Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, excited to start applying and interviewing and spending thousands of dollars!
Had one quick question about ERAS. While filling in my Residency training program info, I obviously put July 2012-June 2015. But when I look at the preview of final application its coming up as 35 months instead of 36 months? WTF. What do you guys suggest back date to June 2012 or front date to July 2015?

Me too, excited to start applying and interviewing and spending thousands of dollars!
Had one quick question about ERAS. While filling in my Residency training program info, I obviously put July 2012-June 2015. But when I look at the preview of final application its coming up as 35 months instead of 36 months? WTF. What do you guys suggest back date to June 2012 or front date to July 2015?
I suggest a beer or 3 since it makes no difference.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it's a major issue. Programs will understand that you'll complete 3 years of residency training by the time you start. But if your OCD is bothering you that much, I guess designating your start date as June 2012 wouldn't be that drastic.

Good luck to all the applicants and interviewees! It's a kinda crazy, kinda costly, kinda fun process. Check out last year's 770+ post thread for similar timeline of interviews and general advice. Just went thru it last year, I can't believe I'm about to start fellowship in a week and a half... Oh man.

How many LORs do most programs want. I have two strong ones (MICU Director and Research PI). My 3rd may be a cardiologist do I even need the 3rd?

Also as someone who has developed an interest in ECMO recently do I NEED to go to an ECMO center or can I get training after fellowship? I'm somewhat geographically challenged by marriage so the northeast (preferably new england) is where I have to be.

Lastly I would be interested in thoughts about advanced fellowships like transplant, interventional pulm or pulmonary htn.

Hello !
I need to ask you if I am appealing for pccm/critical care / pulmonary and asking for LOR from program director . Do I have to ask her for 3 different letters regarding each speciality or one should be fine ?

How many LORs do most programs want. I have two strong ones (MICU Director and Research PI). My 3rd may be a cardiologist do I even need the 3rd?

Also as someone who has developed an interest in ECMO recently do I NEED to go to an ECMO center or can I get training after fellowship? I'm somewhat geographically challenged by marriage so the northeast (preferably new england) is where I have to be.

Lastly I would be interested in thoughts about advanced fellowships like transplant, interventional pulm or pulmonary htn.

One of your letters will need to be from your IM PD. You may not need the cardiologist, but have him write it anyway, some programs want three letters PLUS the PD letter and some programs was three letters INCLUDING the PD letter. So you need 4 letters.

Yes. You need to go to a spot that does ECMO if you want to learn it during fellowship. Trying to find additional training after fellowship is probably possible, but you'll have to hustle around to find it. You could also learn it "on the job" so to speak, but you'll have to sort that out.

There are no official boarded advanced fellowships. The additional interventional pulm year is becoming more standard and will eventually be an official boarded sub-specialty, but you need to ask what it is you want to do, because most bronchoscopy does not require an interventional year and this includes doing EBUS. You also really do not need additional training in transplant or pulmonary hypertension if you simply structure your fellowship correctly.

Hello !
I need to ask you if I am appealing for pccm/critical care / pulmonary and asking for LOR from program director . Do I have to ask her for 3 different letters regarding each speciality or one should be fine ?

You're applying to pulm/cc, critical care, and pulmonary fellowships? You really should have three different letters IMHO.

To those lucky matched helpers: Any of you interviewed at OHSU/UW? No fellow profiles, unable to really get a decent sense of what they're about from their website. Am interested in a program with solid clinicals but also good mentoring/research training/decent-heavy reserach emphasis.

To those lucky matched helpers: Any of you interviewed at OHSU/UW? No fellow profiles, unable to really get a decent sense of what they're about from their website. Am interested in a program with solid clinicals but also good mentoring/research training/decent-heavy reserach emphasis.
OHSU has a pretty strong research component for its size. I've seen more fellows come out of PCCM into research based academic jobs (if that's a thing you care about) than any other IM subspecialty there recently. And there are 5 different ICUs for your tubing/lining pleasure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help please
I submitted a lot of abstract to ACP now some got accepted for posters n some didn't
Should I mention about the ones didn't get accepted
If yes where? Which section on application.?
Also what about grand round presentation where should I mention that if I should
Will be every thankful for any inputs

Hello again
When do you usually ask your program director for a phone call and how many is the standard

Hello again
When do you usually ask your program director for a phone call and how many is the standard
Asked my chief residents from last year (though none of them were PCCM) - they said that early phone calls mostly serve to irritate. The advice I got was that when you're done with interviews, CONSIDER having your PD call ONE or TWO places you really want to go to.

