Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey! European student here in a 6 year curriculum. Been planning to pass Step 1 on February-March 2015.
So far I've covered FA 2014 (twice), Pathoma, Kaplan Lecture Notes.
Currently reading Step1Secrets (love it!), reviewing Kaplan and FA.
Planning to review Pathoma, do some Anki cards, USMLEW, FA 2015.

I guess I've enough time to add another ressource. Should I better go for Robbins or Kaplan Qbank? Keep hearing that Kaplan questions aren't relevant (useless details).

Goal: pass (although a 220 wouldn't hurt).

In general it's never a good idea to get bogged down by a bunch of resources. Stick with the big three, UFAP, and if there's an area you feel is lacking, buy a subject specific resource. You're already using enough, especially if you just want a 220.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excluding Pathoma, is there a resource that you highly recommend, whether for Step 1 or your classes? A resource that has helped you immensely? In any subject matter (micro, pharm, path, anatomy,etc).

Excluding Pathoma, is there a resource that you highly recommend, whether for Step 1 or your classes? A resource that has helped you immensely? In any subject matter (micro, pharm, path, anatomy,etc).

Picmonic, UW, RX, FA, pharm cards, micro cards, and Anki.

Speaking of which, I'm starting to worry a bit. I did about 4 blocks of questions today, and I wanted to slit my wrists by the end. I started just trying to get the answer by reading the first sentence. I can't imagine trying to do 5-6 blocks per day, every god damn day weeks in dedicated...

Haven't always had the chance to do them, but when I do, Robbins Review path questions are awesome

Reactions: 1 user
SO seems to be about that time start diving in. Currently doing pathoma, kaplan videos, class, and annotating everything into FA. Have USMLE-RX so will probably be using that until December when I actually start hitting the big qbanks (Goljan/U-world). Shooting for 250+.

I remember back in an old MCAT thread we started a skype group that we could all have a convo in to ask questions and talk every so often. Let me know if you guys would be interested in something like that, worked pretty well then. Kept me motivated.

Stepone2015, I know what you mean about the paragraph questions. What subject are you having the most difficult time with?

Stepone2015, I know what you mean about the paragraph questions. What subject are you having the most difficult time with?

Nothing specific. It's just the realization of what it means to do two qbanks in dedicated. The endless questions wear on you regardless of difficulty.

Would you say that subjects like micro and pharm, where memorization is more key are easier because it won't take you time to conceptualize everything, while other subjects that require more understanding makes things more difficult because you have to conceptualize things in your head.

Would you say that subjects like micro and pharm, where memorization is more key are easier because it won't take you time to conceptualize everything, while other subjects that require more understanding makes things more difficult because you have to conceptualize things in your head.

It's the opposite for me. But I also have terrible memory so it takes me forever to memorize things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus some of y'all take the test super freaking early!! I am starting next week for my June/July test date.

We have class all the way up until June. How are yall taking step 1 in February?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

Dexter, do you use Anki or Firecracker to hammer down micro and pharm?

Yea I use Anki. But by the time one block ends, I get so bogged down trying to learn the new block's material that I don't really get time to keep up with the old cards so I just end up forgetting everything =\

I can tell you what I use, and you can check them out to see if they help you. Micro and pharm are easier for me because memorization is better for me than other subjects. For micro, I used MicroCards and they helped a lot. Stepone2015 was nice enough to suggest Picmonic. I tried it, but it didn't click for me. I just felt that it added steps to micro. I had to remember symbols and figure out what they meant, however, if you try it and it works for you, more power to you. I think micro and pharm are the two subjects that you can have the greatest improvements because a lot of it is straight memorization. I've also heard good things about CMMRS. Good luck.

