NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
singh0113 said:
You're awesome! :laugh: Is there anything you won't sell?

My dignity. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey where do we send our undergrad transcripts? the admissions office? I forgot to copy that form of everything we have to do before registration, is there anything else besides vaccinations and the transcript?

Is there some sort of website for us to chat on besides this one? most schools i know have sites for students, do we not have such a site?

FenderHM said:
Hey where do we send our undergrad transcripts? the admissions office? I forgot to copy that form of everything we have to do before registration, is there anything else besides vaccinations and the transcript?

Is there some sort of website for us to chat on besides this one? most schools i know have sites for students, do we not have such a site?

Crap, thanks for reminding me about the transcripts... what if we've been out of school for a while and haven't had a change to our transcripts since AMCAS was submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
whats a normal day like at NYMC? When do classes usually start/end? anyone want to be my facebook friend?

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?id=404130&l=e4a044c6ca>Facebook me!

FenderHM said:
whats a normal day like at NYMC? When do classes usually start/end?

The first block first year is probably the most time consuming (as well as the most difficult for most people). It is Anatomy and Cell Bio/Histology. Typically, classes will begin at 9 in the AM, and run until anywhere from 3 to 5 in the PM. One hour lunch break at 12 PM. However, of all of these hours, only about 3 hours are you actually required to attend (either anatomy or histology lab). Of course, you should start off attending everything, required or not, then decide from there whether lectures are your thang or not.

During this first block, plan on spending many a late nights with your cadaver in the anatomy lab. :)

getting more excited. just received the registrars email with all that info. :D

Oh, was wondering if anyone else had to deal with Isabel from the financial aid office. I had some stuff wrong with my fafsa, and called her to talk about it. Oh boy, was she mean :scared: . But maybe its just because she has to deal with all the students, or maybe just this idiotic one. :laugh:

Here is a little bit of useful info for you soon to be first years. I'm working on orientation staff, so I got a copy of what you guys are doing. Of course this is subject to change but this is the tentative schedule.

NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE
Class of 2010 ORIENTATION
July 29-August 4, 2006

Saturday, July 29, 2006
10:00A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Check-In

Sunday, July 30, 2006
10:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Check-In
5:00 P.M.- 7:00 P. M.
Class of 2010 Welcome BBQ

Monday, July 31, 2006
9:00A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
Registration
Free Breakfast
LUNCH ON YOUR OWN

2:00 P.M.- 3:30 P.M.
Community Vendor Day
(which includes Banks available to open checking and savings accounts, Sam’s Club Military Recruiters for Military Scholarships,NYMC Doc’s Café card signup, NYMC bookstore)

3:30 P.M. – 7:00 P.M.
FREE TIME

7:00 P.M. – 11:00P.M.
THIRSTY TURTLE PUB SOCIAL EVENT (open bar)

Tuesday, August 1, 2006
8:00 A.M. – 8:45 A.M.
Free Breakfast

9:00 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.
WELCOME BY Senior Faculty and Administration

10:45 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
FORTY MINUTE ROTATIONS in smaller groups for
1.) Computer Orientation and Required Coursework

2.) Library Services

3.) Module Talk and Scribe Service

1:00 P.M. – 2:30 P.M.
LUNCH ON YOUR OWN

2:30 P.M.– 3:00 P.M.
Student Financial Budget Program

3:00 P.M.– 3:30 P.M.
Introduction to the Student Scribe Service

3:30 P.M.– 5:00 P.M.
Introduction to Primary Care Course

5:30 P.M.– 7:30 P.M.
Dean’s Welcome BBQ/Dinner

Wednesday, August 2, 2006
8:00 A.M.– 8:45 A.M.
The President’s Class of 2010 Breakfast

9:00 A.M.– 10:00 A.M.
Professional Conduct and the Meaning of Being a Physician

10:00 A.M– 10:30 A.M.
On-Line Course Evaluations
Housing
Tour Guides and Overnight Hosts Program
Security
Facilities Management
University Bursar
Student Insurance Update