OHSU has a pretty strong research component for its size. I've seen more fellows come out of PCCM into research based academic jobs (if that's a thing you care about) than any other IM subspecialty there recently. And there are 5 different ICUs for your tubing/lining pleasure.
Good to know, thanks gutonc. Do they take FMGs at all?

Help please
I submitted a lot of abstract to ACP now some got accepted for posters n some didn't
Should I mention about the ones didn't get accepted
If yes where? Which section on application.?
Also what about grand round presentation where should I mention that if I should
Will be every thankful for any inputs
You can only include posters that have been accepted or selected. Grand rounds doesn't count IMO.

UW is arguably one of the top 5 academic training spots. It's a brutal first year following by the expectation that you will produce a lot of research. I don't think having a "maybe - let me see" attitude of research is the correct match there, and if that is kind of your approach don't feel bad when they say "no" to your application, no hard feelings. Does UW "only" put out academic physicians? No. But they certainly want to, so unless you are 1000% convinced, I wouldn't worry too much.

OHSU has a solid reputation nationally, and by what I know the kind of research approach you sound like you're interested in taking. The only drawback to OHSU, in my opinion, is lack of lung transplant there.

UW is arguably one of the top 5 academic training spots. It's a brutal first year following by the expectation that you will produce a lot of research. I don't think having a "maybe - let me see" attitude of research is the correct match there, and if that is kind of your approach don't feel bad when they say "no" to your application, no hard feelings. Does UW "only" put out academic physicians? No. But they certainly want to, so unless you are 1000% convinced, I wouldn't worry too much.

OHSU has a solid reputation nationally, and by what I know the kind of research approach you sound like you're interested in taking. The only drawback to OHSU, in my opinion, is lack of lung transplant there.
mucho gracias senor(ita)! Yeah, was just wondering. I do know that the NW programs usually adopt their own, and I train in the NE. I'll find out I guess..

Am researching programs and heard good things about UF Gainesville, but tell me, do you really have to drive 2 hours to Orlando for some ICU rotations? For me that's a no-go.
Reviews on Emory's program? Is it a decent program or really malignant. I don't mind Atlanta, and am aware they rotate through 5 different hospitals

Last edited:
Am researching programs and heard good things about UF Gainesville, but tell me, do you really have to drive 2 hours to Orlando for some ICU rotations? For me that's a no-go.
Reviews on Emory's program? Is it a decent program or really malignant. I don't mind Atlanta, and am aware they rotate through 5 different hospitals

I'm an IMG/US Citizen from a mid-tier state uni in the NE, PGY4 Chief resident, 1 review article, 6-7 case report posters at national pulm meetings, 3 research posters, 3 clinical research articles in the works but none published yet (probably in the next 2-3 months), good academic track record, actively involved in a lot of QI stuff (and I love it!). Am really interested in some place with active research mentoring, potential for masters in clinical research. Love pulm>critical care slightly, hopefully want to focus on pulm vascular diseases, have no experience but wouldn't mind spending time in the lab at all. Am desperately hoping will get calls from a few top 10 places. Am I being realistic? My seniors' profiles were for the most part vastly different from mine in various ways, so their experiences I can't count on.

Do you want to do research for the next 20 years? Fight for grants and write papers? Are you willing to spend 4 years doing a 3 year fellowship to make all of this happen? These are the three questions you need to answer right now, otherwise you are in many ways wasting the time of any top 10 program. The top 10 are top 10 not because they are clinically THAT much better than the next 20-30 academic spots, but because of their RESEARCH.

I simply don't think most of you understand what you are asking for with a top 10 spot. This isn't good board scores, great letters of recommendation, some posters plugged into the research section of your CV type of situation any longer. This is about CAREER. The top 10 spots WANT to get folks who want to fight for grants and publish papers every single year, all the while working for much less salary and likely longer hours to a place where they can do that and stay in academics until they are done, tracking to full professor. If that isn't what you want to do with every fiber of your being, then you're kind of wasting the time of a top 10, though you might get a nod from one or two for an interview to try and feel you out, depending on the applicant pool for the coming year.

PLENTY of fantastic spots in the top 20 below the top 10 where the clinical experience will not be any worse for the fancy technology and complicated university patients than at a top 10, with reasonable research expectations that will allow to see if you like it, all the while getting you done with fellowship in three years, where you can make an informed decision whether you want to be more of a clinician or researcher.

