Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
uS citizen IMG took my exam the 4th, I guess tomorrow is D-DAY. Thanks for all the help that is posted on this forum. If it is well, a Detailed report on the journey will be posted. If not God Bless You and have a great Thanksgiving LOL

suarad 32, DRJECKLL, what resources did you use for micro and pharm? Thanks.

FA was good enough for most stuff, in the sense that none of the answer choices on any of the questions in my test had a drug or bug that was not in FA. I had skimmed through MMRS very quickly right at the beginning, and did Pharm from Kaplan as well, but didn't think it was that useful. One caveat; we have a very hardcore rotating internship prior to finishing med school, so I was sort of comfortable with common therapeutic issues, like bridging anticoagulation or empirically treating a VAP, having written orders and made management plans for these myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA AT WHAT TIME IT USUALLY COMES
BCOZ I AM GETTING SUPER ANXIOUS
Mine should be next week but from what I've gathered it should be online appx. 11 am east cost. 15 mins from now
waiting for your confirmation
did you permit disappear?!
I took it 12th of Nov

HI I GOT MY RESULT
ITS 232 MY SCORE
WORKED FOR SIX MONTHS
PRE TEST SCORES WERE
NBME 16 227
NBME 15 237
NBME 13 239
UWSA 1 250
UWSA 2 250
A BIT disappointed but its ok was expecting around 240
anyways i respect whatever god has given me and moving on for step 2

HI I GOT MY RESULT
ITS 232 MY SCORE
WORKED FOR SIX MONTHS
PRE TEST SCORES WERE
NBME 16 227
NBME 15 237
NBME 13 239
UWSA 1 250
UWSA 2 250
A BIT disappointed but its ok was expecting around 240
anyways i respect whatever god has given me and moving on for step 2

You'll do better on CK dude

Got my result!! 245!! Sooo happy and relieved!! I cant believe im done with step 1 forever!! :) :D

Reactions: 1 user
I was very happy with my score, God is awesome

Quick Detail

Key Sources FA 2013, USMLE WORLD (not enough emphasis), pathoma
supplement material Goljan Audio and RR (mostly for pictures) USMLE Rx (I considered it a Joke after UWORLD)

NBME 11 217 july 15
NBME 12 220 Aug 15
NBME 15 230 October 3 (I took this cold before I scheduled the exam)

The real deal November 4th: 242

I would say reading Uworld explanations OVER and OVER and OVER is the best way to get 230+ also doing a quick First Aid pass within a week of the exam. GOD IS GOOD and Happy thanksgiving to the good Folks on sdn forums.

BTW, i am an img us citizen. I was interested in ER. If u guys could kindly link me to where I could see how to check my chances or any other ways to improve them that would be amazing. Pholston u are the man

Reactions: 4 users
I was very happy with my score, God is awesome

Quick Detail

Key Sources FA 2013, USMLE WORLD (not enough emphasis), pathoma
supplement material Goljan Audio and RR (mostly for pictures) USMLE Rx (I considered it a Joke after UWORLD)

NBME 11 217 july 15
NBME 12 220 Aug 15
NBME 15 230 October 3 (I took this cold before I scheduled the exam)

The real deal November 4th: 242

I would say reading Uworld explanations OVER and OVER and OVER is the best way to get 230+ also doing a quick First Aid pass within a week of the exam. GOD IS GOOD and Happy thanksgiving to the good Folks on sdn forums.

BTW, i am an img us citizen. I was interested in ER. If u guys could kindly link me to where I could see how to check my chances or any other ways to improve them that would be amazing. Pholston u are the man

congrats on your score. and thank you for sharing your experience !

i have a question, you said we should read the explanations over and over .. how many times do you think i should do u world to achieve a good score ? is one time + mistakes is enough or shall i repeat the whole thing ?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your score. and thank you for sharing your experience !

i have a question, you said we should read the explanations over and over .. how many times do you think i should do u world to achieve a good score ? is one time + mistakes is enough or shall i repeat the whole thing ?

