Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartm.d.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Will be applying for cardiology this year. Would appreciate any advice. What is the timeline (application opens, interview dates, list due, etc.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am an IMG thinking of applying for General cardiology fellowship this cycle and was wondering if anyone here knows fellows who have done their fellowship on H1- B extension from an approved i-140 filed through employer sponsored PERM (EB2 green card). I would greatly appreciate any insight on this. Thanks again and wish you all the very best for the upcoming cycle.

Can someone tell me when most interview's occur ? I see from previous threads invites occur between 7/15 - 8/15. What dates should I plan on interviewing on ?

Can someone tell me when most interview's occur ? I see from previous threads invites occur between 7/15 - 8/15. What dates should I plan on interviewing on ?

September and October

Hi all,

Is it better to apply with 1 pd + 2 excellent letter or 1 pd + 2 excellent letter and one ok letter?

good luck everyone.

Hi all,

Is it better to apply with 1 pd + 2 excellent letter or 1 pd + 2 excellent letter and one ok letter?

good luck everyone.
If you submit the 3 great LORs, that's what programs will remember. If you add the OK one, that's what programs will remember.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

good luck everyone.

FWIW an "ok" vs "excellent" letter is very subjective. I was asked multiple times about one particular letter that was written less effusively and extravagantly than others (since it was the writing style of the attending) when I interviewed at one program which will remain nameless. Not a single other program mentioned a single word about it and said all of my letters were excellent. Needless to say that experience left a sour taste in my mouth

What is the deal with the programs on ERAS that have two options listed to click that do not designate a difference in them. First example on the programs list is Allegheny Health Network. It has options for Fellowship and Cardiovascular Disease with no designation between the two. Do you click both? Are they the same? Anyone know?

Same question as powerplant. Also, two more:
1) do residents have a DEA number?
2) do we have to manually go to NBME.org and "release" USMLE transcript, or do we just pay MyERAS $80 to do it all when we submit?

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones that have one have one.

If you don't already know the answer to this question, then the answer is no.

That doesn't make sense, and no need to act like a such a deuchebag. If you prefer to troll everyone rather than answer basic questions, why did you want to grow up and become a message board moderator?

I prescribe medicine every day electronically, where I have never had to use a DEA number. Totally reasonable to not know if this only comes with a state license after training or if we all have one hidden in our residency file somewhere.

So does anyone know the answers to those questions, as well as what the deal is with the multiple checkboxes on some of the programs listed on MyERAS? If you don't that's fine, just spare us all the snark.

That doesn't make sense, and no need to act like a such a deuchebag. If you prefer to troll everyone rather than answer basic questions, why did you want to grow up and become a message board moderator?

I prescribe medicine every day electronically, where I have never had to use a DEA number. Totally reasonable to not know if this only comes with a state license after training or if we all have one hidden in our residency file somewhere.

So does anyone know the answers to those questions, as well as what the deal is with the multiple checkboxes on some of the programs listed on MyERAS? If you don't that's fine, just spare us all the snark.

I think the DEA depends on the state. Where I am in residency all the residents use the same DEA number with a modifier on the end to differentiate us. I left that box blank because I do not have my own, yet. We are also not required to have a medical license. Still no answer on the multiple options under certain programs, obviously.

In order to have a DEA number, you have to apply for one. If you haven't applied for one, you don't have one (and have been using the hospital one). The only thing you need a DEA # to prescribe is scheduled meds.

Most interns understand this.

The only thing you need a DEA # to prescribe is scheduled meds.

Most interns understand this.

The function of a DEA number is entirely unrelated to my post. Most interns can also answer a question in fewer than two attempts.

dear members, is it possible to match into a cardio fellowship without having any publications other than inhouse abstracts/posters, ie nothing peerreviewed?

dear members, is it possible to match into a cardio fellowship without having any publications other than inhouse abstracts/posters, ie nothing peerreviewed?

Absolutely, it's just one part of the entire application, an application that also includes IM program, LORs, step scores, chief year, advanced degrees (PhD in particular), etc. However, an applicant should definitely have something going on to show they're interested and serious about cards. If aiming for the big name academic places, having strong research cred. would probably be more important, but I know of people who matched well that went to solid IM programs and didn't have much as far as research/publications other than an ongoing research project.

Reactions: 1 user

You don't necessarily have to have published something unless you're aiming for a more academic institution (think the Harvard programs, UCSF, JHH, Penn, etc). However you should be involved in some sort of ongoing research project because it indicates an interest in cardiology and that your application for the field has some backing to it.

This also depends a lot upon what sort of applicant you are. A USMD grad going to an academic at least mid tier residency with decent scores, decent letters, and good clinical evaluations is at an advantage over an FMG with visa issues going to a community residency. Certainly not impossible but definitely not as easy.

Good luck to all those applying this year!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Do you guys know if the ACLS/BLS section and expiration date on ERAS is required for submission? I'm updating my training soon and may be cutting it close and wouldn't want it to interfere with submitting on time. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts on timing of application upload for all us neurotics out there? Right away on July 6th or just before July 15th?

Hi everyone! Do you guys know if the ACLS/BLS section and expiration date on ERAS is required for submission? I'm updating my training soon and may be cutting it close and wouldn't want it to interfere with submitting on time. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Nobody will care. Put a date in and call it good.