10:30 A.M .to 11:00 A.M.
BREAK

11:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
Sexual Harassment

12:00 P.M. to 1:00 P.M.
Mind and Body Wellness During Medical School

1:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Lunch on Your Own and Free Time

6:30 to 10:30 P.M.
DINNER CRUISE AROUND MANHATTAN
-- THIS is the best thing in orientation, everyone should go on it, its top shelf alcohol to, its excellent

Thursday, August 3, 2006
Breakfast On Your Own

9:30 A.M.-11 A.M.
Introduction to Gross Anatomy and Histology Courses

11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
Campus Security and Safety Presentation

12:00 P.M.- 2:00 P.M.
LUNCH ON YOUR OWN

2:00 P.M.– 5:00 P.M.
CPR Lectures American Heart Association

5:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.
FREE TIME

6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
Student Life Taco Dinner

Friday, August 4, 2006
Breakfast on your own

8:00 A.M. - 11:30 A.M.
CPR Practical Modules (just a side note, you guys take the exam as a group so its impossible to fail as long as you attend.)

11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
Lunch Presentation
Presentation of the MD/MPH Dual Degree Program
Presentation of the MD/Ph.D. Dual Degree Program

1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Environmental Safety (most boring 3 hours of your life)

Evening Free Time

SuferMD said:
getting more excited. just received the registrars email with all that info. :D

Oh, was wondering if anyone else had to deal with Isabel from the financial aid office. I had some stuff wrong with my fafsa, and called her to talk about it. Oh boy, was she mean :scared: . But maybe its just because she has to deal with all the students, or maybe just this idiotic one. :laugh:
I had the same thing happen to me, and I didnt finalize the corrections the first time around... :oops:

boyz of 4d said:
11:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
Sexual Harassment
Does this mean that we are harassed or that we get to harass or get training to prevent sexual harassment????

Hey,
quick question- what is involved in the second step of financial aid. I will be away for a good portion of july, and I want to make all the arrangements neccesary to move on with financial aid. Is is all online? or do we have to sign things ect.
see you soon!
thanks

It's good to know that I wasn't the only one to mess up on my FAFSA forms :laugh:

Yeah I messed mine up too. Anyone get their fixed fafsa verified yet?

I'm getting really excited to meet you all!

FenderHM said:
Yeah I messed mine up too. Anyone get their fixed fafsa verified yet?

I'm getting really excited to meet you all!

It takes a business week to get from the FAFSA site to to Isabella's desk.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received their financial aid package or the step 2 part? Anyone heard anything back from housing?

Coquillage said:
has anyone received their financial aid package or the step 2 part? Anyone heard anything back from housing?
Not a peep on either...

Did they contact you guys about the things that were incorrect on your FASFA forms? I called financial aid about a week after I sent everything in to make sure they had all the forms/information they needed and have not heard a word from them since.

On a side note though...after reading the tentative orientation schedule it sounds like we will all have a lot of fun! :D I'm getting excited...I just have to make it through one "real" week of work and then all I have to do is enjoy the rest of the summer until we start.

Caligirl98 said:
Did they contact you guys about the things that were incorrect on your FASFA forms? I called financial aid about a week after I sent everything in to make sure they had all the forms/information they needed and have not heard a word from them since.

On a side note though...after reading the tentative orientation schedule it sounds like we will all have a lot of fun! :D I'm getting excited...I just have to make it through one "real" week of work and then all I have to do is enjoy the rest of the summer until we start.
Isabella emailed me when there were errors...twice

I've got 4 weeks of work left to train my replacement, which is kind of weird

LJDHC05 said:
Does this mean that we are harassed or that we get to harass or get training to prevent sexual harassment????

:laugh:

are there any international students accepted for this year? I want to apply but i wanted to know if nymc requires 4 years of tuition before issuing an I-20. Thanks

thanks for all the info on the orientation BOYZ...
about the transcripts...i confirmed that even if you've been out of school for a while, the school still needs official transcripts sent directly to em.

thanks for the schedule. are s/o's invited to anything like the cruise or bbq?

Coquillage said:
thanks for the schedule. are s/o's invited to anything like the cruise or bbq?

Yes, from what I remember, significant others are invited to all the social functions.