Based on my experience i also analyzed the stem question and the vignette constantly to see how the question writers generally think. The interface of the test is just like Uworld so u cant go wrong going through each question until you know it inside out. Even when i felt i knew a particular question particularly well, i would read the educational objective. Some of the clinical vignettes are also great tools to learn how to present a patient in a concise and effective manner during clinical rotations. Just my two cents

Based on my experience i also analyzed the stem question and the vignette constantly to see how the question writers generally think. The interface of the test is just like Uworld so u cant go wrong going through each question until you know it inside out. Even when i felt i knew a particular question particularly well, i would read the educational objective. Some of the clinical vignettes are also great tools to learn how to present a patient in a concise and effective manner during clinical rotations. Just my two cents

Thank you DRJECKLL.

Took step 1 in June, thought I would briefly share my study plan for all those studying right now.

Step 1 score was 267.

Study plan was to start studying around Feb for my exam in June. Started by trying to memorize the three things, pharm, micro, path, I think are mostly rote memorization since I wanted to spend time closer to the exam doing questions not memorizing stuff, but more critical thinking stuff. Used mostly first aid and pathoma for this task. Finished about April, and I started doing random questions sets, tutor mode, going over answers. I did usmlerx qbank, probably got through about 70% of the qbank before my account expired. Pretty good qbank to start, helps you memorize first aid, careful of some mistakes. Then I did kaplan qbank, actually finished this one, pretty good qbank, underrated I think. Then I did UWorld, I guess I started too late because I also only got to about 75% then ran out of time, good qbank, but maybe overrated. I didn't necessarily feel it was any better than Kaplan, hard to say, although the software and phone app are better for Uworld for sure. Also, did some old NBME pdfs to really get used to the NBME type questions, prob about 3. I felt the NBME question sets were a bit different than the qbanks. I actually feel like they are more straight forward, or maybe more easy/med type questions, less of those really tricky hard questions. I had learn to hold myself back, and check myself when I started thinking it was a 3 step type of question or some kind of trick question, because usually for the NBME it means your going off track and are going to get the question wrong. This is where Uworld can screw you by putting you into that, there are always a few trick questions per set mindset, because for the NBME usually this is not true.

So my basic principles, use first aid/pathoma mostly, start to memorize pharm/micro/path early, do lots of questions, min 2 qbanks. Also I never really actually read first aid cover-cover or anything, I just read it when doing questions, and/or reviewing pharm, micro, or path. Also I used minimal annotation in FA, its too time consuming, and I did not want to dilute the most important knowledge until I had whats written in it down cold first, then maybe annotate. Anyways hope this helps, cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Took step 1 in June, thought I would briefly share my study plan for all those studying right now.

Step 1 score was 267.

Study plan was to start studying around Feb for my exam in June. Started by trying to memorize the three things, pharm, micro, path, I think are mostly rote memorization since I wanted to spend time closer to the exam doing questions not memorizing stuff, but more critical thinking stuff. Used mostly first aid and pathoma for this task. Finished about April, and I started doing random questions sets, tutor mode, going over answers. I did usmlerx qbank, probably got through about 70% of the qbank before my account expired. Pretty good qbank to start, helps you memorize first aid, careful of some mistakes. Then I did kaplan qbank, actually finished this one, pretty good qbank, underrated I think. Then I did UWorld, I guess I started too late because I also only got to about 75% then ran out of time, good qbank, but maybe overrated. I didn't necessarily feel it was any better than Kaplan, hard to say, although the software and phone app are better for Uworld for sure. Also, did some old NBME pdfs to really get used to the NBME type questions, prob about 3. I felt the NBME question sets were a bit different than the qbanks. I actually feel like they are more straight forward, or maybe more easy/med type questions, less of those really tricky hard questions. I had learn to hold myself back, and check myself when I started thinking it was a 3 step type of question or some kind of trick question, because usually for the NBME it means your going off track and are going to get the question wrong. This is where Uworld can screw you by putting you into that, there are always a few trick questions per set mindset, because for the NBME usually this is not true.

