Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wayne State
Summa Health-- although new, has a strong program with good relations with CCF and Case Western along with NEOMED
Cooper
Suny Upstate- friendly program, heard that fellows are not well supported by the administration, weak in clinicals (except interventional)
Baystate- has excellent interventional program but all others are mediocre

I'm not sure about Wayne State! Especially I heard from many fellows and their own IM residents that the culture is different now, lot of scut work and fellows are overworked. Not to forget that many of their own grad mention it is a malignant program. So, I'd look into that and not get sidetracked with just the University name!

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to see what y'all's rank was on these. Mostly clinical/community programs. Looking at best clinical training and reputation. Any thoughts on the programs?

Hofstra-LIJ
Cook County
Aurora Health
UF Jacksonville
Summa
Cleveland clinic Florida
Mount Sinai Miami
Advocate Masonic

With regards to reputation in academia at the national/international level, UAB may have a slight edge. UC Denver clearly has a very famous interventional/outcomes research program and is in a desirable location- I am personally not a big fan of snow.
EP, heart failure, epidemiology/prevention are clearly better at UAB. Most famous/busy EP programs work their fellows hard as it is a procedural specialty.
Birmingham is livable, but smaller. I would assume patients would be sicker in deep south than Colorado, with more diffuse CAD and presenting late etc.
UAB had Navin Nanda/Iskandrian for imaging who have been leaders in the field (I interviewed there in 2008). Not sure why the echo training is considered poor now. They should still be around.
Since you will need a J1 visa waiver, would ask PDs at both places whether they will sponsor it for you at the VA (if you turn out to be good fit). With Denver being a more desirable location for many applicants, waiver jobs in cardiology may be harder to arrange. Would strongly advise looking in to this issue.
The other question is do you want to live in a red state or blue state???

Thanks for the comprehensive review of both programs. In terms of training, I actually think they are equal and now I am considering other factors as cost of living, visa and family in order to decide. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Any further input on any of these programs?

Cincinnati
Toledo
Wayne State-Detroit Medical Center
Wright State
Kettering
Summa
Beumont Dearborn (formerly Oakwood)

I am trying to form my list and still am not sure what to do, so ANY additional input would be truly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

HeartLady

Anyone? Pretty please? Getting nervous as the deadline nears. Im interested in reputation, strong clinical training, and which will allow me best opportunity to subspecialize in the future.

Thanks in advance,

HeartLady

Did anyone hear post-interview from Stanford, UCLA, or Columbia aside from a reply for the initial thank you? I know it doesn't matter ultimately (keep telling myself that) but would also want to be real and manage my expectations. I thought the interviews for these places went well... please share either way to help manage my anxiety.

I would be interested to get thoughts on the following programs in terms of general academic reputation and ability to relocate to a semi-desirable location after fellowship. I am most likely interested in noninvasive cardiology, but I'm not certain and want to make sure I get adequate procedural numbers in case I change my mind. Thanks all.

Washington University (STL)
Michigan
Emory
University of Washington (SEA)
Texas Heart
Loyola
Colorado

I'd appreciate any last minute input regarding overall program strength, reputation, and livability for these programs for my rank list.

University of Minnesota
Georgetown
Rochester
Brown
University of Illinois Chicago (UIC)

I enjoyed my interview visit at all 5 and I have no restrictions on location. My gut instinct is not helping. Thank you!

I would be interested to get thoughts on the following programs in terms of general academic reputation and ability to relocate to a semi-desirable location after fellowship. I am most likely interested in noninvasive cardiology, but I'm not certain and want to make sure I get adequate procedural numbers in case I change my mind. Thanks all.

