Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do we pick a job well? Couple of questions - does an IP fellowship end up paying well in the long run or enough of them around already? Will a lot of experience with ILD be as valuable? The place where I'm hoping I'll end up sees a lot of ILD; I'd say that is their strongest suit.
I know that my ROL is very different from what I thought it would be when the interviews came in. After the first few interviews, looking at how diverse training could be in different 'good' places, I decided that if there's one thing I wasn't going to compromise on, it would be clinical/procedural training though I had my heart set initially on places that would train me well s a 'physician scientist'.
I figured I could continue training as a researcher after fellowship, but would die of shame if I graduated a sissy ICU doc.

The dirty secret about interventional bronchs is that they don't pay more than regular bronchs. More time. Same reimbursement no matter how much extra time you took to biopsy lesions and sample every node.

You're not really going to get paid "extra" to do it anywhere so only do it if you like it. Most places will like the extra skill set but it will just be "one more extra" thing you will do on too of pulmonary and critical care unless you can find a hospital or group who will protect some time for it.

Hell yeah ILD is important to be exposed to. In the community you'll be sent people who aren't breathing good with marking on chest imaging. Figure it out. If you're not comfortable enough figuring it out you're going to spend a lot of try and energy messing around trying up figure it out. You don't have a lot of extra time to deal with "interesting cases" so you need to know how and when to pull the right triggers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The dirty secret about interventional bronchs is that they don't pay more than regular bronchs. More time. Same reimbursement no matter how much extra time you took to biopsy lesions and sample every node.

You're not really going to get paid "extra" to do it anywhere so only do it if you like it. Most places will like the extra skill set but it will just be "one more extra" thing you will do on too of pulmonary and critical care unless you can find a hospital or group who will protect some time for it.

Hell yeah ILD is important to be exposed to. In the community you'll be sent people who aren't breathing good with marking on chest imaging. Figure it out. If you're not comfortable enough figuring it out you're going to spend a lot of try and energy messing around trying up figure it out. You don't have a lot of extra time to deal with "interesting cases" so you need to know how and when to pull the right triggers.
Wow, it's nice to know these secrets. It would be nice to have a forum for PCCM career/job advice for current/to-be fellows. Thanks for your time jdh!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounded unnecessarily whiny so I edited it. Big question is how much am I losing from clinical training by going to the more academically focused programs that offer ~18 months of protected time and how much am I gaining in training by going to a program that has a transplant program (that is not as active as UPMC). If anyone can comment it would be a huge help!

Last edited:
Sounded unnecessarily whiny so I edited it. Big question is how much am I losing from clinical training by going to the more academically focused programs that offer ~18 months of protected time and how much am I gaining in training by going to a program that has a transplant program (that is not as active as UPMC). If anyone can comment it would be a huge help!

You can't get any research done 80% clinical. You just can't. You need that 80% research time bench or otherwise to get over the inertia and get anything real done.

I went to a program where I had 18 protected months and lung transplant. The 18 months were good for me because they dissuaded me of the notion that I wanted to be a physician scientist (science is cool, begging for money and trying to make reviewers happy is not, which is what it all boils down too - color me cynical if you like - plus too much old school back-room politics at big academic centers). Lung transplant was good and I think it would be good for anyone, but it is NOT an absolute necessity. I think you can do fine in an 18 months protected program provided that you actually see patients on call all three years, most (no less than 6) of your 9 pulmonary months are actually in-patient consult months and half of those consult months are at the academic hospital (ugh - so hard but necessary), and you get your own personal continuity clinic that you personally run (with supervision of course) for at least two or more years. You get all of that, even if you decided not to do the research and academic stuff, you can dip out, no hard feels, and go work anywhere.

Hi there, a lot of 18/18 programs are very different from each other. UCLA, Indiana, OSU, CCF for example offer a LOT both clinically and research wise. On the other hand Yale, Hopkins, Stanford, BWH offer a lot more research wise comparative to their clinical rigor - you'll SEE a lot at these places, but possibly won't DO a lot. Not been to UPMC but UCLA/Indy/CCF provide enough transplant exposure to make you competent enough to manage these patients.

When you say DO a lot what do you mean? I guess I'd rather have the opportunity to see more ILD's and alpha1's at the end of the line and get comfortable with their management rather than do my 300th IJ or Bronch. Did you feel that the interventional/clinical skills were deficient at these places because they farmed out what should be fellow procedures to other services or that the numbers just weren't where you wanted them to be? Also JDH I kind of want to try the physician scientist deal only because its really the last time in the development of my career that I get the opportunity, maybe the ratio will change I just don't want to look back with regret.

