Cardiology fellowship application 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takotsubo13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit late in the game but nobody has started a thread so far, lets get this rolling.

Med school/visa: Non US-IMG
Residency: Low-Mid Tier University program
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 250s
Step 3: 240s
Research: Mostly abstracts (3 submitted as first author to conferences). Will try to get one manuscript submitted. Some case reports (not first author). No published manuscript.
Applying: Will probably apply to 120-150 programs

Debating whether to choose a cardiology research letter from before residency (big name) or a clinical cardiology letter during residency. Planning to do 2 cardio, 1 IM, 1 PD. Any thoughts on that vs 3 cardio and 1 PD letter? Research vs clinical letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for getting this started. You should definitely have at least 1 clinical cardiology letter, as well as the PD letter. For letters 3 and 4, if you have done significant research, it would be a red flag to not include a research letter (whether cardiology or not). The last letter can be clinical if you've already used a research letter; not sure that having 3 clinical letters in addition to the PD letter is a good idea - does the 3rd truly add anything that the 1st two and PD letter do not? Less likely.

No point worrying about your research now - what you have is what you have. Not all programs seek to train future leaders in research, and it's important that you be honest with yourself and programs you apply to about your goals. Also, because programs get so many "posers", being honest will likely be appreciated. You do not want to end up at a research focused place if you want to go into private practice. Not only will you be unhappy, you also will not get the skills and numbers you need. For instance, to practice independently in the U.S. you would need "level 2" certification in echo, cath, etc. Many of the big name programs are unable to facilitate you getting the required volumes for level 2 in multiple areas. Unlike choosing medical school and residency, you can really shoot yourself in the foot if you aren't honest about fit for fellowship.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for starting this up. Anyone have a feel whether interviews will be mostly virtual or in-person this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for getting this started. You should definitely have at least 1 clinical cardiology letter, as well as the PD letter. For letters 3 and 4, if you have done significant research, it would be a red flag to not include a research letter (whether cardiology or not). The last letter can be clinical if you've already used a research letter; not sure that having 3 clinical letters in addition to the PD letter is a good idea - does the 3rd truly add anything that the 1st two and PD letter do not? Less likely.

No point worrying about your research now - what you have is what you have. Not all programs seek to train future leaders in research, and it's important that you be honest with yourself and programs you apply to about your goals. Also, because programs get so many "posers", being honest will likely be appreciated. You do not want to end up at a research focused place if you want to go into private practice. Not only will you be unhappy, you also will not get the skills and numbers you need. For instance, to practice independently in the U.S. you would need "level 2" certification in echo, cath, etc. Many of the big name programs are unable to facilitate you getting the required volumes for level 2 in multiple areas. Unlike choosing medical school and residency, you can really shoot yourself in the foot if you aren't honest about fit for fellowship.
This can’t not over emphasized. Many applicants going into the process shooting for the name/prestige but want to make PP $$$. Research is important, but it’s important for the right people.

Thanks for starting this up. Anyone have a feel whether interviews will be mostly virtual or in-person this year?

Seems most like virtual. A few programs have already stated they intend to do virtual in line with AAMC preliminary recommendations. That being said, probably nobody knows how it will be for each individual program until invites are sent out.

do you think there will be "signaling". Like how last year when applying for residency programs they had 5 tokens or something to use to flag programs they are interested in?

Woo! Here we go. I go to a mid to low tier program community program under the guise of a university program (no research, I have to drive everything). USMD. Step 1 226, Step 2 224, step 3 207 😭.

I have 18 pubmed indexed peer reviewed articles/abstracts. 8 published articles. 4 first author. Won my state ACP abstract competition w/ the research I started. I feel pretty confident in my LOR's. Hoping for a mid-tier program with research opportunities on the west coast.

wondering if the fellowship application cycle is rolling or not. looks like we can submit July 6th. But programs can't start reviewing until July 20th. I imagine that programs reorganize their lists based on quality of the application and not necessarily on timing of when you submitted your application. looking for general guidance. I was wondering for example if a paper got accepted in that time up until the 20th can I update my application without going to the bottom of the list. appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a spreadsheet yet for this year like in previous years?

