How Many Letters for Cardiology Fellowship Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying right now. Looking at various programs' websites, it looks like most want 3 letters (including the PD letter). I have 3 letters from Cardiologists and am wondering if submitting 4 (3 cards + 1 PD) would be frowned upon for programs asking for just 3 letters (is that a hard cut-off)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they strictly said 3 then submit 3
If they don’t have a strict LOR requirement then submit 4

Reactions: 1 user
Ive asked two dif PCs and if they mention 3 on their website it is the minimum of LOR. The other PC expected four. Everyone I asked submitted four. I will be submitting four.

Members don't see this ad :)
Program will not punish you for submitting 4.
Programs who want three won’t give you more credit for submitting 4.
Some applicants submit a research letter which is ok. don’t submit to community program which has zero research interest.
4 clinical letters may be too much.

To start this thread over, if applying to Cards fellowship, how many letters should be from a cardiologist? I assume 1, but do programs want more than this? For ex, is 2 IM letters and 1 cards letter ok?
I have 2 strong IM letters I would like to use, which is why I am asking. thanks.

To start this thread over, if applying to Cards fellowship, how many letters should be from a cardiologist? I assume 1, but do programs want more than this? For ex, is 2 IM letters and 1 cards letter ok?
I have 2 strong IM letters I would like to use, which is why I am asking. thanks.
I would get as many cardiology letters as I can. I had 3 cardiologists and my IM PD write my letters. Had 11 interviews total out of 50 programs.
Best is to obtain a letter from a cardiologist who is well-known and respected, but more important if it is someone who knows you very well and can write a strong letter for you.

1 lor from pd.
At least one letter from a cardiologist if submitting 3.
If 4 then should strive to have 2 because it’s def weird to have three letters from non cardiologist

But I agree that by the end of day best to have letters from whoever knows you the best.