**Official 2007 Step 1 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Direct Laryngoscopy

Account on Hold
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I'm not taking it until June (6/15 to be exact), I know some people here will be taking it in the coming weeks and months. My booklist/plan include:
-1st Aid (2206)
-BRS physio
-Goljan Pathology
-CMMRS
-Q Bank
-goljan audio

These are my primary sources but will include others (lippincott biochem, high cell bio, etc) for clarification. I'm giving myself 6 weeks of preparation and will not be doing the kaplan class.

Lets get a roll call for all the MS2s out there who plan to go to war in the coming months:D

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in for early/mid-June. I have all the books I'll be using but am not planning on starting heavy-duty preparation until April-ish. School is enough work at the moment. :)

im in june as well :)

prob will be using:
FA
RR Pathology
HY Cell and Molecular Bio
MMRS
Qbank and maybe usmleworld
HY Neuro
something for biochem, havent figured it out yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't scheduled my testing date yet, but since we don't finish classes until the end of July, I think I'll schedule mine for the end of August. My booklist:

-FA 2007
-RR Path and Goljan audio
-RR Biochem
-Lippincott's Pharm
-HY Cell/Molec
-HY Neuro
-BRS Phys
-The Bible and LOTS of prayer

For review questions, I'm gonna use Webpath, Robbins, USMLERx, Qbook, and RR for the USMLE. I may also add USMLEWorld. I'm taking Boards Boot Camp (mainly for COMLEX). I haven't received much info from students on it, but our school paid for a big chunk of it so I though it would be nice to help motivate me to study. Also, I'll do the 4 NBME tests and maybe some of their shelf tests for specific subjects.

I don't know if anyone else would echo this sentiment, but, I took the test last year and have this bit of advice. Yes, go through FA a couple times, but spend a larger majority on BRS phys, Goljan Path, Cell and Molecular bio, Micro from Kaplan etc. I got through FA probably 7 times before I took the COMLEX and USMLE, but came out of the test thinking to myself that there is a whole lot of minutiae in FA. Time may be better spent with the above books and a couple runs through FA to 'refresh' from the other books.

hey, count me in. Probably mid-june for me.

Booklist for me: qbank,bss,goljan,usmleworld,qbook,appleton+lange,pretest

biochem-lippincott(love this book, easy to read, easy diagrams)
path-brs/rapid review
micro-ridiculously simple micro
pharm-will finish pharm before stepI
HY neuro,HY anatomy+embryo

Good luck guys!!:luck: :luck:

I'll be taking it this year also! What are you guys doing for micro? Are you reading the whole clinical micro made rid. simple book? or is first aid enough?

I'll be taking it this year also! What are you guys doing for micro? Are you reading the whole clinical micro made rid. simple book? or is first aid enough?

I'm using MMRS b/c it has great, stupid pics to help remember the bugs/drugs.

I'm going to take step 1 in June and I'm going to try to use both (First Aid and Ridiculously Easy) for microbiology.

hey y'all. writing in june. since im using kaplan books (not doing the course), i hope kaplan and FA is enough for Pharm, biochem, micro. Anyone disagree?

PS: anyone suggest HY neuro over Kaplan's neurology section?

06-07 Kaplan Lecture notes (4 volumes)
FA 07, FA cases
path - Goljan Notes, audio, BRS
UCV's
BRS physio

USMLERx on book (FA Q&A), Qbank, Robbins Review, Qbook.

Missing anything? Stress building up.. ai ai ai.

Mid June for me too :)

Sources
Kaplan Qbank (use it as qtn bank for studying for class exams)
USMLEworld
FA 2007
Goljan RR path 2nd ed and audio(started listening last yr)
Clinical Micro MRS (already been thru most of this book in depth for the big bugs for class)
BRS physio
PASS prog dvds (started watching along with class)
HY Cell/Mol
HY Neuro
Lippincott Biochem (I can barely remember biochem need to review it), actually scratch using kaplan biochem instead
Robbins Q book (path)
Katzung review for pharm (going thru drugs in class already)

Schl is pbl, we took all basic sciences 1st yr.

Hoping for early June, but I haven't registered yet:

Kaplan Home Study Series
FA
Q-Book
Q-Bank
Micro, Neuro AND Acids, Bases, and Electrolytes Made Ridiculously simple

mid june for me too.

sources are similar to lotana - except add kaplan biochem, take away lippincott

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in.
I've got a date picked out. June 21st. :D (not official yet.)

