NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RSasdf said:
for the physical forms, are there any deadlines that we should meet? I haven't got mine yet and I prob won't get it until another week or so...
It just asks that everything's in before registration on July 31st. Just as a heads up, they ask for titers on all of your immunizations

Members don't see this ad.

nymc flower said:
When you enter your 3rd and 4th year of med school, you can move to NYC and live in the NYMC apartments at 95th St (upper east side of Manhattan). Very nice and affordable apartments in NYC. Unfurnished apartments though. But it's a lottery system and not everyone gets the privilege of living in NYC student housing.

Just so no one is confused, you should know that the NYMC apt building on 95th street in Manhattan was sold off last year, and thus NYMC has no student housing in the City.

There is this lady named Francis Freedman who own a couple buildings and likes to rent them out to NYMC students. 82nd Street.

In any case, finding housing in the City isn't terribly difficult (do NOT go through a broker, waste of money imho), and it's affordable if you're willing to have some roommates.

*Edit* I see this has already been addressed. :oops:

bonovox said:
Just so no one is confused, you should know that the NYMC apt building on 95th street in Manhattan was sold off last year, and thus NYMC has no student housing in the City.

There is this lady named Francis Freedman who own a couple buildings and likes to rent them out to NYMC students. 82nd Street.

In any case, finding housing in the City isn't terribly difficult (do NOT go through a broker, waste of money imho), and it's affordable if you're willing to have some roommates.

*Edit* I see this has already been addressed. :oops:

So, stupid question: You can do your rotations in the city or at NYMC. If you end up doing them in the city will all of your rotations be in the city or will you need to schlep back and forth every couple of weeks depending on where the whim of scheduling takes you? (it's 2 years away, but I'm curious as is my girlfriend)

Also do any of you current students have any survival hints for us first years in regard to what books/equipment to buy, things you couldnt live without for first year and things that you wish you hadn't bought/brought?

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to rotations, it depends how the lottery works out for you. From what I hear, if you're smart about it it works out for most people. But you can stay in the city both years if you're lucky, but worst case is yes you may have to move from place to place, although from what I here thats pretty rare.

With books and equipment, during orientatoin theres basically a whole day where current students talk to you and tell you what they used, and what they would recommend buying, so I'd hold off buying stuff until you have that. I thought it was really useful. Also theres a used book sale, and students are always selling stuff on email, so you can save a bunch if you wait till school begins.

LJDHC05 said:
So, stupid question: You can do your rotations in the city or at NYMC. If you end up doing them in the city will all of your rotations be in the city or will you need to schlep back and forth every couple of weeks depending on where the whim of scheduling takes you? (it's 2 years away, but I'm curious as is my girlfriend)

Also do any of you current students have any survival hints for us first years in regard to what books/equipment to buy, things you couldnt live without for first year and things that you wish you hadn't bought/brought?

Please allow me to add a little more. When the rotation schedule don't always work out for you, you can always switch among your classmates. It's a lottery system, so it can never be 100% (so i've been told, there will be winners and losers).

Some rotations are more sought after than others. For example if you want to do surgery as a feature specality, you may want to do it at a certain hosptial than the others. Just remember, when there're choices, you have to choose. Some base it on money, some base it on location, some base it on speciality, some base it on how much work you actually want to put into it. Some hospital sites may give students free housing, even free meals. You'll get plenty more when you're a second year. But it's also good to get some ideas before you're there. Since i'm sure by that time you'll be so in love with Robbins, you wont care about your gf, your sanity, and/or anything else that you want to care about.... but that's another story....

so in short yes, you'll get screwed if you arent lucky enough......

books:
Anat: Netters, Grants must. Some like BRS. They'll tell you Moore, but i say only if you love to read and get some out of it (Both little and big versions)
Hist: Stick to scribes.
Physio: Scribes, BRS is GREAT for physio
Biochem: Scribes and lippincott
Neuro: Atlas is a must, scribes
Behavior: few ounces of common sense.
Just wait til you get to school you'll find out more. There will be plenty of people there to help you out. There will be plenty of used books ads floating into your inbox, you'll get tired of it. Just get books you need for your first block, don't go crazy and buy everything you see.

equipments
there will be a some sort of equipment fair that senate will put up, prices are okay. but you'll get to play with everything that you can buy, so you might want to wait too. plus you dont really need anything til second year anyway...

good luck

ps i may sound bitter, but i just want to let you all know, nothing is 100% perfect....

Congratulations to all!