So my basic principles, use first aid/pathoma mostly, start to memorize pharm/micro/path early, do lots of questions, min 2 qbanks. Also I never really actually read first aid cover-cover or anything, I just read it when doing questions, and/or reviewing pharm, micro, or path. Also I used minimal annotation in FA, its too time consuming, and I did not want to dilute the most important knowledge until I had whats written in it down cold first, then maybe annotate. Anyways hope this helps, cheers.

Great score! Thanks for the info!

Can someone kindly post the most recent (2014) up to date Usmle world % correlation with what score it equates to on the real deal......

Step 1 score was 267.

For pharm and micro, you only used FA and Qbanks to study? You didn't need Microcards, CMMRS?

I felt the NBME question sets were a bit different than the qbanks. I actually feel like they are more straight forward, or maybe more easy/med type questions, less of those really tricky hard questions. I had learn to hold myself back, and check myself when I started thinking it was a 3 step type of question or some kind of trick question, because usually for the NBME it means your going off track and are going to get the question wrong. This is where Uworld can screw you by putting you into that, there are always a few trick questions per set mindset, because for the NBME usually this is not true.

That's a really good point. Same is true for 2CK.

For pharm and micro, you only used FA and Qbanks to study? You didn't need Microcards, CMMRS?

No actually watched the kaplan micro videos some time in the spring over like 2 days, probably at like 1.5 speed. These are the bootleg ones from 2011 or something w the lady. Pretty good when first starting. Also going over pathoma there is also micro, also read random chapters of RR path there is micro in there too. Lots of micro questions in the Qbanks too. For pharm mostly FA and Qbanks, I watched some Raymond kaplan pharm videos in the spring for random topics, not all of them though. That guy is really good not just for pharm but watching the pharm will help you learn path and phys. Pharm questions on real thing were not that many and pretty easy I thought.

Last edited:
That's a really good point. Same is true for 2CK.

Think it's best to finish up Uworld a little early and spend the last week or so just doing NBMEs?

Still tweaking my final schedule for dedicated time, but right now I have NBMEs mixed in throughout the last 3-3.5 weeks of my prep time.

Think it's best to finish up Uworld a little early and spend the last week or so just doing NBMEs?

Still tweaking my final schedule for dedicated time, but right now I have NBMEs mixed in throughout the last 3-3.5 weeks of my prep time.

Yeah, that's exactly right. Be done with UWorld by 2 weeks out. The NBME question style is slightly different (and a bit more straightforward and sometimes odd). We get questions wrong when we over-think. Unfortunately the twists and turns in UWorld train us to think too much at times. I tell my students to use their final two weeks just memorizing FA, doing NBMEs and reviewing their PPT of PrntScr incorrect NBME questions. You need to calibrate to the NBME question style during the final days. Yet again, all of this is just my opinion. I only got a 262, so there are other people who are smarter/can offer better advice than I I'm sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, that's exactly right. Be done with UWorld by 2 weeks out. The NBME question style is slightly different (and a bit more straightforward and sometimes odd). We get questions wrong when we over-think. Unfortunately the twists and turns in UWorld train us to think too much at times. I tell my students to use their final two weeks just memorizing FA, doing NBMEs and reviewing their PPT of PrntScr incorrect NBME questions. You need to calibrate to the NBME question style during the final days. Yet again, all of this is just my opinion. I only got a 262, so there are other people who are smarter/can offer better advice than I I'm sure.
LOL only a 262:rolleyes:

While I absolutely agree with Phloston's reasoning, I think stopping UWorld 2 wks. out is a little too early. Ideally finishing UWorld 1 wk. out, then spending that last week hammering FA and at least 3 NBME's would be the way to go for all of the reasons others have listed above. The only reason I'm making the distinction between 1 and 2 wks. is because most people only have about 6 wks. to study for step 1, so taking a full 5 wks. to hit as many questions as possible rather than rushing through UWorld and whatever other sources you're using in 4 wks. could make a difference. In other words, keep your own timeline in mind. For most people, using 33% of your dedicated study time for that final sprint of FA+NBME is more than what's necessary, and you should be focusing more time on UWorld and other qbanks.