When you say DO a lot what do you mean? I guess I'd rather have the opportunity to see more ILD's and alpha1's at the end of the line and get comfortable with their management rather than do my 300th IJ or Bronch. Did you feel that the interventional/clinical skills were deficient at these places because they farmed out what should be fellow procedures to other services or that the numbers just weren't where you wanted them to be? Also JDH I kind of want to try the physician scientist deal only because its really the last time in the development of my career that I get the opportunity, maybe the ratio will change I just don't want to look back with regret.
What I meant was that the 2nd group of programs I mentioned are a lot more research-focused, and the procedural training is not as good, and it's not like their particularly stand-out when compared to the first group in terms of the diversity/complexity of cases they see (except OSU, Yale for transplant - they're firing back up).

Indiana and UCLA for example see tons of everything and their physician-scientist track is very, and I mean very well laid out. Indiana has a Master's program that is very well integrated into their 36 month fellowship, the mentors are amazing, and their clinical rigor IMO is hard to beat.

UCLA's clinical stuff is top-notch, and for fellows who want to take the physician scientist track they're very open about advertising that they'll support you 100%. In fact, they guarantee you a slot as junior faculty after you graduate and will 'keep' you until funding hits if you show commitment and promise. I haven't been to any other place that's so supportive.

Mayo and CCF - you'll see a lot more complex ILD/end-of-the-road/crazy stuff than most other places, and can go be an 'ILD expert' elsewhere when you graduate from these programs, and be great with procedures as well. Both do provide the option of some career development as a physician-scientist, but it's somewhat less well structured.

I haven't interviewed at UPMC/UMich/UPenn/UCSF but of the places I've interviewed at, the Yale program seems to offer the most options in formal education as a researcher and the flexibility and support to mould your research trajectory as you like, but you'll have to forget about the possibility of being able to do EBUS on your own when you graduate. They also don't tube their own patients (to me, that's very important. It's my patient, I'm at the bedside, and I should be comfortable tubing them). Most of the big name north east programs just about meet the ACGME requirements for regular bronchs, and that's about all they're doing for procedures other than thoras. In fact, I know from speaking with my attendings/seniors that at regional conferences/skills labs, UMass/UConn/Rochester fellows are miles ahead with procedural skills.

I know that I would love to match at my #1, but I know for a fact that I'd be perfectly happy and content matching into any of my # 2 through 8 as well. There's a LOT of absolutely awesome programs out there. I started out the season really looking for that physician-scientist track and star-struck about interviewing at some places. After talking with faculty, getting a better sense of what the reality of it is like, I decided I'd been a little naive, and would not compromise my clinical training at the cost of my research training. I personally hate, and have no interest or skills with politics and one-upmanship. I will absolutely do research in the future, there are some burning questions/theories I'd like to test out, but probably in a little while.

One important thing - the confounder, that grain of salt. Every interviewee's experience/day is slightly different. After that, it's a personal choice as to what you want most at the expense of, or in addition to what. I remember you had some awesome calls...all the best!

You can't get any research done 80% clinical. You just can't. You need that 80% research time bench or otherwise to get over the inertia and get anything real done.

I went to a program where I had 18 protected months and lung transplant. The 18 months were good for me because they dissuaded me of the notion that I wanted to be a physician scientist (science is cool, begging for money and trying to make reviewers happy is not, which is what it all boils down too - color me cynical if you like - plus too much old school back-room politics at big academic centers). Lung transplant was good and I think it would be good for anyone, but it is NOT an absolute necessity. I think you can do fine in an 18 months protected program provided that you actually see patients on call all three years, most (no less than 6) of your 9 pulmonary months are actually in-patient consult months and half of those consult months are at the academic hospital (ugh - so hard but necessary), and you get your own personal continuity clinic that you personally run (with supervision of course) for at least two or more years. You get all of that, even if you decided not to do the research and academic stuff, you can dip out, no hard feels, and go work anywhere.
- So I was just speaking with some post-docs who work with this big-shot researcher...I was told inclusion criteria are often fudged/overlooked when you get paid per recruitee.
- Personal experience: another big-shot researcher didn't want to re-do the stats even after I pointed out that there was a big mess up when the database was being cleaned up in readiness for the stats because it would be 'too much effort' to re-do stuff, and the submission deadline was close.
Recently jaded (and disgusted),
Leo

No worries I TOTALLY get it. That's why I tried the physician scientist thing. You might love it. I shouldn't be quite so negative about it all. I don't want to project my experiences too strongly.