Material wise, I'm thinking:
Robbins Review Path
BRS Path
BRS Physio
BRS Neuroanatomy
BRS Biochem
BRS Behaivoral
Lippencott's Pharm
Class Notes for Pharm
Rapid Review Micro
Kaplan Qbank and review books
and I suppose FA.

I think all in all, thats overkill and I doubt I will get through all of that. For sure, I want to get through all of the BRS material. I've really gravitated towards BRS format, I think its probably great for some people but not others.

jus double checking:

when you guys are talking about kaplan biochem, is it the new version? the one called Book 1, general principles (1/4 volume) or is it the separate book jus for biochem (from year or two back).

is the new one adequate with FA?

count me in for this summer both usmle & comlex.

I won't be using the commercial qbanks much, just old school concept based studying and I expect a successful outcome.

Havent set a date yet, but most likely will be taking it in mid to late July
Here is my plan (thus far)

BRS Path 2X
BRS Phys 2X
Fill in First Aid second time around

High Yield Cell and Molecular Biology
USMLE Road Map Gross Anatomy-charts and reveiw questions only
Microbiology Rediculously Simple-charts only
Lippincotts pharm (browse through with each organ system)
Pharm Cards- for on the go
Lippincotts biochem- as needed

Once through Kaplan Organ System Books in the following sections:
GI
Endocrine
Reproduction
Cardiovascular
Respiratory
Renal
Lymph-Heme
Nervous System
Biochemistry
Behavioral Sci
US Healthcare
Biostatistics
Embryology

I plan on using the Kaplan books, but because it takes me about 1 hour to get through ~10 pages I plan on reading 1st aid for each section then skimming through for points I don't understand in Kaplan from the above sections and for the following sections only as needed:

Micro-Charts only
Musculoskel (as needed)
Pharm (as needed)
Immuno (as needed)
Cell Bio/Genetics (as needed)

Wish me luck-

First Aid 2007
BRS phys
RR path/goljan lectures
kaplan biochem/lippincott
CMMRS
high yield cell and molec
high yield neuro
high yield behavioral sci

i fi get around to it:
high yield biostats
high yield gross
high yield embryo
high yield immuno

First Aid (2006)
BRS Physio
BRS Pathology and/or RR Pathology (not sure yet)
CMMRS
Lange pharmacology cards
HY Gross Anatomy
HY Neuroanatomy
HY Histology
HY Biostats
HY Embryology
BRS Micro/Immuno (immunology section only)
BRS Behavioral Science
BRS Biochemistry
BRS Cell Bio

My booklist is as follows:

Pathology: BRS Path, RR Path, Goljan Audio
Physiology: BRS Physio (maybe some kaplan physio)
Pharm: First Aid
Biochemistry: HY molecular and cell bio + Kaplan Biochem
Neuroanatomy: HY neuro
BS: Kaplan BS
Histology: HY histo
Anatomy+embro: HY for both and FA
Micro and Immuno: Kaplan Micro + Immuno

All of the above will be coupled with IV qbank and qbank. IV qbank until my semester classes end and then regular qbank until i am done.

Been using most of these through the year (Main, BRS books and questions)

First Aid 2006
BRS Path/Goljan Audio
BRS Physio
BRS Biochem
HY Histo (really like this book)
HY Anatomy
HY Embryo (maybe, maybe not on this one).
HY Biostat "high yield" section
Microcards
Robbins Review Questions
Qbank

Started reviewing during winter break on that schedule I posted a few days ago.

Maybe im alone here but i think im gonna limit my sources and try to know them well:

First Aid
RR Path + audio
BRS phys
USMLEworld
Maybe a little MMRS and kaplan Biochem

Guys, while we are on UW, anybody has heard anything about the quality of questions and can it be used as the only question source in addition to FA and RR ( i.e. if we dont use anything from Kaplan), since previously paople atleast covered Kapln either in the Kaplan notes form and QBank or atleast Qbank alone?

Guys, while we are on UW, anybody has heard anything about the quality of questions and can it be used as the only question source in addition to FA and RR ( i.e. if we dont use anything from Kaplan), since previously paople atleast covered Kapln either in the Kaplan notes form and QBank or atleast Qbank alone?
I have heard limited feedback on it..but what I have heard has been very positive. I'm assuming that b/c they have dominated for so long on Step 2 (according to older students and brief readings on here) that they simply adopted the highly clinical/reasoning style questions to step 1 material.

I'm not totally going w/o Kaplan (I'm using Qbook) but the more "thinking" questions the better IMO.

Maybe im alone here but i think im gonna limit my sources and try to know them well:

First Aid
RR Path + audio
BRS phys
USMLEworld
Maybe a little MMRS and kaplan Biochem

What do you think of this:

FA

No- I have been seriously thining about doing FA and only using the other books for clarification... the thought of reading every book freaks me out...