Reactions: 1 users
While I absolutely agree with Phloston's reasoning, I think stopping UWorld 2 wks. out is a little too early. Ideally finishing UWorld 1 wk. out, then spending that last week hammering FA and at least 3 NBME's would be the way to go for all of the reasons others have listed above. The only reason I'm making the distinction between 1 and 2 wks. is because most people only have about 6 wks. to study for step 1, so taking a full 5 wks. to hit as many questions as possible rather than rushing through UWorld and whatever other sources you're using in 4 wks. could make a difference. In other words, keep your own timeline in mind. For most people, using 33% of your dedicated study time for that final sprint of FA+NBME is more than what's necessary, and you should be focusing more time on UWorld and other qbanks.

Agree that this is a good possibility if your study timeline is only 6 weeks. It really depends on one's personal learning style I guess. The reason I believe finishing UWorld with 2 weeks left is ideal is because I think people underestimate how many points they can grab strictly from memorizing FA during the final days. 4 extra days, for instance, hardcore memorizing the pharm, micro, biochem and embryo in FA, among other things, ensures you grab all of the gimmie points. Why risk it? It's really rare for someone two weeks after their exam to not say "I'm sooo annoyed by this one question about blah. It was RIGHT in FA but now I realize I got it wrong."

FWIW, I finished UWorld 3 weeks before my test, and found that the extra time to absolutely hammer through FA was essential to me scoring well. At that point 3 weeks before my test, I had done a run through of UFAP 1x, and that's about it. Didn't touch UWorld again.

I did have my FA thoroughly annotated with UWorld, Pathoma, and a few other resources though, so extensively reviewing FA for those 3 weeks was more like extensively reviewing all those simultaneously.

Reactions: 3 users
FWIW, I finished UWorld 3 weeks before my test, and found that the extra time to absolutely hammer through FA was essential to me scoring well. At that point 3 weeks before my test, I had done a run through of UFAP 1x, and that's about it. Didn't touch UWorld again.

I did have my FA thoroughly annotated with UWorld, Pathoma, and a few other resources though, so extensively reviewing FA for those 3 weeks was more like extensively reviewing all those simultaneously.
Did you have a summary for your Step 1 prep?

Agree that this is a good possibility if your study timeline is only 6 weeks. It really depends on one's personal learning style I guess. The reason I believe finishing UWorld with 2 weeks left is ideal is because I think people underestimate how many points they can grab strictly from memorizing FA during the final days. 4 extra days, for instance, hardcore memorizing the pharm, micro, biochem and embryo in FA, among other things, ensures you grab all of the gimmie points. Why risk it? It's really rare for someone two weeks after their exam to not say "I'm sooo annoyed by this one question about blah. It was RIGHT in FA but now I realize I got it wrong."

I will second what phloston says, but for a different reason. Overthinking is the bane of UW questions. I have no doubt that I scored better having stopped UW >2 weeks out, as it allowed me to get in the mindset of thinking straight and not subconsciously justifying every answer choice I selected. You think you can overcome this. You cannot.

Would love to hear @kirbymiester 's thoughts on this.

for people that gave the exam recently:

On average in each block how many question stems were accompanied by a picture or graph with them that you needed to identify to solve the question in each block?

for people that gave the exam recently:

On average in each block how many question stems were accompanied by a picture or graph with them that you needed to identify to solve the question in each block?

I gave the exam very recently. I don't know how many were present per block, but I can give you an overview.
  • There were quite a few long biostats questions (some with graphs) sprinkled through the blocks. Maybe about 8 total.
  • 2-3 physio questions with graphs.
  • Had about 5-8 micro questions with pictures (total). One question I couldn't have answered had I not gone through google images at one point for micro. Without giving out too many details, the question stem led me to think aspergillus, yet the image was definitely something else. But that was just one question, so I'm not sure if the google images hunt was worth it in the end lol.
  • 5 Neuro questions with images where you had to identify the lesion.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info everyone. A few quick questions pertaining to specific posts..

