Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that in ACGME accreditation data or FEIDA?

Members don't see this ad.

It is under your NRMP page, where you went to rank programs. On the left side their is a tab for program directory.

To alleviate fears Wake Forest still says 4 spots open for the match. They say on their site also that they take all their candidates through the match. Intime you must be looking at CCM, which is under anesthesia branch there I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
The darned computer knows..........:mad:

Reactions: 1 user
UMKC disappeared off the program directory . I guess they filled all their spots internally or prematched. Whats the point of interviewing people only to get out of the match totally.

The darned computer knows..........:mad:

Yeah damn computer knows it already. I appreciate them taking time to verify results, make match reports and come up with match outcome data etc but 3 weeks way too long...

I thought they have 4 spots in the match? Are you referring to the CCM only fellowship...
Oops.... my bad! U r right... its the CCM positions that were prematched... false alarm folks! But the question still stands, regarding whether any of the programs are prematching... Most of the guuys I know, going into nephro, ID, endo and geriatrics have been offered and accepted positions!

Oops.... my bad! U r right... its the CCM positions that were prematched... false alarm folks! But the question still stands, regarding whether any of the programs are prematching... Most of the guuys I know, going into nephro, ID, endo and geriatrics have been offered and accepted positions!

Pulm/CC, cardiology, and GI do not need to worry about pre-matches as there are plenty of good applicants they can get through the match. Last year almost 30-35% of applicants did not match in these specialties...

Articuate I noticed that too, as a curiosity I was searching Wayne State or DMC and its not showing up in any specialty. Not sure why...

It's been a seller's market for pccm for a good number of years now. We send a lot of ppl into the specialty every year, and didn't hear of anyone getting a pre match yet. I'm sure it happens though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadian in the house? Apparently only 3 J1 visa for respirology and 4 for critical care. Seems like...Matching is only the first battle

Any Canadian in the house? Apparently only 3 J1 visa for respirology and 4 for critical care. Seems like...Matching is only the first battle
I'm a fellow Canadian, from what I know as combo pccm you can apply for either crit or pulm for the statement of need...what worries me is that on the Health Canada website it states that they don't recognize combination programs? Any input?

I wrote them, pulm cc is a dual specialty apparently, so you just have to pick which one you want to practice when you go back to Canada. MedPeds is combined specialty.

Here are the other replies

Dear Doctor,

• Thank you for your email correspondence.
1. Can I apply under respirology, critical care or any of the two?
Applicants must declare which field of medicine they will practice upon return to Canada. Therefore, you would choose one of the two: respirology OR critical care medicine.

2. I saw that the processing starts in January. Since it is first come first served, can I send the application on December 3rd?
Answer: No. Applications received before January 1 will not be processed.

3. I know fax is not accepted for notarized documents. I want to confirm if all the documents can be emailed including notarized documents.
The instructions say that email is the preferred method of submission.

4. For confirmation of ACGME accreditation? Is the programs ACGME number enough for that?
No.

5. Do i need proof of ontario residency?
No.

6. What happens if I am unable to obtain a statement of need, what would be the next step?
Health Canada only issues Statements of Need. Health Canada cannot assist with other issues.

I wrote them, pulm cc is a dual specialty apparently, so you just have to pick which one you want to practice when you go back to Canada. MedPeds is combined specialty.

Dear Doctor,

Applicants must declare which field of medicine they will practice upon return to Canada. Therefore, you would choose one of the two: respirology OR critical care medicine.

2. I saw that the processing starts in January. Since it is first come first served, can I send the application on December 3rd?

3. I know fax is not accepted for notarized documents. I want to confirm if all the documents can be emailed including notarized documents.

4. For confirmation of ACGME accreditation? Is the programs ACGME number enough for that?
No.

No.

6. What happens if I am unable to obtain a statement of need, what would be the next step?
Health Canada only issues Statements of Need. Health Canada cannot assist with other issues.

On the website: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

Under section 1 (Unlimited Endorsement), the last bullet point states that IM - Critical Care is an unlimited field that they will authorize a J1 for.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1416762769.588533.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Dear Doctor,

No.

No.

Awesome, very useful. Thanks!

sigh.. it drives me crazy that you canadians call it respirology

Reactions: 1 users
The current chief resident at Mayo Clinic Arizona is dating a pulmonary fellow just to get into fellowship so we think. They are looking to move to Rochester next year. In case you are applying to Mayo MN this may be helpful to know that one spot might be in the works to be taken.

Unless this is a comic relief...
First off, its too late in the game to backsie. Ranking was over few weeks ago. so this is not helpful for this year at least
And the dating a pulmonary fellow just to get into fellowship thing is just plain hilarious.