I think I still stand by my above assessments though. See patients in the ICU on call for three years, a solid 6 inpatient consult months half at the tertiary center campus, and a continuity clinic that is yours for 2+ years and you'll likely be fine even in an 18/18

Not been to UPMC but UCLA/Indy/CCF provide enough transplant exposure to make you competent enough to manage these patients.

Managing transplant patients is not easy. YOU ARE their primary at that point. Only getting a month or two exposure in your fellowship is not going to be enough. Many people who are really interested end up doing further training. Best thing you want to learn is when its time to refer them to the right people. Just as a general GI doc does not like managing Liver transplant patients. Lol from what I have seen from my limited experience.

Last edited:
Managing transplant patients is not easy. YOU ARE their primary at that point. Only getting a month or two exposure in your fellowship is not going to be enough. Many people who are really interested end up doing further training. Best thing you want to learn is when its time to refer them to the right people. Just as a general GI doc does not like managing Liver transplant patients. Lol from what I have seen from my limited experience.
Yeah, you're right, and from what I've heard from the fellows/programs at these places is how much TX they deal with and how comfortable they get dealing with it. The CCF fellows' biggest gripe is how much tx they have to deal with.

i am very grateful for all the advice and support i got on this thread. i wish the best of luck to all of you in your endeavors. i am extremely lucky and happy to say that i have been offered and have accepted a pure CC spot. i won't say where because of my personal beliefs, but i'm very happy with where i'm going. take care!
-airplane doc

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i am very grateful for all the advice and support i got on this thread. i wish the best of luck to all of you in your endeavors. i am extremely lucky and happy to say that i have been offered and have accepted a pure CC spot. i won't say where because of my personal beliefs, but i'm very happy with where i'm going. take care!
-airplane doc
Congratulations!!

Anyone else having trouble ranking?
I filled out a list of criteria and gave ratings for all programs and all this bs, but everyday I'm changing my mind. Sometimes location is more important, sometimes I want the program that has the best "reputation," and sometimes I'm just like eff it, I want to go somewhere that is going to be chilled out and "resident run" and relax a little bit. Sometimes it's easier to have strong family ties maybe or a relationship? But I'm not in that camp.

Just wondering if anyone can share a little nugget of advice that helped them make their ranking decisions...

+pity+

Got an email from my number 1 . The director said hope I would match with them. I am not sure if that mean much .. but at least positive.

To above... I ranked based on my gut feeling and how nice the whole interview experience was.

Anyone else having trouble ranking?
I filled out a list of criteria and gave ratings for all programs and all this bs, but everyday I'm changing my mind. Sometimes location is more important, sometimes I want the program that has the best "reputation," and sometimes I'm just like eff it, I want to go somewhere that is going to be chilled out and "resident run" and relax a little bit. Sometimes it's easier to have strong family ties maybe or a relationship? But I'm not in that camp.

Just wondering if anyone can share a little nugget of advice that helped them make their ranking decisions...

+pity+
Hey firsttima, my ROL is very different from what I thought it would be based on when I first got my list of invites. In the end I ended up ranking the best clinical programs with the best 'gut feeling' instead of just piling the biggest names on top. I figured if I didn't get good training as a fellow, I'd always regret not having been exposed to this procedure/that disease process.
That mid portion of the ROL is always tough but hope we all match into the 1st/2nd programs on out list.
Congrats on the love letter, looks like it's genyuvine!
1 month to go!

Where is everybody though...? It's so quiet in here!

sent my "you are my number 1" email yesterday....super stressful. The place is a reach for me but its worth a try!

WHY, oh WHY is CHEST in Montreal in October next year!!?:confused: It won't be snowing, nor will it be 'getting away' from the summer heat that time of year! ******s! Oh well, once in a while I guess you should actually attend the sessions at at least one conference you're paid for to go to...
Now ATS 2016 in San Fran is what I'll be submitting to!

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a PCCM SDN group at a national conferences. We could all be like... I'll be wearing blue-soled Cole Haans and a crimson pocket square....meet you at the Spiriva kiosk :hardy:

Or working extra shifts to get that shirt on their backs again after IV season mebbe...
Howz it going for you PJ?
Oh you know, moonlighting to pay off my credit cards that got charged up with interview costs, browsing primary care positions as back up, working on the ulcer that started with the residency match . . . :horns:

USC pulmonary rejection and UPMC cc rejection. It's just funny at this point

UPMC
First Email

Thank you for your interest in the Critical Care Medicine training program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. We were privileged to have you interview with us for a fellowship position. I am sorry that we will not be able to offer you a position in our Critical Care Medicine Fellowship for July 2015. We interview a large number of applicants each year for a limited number of positions.
Unfortunately, we do not have positions for many of the qualified candidates that apply. We wish you
continued success in your medical career.

