Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2023-2024 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
get more research done and get some publications out
get more connections
do that POCUS fellowship above maybe
do things to strengthen your resume while working as hospitalist or something

try again, cast your net more broadly and you will match again later on

but the love of whatever deity you believe in, ignore all Nephrology fellowship emails
Its pretty funny I almost signed a contract to a nephrology fellowship in my hometown the day after match day. I'm sure i wasn't the only person who was just really sad and almost made a massive mistake.

I'm still just kinda recovering at this point. Still feel numb from it all. But i'm sure in the next month or two ill take the advice you posted above. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
doing nephrology in an attempt to “stuff the stat sheet” will not make you a better candidate for pccm . It wastes your Pgy years. While there is no law stating one cannot do multiple fellowships that are not in the same pathway (like pccm then sleep then IP or something ), PDs tend to not do this as it “costs more” from a GME funding standpoint and willl only do so for someone who will bring in the research or some other value for the program . At best , the pccm PDs will question where your heart and desire really lies ?

Doing hosptialist or something else while getting pubmed citations (a form of social currency for academic doctors ) does stuff the stat sheet . Maybe find some hospitalist gig in an RCU or something shrugs.

I think there's always some post-match dysphoria. We are ranking programs sight unseen after all so there's always going to be a what if factor.

I'm very hopeful that next year we can go back to in-person interviews. There remains pressure from the professional associations to continue virtual interviews but if there's enough push-back from applicants that may change. If virtual interviews weren't beneficial in interviewing and picking places, please complain.

From the program side, virtual interviews are really terrible.

Hey, so I matched in CCM which was pretty far down my list. I‘m actually kinda thrilled because I got a good vibe off the program but I’m a little worried about the job market later. Anyone have any insight or pointers? BTW guys honestly this was a brutal match and I‘m just glad to move forwards, best of luck to the rest of you, this thread was a major support for me

If your goal is to be a full-time intensivist, a CCM program is better than a PCCM program, and the job market is fine for the foreseeable future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very hopeful that next year we can go back to in-person interviews. There remains pressure from the professional associations to continue virtual interviews but if there's enough push-back from applicants that may change. If virtual interviews weren't beneficial in interviewing and picking places, please complain.

From the program side, virtual interviews are really terrible.

If your goal is to be a full-time intensivist, a CCM program is better than a PCCM program, and the job market is fine for the foreseeable future.
I do wonder if I would have been more excited to leave my home program if I had done in-person interviews and gotten a feel for the city and facilities. I know we can always visit cities after but it's not quite the same to just wander a city. I did appreciate places that offered second looks after they submitted their rank lists but not everyone did this.

So … I matched and now I’m thinking of pulling the plug because of some major changes in my personal life. The main thing holding me back is the headache it would cause for the program. Thoughts?

So … I matched and now I’m thinking of pulling the plug because of some major changes in my personal life. The main thing holding me back is the headache it would cause for the program. Thoughts?
One of my friends pulled out of fellowship due to some family issues. He originally planned to go bacm but fell in love with the hospitalist lifestyle. As far as I can see, no issues in pulling out as long as you tell your PD as soon as possible so that they have time to find someone new to replace you. Better now than later. I'd bring it up to the PD, explain your situation, and go from there

Where are you at ? I’d love to take your spot. Pls PM.

Hey everyone — I thought about it more and talked to some mentors and I think I’ve decided to stick with it even though it will be hard in the short term. I think fellowship will make me happier in the long term. Sorry for any false hope I might have created and good luck to those of you who plan to reapply.

Hey everyone — I thought about it more and talked to some mentors and I think I’ve decided to stick with it even though it will be hard in the short term. I think fellowship will make me happier in the long term. Sorry for any false hope I might have created and good luck to those of you who plan to reapply.
good luck. the road is long an arduous (especially if your program is not a cush one that has night intensivists doing the night ICU shifts) but you will be in a better place compared to hospitalist / PCP at the end of the day.