Just for my nervous crackling. So should I have ranked programs on how I feel I liked them or how good of a response I got? And do programs sit down and rank applicants numerically, like how we did our rank list or is it based in groups (example: 1. Joe, 2. Amy, 3. ramish... etc or Group 1: Joe, Amy, ramish. Group 2: John, kristal)? As recently I got freaked out by a fellow resident who told me I should have ranked the programs highly that gave me a good response as there might be others that will rank them high instead of me and get matched. Although my top program is a reach, and due to geographic pref I wanted to rank them one. What do you guys think? I was always told to rank by gut feeling and how I like them.

I just want to know if I matched!

Just for my nervous crackling. So should I have ranked programs on how I feel I liked them or how good of a response I got? And do programs sit down and rank applicants numerically, like how we did our rank list or is it based in groups (example: 1. Joe, 2. Amy, 3. ramish... etc or Group 1: Joe, Amy, ramish. Group 2: John, kristal)? As recently I got freaked out by a fellow resident who told me I should have ranked the programs highly that gave me a good response as there might be others that will rank them high instead of me and get matched. Although my top program is a reach, and due to geographic pref I wanted to rank them one. What do you guys think? I was always told to rank by gut feeling and how I like them.

I just want to know if I matched!

Read my post - #987.

Working in the unit for the past 1.5 months constantly reminds me of the match. Especially when I see a fresh grad intensivist, in my mind. .. I go.. thats me in 4 years

3 days 5 hours 40 minutes 37 seconds...

It would save me so many extra heart beats if NRMP would just send an email with if+where we matched instead of having to log on ta find out. Would probably also save them the website possibly crashing.

It would save me so many extra heart beats if NRMP would just send an email with if+where we matched instead of having to log on ta find out. Would probably also save them the website possibly crashing.

I thought it was an email, you mean i have to log on to NRMP the very same moment thousands of other people are trying to log on?! Its going to be a cluster ****!

I th ought it was an email, you mean i have to logone to NRMP the very same moment thousands of other people are trying to log on?! Its going to be a cluster ****!

Turns out it won't let you say ****.

I'm not sure it works the same as residency where they tell you you matched one day, and then tell you where the next. I checked the NRMP timeline info yesterday, and it seemed to say we can log on at 12 pm to find out. Maybe senor jdh or someone else might have more info..
Given that the NRMP asked people to certify their ROLs before the deadline to avoid last-minute dysfunction due to traffic, I'm guessing the website isn't built to withstand the deluge of loggers-inners on Wednesday.

Last year people said they get an email on the match day telling where they matched. You can log in also to nrmp website.

And nope, you don't find out whether you matched or not few days early like the residency match

I'm not sure it works the same as residency where they tell you you matched one day, and then tell you where the next. I checked the NRMP timeline info yesterday, and it seemed to say we can log on at 12 pm to find out. Maybe senor jdh or someone else might have more info..
Given that the NRMP asked people to certify their ROLs before the deadline to avoid last-minute dysfunction due to traffic, I'm guessing the website isn't built to withstand the deluge of loggers-inners on Wednesday.

You get told where you matched same day you match. You should get an email.

@jdh71 - Wouldn't do anything else even if they told me I was gonna get paid an intern's stipend for the rest of my career ...

So what are y'all gonna be doing at 12 tomorrow, other than possibly being compromised from incessant tachycardias/enhanced gut motility?
Thank goodness I'm in the ET. Can't imagine having to wait an extra few perceived hours

Critical care continues to get more complicated and time consuming.

time consuming - yes. Complicated - nah - just learn to say "latest research shows that what we are doing is harmful"

Should we transfuse? No, kills people
Should we aggressively treat hyperglycemia - No, kills people
Should we hyperventilate due to ICP? - No, kills people
Should we give steroids to traumatic brain injury - No, kills people
Should we place a central line and monitor SvO2 in sepsis? Makes no difference (probably kills people too from iatrogenic misadventures from junior residents)

Reactions: 2 users
time consuming - yes. Complicated - nah - just learn to say "latest research shows that what we are doing is harmful"

Should we transfuse? No, kills people
Should we aggressively treat hyperglycemia - No, kills people
Should we hyperventilate due to ICP? - No, kills people
Should we give steroids to traumatic brain injury - No, kills people
Should we place a central line and monitor SvO2 in sepsis? Makes no difference (probably kills people too from iatrogenic misadventures from junior residents)

I didn't meant critical care itself is more complicated by concept. Critical care is all barbaric nuance and backed by little good evidence for doing much of anything. But rather that critical care was complicated by patients with more and more chronic medical illness. You do critical care in the context of more and more other things to take into account. It's not just just sepsis. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic with an EF of 30%. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic with an EF of 30% and COPD. Etc. It's important to take it all into account. And that makes care of the patients more complicated.