Official 2012-2013 Endocrinology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea.. It is work permit..

Members don't see this ad.

Only 1 IV so far.. Just wondering what they r looking for in application?
I have 6 poster presentations, 2 manuscripts published.. , strong LOR.. Visa: EAD.. Don't know what's wrong..
Don't have much hopes now.

Nothing wrong with your credentials..............I think that they are great!! It is the programs that are over inundated with applications and have a field day picking who they want without any real objective comparison. Good Luck!! You only need one position to get in and you have an interview........So, Good Luck!! I hope that you get it.

Interview from Mayo Clinic
Rejection from Virginia Commonwealth university

Members don't see this ad :)
panipuri, congrats. Is it the interview from mayo rochester? Do you mind sharing your credentials please, thankyou.

Last edited:
yes its rochester, minnesota...
I dont want to share credential on public platform.. I am sorry.. but yes competitive usmle scores + research publications + chief residency...thanks

Interview from Mayo Clinic
Rejection from Virginia Commonwealth university

This just shows how completely random the whole process is.

I would have thought that Mayo would have been much, much more difficult to get an interview at than VCU. Mayo has a world class reputation in every specialty.

Obviously there must be other things at play like VCU maybe taking only internal candidates?

Only 1 IV so far.. Just wondering what they r looking for in application?
I have 6 poster presentations, 2 manuscripts published.. , strong LOR.. Visa: EAD.. Don't know what's wrong..
Don't have much hopes now.

I guess it depends on where and the number of programs you applied? You seems to have a really strong profile.

My profile is not very strong. Only 1 poster presentation. 1 submitted manuscript not even got published yet. I don't have phD. I guess ok usmle. I hope a strong LOR. Lol. Even worse I am img on visa. Omg the more I talk the more I feel bad about myself.

Anyway. Lots of strong programs haven't sent out invitation so you can still put your hope up. I think. The program that sent out invitation maybe u didn't applied?

Last edited:
Panipuri, do you need visa, if yes-what sort. I am just trying to guess if it would have been better to do J1.

No idea what works and what doesn't. Also not comfortable being too open publicly until after the match. Fellowships need to get the right people and interviews are a lot of work so they try to pre-screen people that seem like a good fit. Remember most programs get >100 applications for 2-3 spots with a potential spot saved for internal candidate so it IS competitive. The number of endocrine training spots has not grown but the interest has.

I think publications take hard work but also luck. I've been lucky with my endeavors but have also worked my butt off, like everyone on this board i'm sure.

Of course if your personal statement reads I want to do clinical medicine and its a research program they will reject you. If you statement reads I want to do research and its primarily clinical they will prob reject you as well. I hope everyone gets a shot and acknowledge the plight of those with VISAs. I still haven't heard from a few places I now consider good fits but assume that most places are done sending out interviews?

Last edited:
Hmmm... Anyways I was expecting more IVs.. I think either endocrine is really very competitive or you must know somebody in program. All university programs and very few positions. I met couple of fellows in Houston ( endocrine society meeting) and they did not have any publication when they got fellowship but they knew somebody in program..whatever works!
Good luck guys! I think couple of you guys will definitely make it.

Hmmm... Anyways I was expecting more IVs.. I think either endocrine is really very competitive or you must know somebody in program. All university programs and very few positions. I met couple of fellows in Houston ( endocrine society meeting) and they did not have any publication when they got fellowship but they knew somebody in program..whatever works!
Good luck guys! I think couple of you guys will definitely make it.

well, fellowships have always been more about who you know (or more to the point who THEY know) that step scores or publications...its why your home program is usually your best bet and why being at a residency program that has an endo program helps...you get to meet people.

you contact those fellows you met? you never know they might be able to help...

Called few programs yesterday.... most of the programs are done sending interviews..few are still reviewing applications and will send interviews this week

Members don't see this ad :)
What about NY programs? I did not hear from ny and nj programs.. Did you call them ?

Called few programs yesterday.... most of the programs are done sending interviews..few are still reviewing applications and will send interviews this week

i do love how you keep saying that the programs are done with giving interviews...then you post hey! i got an interview at (insert program name).

i get the glass half empty thought process, but are you trying to share info or rain of people's parade?

i have had programs just download this week, so while i'm sure many programs have given out invites, there are probably others that are still in the process...

it would be helpful if you could tell us how you went form not matching the last cycle to getting so many interviews this cycle. did you increase the amount of endo research so your cards research wasn't so prominent? Did you talk to the programs that said no and did they give you suggestions on what to do to improve your app?