Thanks for creating this thread! I will be applying this year for Cardio! Though the lifestyle is poor and reimbursement is decreasing, the passion for cardio is not:)

I'm confused. Can we apply on July 6th or July 15th?

The AAMC website says: "July 6, 2016 Fellowship applicants may apply to July application cycle programs only."
The ERAS handbook says: "The first day that applicants can certify and submit their application will be July 15th."

Is it just that the programs cannot actually start seeing applications until July 15th? If that's the case is there any value to applying on July 6th versus July 10th? Either way the program would not see it. I wouldn't want to wait all the way until July 15th in case they start downloading applications and yours is not yet available.

I'm one year out of residency, so I don't have a ton of people to compare notes with and figure this out. Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly how the ERAS application process will work.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can clarify for me!

Last edited:
I'm confused. Can we apply on July 6th or July 15th?

The AAMC website says: "July 6, 2016 Fellowship applicants may apply to July application cycle programs only."
The ERAS handbook says: "The first day that applicants can certify and submit their application will be July 15th."

Is it just that the programs cannot actually start seeing applications until July 15th? If that's the case is there any value to applying on July 6th versus July 10th? Either way the program would not see it. I wouldn't want to wait all the way until July 15th in case they start downloading applications and yours is not yet available.

I'm one year out of residency, so I don't have a ton of people to compare notes with and figure this out. Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly how the ERAS application process will work.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can clarify for me!

To clarify your doubts:

You can certify your resume on July 6th at 9am ET, but can't apply to programs until July 15th. Programs can access and download only on July 15th and it falls on Friday. Usually it takes few hours to days to transmit the complete application package to programs by ERAS. So, I don't think anyone will be interested in downloading application on Friday. I hope it helps!

Question. After interviews if I a professor, who is not among my LORs authors, call the PD of the fellowship to help my application, does it sound wired?
The reason I am saying is that this professor is my personal friend and he wrote me a letter but I am not going to submit it.

Question. After interviews if I a professor, who is not among my LORs authors, call the PD of the fellowship to help my application, does it sound wired?
The reason I am saying is that this professor is my personal friend and he wrote me a letter but I am not going to submit it.

If the professor is a cardiologist and has worked with you in some capacity then sure.

If PD gets a call from your friend professor, then the pd will more likely look into your application. Also, he will look for your friend professor's LOR and then it will be weird unfortunately. Either All or none!

Sorry another question - for the USMLE transcript, aside from authorizing it on ERAS, is there anything else we need to specifically do to upload them onto ERAS (e.g. go onto the USMLE website to request a release)? Thanks!!

Does it matter 3 or 4 LORs. Some programs say 3 letters, some say at least 3?

While filling ERAS publications, an article published in a journal which does not provide a volume /issue number/page number but is PUBMED indexed and has PUBMED ID along with DOI no. ..... Should it be under Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts or Peer Reviewed Online Publication ?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but can anyone speak to the Mount Sinai Listings (attached image). Specifically, differences between these? None of them outright states that it is a clinical versus research pathway...
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 8.24.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 8.24.19 PM.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 90
Does it matter 3 or 4 LORs. Some programs say 3 letters, some say at least 3?
As long as all four lor's are good, it doesn't matter. One weak or average lor have the potential to bring down the rest of the strong lor's.
Good luck.

As long as all four lor's are good, it doesn't matter. One weak or average lor have the potential to bring down the rest of the strong lor's.
Good luck.
Thanks a lot.

Are people going with mostly Cardiology letters or half IM and half cardio

Are people going with mostly Cardiology letters or half IM and half cardio

Yea so I did 4 LOR- the required 1 was my IM program director (not a cardiologist), an IM associate program director (general IM outpatient/inpatient staff), then 2 other cardiologists: General Cardiologist and EP cardiologist (worked with one multiple times on service and the other was a research mentor).

Everything I've heard is that you have letters from people who know you and can speak to an aspect of who you are as a candidate. A cards fellow made the joke that cardiologist are really just "IM staff that do echo and cath" - clearly an over simplification, but I think it does support the notion that LOR don't need to be the biggest baddest cardiologist at your institution.

I have no data to support the above but hopefully that is reassuring in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long is the EFDO taking to upload the letters this time? Is it really 5 days as they are saying! Just wondering how long did it take for people on here ?

Last edited:
How long is the EFDO taking to upload the letters this time? Is it really 5 days as they are saying! Just wondering how long did it take for people on here ?

It varies. My one letter got uploaded in 7 days which is 2 weeks ago and other two letters uploaded within 2 days last week. My fourth letter is still not uploaded.

It varies. My one letter got uploaded in 7 days which is 2 weeks ago and other two letters uploaded within 2 days last week. My fourth letter is still not uploaded.

My first letter was uploaded on Thursday and is still not available! Well I guess it's wait and watch. I don't know what takes them "5 days" :X

While filling ERAS publications, an article published in a journal which does not provide a volume /issue number/page number but is PUBMED indexed and has PUBMED ID along with DOI no. ..... Should it be under Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts or Peer Reviewed Online Publication ?

I also need an answer to this ....anyone?

I also need an answer to this ....anyone?

It should be listed as online publication. Volume and issue number are essential components of hard copy journal articles. As long as it's peer reviewed, I don't think it matters to the PDs where you put it