UF is supposed to be solid, lots of interventional bronch work. Though I don't know about driving two hours to an ICU. If the experience is one where you get to "run" an community ICU with minimal attending supervision, those type of ICU months are almost always worth whatever trouble you have to go through to work them.

Emory does still have the "gossip" about it being "malignant". I do not know how true that is. Too often people conflate being busy with "malignancy". The first year of any fellowship is going to be unpleasant on your time. If you get an invite you definitely need to check them out.

My $0.02

Do you want to do research for the next 20 years? Fight for grants and write papers? Are you willing to spend 4 years doing a 3 year fellowship to make all of this happen? These are the three questions you need to answer right now, otherwise you are in many ways wasting the time of any top 10 program. The top 10 are top 10 not because they are clinically THAT much better than the next 20-30 academic spots, but because of their RESEARCH.

I simply don't think most of you understand what you are asking for with a top 10 spot. This isn't good board scores, great letters of recommendation, some posters plugged into the research section of your CV type of situation any longer. This is about CAREER. The top 10 spots WANT to get folks who want to fight for grants and publish papers every single year, all the while working for much less salary and likely longer hours to a place where they can do that and stay in academics until they are done, tracking to full professor. If that isn't what you want to do with every fiber of your being, then you're kind of wasting the time of a top 10, though you might get a nod from one or two for an interview to try and feel you out, depending on the applicant pool for the coming year.

PLENTY of fantastic spots in the top 20 below the top 10 where the clinical experience will not be any worse for the fancy technology and complicated university patients than at a top 10, with reasonable research expectations that will allow to see if you like it, all the while getting you done with fellowship in three years, where you can make an informed decision whether you want to be more of a clinician or researcher.
Yikes, that was brutal! JDH, that kind of environment is what I am looking for, research grants and what not. I am not naive, I do realize it is years of hard hard work and that ivy league pedigree counts. Being an FMG and all, and not being an ivy-leaguer with articles in CHEST/NEJM, I was just trying to gauge my chances.
I think I know exactly what I want. Dedicated research time, formal research training, enough time to test out all my research theories :), pulm rehan/CPET, like PHTN, even the heart failure variety, like critical care but not crazy about IP/LungTx and stuff.

Last edited:
Yikes, that was brutal! JDH, that kind of environment is what I am looking for, research grants and what not. I am not naive, I do realize it is years of hard hard work and that ivy league pedigree counts. Being an FMG and all, and not being an ivy-leaguer with articles in CHEST/NEJM, I was just trying to gauge my chances.
I think I know exactly what I want. Dedicated research time, formal research training, enough time to test out all my research theories :), pulm rehan/CPET, like PHTN, even the heart failure variety, like critical care but not crazy about IP/LungTx and stuff.

Here's what I would say then, IF that is what you want, you've got decent odds at some big name places. You need to make sure your personal statement reflects this. You need to tell them you WANT all of the special things they offer, which include that research mentorship. You want to an academic career and you need somewhere that will show you the best way to get it. You will consider places that will give you a chance at a 4th year higher than other places.

And I wasn't trying to be "brutal" - just trying to shed some light onto what the top 10 wants and what it means to go there. It's a post more for the entire forum group that will show up than just you. People who aren't interested in that kind of career need to not get in a twist when colorado, penn, UCSF, hopkins, and UW say "no". It's nothing personal.

Here's what I would say then, IF that is what you want, you've got decent odds at some big name places. You need to make sure your personal statement reflects this. You need to tell them you WANT all of the special things they offer, which include that research mentorship. You want to an academic career and you need somewhere that will show you the best way to get it. You will consider places that will give you a chance at a 4th year higher than other places.

And I wasn't trying to be "brutal" - just trying to shed some light onto what the top 10 wants and what it means to go there. It's a post more for the entire forum group that will show up than just you. People who aren't interested in that kind of career need to not get in a twist when colorado, penn, UCSF, hopkins, and UW say "no". It's nothing personal.
Yeah, my personal statement is pretty honest about what I want, no sucky-uppy business (no emotionally pregnant stories contrary to what was advised by a couple of my seniors). Let's see what the season brings.
Where IS everyone? Looks like its just me and a couple of other suckers here! and a couple hundred ghost trolls possibly.

Yeah, my personal statement is pretty honest about what I want, no sucky-uppy business (no emotionally pregnant stories contrary to what was advised by a couple of my seniors). Let's see what the season brings.
Where IS everyone? Looks like its just me and a couple of other suckers here! and a couple hundred ghost trolls possibly.

