NYU vs Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeCzar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding between these two schools. I like both cities. Both have great hospitals. Cost isn't an option. My quality of life would probably be a little better in Miami, but NYU has an great reputation and, even though I know I shouldn't take it into account, NYU matches lots of people to amazing places. Can anyone comment on these two schools? A lot of my decision is based upon the assumption that NYU would give me greater opportunities to match into a competitive residency, however, I'm not sure if I should be making this assumption.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

If cost isn't an issue and no strong location preference, NYU without a doubt.

As an NYU waitlistee -- I think you should matriculate at Miami :D

To answer your question -- yes, NYU's match list is much better -- but how much of it is caliber of students and how much of it is the prestige? If you want to match in NYC, its clear that NYU is the way to go. Best of luck on your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU will open doors. UM is having some major financial troubles with its hospital, Jackson. Recently I read about them letting go of about 400 doctors and nurses (ill find the article). Also look into the academics (UM is NOT on a P/F system). I go to UM and although I love living here, if It were me I would bolt to NYU.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time deciding between these two schools. I like both cities. Both have great hospitals. Cost isn't an option. My quality of life would probably be a little better in Miami, but NYU has an great reputation and, even though I know I shouldn't take it into account, NYU matches lots of people to amazing places. Can anyone comment on these two schools? A lot of my decision is based upon the assumption that NYU would give me greater opportunities to match into a competitive residency, however, I'm not sure if I should be making this assumption.

Thanks for any input.

If cost is not an issue and you think the curriculum and stuff is equal in your eyes and you could do well in NYU with however their curriculum is, then I'd go to NYU. I'm actually sad to be leaving the north. I feel like living in a place like NY or Boston for a few years would be kinda awesome for medical training as they are two of the premiere cities for medical training and research not just due to their own schools but proximity to other major medical schools in their cities. So that opens doors in terms of developing research connections and connections to other schools for off site rotations in say 4th year and getting to know those people by making connections etc.

But if cost is a huge issue then go with the place that will give the least amount of debt.

If you think NYC is an overwhelming city might want to reconsider NYC. Some people I know would. I know I found that sort of atmosphere a little overwhelming at first in London though I think that was cuz my cousin walks wayyyyyyyyyy too fast and so I was having a hard time keeping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.