If I save all the NBMEs for the last 2-3 weeks, what (if anything) do I use to evaluate my readiness during the first 3 weeks (I have 6 weeks of prep)? I see people posting about NBME correlations and stuff all the time. Are UWSA1 and 2 to be used in the first 3 weeks?

Same question as above (regarding UWSA1/2)!

I've been annotating Kaplan qbank so far this year (some FC and Rx as well), but I hadn't planned to include Pathoma. Do you feel it was worthwhile to annotate Pathoma stuff into FA rather than just reading Pathoma on its own? Also opinions on using FC in dedicated time?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. A few quick questions pertaining to specific posts..

If I save all the NBMEs for the last 2-3 weeks, what (if anything) do I use to evaluate my readiness during the first 3 weeks (I have 6 weeks of prep)? I see people posting about NBME correlations and stuff all the time. Are UWSA1 and 2 to be used in the first 3 weeks?

I've been annotating Kaplan qbank so far this year (some FC and Rx as well), but I hadn't planned to include Pathoma. Do you feel it was worthwhile to annotate Pathoma stuff into FA rather than just reading Pathoma on its own? Also opinions on using FC in dedicated time?
theres enoug nbme's that you can do 1-2 in the first 3 weeks if you'd like. in fact, i'd recommend it.

Absolutely use the NBMEs before the last week. I started dedicated by taking NBME 7 to give me an idea of where I was score-wise and to identify any specific areas of weakness. How you use NBMEs after that is up to you. Many people do 1 per week, and I would suggest at least 3 in the last week if you want a good score predictor.

UWSAs can be used whenever you want. Some people use them simply as extra UWorld questions. I only did UWSA 1 and saved it till my last week, taking it back-to-back after NBME 15 and using that as a simulation of test day. They're known for overpredicting so don't get caught up in the score too much, just use them as learning tools. The only reason I didn't do UWSA 2 is because I ran out of time, so I'd suggest planning ahead and making sure you get through as much as you can.

I will second what phloston says, but for a different reason. Overthinking is the bane of UW questions. I have no doubt that I scored better having stopped UW >2 weeks out, as it allowed me to get in the mindset of thinking straight and not subconsciously justifying every answer choice I selected. You think you can overcome this. You cannot.

Would love to hear @kirbymiester 's thoughts on this.

I personally didn't have this dynamic play a memorable role in my studying, but I can see what you mean.

UWorld Q's do seem to often require a level of "thought-checking" and time-wasting self-doubt that aren't necessarily needed for the NBME. If you can pull it off, both myself and ChessMaster3000 adopted a method of blowing through Q's in a block with 20-30 minutes to spare to thoroughly re-check questions once or twice. I loved this method, and it may be a bit hard to blow through Q's expecting a level of complexity (often just trickery) that UWorld throws at you.

Overall not something to stress about if your personal study inclinations say otherwise. :)

I've been annotating Kaplan qbank so far this year (some FC and Rx as well), but I hadn't planned to include Pathoma. Do you feel it was worthwhile to annotate Pathoma stuff into FA rather than just reading Pathoma on its own?

I completely ditched the Pathoma book. If you'll be using it, no need to annotate into FA too. I just made FA my bible, and annotated every single excerpt from miscellaneous sources here and there (e.g. BRS Physio, Goljan RR, etc.) in too. I ditched the book because the things I needed annotated were a small percentage of the text of the book...just trying to keep things high-efficiency.

Also opinions on using FC in dedicated time?

I vote a confident "no", though others have done it with success. There are just so many other high-yield things you can be doing. Try and squeeze all you can out of FC by 4th semester, which is when I personally switched to UFAP.

How much of FC did you complete kirbymiester? Did you finish the whole program by your dedicated time?

I personally didn't have this dynamic play a memorable role in my studying, but I can see what you mean.

UWorld Q's do seem to often require a level of "thought-checking" and time-wasting self-doubt that aren't necessarily needed for the NBME. If you can pull it off, both myself and ChessMaster3000 adopted a method of blowing through Q's in a block with 20-30 minutes to spare to thoroughly re-check questions once or twice. I loved this method, and it may be a bit hard to blow through Q's expecting a level of complexity (often just trickery) that UWorld throws at you.