Heres what I'm thinking

week 1 BRS Phys, and Path, high yield Molecular Bio, and/or Goljan
(no notetaking just reading through)
week 2+3 -30 p a day in FA- slow- reading for clarification and filling in notes
week 4 FA and 1/3 of Q bank
week 5 FA and 2/3 of Q bank

I really think FA is enough, and I feel like that is all I can really learn anyway...

I'll share my 2 cents, for what its worth. i just took the test today.

All i have to say is, you gotta read fast, and think fast, at 1 minute per question, cuz there are gonna be a few questions in each block that will take up that extra 10 minutes you're supposed to have left over.

i was hoping that questions would be 2-3 lines. But i got quite a lot of paragraph length questions with labs and ****, 50% i would say. You can't just read word for word. you gotta pick out the key words davinci code style.

a sh*tload of questions started with "The patient has shortness of breath", i swear. it was nuts.

Like everyone says, you gotta know First Aid inside out, to the point where hearing a word will trigger a mental image of the specific page number and paragraph (and image/diagram!!) in FA. Step 1 tests everything in FA. Most of the questions make you say "yeah, i saw that in FA somewhere. ****, where was it again.. ".

And for the pharm section, the question styles were like, "if the pt is taking this drug, which drug do you not give him, or what do you watch out for..."
Kinda tricky for me because I forgot most of the damn interactions and contraindications.

Books:
I only used one review book per subject during the school years. ranged from HY to BRS. and Lange for micro and pharm, which i read halfassed for both. I spent 80% of my total study time reading FA over and over and over, cuz you can't know FA cold enough, no matter how hard you try; photographic people excluded.

The last 2 things i touched before the test were FA and my BRS Path notes. There's so much random **** in FA that will give you bonus points at the last minute. You'd be stupid to be flipping through review books at the last minute.
One example of random **** is the 4-4-9 carb/protein/fat calories factoid. I got two questions on this ****, and i'm glad i read it in FA, cuz i totally forgot about it till 1 week ago.
Another random **** was the interleukins "hot like a t bone stEAk" mnemonic. One question asked about all that plus IL-8, which was not in FA, but you could eliminate all the rest that were in FA.

Overall, the questions were just like the NBME forms, except that the real thing has more lengthy questions with the junk interspersed in the paragraph.

I'll be taking it late June/early July. Has anyone heard anything about Usmleworld's Qbank being better than Kaplan's?

Does anyone know how to translate the percent score on these NBME forms (the downloaded ones, not the ones that you pay for at the nbme site) to Step I three digit score? I am wondering if I should just pay for them at the nbme site to get a three digit step I score rather than save money and try to do the questions from the pdfs that are floating around. Please advise. Thanks

Does anyone know how to translate the percent score on these NBME forms (the downloaded ones, not the ones that you pay for at the nbme site) to Step I three digit score? I am wondering if I should just pay for them at the nbme site to get a three digit step I score rather than save money and try to do the questions from the pdfs that are floating around. Please advise. Thanks

I am also wondering how the real NBME exams work. Do you get a detailed breakdown of your score to see what questions you get right, and what questions you get wrong? After you complete the exam (either self paced or timed) are you able to access the exam to study the questions?

I remember with emcat.com, you could go back to the exams to study the questions after you had taken the exam. Is there any time limit to this? Can I take the exam one day, then review it the next day?

Hey guys,

I'm taking the test in late May, and this is the first time I'm actually starting to think about strategies for studying....so my list of books that I have in mind for using is very preliminary:

Main study materials:
Kaplan Organ System Review books (the 4 black books)
FA 2006
QBank
Goljan Path Audio

Supplemental:
BRS Phys, Cell Bio, Behavioral, Neuro
Lippincotts Biochem
HY Embryo

Basically, my supplemental material will be looked at for clarification.

Does anyone feel like the Kaplan review books will be enough? I like the idea that it covers most subjects, and its all in only those 4 books, so I won't have to carry 10 books with me everywhere, but has anyone used those books mainly to study from? Any pro's and con's about using those books would be cool, and any feedback would be great, thanks guys

Here is the link to all NBME forms. If you find the answers anywhere, please post them or send them to me. Also, look for the key to translate the score you get on these to a three digit step I score. Good Luck!