Michigan
Emory
Texas Heart
Loyola
Colorado

Wash U, Michigan, Emory are in the same tier.. top 15 programs or whatever that means. Wash U and Michigan get a lot of respect on the coasts; hence it shd be easier to relocate. Atlanta is a good city to live in. These programs will be busy (higher clinical volume than the big '4'), may be less busy than Texas heart..
UDub (top 25)- less of a clinical powerhouse; strong echo with Otto and adult congenital program; they seem to have jumped on the 3D bandwagon as well; so may be turning around. wd look in to how their clinical volume is these days. strong research infrastructure. Now if you want to live in Seattle, that is a different story..
Texas heart is probably the most clinically bad ass program on your list; but who wants to do another residency???
Colorado- good program in a desirable location (not in the same league as other programs you have).
Don't know much about Loyola.
Reputations in academia take time to change and remember that reputation is only reputation- there wd be at most only moderate correlation between reputation and trainee satisfaction in general; hence a s0-called great program may not live up to your expectation, and you may get great clinical training in a not so famous program.
Main advantage of training in a big cardiology division is that your training is more immune to unexpected faculty departures as there is a critical mass of faculty at all times.
Congratulations on a great list.. you won't go wrong with most of them on the list!!
In terms of echo training alone, Wash U (Perez), Emory (Lerakis etc) and UWash stand out. Haven't seen anything great come out of Michigan's echo lab in last few years. But I cd be wrong..

I'd appreciate any last minute input regarding overall program strength, reputation, and livability for these programs for my rank list.

University of Minnesota
Georgetown
Rochester
Brown

I enjoyed my interview visit at all 5 and I have no restrictions on location. My gut instinct is not helping. Thank you!
'
If you can survive the Tundra, may be University of Minnesota-are they still losing faculty though???
Georgetown is also very good..
UIC is meh.. good city though..
Brown, Rochester- I don't have much idea, except that Rochester seems to have a good ep program and was one of the main sites of MADIT trials..

Michigan
Emory
Texas Heart
Loyola
Colorado

What are your career goals? If you're interested in a clinical career, then texas heart is the strongest and despite the poster above, it is NOT like residency (based on friends experiences there), but it's not known for its research(there is plenty of interesting projects going on but it's not the main thrust of the program). Loyola would probably be last on that list for reputation, and the others are your typical balanced programs with certain strengths/weaknesses, but are more or less the same, with maybe colorado being slightly below WashU, Michigan, Emory and UW. In any case no one is going to get excited that you went to one of those programs over another, go with whichever program resonated most with you. None of the programs on your list would hold you back from finding a job elsewhere, that part is entirely up to you; what kind of job you're looking for, your subspecialty, salary requirements, etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
any thoughts on Mt. Sinai, FL vs University of Tennessee, Knoxville? My interview experience was much better at Knoxville than at Mt. Sinai but not sure how they fare as individual programs... appreciate your input..

Wanted to see what y'all's rank was on these. Mostly clinical/community programs. Looking at best clinical training and reputation. Any thoughts on the programs?

Hofstra-LIJ
Cook County
Aurora Health
UF Jacksonville
Summa
Cleveland clinic Florida
Mount Sinai Miami
Advocate Masonic

hey, I interviewed at Summa, CCF (FL) and Mt. Sinai, FL. of these 3, I felt Summa (although new) is a much stronger program with close ties to CCF (Ohio), Case Western and Neomed. Cleveland Clinic in Florida is average. They do not have advanced heart failure and imaging, but otherwise it's a decent program. I rotated there as a medical student as well and had actually really liked it. Mt. Sinai, although in a great location and private hospital, I thought was ok. I am basing this on my experience from the interview day. I felt the program director wasn't very friendly and I felt a sense of arrogance from some of the other faculty members and the program coordinator as well. UF Jacksonville is another average-good program. It may even have a little better reputation compared to Cleveland Clinic Florida.

would love to hear your thoughts on Mt. Sinai...

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm 70/30 split academic vs private practice at this point, but I would be shocked if I did interventional, which is why I have THI a little lower on the list despite the strong clinical reputation and incredible facilities.

These two programs are the last on my rank list. UF Jacksonville and WSU Dayton OH. I was wondering if anyone has any input on which to rank above the other. I am interested in non-invasive and both locations are equally distant from home. Thank you very much

Any thoughts on how you would rank these???