It seems like SO long ago that I did orientation at NYMC...eight, in fact.

Does anyone know the difference between need based and merit based scholarships at NYMC? Is there there an amount difference between need based and merit based scholarships? Are there different levels of merit based and need based scholarships all having different amounts? Is it possible for a student who was accepted off the waitlist to receive a merit based scholarship? Does anyone know the requirements of a merit based and need based scholarship? Do you have to apply for either scholarship?

Hey, just found this thread and thought I would say a few lines. I have been accepted at NYMC and am excited to be attending medical school in the NE. I graduated from Reed College in 04 and have been working in research for the past two years.

I will be living off campus with my s/o and am thinking of white plains. PM me if anyone has any good leads on housing either in WP or in another area.

Lastly, I had a strange thing happen a few weeks ago and thought I would see if I could tie up the loose end. I was serving on Jury Duty at the San Francisco superior court and, while excusing myself from a 10 day trial that I couldn't possibly sit on, I found that another NYMC class of 2010 student was in the audiance. Small world. We shook hands and were talking for a minute when the judge piped in and reminded us that this is a court room. I was mortified and left without getting the student's name. Anyhow if this sounds familiar, pm me.

I also had a bad experience with Isabel on the phone :I

I should come clean and say that I am waitlisted at OHSU and may go there if I make it off the list. What do you all think of NYMC vs OHSU?

worried05 said:
Does anyone know the difference between need based and merit based scholarships at NYMC? Is there there an amount difference between need based and merit based scholarships? Are there different levels of merit based and need based scholarships all having different amounts? Is it possible for a student who was accepted off the waitlist to receive a merit based scholarship? Does anyone know the requirements of a merit based and need based scholarship? Do you have to apply for either scholarship?

that my friend, i dont think would be general studnet body knowledge, unless you're one of the fortunate ones that actually gets a scholarship.

i'd say you'll have to ask the school directly, but by all means, please let us know if you find out. cuz i want to know too....

Furious A said:
Hey, just found this thread and thought I would say a few lines. I have been accepted at NYMC and am excited to be attending medical school in the NE. I graduated from Reed College in 04 and have been working in research for the past two years.

I will be living off campus with my s/o and am thinking of white plains. PM me if anyone has any good leads on housing either in WP or in another area.

Lastly, I had a strange thing happen a few weeks ago and thought I would see if I could tie up the loose end. I was serving on Jury Duty at the San Francisco superior court and, while excusing myself from a 10 day trial that I couldn't possibly sit on, I found that another NYMC class of 2010 student was in the audiance. Small world. We shook hands and were talking for a minute when the judge piped in and reminded us that this is a court room. I was mortified and left without getting the student's name. Anyhow if this sounds familiar, pm me.

I also had a bad experience with Isabel on the phone :I

this one i'll have to say, find it yourself. it has been discussed and discussed. if you actually read the thread, rather than ask, you'd find out.

or bono take it away?

anyone interested? Its really close like 3 miles from campus I think in Tarrytown, rent is $1700 /3 = less than $600 a month for our own house!

small three bedroom house, living room, kitchen, full bath,basement washer/dryer,the bedrooms are small, house is in good condition and clean.parking on property.call Angela 914 329-6577 Tenant pays rent and utilities

Benedict at Rt. 119

I got my financial aid award email today from the financial aid office. It's a little scary how 6 easy clicks of the mouse later I am suddenly almost $60K in debt! :eek:

Caligirl98 said:
I got my financial aid award email today from the financial aid office. It's a little scary how 6 easy clicks of the mouse later I am suddenly almost $60K in debt! :eek:

If only everything else about the process was as easy :p

Nobody is interested in off-campus housing? I guess I'll have to bite the bullet soon and send in the housing app... seriously, tho, there are a lot of inexpensive 2 and 3 bedrooms in White Plains, you can find them on craig's list, more restaurants, bars, coffee houses, and close to NYMC!

FenderHM said:
Nobody is interested in off-campus housing? I guess I'll have to bite the bullet soon and send in the housing app... seriously, tho, there are a lot of inexpensive 2 and 3 bedrooms in White Plains, you can find them on craig's list, more restaurants, bars, coffee houses, and close to NYMC!