Are abstracts published in the respective conference journal (e.g JACC for the ACC meeting) considered a peer-reviewed abstract? Or would you put it under posters. It is confusing as what would fit under published abstract and also on the ACC website it is listed that the perk of submitting to ACC is to get published in the journal. It is so confusing

3EA81A81-E80E-4C13-89BF-9C8629F69277.png

Does yours say July 6th or 7th for the certification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone made a spreadsheet yet? Seems like it was really helpful in the past

Seems a bit late in the game but nobody has started a thread so far, lets get this rolling.

Med school/visa: Non US-IMG
Residency: Low-Mid Tier University program
Step 2: 250s
Step 3: Result pending (expected 220-230)
Research: Mostly abstracts (3 submitted as first author to conferences). Will try to get one manuscript submitted. Some case reports (not first author). No published manuscript.
Applying: Will probably apply to 120-150 programs

Debating whether to choose a cardiology research letter from before residency (big name) or a clinical cardiology letter during residency. Planning to do 2 cardio, 1 IM, 1 PD. Any thoughts on that vs 3 cardio and 1 PD letter? Research vs clinical letter? Also worried research is not significant.
Thanks for getting this started!

Is there a Discord or a Spreadsheet?

MS: Mid-tier
Residency- Mid-tier
Step 2: 240s
Step 3: 230s
Research: 6 published manuscripts (3/6 1st author); 2 pending; 8 abstracts/posters
Applying 110-120 programs

Debating whether or not to send only 3 letter (to programs that request 3) vs .4.

Is there a Discord or a Spreadsheet?

MS: Mid-tier
Residency- Mid-tier
Step 2: 240s
Step 3: 230s
Research: 6 published manuscripts (3/6 1st author); 2 pending; 8 abstracts/posters
Applying 110-120 programs

Debating whether or not to send only 3 letter (to programs that request 3) vs .4.
Wow that's a lot of programs for seemingly competitive statistics and research. Were you advised to apply to this many by your mentors?

Go ahead and submit

Anyone know how long after submission they should anticipate interviews/communication

Anyone know how long after submission they should anticipate interviews/communication

Based on last year's spreadsheet, it seems around the earliest was near July 27-30, but a majority were around August 20 - 28.

is anyone having trouble with letters of recommendation. my LOR document page got that traffic light look. 1 green (done and certified), 1 yellow (uploaded but ****ras hasn't certified it and then 1 red where my letter writer is still working on uploading it)

How about we duplicate (to keep the original) last year's spreadsheet and delete its content and use it for this year? Anyone good with this stuff?

Reactions: 1 users
is anyone having trouble with letters of recommendation. my LOR document page got that traffic light look. 1 green (done and certified), 1 yellow (uploaded but ****ras hasn't certified it and then 1 red where my letter writer is still working on uploading it)
LOR upload is definitely taking a while, sometimes up to 6 business days, but most of my letters took exactly 5 business days to upload.

Got one from them and another from Washington University Seattle

curious, do the west affliliated applicants have the worst chances? I ask because of the person on the spreadsheet (only one from the west) that said they are "desperate" and applied to all program.

curious, do the west affliliated applicants have the worst chances? I ask because of the person on the spreadsheet (only one from the west) that said they are "desperate" and applied to all program.
Everyone has different reasons for applying to the number they ultimately chose. From the post it looks like a low step score may be the limiter but I am only assuming.

Lets keep the convo here. Some weird applicants are messing up with the spreadsheet unfortunately

Radio silence continues…

As a future applicant to cardiology, those research numbers are absolutely terrifying...

Geisinger PA rejection

Icahn Sinai NYC “still reviewing no status updates “

this cycle has not started yet or only for me is silent?

Rejection from Brown and Boston

Lets revive this thread as some are messing up the spreadsheet

Can anyone with University of Rochester interview confirm that all spots are booked

What are the options if you go unmatched on a J1 visa? Do you have to do a waiver and re-apply in 3 years?? How can you re-apply in one year? Also, I've only heard people in a J1 doing the 3-year waiver in the US, but I would rather go to my home country for the 2-year period and come back. Has anyone heard about someone doing this? Is it more difficult to find a job if you do that vs 3-year waiver here? Thanks!