I can tell you what I use, and you can check them out to see if they help you. Micro and pharm are easier for me because memorization is better for me than other subjects. For micro, I used MicroCards and they helped a lot. Stepone2015 was nice enough to suggest Picmonic. I tried it, but it didn't click for me. I just felt that it added steps to micro. I had to remember symbols and figure out what they meant, however, if you try it and it works for you, more power to you. I think micro and pharm are the two subjects that you can have the greatest improvements because a lot of it is straight memorization. I've also heard good things about CMMRS. Good luck.

I've kinda stayed away from Picmonic for that exact reason. Heard many good things about CMMRS but haven't had the time to read it. But not sure if I want to either since it sounds like a book form of Picmonic =\ I've looked at microcards too. They seemed helpful as I went through them, but again I just forgot everything afterward haha. I need continual repetition–and lots of it. It's just the time I don't have to do that. Either I focus fully on trying to learn well the current material at hand (ie concepts which stick more for me) and forget all the memorized facts from earlier, or I sacrifice my current learning to try to keep up with previously memorized facts. I'm choosing the former and am just gonna try to re-memorize all the micro and pharm since the beginning of the year over our thanksgiving and winter breaks. We'll see if it happens though haha

I've read and heard Microcards+FA+Qbank(s) are more than enough for micro and related pharm, so that will be my approach. I didn't like CMMRS or Picmonic, but I can see how they work for others. It depends on your learning style. My personal mnemonics and association strategies, however crazy they might be at times, work for me so there is no point in fudging that up!

I've read and heard Microcards+FA+Qbank(s) are more than enough for micro and related pharm, so that will be my approach. I didn't like CMMRS or Picmonic, but I can see how they work for others. It depends on your learning style. My personal mnemonics and association strategies, however crazy they might be at times, work for me so there is no point in fudging that up!

Do you memorize literally all the effects/side effects in FA, or just the important ones?

Do you memorize literally all the effects/side effects in FA, or just the important ones?

Mainly the important ones, but it is important to be familiar with other common side effects. If it is something like GI upset, then it depends on the drug. Overall there are far too many drugs that may irritate the GI system to commit to memory, but it is still important to know that NSAIDs don't bring sunshine and rainbows to the GI tract. Catch my drift?

Mainly the important ones, but it is important to be familiar with other common side effects. If it is something like GI upset, then it depends on the drug. Overall there are far too many drugs that may irritate the GI system to commit to memory, but it is still important to know that NSAIDs don't bring sunshine and rainbows to the GI tract. Catch my drift?

Haha yea, that definitely helps. Up until now I thought people just memorized everything about every drug and I was just like wtf how do they do that haha. Feeling much better now :thumbup:

Speaking of which, I'm starting to worry a bit. I did about 4 blocks of questions today, and I wanted to slit my wrists by the end. I started just trying to get the answer by reading the first sentence. I can't imagine trying to do 5-6 blocks per day, every god damn day weeks in dedicated...

I would never do 5-6 blocks per day. How would you review that many?

I think in dedicated that 5-6 a day is very doable time-wise. Mentally, it might be a bit much.

I think my date is going to be a few days after.

How many hours does it take you to review one block? I spend at least 2 hours reviewing blocks that I do during classes and I'm guessing blocks (on random) during dedicated time will take at least 3 hours each.

I would like to take it later too, but our school is requiring we take it by June 18th.

How many hours does it take you to review one block? I spend at least 2 hours reviewing blocks that I do during classes and I'm guessing blocks (on random) during dedicated time will take at least 3 hours each.

I would like to take it later too, but our school is requiring we take it by June 18th.

It depends. If it's on material I've already covered and am relatively fresh on, I can finish the block in under 30 minutes and review it in roughly 30 minutes as well. I haven't tried doing it on stuff that I'm weak on (first year material), so that would probably take longer. I imagine after a pass of FA through that stuff and a few blocks of each topic that it should get down to around an hour total as well.

Our school gives us a few more days, so that's when I'll be taking it.