UVA
JEFF
TEMPLE
BROWN
MARYLAND
ROCHESTER
PENN STATE

Hey guys, I know it's last minute but any help on deciding between these programs would be great. I'm interested in heart failure and critical care, and location is not an option for me.

Ohio State
University of Florida Gainesville
VCU
Indiana Univ

Thank you so much. Any advice at this point is greatly appreciated!

Michigan
Emory
Texas Heart
Loyola
Colorado
]

Wash U great imaging and numbers and reputation
UW great imaging and OK numbers
Michigan solid all around
Emory
Colorado
Texas Heart they image the coronary arteries via invasive angiography
Loyola weakest

p diddy

University of Minnesota
Georgetown
Rochester
Brown

by program strength

minnesota
Brown = georgetown
rochester
UIC

by livability

Brown = georgetown

the rest suck unless you are an Eskimo. a desolate Eskimo.

p diddy

Any thoughts on how you would rank these???

UVA
JEFF
TEMPLE
BROWN
MARYLAND
ROCHESTER
PENN STATE

Uva way up there

BROWN = MARYLAND = ROCHESTER
TEMPLE = JEFF
PENNSTATE

p diddy

Hey guys, I know it's last minute but any help on deciding between these programs would be great. I'm interested in heart failure and critical care, and location is not an option for me.

Ohio State
University of Florida Gainesville
VCU
Indiana Univ

Thank you so much. Any advice at this point is greatly appreciated!

Ohio State >>>>> VCU > indiana > UFL

p diddy

Hysteria has arrived, cannot sleep!

I need help with ranking these programs. just for general training not sub interest yet, no location preference just quality wise:
University of Miami jackson.hospital
Mayo Florida
University of kentucky
Tulane
Iowa
Loyola
University of tennessee memphis

Ps ps ps ps
I know the deadline is today... just need a final dose of common sense

Thanks

As the rank list closes, I want to wish you all good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
by program strength

minnesota
Brown = georgetown
rochester
UIC

by livability

Brown = georgetown

the rest suck unless you are an Eskimo. a desolate Eskimo.

p diddy

When did Chicago become Eskimo-ville??

@
For EP I may argue that both Indiana and VCU (with Ellenbogen) are more reputed than OSU..
Any input on the following, in terms on how they rank, no location preference and no subspecialty preference

Mayo Florida
University of kentucky
Tulane
Iowa
Loyola
Thanks!

Uva way up there

BROWN = MARYLAND = ROCHESTER
TEMPLE = JEFF
PENNSTATE

p diddy

I found UVA to be similar to the other top three. Good research, but much weaker numbers than Brown, MD, Rochester

@

Any input on the following, in terms on how they rank, no location preference and no subspecialty preference

Mayo Florida
University of kentucky
Tulane
Iowa
Loyola
Thanks!

i think iowa stands out among the group- it is very academic but somewhat low volume (interviewed there in 2008 things may have changed); tulane, loyola are good as well. Miami has lot of potential- but they are affiliated with a county hospital and have lost faculty.. clinical training would be unbeat.
Mayo Florida just rides on the Mayo Rochester coattails I am afraid..

Best of luck on the match future colleagues!

Reactions: 1 users
Just some food for thought: our fate is already sealed. In case you don't know, the match algorithm/software runs in under half a minute. This happened yesterday at 9 p.m. The NRMP are being sadistic by making us wait for 3 weeks :laugh::poke: :bang:

Just some food for thought: our fate is already sealed. In case you don't know, the match algorithm/software runs in under half a minute. This happened yesterday at 9 p.m. The NRMP are being sadistic by making us wait for 3 weeks :laugh::poke: :bang:

Anyone know for sure if program deadline for rank list was yesterday as well? If so, where'd you find the info? Thanks in advance!

HeartLady

Please tell us you're joking.
Im not quite sure what you mean? why would i be joking? I know that the applicant deadline was yesterday. I am asking if program's deadline was yesterday as well. I guess I am missing the joke.