Hmmm. But consider this. On campus housing is pretty cheap, full kitchen and all that crap. Plus, you are literally a 4 minute walk to class. A 5 minute walk to Westchester Medical Center. Your first two years, you're pretty much gonna be locked inside campus, be it late night sessions in the anatomy lab or all-nighters in the mods by yourself or in a group or what-have-you. Sure, there are students who commute. But, I honestly can't see how for a SINGLE dude or dudette on campus housing wouldn't be first choice. Walter and his maintenance crew are always quick to respond, plus you have 24 hour security, a tiny gym a minute walk away, plus a level 3 sex offender homeless shelter and a correctional facility not too far in the distance! What is there not to love about living on campus?!

FenderHM said:
Sorry bro, I'm looking to stick on campus for the first year because I don't know the area at all and it seems like the only real way to meet people at NYMC. Next year though, I'm looking to get off campus so I can bring my dog out and rescue her from the evil clutches of my parents/brother who will ruin all of the training I've done with her.

bonovox said:
Hmmm. But consider this. On campus housing is pretty cheap, full kitchen and all that crap. Plus, you are literally a 4 minute walk to class. A 5 minute walk to Westchester Medical Center. Your first two years, you're pretty much gonna be locked inside campus, be it late night sessions in the anatomy lab or all-nighters in the mods by yourself or in a group or what-have-you. Sure, there are students who commute. But, I honestly can't see how for a SINGLE dude or dudette on campus housing wouldn't be first choice. Walter and his maintenance crew are always quick to respond, plus you have 24 hour security, a tiny gym a minute walk away, plus a level 3 sex offender homeless shelter and a correctional facility not too far in the distance! What is there not to love about living on campus?!

I especially enjoyed the fire drills in the wee early morning, or late at night by drunk med students!

nymcstudent said:
I especially enjoyed the fire drills in the wee early morning, or late at night by drunk med students!

Someone care to explain to me my Notice of Award Eligibility? Everything is a loan. How would one know if they got an institutional grant (which it appears I didn't)?

What is the definition of "Institutional funds"? Is it the loans I see, or grants that I didn't.

Thanks. Obviously I will be calling the office for further information, but any help from you guys is appreciated.

VanillaIcee said:
Someone care to explain to me my Notice of Award Eligibility? Everything is a loan. How would one know if they got an institutional grant (which it appears I didn't)?

What is the definition of "Institutional funds"? Is it the loans I see, or grants that I didn't.

Thanks. Obviously I will be calling the office for further information, but any help from you guys is appreciated.

Institutional funds= Anything that isnt Stafford or T.H.E. Private loan.
So that includes the NYMC loan, the federal Perkins loan or any grants that you probably dont have. The institutional funds are low interest loans.

Yeah...it didn't feel good to suddenly be 60k in the hole in a matter of 45 seconds.

LJDHC05 said:
Institutional funds= Anything that isnt Stafford or T.H.E. Private loan.
So that includes the NYMC loan, the federal Perkins loan or any grants that you probably dont have. The institutional funds are low interest loans.

Yeah...it didn't feel good to suddenly be 60k in the hole in a matter of 45 seconds.

Thanks. So let me get this straight... they say that a student that must "borrow a combined unit loan of at least $37,800 will be considered for Institutional funds". Then they give an example of a student who "must be borrowing a full Subsidized Stafford Loan of $8,500 and Unsubsidized Stafford of $29,300". Check and check (they actually offered me quite a larger unsubsidized stafford).

So what do I have to do to be eligible for a need-based grant. Is it just too late for them? Did anyone get a scholarship that was need-based? It sounds like they don't have any... is this correct? I already have a large amount of debt from a post-bacc program and undergrad, and my parents contributed nothing.

I mean I thought I might not get anything but was hoping. Wow, this sucks. Should I atleast write them a letter?

PS: What is this NYMC loan? It's better than an unsubsidized stafford?