Haha. I know what you mean. I have found it easier to do blocks if interspersed with something else like reading class powerpoints or FA or watching Pathoma. I don't think I'll be able to do blocks back to back until I'm doing a full length NBME or something

Haha. I know what you mean. I have found it easier to do blocks if interspersed with something else like reading class powerpoints or FA or watching Pathoma. I don't think I'll be able to do blocks back to back until I'm doing a full length NBME or something

I'd rather do test blocks than anything else!

Not sure if you guys are following the 2014 Step 1 thread but seems like the average is now 230. God help us lol

I was wondering what your guys'/gals' thoughts on studying for Step 1 while taking classes? My school is on a 3 week block with the test being on the 3rd week. People have said that they did 2 weeks of pure USMLE studying then the last week they literally crammed course material and "hoped" that the key concepts from Pathoma, FA, etc would be the bulk of the test material. (EDIT: I wonder if they did this when they were 6-8 weeks out from their exam date??? That makes more sense...)

Personally, I don't like that. I need to learn the material 1st before reviewing it. I've made a preliminary study schedule for Dec-Jan and I prime myself by going through my review materials over Winter break and then really learn it once classes resume. On my free time away from that, I will review material we have already finished like the Basic Principles, Derm Block, Cardio Block. Thoughts? What are your plans?

I was wondering what your guys'/gals' thoughts on studying for Step 1 while taking classes? My school is on a 3 week block with the test being on the 3rd week. People have said that they did 2 weeks of pure USMLE studying then the last week they literally crammed course material and "hoped" that the key concepts from Pathoma, FA, etc would be the bulk of the test material. (EDIT: I wonder if they did this when they were 6-8 weeks out from their exam date??? That makes more sense...)

Personally, I don't like that. I need to learn the material 1st before reviewing it. I've made a preliminary study schedule for Dec-Jan and I prime myself by going through my review materials over Winter break and then really learn it once classes resume. On my free time away from that, I will review material we have already finished like the Basic Principles, Derm Block, Cardio Block. Thoughts? What are your plans?

We have 2-3 week systems as well. I basically do the same thing you mentioned above.. Focus on Pathoma and Goljan for path, FA and Kaplan for pharm, and qbanks for path/pharm. Then 5-7 days before the test I review the lecture material to pick up on any random details they may have emphasized. Grades have slipped a little compared to MS1, but I'm still in the same quartile.

Interesting.

Most students I've heard from take USMLE then take COMLEX 2-3 days later after a rest day and a pass through Savarese.

There's really nothing of interest in what I was saying, trust me, I literally just have no idea and 1/2 weeks were pretty much random time frames.

Interesting.

Most students I've heard from take USMLE then take COMLEX 2-3 days later after a rest day and a pass through Savarese.

Why not take COMLEX as a warm up for USMLE? I mean, use COMLEX as another assessment to gauge your weak areas and your stamina.

Why not take COMLEX as a warm up for USMLE?

The rational of what I've heard is that USMLE content-wise is the more detailed exam so it's best to take that first when you're at your peak. Crush OMM for a couple days if you're strong in the subject and then take COMLEX.

Also, if you're looking at a surgical subspecialty, derm, and maybe GS, it's more realistic and appropriate to try and do very well on COMLEX and apply AOA. The USMLE is almost a backup at that point.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting.

Oops, didn't read pathologyDO's post correctly. I've also heard the above strategy and meant to say take the COMLEX up to a week after the USMLE.

For everyone using Kaplan Qbank, what have your percentages been so far this year? Also, how are you setting up your blocks?

I've been doing blocks of "all disciplines" in the organ system that corresponds to our current course.

Not sure if you guys are following the 2014 Step 1 thread but seems like the average is now 230. God help us lol

Eh, I'm unimpressed. The SD went down by 1, so 250+ is almost exactly as valuable. Stay positive. :)

For everyone using Kaplan Qbank, what have your percentages been so far this year? Also, how are you setting up your blocks?

I've been doing blocks of "all disciplines" in the organ system that corresponds to our current course.

I have only done neuro cards but my overall is currently about 45-50% in that section. Its a pretty rough section tbh