Then A follow up
Thank you for your interest in the Critical Care Medicine training program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. We know that it would have been a privilege to have you interview with us for a fellowship position. We interview a large number of applicants each year for a limited number of positions. We apologize that we will not be able to offer you a position in our Critical Care Medicine Fellowship for July 2015.
Unfortunately, we do not have positions for many of the qualified candidates that apply. We wish you
continued success in your medical career.

Whatever

Guys, do u all really think e-mailing your top choice that you are ranking them as ''number 1'' helps in any way at this point in time? What if this is not your home program but a neighbour and all the local PDs know each other. Will this hurt ur chances at home program? Advice needed :)

Guys, do u all really think e-mailing your top choice that you are ranking them as ''number 1'' helps in any way at this point in time? What if this is not your home program but a neighbour and all the local PDs know each other. Will this hurt ur chances at home program? Advice needed :)
For e-mailing: 1) couldn't hurt to send some love towards your #1
Against e-mailing: 1) For the most part, all the ROLs have been finalized by programs unless they're last-minute-putter-offers. 2) Possibly could affect your chances at home program, esp if it's your #2, and you don;t end up matching at your #1

It certainly shouldn't hurt, as long as you do it in a tasteful manner. I did it for my #1 and part of the reason why was that during the interview day, they openly said "we want people who want to come here."

I suppose it's possible that it could hurt your chances at your home program, though if it's truly your #1, you have to decide if the gamble is worth it.

Got some calls/emails "as a reminder to register NRMP".. None mentioned anything specific about rank/love. That's a smart move from programs :)
I just want to fast forward to Dec 3!

Last edited:
So I finally finished my last interview and I guess it is time for the "please rank me high" letters? I feel awkward and tired of all this post interview communication BS and to be honest my correspondence has been decreasing every week into the interview season. After my first interview everyone I interviewed with got a personal thank you email. After a few more interviews only the PD got a letter. Lately, to be honest, there has been no thank you emails sent out by me unless the program is exceptional. Hopefully I'm not blowing my chances.

Anyway, so here are my questions. Would you recommend that I send a love letter to my number 1-5 programs or can I skip it and trust the matching process? Second question: Are you guys getting a lot of emails/phone calls now when it's close to rank order deadline? I only got an email from one program, which seemed very generic, asking us to provide our NRMP numbers. None of those famous "rank to match letters".

So I finally finished my last interview and I guess it is time for the "please rank me high" letters? I feel awkward and tired of all this post interview communication BS and to be honest my correspondence has been decreasing every week into the interview season. After my first interview everyone I interviewed with got a personal thank you email. After a few more interviews only the PD got a letter. Lately, to be honest, there has been no thank you emails sent out by me unless the program is exceptional. Hopefully I'm not blowing my chances.

Anyway, so here are my questions. Would you recommend that I send a love letter to my number 1-5 programs or can I skip it and trust the matching process? Second question: Are you guys getting a lot of emails/phone calls now when it's close to rank order deadline? I only got an email from one program, which seemed very generic, asking us to provide our NRMP numbers. None of those famous "rank to match letters".

What would you write to your #2-5? "I plan to rank you #2-5" or "I plan to rank you highly"? I think program directors can read between the lines. I think they'll know that they're not your #1. If I were you I would send a letter to my #1 only.

USC pulmonary rejection and UPMC cc rejection. It's just funny at this point
Ha ha got the same... despite having gotten notice from them previously that they couldn't accommodate my visa status!

I apologize in advance for this question in case it seems redundant... Its regarding ranking strategies... The NRMP website recommends (or at least my understanding of it!) that we rank programs based purely on our preference... A few seniors and faculty have told me otherwise. Having attempted the algorithms, all I can say is that such analysis is far beyond me!
I am wondering if, by rating my reach programs highest, am I potentially losing out on matching at my 3rd or 4th choice?

Ha ha got the same... despite having gotten notice from them previously that they couldn't accommodate my visa status!

I apologize in advance for this question in case it seems redundant... Its regarding ranking strategies... The NRMP website recommends (or at least my understanding of it!) that we rank programs based purely on our preference... A few seniors and faculty have told me otherwise. Having attempted the algorithms, all I can say is that such analysis is far beyond me!
I am wondering if, by rating my reach programs highest, am I potentially losing out on matching at my 3rd or 4th choice?