FYI I called today since I hadn't received anything yet. The packages go out by last name, so they're on "M". They are hoping to be through by next week. Anyways I was freeking out since others already got theirs but it's because I'm at the end of the alphabet.

I also find it hilarious randhail. It takes a whole year to apply to med school and 10 seconds to borrow the money. lol.

VanillaIcee said:
So what do I have to do to be eligible for a need-based grant. Is it just too late for them? Did anyone get a scholarship that was need-based? It sounds like they don't have any... is this correct? I already have a large amount of debt from a post-bacc program and undergrad, and my parents contributed nothing.
QUOTE]

But according to your FAFSA was there an amount that your parents' "could" give? That might have affected how "needy" you look.
I don't get why we have to give our parents' info on the FAFSA even if we've been independent from them and filed our own taxes. Just because according to some government calculation my parents can give a certain amount, doesn't mean they or I want them to.

VanillaIcee said:
QUOTE]

But according to your FAFSA was there an amount that your parents' "could" give? That might have affected how "needy" you look.
I don't get why we have to give our parents' info on the FAFSA even if we've been independent from them and filed our own taxes. Just because according to some government calculation my parents can give a certain amount, doesn't mean they or I want them to. this process sucks

VanillaIcee said:
Thanks. So let me get this straight... they say that a student that must "borrow a combined unit loan of at least $37,800 will be considered for Institutional funds". Then they give an example of a student who "must be borrowing a full Subsidized Stafford Loan of $8,500 and Unsubsidized Stafford of $29,300". Check and check (they actually offered me quite a larger unsubsidized stafford).

I mean I thought I might not get anything but was hoping. Wow, this sucks. Should I atleast write them a letter?

PS: What is this NYMC loan? It's better than an unsubsidized stafford?
So I'll start at the begining. FAFSA basically analyzes your family's income to determine if you need help paying for school. "need based" and instutional funds are handed out according where your parents income falls in relation to the rest of the class. Need based funds differ from stafford and private loans because they have lower interest rates and sometime different terms that make them cost you less in the repayment phase of the loan.

Federal Stafford loans are offered to all medical school matriculants as a lower cost alternative to private loans. The Subsidized Stafford, (meaning that the interest is subsidized by the government during school) caps off at 8500 per year. The Unsubsidized Stafford accrues interest while you're in school and caps out at 34,500. The staffords interest rates are currently fixed at 6.8% (as of July 1)...but I dont know if we fall under the 2005 rates.

THE private loans have variable interest rates that depend on the economy (T-bill plus 1.5% or something like that) so they fluctuate and accrue interest during school...

Hope that helps some

I just received my bill today in the mail, along with health and dental insurance plans. This is the largest bill I have ever seen. It's scary. $21,035...... :scared:

sup fellas. might as well chime in on this thread since i will be a fellow NYMC classmate soon. and i have a question as well lol.....

i posted a similar thread on the pre-allo forum, but i suppose its better to discuss this topic with ppl that might actually know. so im from CA, and im trying to decide whether i should ship my car to NY or not. i know there are other options (such as buying a piece-of-shtt-car when i get out there, or relying on other ppl for rides like a bum), but id much rather take my car with me. its not a fancy car or anything like that, but im attached to it and im afraid my parents will sell it when im away.

couple issues/questions with shipping the car: 1) whats up wit auto insurance in NY if your vehicle is registered in CA? do i have to re-register my car in NY and change my plates in order to get coverage out there? 2) does the weather/snow really mess up your car that much, as ive heard from other ppl? i should only have it out there for a couple years, and then ill probably drive it back to CA after 2nd year (before starting rotations in the city). is my car gonna be hurtin with all that salt/snow going on in the winter?

thx for the feedback. see yall in a few weeks.