Overall not something to stress about if your personal study inclinations say otherwise. :)

I completely ditched the Pathoma book. If you'll be using it, no need to annotate into FA too. I just made FA my bible, and annotated every single excerpt from miscellaneous sources here and there (e.g. BRS Physio, Goljan RR, etc.) in too. I ditched the book because the things I needed annotated were a small percentage of the text of the book...just trying to keep things high-efficiency.

I vote a confident "no", though others have done it with success. There are just so many other high-yield things you can be doing. Try and squeeze all you can out of FC by 4th semester, which is when I personally switched to UFAP.

How much of FC did you complete kirbymiester? Did you finish the whole program by your dedicated time?

I actually only finished about 60-70% of it, leaving some of the lower-yield stuff unfinished (Embryo, Biochem, Histo). I certainly never planned to leave that much incomplete, but that's just the way it happened. I knew what I did cover very well though, which may be why it still was significantly helpful in the end.

I actually only finished about 60-70% of it, leaving some of the lower-yield stuff unfinished (Embryo, Biochem, Histo). I certainly never planned to leave that much incomplete, but that's just the way it happened. I knew what I did cover very well though, which may be why it still was significantly helpful in the end.

How far in advance did you bank the material corresponding to your last 2-3 months of school? In other words, our last three classes of MS2 are GI, cardio, and respiratory. Should I try and have them banked early (like by January) so I can see them at least twice before starting dedicated time?

I guess another way to ask this question is at what point in the year did you stop banking new material and instead only use FC to do review questions?

Recent Step takers, I understand the movement by the USMLE to shy away from buzzwords has been effect for quite some time.

My question for you guys is whether it is possible to identify the buzzwords from the description they provide or is it a complete hodgepodge where you need to identify a constellation of symptoms to arrive at the answer?

Also are the answer choices much more similar/related? People complain that while they can get to an answer by elimination, it has been much harder with the real deal.

Finally, is there a particular trend you guys noticed by talking with others? Like anatomy heavy tests since the implementation of the new guidelines. I know that the qs are randomly drawn but if a lot of people start going off about Pelvic anatomy and the like, there must be a grain of truth to it.

How far in advance did you bank the material corresponding to your last 2-3 months of school? In other words, our last three classes of MS2 are GI, cardio, and respiratory. Should I try and have them banked early (like by January) so I can see them at least twice before starting dedicated time?

I guess another way to ask this question is at what point in the year did you stop banking new material and instead only use FC to do review questions?

I was fortunate enough that my 4th semester contained almost no new material -- just pretty much further integration of stuff we already knew, and re-visiting old topics in new contexts. In general, I advise against flagging topics that you haven't already learned. If you've already done some GI, Cardio, and Resp, then go ahead and try and bank that stuff ahead of time (as soon as you can while not neglecting your current classes and while not neglecting UFAP when the time comes; just depends on your situation).

I never really stopped banking new material. Pretty sure I was flagging topics until the day I stopped. In the end, we can strategize about this stuff until our heads explode (FC certainly is a topic that leaves a lot of room for strategic planning), but we'll all end up not fulfilling our best-case scenario and settling on what we were able to get done. I left entire organ systems un-flagged when I stopped -- that was just the way it happened.

Just do the best you can flagging along with classes, then be honest with yourself about when you should stop in order to hammer in UFAP according to your study plans.

I am very sad and need your suggestions for future plan.
I am an IMG, non US resident.
Today I got my result, it is 220 below my expectations, I was getting 230 in NBME 15 and 16.
I know that this year average score is 228 or 230 so my chances to get residency are very bleak.
I am confused for future plans,
should I stopped further MD studies and switch to other programs?
Should I continue MD studies, go for rotations and try to get good marks in CK ?
Will good marks in CK help me to get residency.
Please guide me

I wanted to ask... 228 is the average, but is that the average for both IMGs and US ??? I was wondering what US students get.

I think that is the average for all test takers, someone here posted a link to the Virginia website that had US medical students averaging 230