So far I have gone through:
Rapid Review Pathology- 1.5 times, going through it again
BRS Physiology
Kaplan Anatomy/Neuro/Embryology and Webprep lectures
Kaplan Biochem and Genetics twice
MMRS, Microcards, and BRS Micro cards
Kaplan Immunology
First Aid throughout
Rapid Review Pharmacology-new one (it sucked), Pharmcards (for the 3rd time), and the BRS Pharmcards
HY- Neuroanatomy, some Embryology, and some Gross for the pictures
I have 4 weeks left and I will go through
HY Cell and Molecular
HY Histology
Rapid Review Path 1.5 X more
BRS Physiology again
UCV Microbiology and Biochemistry (maybe)
First Aid right before exam
HY Behavioral Science
Lange Pharm Cards
MMRS again and the Microcards again
For questions I am almost done with USMLERx, will finish Qbank, have done most of Robbins questions, and the NBME exams.
I am also listening to the Goljan lectures while I drive anywhere and exercise.
I am doing about 9-10 hours a day 6 days/week for 9 weeks. I am shooting for a high score.....

So far I have gone through:
Rapid Review Pathology- 1.5 times, going through it again
BRS Physiology
Kaplan Anatomy/Neuro/Embryology and Webprep lectures
Kaplan Biochem and Genetics twice
MMRS, Microcards, and BRS Micro cards
Kaplan Immunology
First Aid throughout
Rapid Review Pharmacology-new one (it sucked), Pharmcards (for the 3rd time), and the BRS Pharmcards
HY- Neuroanatomy, some Embryology, and some Gross for the pictures
I have 4 weeks left and I will go through
HY Cell and Molecular
HY Histology
Rapid Review Path 1.5 X more
BRS Physiology again
UCV Microbiology and Biochemistry (maybe)
First Aid right before exam
HY Behavioral Science
Lange Pharm Cards
MMRS again and the Microcards again
For questions I am almost done with USMLERx, will finish Qbank, have done most of Robbins questions, and the NBME exams.
I am also listening to the Goljan lectures while I drive anywhere and exercise.
I am doing about 9-10 hours a day 6 days/week for 9 weeks. I am shooting for a high score.....

Make sure to charge your batteries and oil your gears before the exam, you sound like a robot!

M2 here as well.
I'm going to try to sit for the Step 1 as late as I can. Sadly that means about mid to end of June. I've got 18-20 weeks, including a week for midterms at the end of February and a week for finals in April.

My sources and times I'd like to cover them:
Kaplan 4 volume set x2
Lippincott's Biochemistry x1
Lippincott's Pharmacology x1
Lippincott's Microbiology x1
Costanza Physiology x1
BRS Physiology x quickie review
BRS Pathology x quickie review
BRS Neuroanatomy x quickie review
BRS Anatomy x quickie review
Netter's Anatomy x reference
Big Robbins x reference
Robbins Review x2
First Aid 2005 x a gajillion billion trillion...
LWW Pharm cards x on the go
LWW Path cards x on the go
LWW Micro cards x on the go
Goljan Path Audio x on the go
QBank x2
QBook x2

For me repetition is key. I can usually figure out the clinical questions but putting the facts in my head, and keeping them there, is the hard part.

Good luck to all. 240+ all around hopefully.

Suggestions about better texts would be appreciated!

Taking Step 1 in late June:

FA--> Done 1x with notes penned in from classes, UW, etc. Will go 2 more x's
CMMRS--> Now reading
RR Biochem--> Done with it, will go over stuff I marked 1-2x
RR Path + Audios (Goljan and Barone)
HY Mole, Neuro
Kaplan Neuro videos
Class notes, charts and Big Bad Daddy Robbins as needed

Questions (50-100 daily):
UWorld
Robbin's Review
Bootlegs
BSS
NBMEs

Oh, and I also have Step-Up and FA Cases that I read on the now and then.

I see Goljan on most people's list of to do's (big surprise!) I used his new book that came out in November so if anyone is like me and needs full sentences along with pictures, then the book is a great thing to follow along with audio. It has a lot of pages but the book is small and has huge margins where important "must knows" are summarized so it's not too bad.

Thou shalt love thy Goljans:

w73096441.jpg

Thou shalt love thy Goljans:

w73096441.jpg
First of all, that G PAC is off da chain.
2nd I too will engage in fearless battle with the Dr. Evil Step Onester in mid June. I am planning to go through all of the Kaplan books (including the newly added Physio and Behavioral). I love Robbins, but it takes me about an hour to read 10 pages so by the time I take the Kaplan course (May) I plan to have weaned off of that breast and fully devoted to G-PAC (audio, notes, and text). I also have lippincott's pharm and biochem, and 2007 FA....all that and a butt-load of questions! I haven't heard much reference to how much histology is represented on the exam....anyone know????