-dl

BTW.....if there are any soon-to-be-3rd-years that are selling their cars, please PM me and let me know whats up. thx.

twoACES said:
sup fellas. might as well chime in on this thread since i will be a fellow NYMC classmate soon. and i have a question as well lol.....

i posted a similar thread on the pre-allo forum, but i suppose its better to discuss this topic with ppl that might actually know. so im from CA, and im trying to decide whether i should ship my car to NY or not. i know there are other options (such as buying a piece-of-shtt-car when i get out there, or relying on other ppl for rides like a bum), but id much rather take my car with me. its not a fancy car or anything like that, but im attached to it and im afraid my parents will sell it when im away.

couple issues/questions with shipping the car: 1) whats up wit auto insurance in NY if your vehicle is registered in CA? do i have to re-register my car in NY and change my plates in order to get coverage out there? 2) does the weather/snow really mess up your car that much, as ive heard from other ppl? i should only have it out there for a couple years, and then ill probably drive it back to CA after 2nd year (before starting rotations in the city). is my car gonna be hurtin with all that salt/snow going on in the winter?

-dl

BTW.....if there are any soon-to-be-3rd-years that are selling their cars, please PM me and let me know whats up. thx.

i'm pretty sure insurance is unrelated to registration. Unless you want NY residency I don't think you need to register in NY. Most states don't make you register your car if you're living there for educational purposes (CA doesn't). Then again you might want to see which state CA or NY has cheaper vehicle registration costs. CA is very expensive but NY might be as well.

For insurance all you should need to do is call your insurance company and tell them your car will be in NY. Also tell them it will be weekend-use only. A lot of insurance companies will give you reduced rates for a weekend-only car. I doubt if you live on campus you'll be driving all that much, besides just the grocery store or small errands.

Yes the snow will mess up the underside of your car, especially the salt. You might want to look into a car cover or something while it's parked. If you keep it clean (wash the salt off) it will help prevent rust. Two years out there won't be terrible but it will probably have some impact.

I'm driving my car from CA out to NYMC. I don't want to feel stranded or rely on others for driving me around. I'm not planning on being a taxi though for other students especially with the cost of gas, insurance, etc...So hopefully not too many people come car-less...

twoACES said:
so im from CA, and im trying to decide whether i should ship my car to NY or not. i know there are other options (such as buying a piece-of-shtt-car when i get out there, or relying on other ppl for rides like a bum), but id much rather take my car with me. its not a fancy car or anything like that, but im attached to it and im afraid my parents will sell it when im away.

I'm an NYMC alumist. I strongly recommend bringing your car during the first 2 years of med school in Valhalla, NY. The grocery store is about a 10-minute drive away. Fast food restaurants are NOT within short walking distance. Also, it's a pain to rely on others for transportation. There is public bus transportation, but it comes infrequently and is a real hastle.

Regarding the rest of your questions (ie, car insurance, registration, salt and snow, etc), I agree with Coquillage.

er... there's heating in the dorms right?

nymc flower said:
I'm an NYMC alumist. I strongly recommend bringing your car during the first 2 years of med school. The grocery store is about a 10-minute drive away. Fast food restaurants are NOT within short walking distance. Also, it's a pain to rely on others for transportation. There is public bus transportation, but it comes infrequently and is a real hastle.

Regarding the rest of your questions (ie, car insurance, registration, salt and snow, etc), I agree with Coquillage.

I was just looking up DMV info on NY website and it looks really cheap? Maybe someone from NY could comment if it's cheap for registration there.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/regfee.htm

I have a new car that costs $300/year at least in CA to register. From the NY info it looks like it's $110 for 2 years for a 4000 lb car in Westchester. If that's the case I'll just register in NY once my current one expires. is it really this cheap?? or am i missing something?

Kix said:
er... there's heating in the dorms right?

Yes, there's heating in all the NYMC dorms. But there's only 1 thermostat in your suite. Hopefully, you and your roommates will all agree on a comfortable temperature setting.

There is no A/C in the Dorms. You will have to buy an A/C unit for your individual room. Summers in NY are hot and humid.

I'm shipping my car out from CA as well....I WAS thinking of just buying a used one out in white plains, but think about it this way: Your car is going to have less wear and tear on it to begin with, as opposed to some used NY car that's already endured many winters...

twoACES said:

-dl

OK So i read the tentative itinerary for orientation week, and am pretty excited about all this eating and drinking. I also noticed that we are taking a night cruise around manhattan one night...um, does that mean I have to wear a dress/skirt of somesort?