Official 2012-2013 Endocrinology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow...got interview from Georgetown university...is it a good program??? anyone plz??

Members don't see this ad.

wow...got interview from Georgetown university...is it a good program??? anyone plz??
It is a horrible program Panipuri, Do not waste your time on attending an interview!!
I am not sure what you want Panipuri...............10 days ago you were crying about everything..............now that you have a couple of interviews, you are just asking nonsensical questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a horrible program Panipuri, Do not waste your time on attending an interview!!
I am not sure what you want Panipuri...............10 days ago you were crying about everything..............now that you have a couple of interviews, you are just asking nonsensical questions.
:thumbup:

how many invites does each program give out? and how much invites is enough?

5-10 invites per position...
how much is enough? ...thats an age old question..

check this.. http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2012.pdf

page 21.. matches by rank choice..

38% matched in 1st choice
10% in 2nd choice
6% in 3rd choice
4% >3rd choice....
2% matched in other speciality
40% unmatched...

as per the above data, i think 5 interviews should be enough to increase your chances of getting matched... For majority of the applicants, more than 5 invites wont make a difference..if you match, you match in your top 5 or you remain unmatched...BUT THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS !!!!!

5-10 invites per position...
how much is enough? ...thats an age old question..

check this.. http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2012.pdf

page 21.. matches by rank choice..

38% matched in 1st choice
10% in 2nd choice
6% in 3rd choice
4% >3rd choice....
2% matched in other speciality
40% unmatched...

as per the above data, i think 5 interviews should be enough to increase your chances of getting matched... For majority of the applicants, more than 5 invites wont make a difference..if you match, you match in your top 5 or you remain unmatched...BUT THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS !!!!!

I like these stats- not sure if I believe them but its nice that they exist. So what if you didn't get a rejection or an interview? Did they forget to send u a rejection? Thats kinda weird to me...

yeah its weird if you dont receive a rejection/interview from a program which has send out rejections. I consider that as rejection.

Program sends out rejections & I dont receive invite/rejection = rejection for me.
Program sends out invites only and I do not receive interview = rejection for me.
waiting list = rejection for me ( Its very rare for applicants in waiting list to get an interview)

Its the responsibility of all programs to send either invite/rejections to their applicants.. I hate when I dont get anything from them and i hate more when they dont answer my email about the application status.

Dear S Chicago, I am interested in endo and I am geographically limited to california. Can you please give your credentials.

thank u.

I haven't heard from Cedars or UCLA Harbor yet... was surprised to see people have gotten rejections already. I think I expected programs to just not contact people if they didn't get an interview. Or at least wait until later in the season (ie September or October) before they sent rejection emails.

I've gotten interviews from 2 places -
UC Denver
UCSD

No other news.

I'm surprised people are so panicked after the application has only been open for 2 weeks. Some programs have yet to download all my materials (some of my LOR were submitted only this past week). I think it's premature to worry so much. Based on the SDN responses here, interviews and rejections are coming pretty slowly.

No worries, guys!

Also, I think the 40% not matching may be skewed because of foreign medical grads??? I thought endo fellowships were pretty achievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dr12 -

I'd rather not give that info on this site. All I can really say is that I'm an American MD grad and am at a University program. Sorry to be vague. From the looks of it, you're not applying until next year, and are also considering GI? I may have more advice for you once interview season is over. ;)

wow...where is everyone? i dont see any new posts here..

Finally an interview from Albany medical center,waiting list cleveland clinic which I take it as a rejection.

Finally an interview from Albany medical center,waiting list cleveland clinic which I take it as a rejection.

Congratulations!! And best of luck for the interview.

I have a friend also applying in endo and she got an interview at University of Chicago as well, so can add that to list.

I feel like things have slowed down a lot, and I haven't heard from half of the programs I applied to. I think that probably is = to rejection. It's just weird to have not heard from programs that sent out rejections already... am I in an intermediate pile for use only if people bail on their interviews? Or will I just never hear from them?

Have you guys been responding to all of your interviews? I am having a hard time scheduling with busy work months, and haven't responded to some still. I don't want to be rude, I'm just not sure yet, plus also waiting to hear back from other programs.

Just invited UNC. Seems a little late like an afterthought from them. Anyone invited earlier?

anyone go on an interview yet? can you give some feedback on how it went? what to expect? you don't need to say where, just the gist of the day.

Last edited:
anyone go on an interview yet? can you give some feedback on how it went? what to expect? you don't need to say where, just the gist of the day.

Hey, from my interviews so far they all consist of a programs director overview of the program including research and fellow placement, a tour with the fellows lunch with the fellows and anywhere from 4-8 interviews lasting 15-30 minutes usually they are scheduled on conference days so u see that too. Hope this helps

Getting panic this week guys...added another 4 programs but so late in game right now...not sure whether it will matter or not. So far applied 13 programs in total just 1 invite!

Invite:
UC Davis

Waitlist:
UCLA - Harbor

Reject:
Cedars
Scripps

above rejections in last 2 weeks....its slowing down...hardly get emails now...

