvasive or not, you should expect to come out comfortable with a procedure as basic as reading an echo. UAB has a heavier fellow workload overall; the fellows on service seemed really tired there. Colorado has a more robust interventional culture, but UAB has a decent reputation for EP, though they work crazy hours and have a culture of coming in for procedures in the middle of the night. Kind of depends on what you see yourself doing long term. Hope that was helpful.

AGH , Kansas university, Hartford/UCONN, Cook county
how would u rank these programs, guys ?

1- U Colorado
2- UAB

Thanks

With regards to reputation in academia at the national/international level, UAB may have a slight edge. UC Denver clearly has a very famous interventional/outcomes research program and is in a desirable location- I am personally not a big fan of snow.
EP, heart failure, epidemiology/prevention are clearly better at UAB. Most famous/busy EP programs work their fellows hard as it is a procedural specialty.
Birmingham is livable, but smaller. I would assume patients would be sicker in deep south than Colorado, with more diffuse CAD and presenting late etc.
UAB had Navin Nanda/Iskandrian for imaging who have been leaders in the field (I interviewed there in 2008). Not sure why the echo training is considered poor now. They should still be around.
Since you will need a J1 visa waiver, would ask PDs at both places whether they will sponsor it for you at the VA (if you turn out to be good fit). With Denver being a more desirable location for many applicants, waiver jobs in cardiology may be harder to arrange. Would strongly advise looking in to this issue.
The other question is do you want to live in a red state or blue state???

Hi guys,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for all the great information posted on this thread during what seems to be a challenging year for Cardiology.

Was looking for some help in terms of ROL with a few programs. I'm looking for somewhere with great clinical teaching and where I'll get an all-around great foundation in imaging, interventional, non-invasive and CCU/critical care in a supportive environment with opportunities to do offsite electives. Location is not of utmost importance to me.

Baystate
SUNY Upstate
Cooper
Summa Health
Wayne State

Thanks again!

Hey everyone. Any further input on any of these programs?

Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
Kettering
Summa

I am trying to form my list and still am not sure what to do, so ANY additional input would be truly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

HeartLady

Hi guys,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for all the great information posted on this thread during what seems to be a challenging year for Cardiology.

Was looking for some help in terms of ROL with a few programs. I'm looking for somewhere with great clinical teaching and where I'll get an all-around great foundation in imaging, interventional, non-invasive and CCU/critical care in a supportive environment with opportunities to do offsite electives. Location is not of utmost importance to me.

Baystate
SUNY Upstate
Cooper
Summa Health
Wayne State

Thanks again!

Wayne State
Summa Health-- although new, has a strong program with good relations with CCF and Case Western along with NEOMED
Cooper
Suny Upstate- friendly program, heard that fellows are not well supported by the administration, weak in clinicals (except interventional)
Baystate- has excellent interventional program but all others are mediocre