It's still kind of early. Give it a couple of weeks and after everyone has submitted their applications there will be a flood of new people asking why no one has invited them for an interview yet.

hello there
anyone aware how malpractice would affect chances for a fellowship application ? anyone heard any stories ?

lts
What do you mean?

well lets say you have been named in malpractice like many of the physicians and you had a settlement . you will be asked that in the application for eras . How this will affect your chances to get a fellowship ?

lts

well lets say you have been named in malpractice like many of the physicians and you had a settlement . you will be asked that in the application for eras . How this will affect your chances to get a fellowship ?

I don't remember that being on the application.

But if its there, you'll need to explain it. And if it was a pretty bad situation, then that will obviously be a problem.

Just like a DUI I'm college is different than getting busted in an on call room with cocaine and hookers.

Some stuff is hard to forget about.

well let me put it this way in this messed up legal system anyone could be named and so many physicians will be names after certain years .
The question is present in eras along with any felony or misdemeanor

well let me put it this way in this messed up legal system anyone could be named and so many physicians will be names after certain years .
The question is present in eras along with any felony or misdemeanor

That's too bad. You'll have to explain the situation. It could count against you.

Yes and no.
Hard to say without knowing the facts
If you say that there was a settlement it means you , your group or your institution went for a guilty plea and settled to avoid a prolongued and costly fight in court. Settlements are usually advised by the insurer to trim costs specially if they think the case will not be won in court. You can be named but not be part of the settlement if the charges against you were dismissed or ... if guilty you were part of it.
In any case you will have to tell them as many programs also request you to have a license to practice and prescribe controlled substances and that info should be disclosed to the licensing boards. Will it affect your application? It all depends what happened, it is true many MDs are named in malpractice cases however a minority are found to be guilty. Being named in a malpractice case is a common event nowadays. If you were dimissed of any wrongdoing would not affect it and actually would speak a lot about your honesty and values; if guilty that is different.
Good luck

Yes and no.
If you say that there was a settlement it means you , your group or your institution went for a guilty plea and settled to avoid a prolongued and costly fight in court. Settlements are usually advised by the insurer to trim costs specially if they think the case will not be won in court. You can be named but not be part of the settlement if the charges against you were dismissed or ... if guilty you were part of it.
In any case you will have to tell them as many programs also request you to have a license to practice and prescribe controlled substances and that info should be disclosed to the licensing boards. Will it affect your application? It all depends what happened, it is true many MDs are named in malpractice cases however a minority are found to be guilty. Being named in a malpractice case is a common event nowadays. If you were dimissed of any wrongdoing would not affect it and actually would speak a lot about your honesty and values; if guilty that is different.
Good luck

The problem is, as you mention, that even if you are not guilty of anything, many insurance companies will just settle to be done with it. I hate the reality that I will likely be sued in my career.

Thank you
Yes and no.
Good luck

BTW did anyone tried to contact my eras ? I need to reset my password tried to contact them and no reply maybe it is jul4 and everyone is on vacation .
Any luck anyone ?

BTW did anyone tried to contact my eras ? I need to reset my password tried to contact them and no reply maybe it is jul4 and everyone is on vacation .
Any luck anyone ?

I don't think they have a 24/7 support service. just the regular M-F 8-5 system.

I was able to speak with ERAS support service on the phone to reset my password. I called during a regular workday though.

Whats the deal about California letter in regards to fellowship application?

Hello again who do you use to review your personal statement ?
I am thinking to ask my program director although I graduated few years ago any advice ?

Having your program director review it is a good idea. I would also have a subspecialty PD look over it (ideally Pulm-CCM) or a Pulm-CCM faculty member who is involved in recruiting applicants. I am a few years into training and looking back, I would not have put as much thought and time into my personal statement as I did.

As a general advice, I would suggest just being very honest with what you really want to do with your life, and what you would like to get out of your fellowship. Don't sugar coat anything or be superfluous.

Thank you . One of my colleagues who ended up in mayo mentioned that usually candidates prepare their PS 3 months ahead . Now I could see why it will make a difference .

Yoohoo...anybody home!? It's awfully quiet in here, and here I thought we're about the most competitive IM sub-specialty these days..

Just found out I got a poster accepted to Chest Conference, was super ecstatic till I found out the conference registration fees for resident in training. I have to pay $1120 for full or $595 for one day! come on, how I am suppose to fork over that much dough while applying for fellowship applications. Highly doubt my program will be giving me that much reimbursement. ATS was much cheaper. Guess its confirmed, I shall be going broke this year lol.

Wait...no...isn't it more like $295, I got emails this AM too. Look under 'resident presenting abstract'.