Friday I got an invite from Ohio and a rejection from U of Maryland. But overall I feel its slowing down

Interview at univ south florida @ tampa, rejection marshall university west virginia

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I am a practicing physician, 6 years out of residency. i am applying to endo fellowship this cycle. so far i have:

interviews at :
U. of Arizona
University of New Mexico
Tulane

I have rejections from:
Scripps
UCLA
UC davis
U. of texas Houston
Union Memorial Hospital

but havent heard from a lot of schools. do you think all schools are pretty much done giving out interviews?
Has anyone heard from USC?

Last edited:
rejection from Mass General by slow mail !!!! I wonder why do they still use mail system when we have internet/email !!!!!

Interview Baylor Houston, rejection Albert Einstein MC, PA

Snail mail rejection from Columbia University.. :rolleyes:
Rejection from AEMC, Philadelphia.. :rolleyes:

Any program still giving out interviews this late?

Rejection Georgetown, program coordinator offered interview on day I wasn't available when I called, few weeks later I get email. Does not appear to be well organized.
Cancelled VCU.

got a rejection from Albert Einstein in PA and a rejection from Stanford in CA

got a rejection from Albert Einstein in PA and a rejection from Stanford in CA

Rejection, Rejection, Rejection, Rejection..............and the story goes on!!
University of Missouri Columbia
Albert Einstein
University of Nebraska
University of Alabama

They all state that they have had an amazingly competitive year and had a really difficult time selecting the candidates that they want to interview. I feel the pain that they must be going through....................This is getting really boring now!!:sleep:

Program Name:

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc:

interview itinerary:

How many interviewers:

How many applicants:

Tour included visits to:

Questions asked:

happy fellows: yes / no / ? :

research opportunities: yes / no / ?

3 year research track?

visa sponsored?

City:

Things I liked about the program:

Things I disliked about the program:

Rate experience (0-10):

Conclusion:

Last edited:
Program Name: UTMB, Galveston

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: stayed in la quinta inn...near to university..had car rental for travel for those 2 days

Interview itinerary: the day starts at 11.30 am. meet the program co-ordinator, meet the fellows at 12, go out for lunch and come back for interviews.

How many interviewers: 4

How many applicants: 4

Tour included visits to: no tour of the hospital...was surprised..hospital is in shambles.. poor infrastructure.

Questions asked: why endocrine? why this program?

happy fellows: yes / no / ? : the first year fellows seemed to be really tired... they live about 20 miles away from hospital. i dont think fellows were happy.

research opportunities: yes / no / ? not much...its a clinical oriented program

3 year research track? optional

visa sponsored? yes both j1 and h1 i believe

City: galveston is a dead city.. nothing there. the faculty live far about 20 miles away in a nicer area.. weather is gloomy and rains a lot.. area around the hospital is not safe either..

Things I liked about the program: faculty is very friendly. the program director is excellent. i dont know how much clinical experience do the fellows actually get... prison hospital is in utmb so i believe they may see patient pathology.

Things I disliked about the program: hospital has poor and old infrastructure. faculty is also not research oriented.. 2 different sites which are far away from each other.

Rate experience (0-10): 6

Conclusion: average program..poor research opportunity..but very friendly faculty.

Great to see some ppl still getting interviews or hearing from programs. I haven't had any eras activity in over 3 weeks now and basically I set up my mind only in the 5 interviews I have and unlikely will go to more anyways.

panipuri questions are too long, but in summary i've been to 3 interviews, cities range from large and vibrant to medium-size and ok. All hospitals were great as far as infrastructure, only one so far has paid for my hotel.

Many interviewers, minimum of 4, max of 8!!! Just one didn't give a formal tour of the hospital/clinic but had more lectures on that day so probably no time was left.

Only on one fellows actually complained of being overworked at times but said faculty is very receptive of their needs and there been changes and will be more.

All have given me decent lunch and faculty has been very very friendly. One program director asked me endocrine questions!!!!! And another person asked me about an interesting case. otw predictable questions.

The major difference has been in their curriculum with one program being more outpatient, one more balanced but with a lot of research and one heavily inpatient oriented.

for sure i'm ranking 2 out of those 3 programs and still have 2 more interviews to go!

good luck and post your experiences

you just have to copy the template and enter the information...but thanks a lot for sharing information

Interview NIH. Anyone has any information about the program ?

got an invite to interview at USC yesterday.

i interviewed at U New Mexico, everyone was really friendly, cost of living is cheap there, stayed at MCM Elegante hotel which was old but the shuttle service was great, the program is 2 year, more towards clinical, stress importance on education- journal reviews, didactics, ect. see underserved as well as work in VA. People there seem laid back and seem to all get along well. they took me out to eat at an italian restaurant for lunch which was good.

has any one heard from U. C. Irvine?

Interviewed at University of Arizona- Tucson
they are interviewing 15 candidates for 2 spots
friendly staff
work at university hospital, VA, and county facility, but they are all far away from each other which means a lot of driving
clinical based
did not really get alone time with fellows to ask them questions
get four weeks of vacation
they pay for one conference a year

Interviewed at mostly 3 year programs so far. Most are clinical HEAVY 1st year with chill 2nd and 3rd years to do research. The programs I visited interview ~8-10 applicants per spot though one I visited seemed to be interviewing more like 15 per spot. No places paid for lodging and some not even for parking which I thought was in poor taste. I plan on recording all expenses for tax deduction... they are really adding up!