HeartLady

Im not quite sure what you mean? why would i be joking? I know that the applicant deadline was yesterday. I am asking if program's deadline was yesterday as well. I guess I am missing the joke.

HeartLady
Deadline for everyone was yesterday but probably they did submit theirs much earlier than us. The computation already started yesterday at 9 pm.

Deadline for everyone was yesterday but probably they did submit theirs much earlier than us. The computation already started yesterday at 9 pm.
Thank you for your reply and information. Much appreciated.

HeartLady

Just curious, this is for sh*ts and giggles and not to start a debate or invite sarcastic comments...

How low on their rank list have you known people to match in cardiology? I'm mainly interested in the non-AOA/260 Step 1/top 25 residency type applicant.

The lowest I've been told is 4, but I also know someone who didn't match at all.

Good question. Apparently, the computation is already done? Yet we're waiting here with our thumbs up our a$$ses. I wonder what they're even gonna be doing for three weeks?

Good question. Apparently, the computation is already done? Yet we're waiting here with our thumbs up our a$$ses. I wonder what they're even gonna be doing for three weeks?
From NRMP FAQ: (For me looks like 5-10 minutes with high speed Laptop and internet :) )

Between the Rank Order List Certification Deadline and Match Day, the NRMP conducts a rigorous review of Match data, including:

• Assessing and confirming the integrity of the data
  • Conducting a final verification of applicants’ credentials
  • Withdrawing applicants who are ineligible for the Match
  • Transferring the data from the R3 system to the matching algorithm module, rechecking the data, processing the algorithm, and transferring data back into the R3 system
  • Verifying the results of a Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases
  • Verifying applicants’ credentials for Main Residency Match SOAP participation
  • Preparing 50,000 individual Match Week reports for Main Residency Matchapplicants, program directors, and medical schools
These steps, all completed in a few weeks, ensure the accuracy of Match results.

From NRMP FAQ: (For me looks like 5-10 minutes with high speed Laptop and internet :) )

Between the Rank Order List Certification Deadline and Match Day, the NRMP conducts a rigorous review of Match data, including:

• Assessing and confirming the integrity of the data
  • Conducting a final verification of applicants’ credentials
  • Withdrawing applicants who are ineligible for the Match
  • Transferring the data from the R3 system to the matching algorithm module, rechecking the data, processing the algorithm, and transferring data back into the R3 system
  • Verifying the results of a Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases
  • Verifying applicants’ credentials for Main Residency Match SOAP participation
  • Preparing 50,000 individual Match Week reports for Main Residency Matchapplicants, program directors, and medical schools
These steps, all completed in a few weeks, ensure the accuracy of Match results.

Thanks

Just curious, this is for sh*ts and giggles and not to start a debate or invite sarcastic comments...

How low on their rank list have you known people to match in cardiology? I'm mainly interested in the non-AOA/260 Step 1/top 25 residency type applicant.

The lowest I've been told is 4, but I also know someone who didn't match at all.

Thoughts? Again, out of sheer curiosity and not to invite snarky remarks. Thanks.

Thoughts? Again, out of sheer curiosity and not to invite snarky remarks. Thanks.

So for an AMG coming from an upper mid tier residency, the lowest rank that we matched someone to was 4 I think in like five years. Depends on applicant strength too

Thinking about this is useless and will make you more anxious. I have seen someone go unmatched with 4 ranks and the NRMP data tells you that the more contiguous ranks you have the more likely you are to match. If you think about it logically, your probability of matching increases the more programs you have on your rank list because you have more fall back programs beyond your top 4 so the algorithm keeps running beyond the top 4 and tries to match you, which means that there are definitely people who have matched lower to account for this increased probability of matching. Another reason for the higher match rate with more ranks is that applicants with more interviews/ranks are probably more desirable. In any case, the short answer is that there are definitely people who have matched at their 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 etc ... choices. I know it's easier said than done, but try to forget about it, 16 days will go by in no time.

PS: A few years ago, I had a friend who matched to his 13th choice but that was in residency (IM).

Last edited: