Official 2012-2013 Endocrinology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
whats the advantage of doing 3 years vs 2 years in future?
i know about more time for research..but i dont understand the advantages.. 1 year of less salary!!!
i interviewd 3 year programs but i am leaning more towards 2 year programs which has dedicated time for research..hv seen on avg about 3 months each year for research in such programs..

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...I didnt know we can get tax deduction on those expenses !!!!!

whats the advantage of doing 3 years vs 2 years in future?
i know about more time for research..but i dont understand the advantages.. 1 year of less salary!!!
i interviewd 3 year programs but i am leaning more towards 2 year programs which has dedicated time for research..hv seen on avg about 3 months each year for research in such programs..

it depends...many of the 3 yr programs want you to get an NIH grant and do enough to actually make it possible...with an NIH grant under your belt, you will have no problem getting a faculty position...plus its very difficult to get good publication worthy research done in 3-6 months so having a dedicated yr year and a half for research makes that goal more realistic.

the 3 yr spots are more for those looking to become a clinical investigator...if more clinically oriented, then 2 yr programs should be enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
I was told that to be in an academic endocrinology position, I should do 3 years of fellowship training.
But I came across faculty who did their fellowship in a 2 year program and are now working in an academic institution. Also lot of fellows after finishing 3 year program are so tired that they join private hospitals.
I think I would like to go to a 2 year program and have a flexibility for applying for NIH grant for 3rd year if i wanted to.

Program Name: Mayo Clinic, rochester, MN

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: hotel provided- doubletree by hilton. used gorochester shuttle to travel from minneapolis to rochester. Its about 1.5 hour drive.

interview itinerary: orientation by PD then interviews, lunch with fellows in nearby restaurant, hospital tour in afternoon.

How many interviewers: 5

How many applicants: 5

Tour included visits to: hospital, endocrine clinic, gym

Questions asked: same old questions

happy fellows: yes / no / ? : hmmm...cant say...fellows liked the program.. but everyone hated location...some of them didnt like the dress code - which is wearing suit everyday. Fellows also complained that their spouses do get depressed there and only thing they do is to go to gym. they were tired of eating food in the same restaurants, which are few in number and located nearby the medical center.

research opportunities: yes / no / ? yes a lot

3 year research track? they only have 3 year program

visa sponsored? yes h1/j1

City: very isloated small city. population of 80,000.. the hospital is like an oasis in desert. you drive about 1.5 hours from minnepolis..there is nothing in between..only you see is farmland...and suddenly a big building appears which is mayo clinic.. fellows have to go to minneapolis for shopping.. nothing for recreation in the city..boring place to be.

Things I liked about the program: very organized curriculum.. rare clinical cases...great infrastructure and awesome faculty.

Things I disliked about the program: dress code, isolated town, mandatory 3 year track, "not being exposed to bread and butter cases as I want to" - one of the resident there.

Rate experience (0-10): 7

Conclusion: if you are looking for a solid 3 year program to prepare you for academic career, this is the program!!!!! only thing that can make a difference in the rank order list is the location. Talk to your spouse before submitting ROL :D

This thread is dead... I expected more interview experiences from the forum members.. But hey I finished my interviews. I cancelled others...Making ROL is so painful due to lot of variables...I know my top 3 but I dunno how to rank them..

Last edited:
hey, panipuri is right, why nobody is writing anymore?

i was hoping to gather some input regarding the feedback that programs are giving after the interview day.

i sent thank you notes but haven't heard anything back, i really like one program and want to be more aggressive but I really don't know how to

thanks

Very excited about tomorrow! Good luck everybody!

Got my first choice! Super-excited!

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. FIrst thanks all of you for posting informations. I am an old graduate finished residency 2007 and could not apply due to visa issues, am planning for endocrine fellowship for 2014 . Would like to know if anyone else is in same boat.
What the chances are. I have geographic limtation to NY and CT. Have 2 publications and am currently working as teaching attending for last 4 years.
Also can anyone guide me for steps for ERAS application, what I need to get ready from now? Long time I always found ERAS very complicated. Thanks in advance.