Wow, it appears endocrine has gotten super competitive this year. More people are applying from my program than anybody ever remembers. I am sure it is that way all over.

Looks like it is going to be another long day waiting and hoping!
I am going from my first iv in a week, I welcome any tips! What should I expect?

Anyone hear from Hopkins or NIH yet?

-Thanks

hows the location of ochsner clinic? does it hv a safe neighbourhood? i have never been to new orleans

Has anyone heard from any NYC programs, either invites or rejections?

Invitation from NIH! :thumbup:

It must be one of the largest as they can take up to 6/year.

Have you guys been getting interviews from your home programs? That may be a better way to tell if "all the interview slots were already given out", since usually as a courtesy programs interview their own residents.

I spoke with program corrdinator at Cornell- They won't be sending out interviews until the end of September.

I spoke with program corrdinator at Cornell- They won't be sending out interviews until the end of September.

Spoke with administrator for Gtown\WHC who said PD and Chairman were away so there is some delay. I'm not sure if they had already sent out their invitations... :confused: Anyone want to make the nice alphabetized group list?

Such programs can afford sending late invitations.... either program is super competitive or hv decided on internal candidates can send invitations so late

I got an email from JHU via ERAS asking about my MSPE. I did not upload it since I am an IMG and I was told an MSPE is usually not necessary for IMGs. Anyone else got this email? Not sure what I can do :(. It's probably too late to obtain MSPE.

Such programs can afford sending late invitations.... either program is super competitive or hv decided on internal candidates can send invitations so late

OR maybe the season isn't as over as you think it is...

this is the 1st time for this timeline...we don't really know what the process is going to be...

I got an email from JHU via ERAS asking about my MSPE. I did not upload it since I am an IMG and I was told an MSPE is usually not necessary for IMGs. Anyone else got this email? Not sure what I can do :(. It's probably too late to obtain MSPE.

depends on the school...if they send things electronically, it shouldn't take them too long to get it uploaded...i would call them and see if they can expedite it and then let JHU know the timeline for the MSPE (and who told you that? they lied to you...don't rely on uninformed info...if the programs state that or it is stated in the ERAS app, then that's fine, but ERAS stated that the MSPE didn't not have to come from the school, but the applicant can upload it).

Rejection UC Davis
Waiting list Emory. Kind of hopeless

UCLA said they will send invitation in 2 weeks and have interview in mid October.

Anyone have any info on OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences, Portland)?

The process of getting interview/rejectIon seems to be slowing down...uci said same thing...interviews Wl be send out this week...

Group Invites from:
Banner Good Sam (arizona)
BIDMC (Joslin\Harvard):
Brown
Duke
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
Loyola
Mayo
Medical college of Wisconsin
Nih
Northwestern
Ochsner Medical Center
tufts
Umdnj-Newark
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAb)
University of California, Davis (UC Davis)
University of California, Los Angelos (UCLA Harbor)
University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
University of Colorado (UC Denver)
University of Florida, Jacksonville
University of Kentucky
University of Maryland
University of Massachusetts (UMass)
University of Nebraska
University of Pittsburgh
University of Tennessee
UTMB Galveston
University of Texas Houston
University of Virginia (UVA)
University of Washington, Seattle
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Virginia Commonwealth University (MCV or VCU)
Washington University, St Louis (Wash U)

Group Rejections from:
BIDMC (Joslin\Harvard)
Cedar Sinai
Emory
Henry ford
Nebraska
Tulane
Uc Davis
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin
MGH
Yale

Didn't know banner good Sam sent out invites already...wow

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Reading some of the posts regarding which places has or has not sent invites has been helpful, so i'm going to add to the list.

I have interview invites from MGH, Brigham and Women's, BIDMC, U Penn, NIH
Still have not heard from Hopkins, Georgetown, and waiting on interviews from a few smaller places.

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! :thumbup::thumbup: Would you mind sharing your credentials?

Hi guys,
Reading some of the posts regarding which places has or has not sent invites has been helpful, so i'm going to add to the list.

I have interview invites from MGH, Brigham and Women's, BIDMC, U Penn, NIH
Still have not heard from Hopkins, Georgetown, and waiting on interviews from a few smaller places.

Good luck to everyone!

Interview at Johns Hopkins University, silence from DC schools

No interviews/rejections in last 5 days...i think my interview season is over...It's time to attend the interviews that i already have !!!!
I underlined "my" so that rokshana does not jump in !!!!! :D

Add to the list

Invitation: U of South Carolina
Howard University Hospital

Rejection: U of Michigan

New IV's
Loyola
Cleveland Clinic

No new rejections =)