No. That's not how it works. It ranks in applicant preference first.

I.e. It puts everyone at their #1 if their #1 ranks them. For the places that have more applicants than spots, it goes to the programs rank list and bumps the lower ranked folks to their #2. Rinse and repeat.

The programs are incentivized to have you rank them first, you are not. If you have 3 reaches and 1 backup that has you number 1 on their list, and rank in that order, you are gauranteed a spot at your backup but could still match at your reach programs. If you put the backup 1 and they have you 1, you go there without a shot at the reach.

Rank in the order of your preference. The algorithm cannot be gamed and is in your favor. Anyone who tells you otherwise does not understand the system.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, any opinion on UIC Chicago and Wakeforest pulmonary/crit programs? Anyone who interviewed there? The geography is drastically different...i acknowledge that..Lol. anyone else interview at these programs? Thanks

What! Is everyone gone from this group already?

What! Is everyone gone from this group already?

Hey, I haven't posted in awhile, just been reading along. I did not interview at UIC, but I did go Wake Forest to interview. I really liked WF. People were really nice, fairly strong clinical training. If you want to be the next Nobel prize winning academic researcher getting grants and whatnot I would not suggest trying to do it at WF. They do not do any transplant and if my memory serves me correctly they consider CF a weakness as well. I left WF with a really good feeling, and its hard to articulate or quantify that. Its also a beautiful area, not too far to drive from the beach, not to far to drive to the mountains.

I'm sure this post didn't help you very much, but I didn't want you to feel lonely :)

Also thought Wake Forest was a really nice spot to train. But like it's been said on here multiple times, rank how you liked the spot!

Last edited:
Any thought about Winthrop? I interviewed there, thought they are strong clinically and also offer good clinical research experiences too.

Last edited:
So I do a month in our ICU in January. I'm a little worried it's going to be weird. I didn't rank my home institution all that high, I hoping to match elsewhere. I'm worried it's going to be like running into an ex girlfriend.

Thoughts?

So I do a month in our ICU in January. I'm a little worried it's going to be weird. I didn't rank my home institution all that high, I hoping to match elsewhere. I'm worried it's going to be like running into an ex girlfriend.

Thoughts?

haha. I have one more icu after the match too. It can go either way and be awkward/weird if you ranked them high and you end up elsewhere. We have to do what's best for our lives. just like moving on from ex-gf.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Hmmm...I'm sure they're probably aware at some level you don't wanna stay or you'd have sent them that 'I adore you, will you marry me' email, and even if they aren't, you'll have matched by Jan, and they'll have gotten over being dumped :))
Maybe a way to mitigate possible unpleasantness might be sending the faculty a nice email post match thanking them for their training, guidance, opportunities, and letters without which you couldn't have matched at your #1, and how you're now going to take that legacy to a new institution. .yada..yada...yada..

haha. I have one more icu after the match too. It can go either way and be awkward/weird if you ranked them high and you end up elsewhere. We have to do what's best for our lives. just like moving on from ex-gf.

this happened to a person in my home program last year. was awkward for a little bit, then he wised up and figured out who cares. He was leaving in a few months. You can also give them the ...its not you its me speech since we are talking about ex-gf's.

Speaking of help. Can someone give me their thoughts on CCF (ohio), wayne state and Henry ford. I am mostly looking for a well rounded clinical fellowship. At this point in my career I decided to give up a research/academic career, but i am open to a career at a university affiliated/community program teaching residents. So my question is which one would give me a awesome clinical experience and still has "enough" name recognition to not totally close doors.

Speaking of help. Can someone give me their thoughts on CCF (ohio), wayne state and Henry ford. I am mostly looking for a well rounded clinical fellowship. At this point in my career I decided to give up a research/academic career, but i am open to a career at a university affiliated/community program teaching residents. So my question is which one would give me a awesome clinical experience and still has "enough" name recognition to not totally close doors.

Detroit and Cleveland are similar so CCF > HF > Wayne state in my opinion

Is it worthwhile to get your program director to call your number 2 and 3 ????

Are you more of a critical care junkie??

Crap I just saw you replied to my question. Yes definitely a CC junkie but I want pulm experience too

Just wanted to add how I decided to rank

NYU
Montefiore
NSLIJ
Stony Brook
SLU
Winthrop
Tulane
NBIMC

I wasn't able to make the Baylor CCM only interview and had to cancel, they couldn't get a date before rank list submission deadline :(