Can one of the current students provide some input regarding transportation? Can one be realistic about taking the bus on a daily basis? (for example: living in White Plains or elsewhere along the bus routes) Is a car a must or is the local transportation system reliable enough to survive (with a few pains of course)? Any honest information is appreciated. Thanks!

HPC said:
Congratulations to all!

Can one of the current students provide some input regarding transportation? Can one be realistic about taking the bus on a daily basis? (for example: living in White Plains or elsewhere along the bus routes) Is a car a must or is the local transportation system reliable enough to survive (with a few pains of course)? Any honest information is appreciated. Thanks!

i would suggest live on campus, unless you really have something against it. about 95% of freshman will be on campus, you'll get to know all your classmates much quicker. also i believe bus is sort of expensive, the last time i rode the bus was about $1.50 for one ride. i dont know about monthly passes, but thats' about 60 dollars/month. i believe rent is about 650-750 (?)/month when you live on campus. includes everything, cable, utlities, internet. you can get marriage housing 2 bedroom for 1200? which is not horrible when you think about it. Like someone mentioned b4, westchester county is probably one of the MOST expensive place to live in NY.

Car would be great to have. you can survive without it (painfully). make friends fast or pray for a nice roomate who will be nice enough to take you places....

Hi, I just found out that on-campus housing does not allow ANY pets (other than fish or birds). My fiance (husband in July) and I have 2 cats, so we now need to find off-campus housing. Has anyone looked into this or have any suggestions? I looked on nypennysaver.com and craigslist and apartments.com.

Thanks!!!

two commercially available places around campus that i know of are Talleyrand and Nob Hill (google is, i'm not 100% certain about the name). Both are in Tarrytown I believe. I know for sure Talleyrand will allow pets, not sure about Nob Hill.

like i said before, neither places will be cheap... but both places are within 10 min of drive to school, so that's the price you'll have to pay.... there are other towns close to campus, that you'd have to comb through the thread to find out. i also known people that bascially got a hotel room near by for the orientation week and apt hunt during the week....

i dont know when you kids get your email account, probably when you get there? (dont remember anymore)... you can always ask people (your host, your tour guide, etc.) to forward you all the advertisment that's floating into their boxes.... or even better contact candy hack who's the housing director, she's very helpful.

hope that helps.

HPC said:
Congratulations to all!

If you are going to live off campus a car is pretty much a necessity. Scratch that - an absolute necessity if you don't want to spend significant time riding the bus. The bus runs pretty infrequently - maybe once an hour or so.

As far as living off campus, I am one of few first years who do and I really like it. At times I had to work a little harder to get to know people, but I like having my own place. With that said, I know a few first years who lived off campus and are moving on this year. (There are even more moving from on campus to off, though).

Where do you live/what town do you live in? Candy Hack said a lot of students live in Tarrytown, but also listed a few other towns. Are some easier than others to get to campus? Any advice would be helpful, as I have to figure all this out in the next few weeks (won't be around in July - wedding and honeymoon) and I live in Boston currently.

As far as living off campus, I am one of few first years who do and I really like it. At times I had to work a little harder to get to know people, but I like having my own place. With that said, I know a few first years who lived off campus and are moving on this year. (There are even more moving from on campus to off, though).[/QUOTE]

For the students who live on campus, is it common for visitors to come and stay with them? Does NYMC regulate visitors in the on-campus housing? It seems like regardless of the unfurnished/furnished, everyone gets their own room.

Anyone out there moving on campus alone and leaving behind a l-d bf? Do gf/bf ever come to visit for a few days and stay with students living on campus?

dwight_schrute said:
maybe i missed the boat on this one, but have you all seen the nymc rap video? its pretty rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB_aA9Bymy8&search=APAMSA

one of the profs in the video was my interviewer...haha.

Holy Cow!!!!

I recognized all those profs on there. Dr. Passo, Father Pravetz, Dr. Leria, and Dr. Drakontides... wow! I graduated from nymc in 2001. They had just built that new building right when my class left. The facilities in there look amazing now. BSB was basically a 1 floor complex and the anatomy lab was basically in a dungeon on the first floor.

Thanks for the video... it was especially nice seeing Dr. Leria gettin his groove on!

Nardo,
DB Peds Fellow

Members don't see this ad :)
Bernardo_11 said:
Holy Cow!!!!

I recognized all those profs on there. Dr. Passo, Father Pravetz, Dr. Leria, and Dr. Drakontides... wow! I graduated from nymc in 2001. They had just built that new building right when my class left. The facilities in there look amazing now. BSB was basically a 1 floor complex and the anatomy lab was basically in a dungeon on the first floor.

Thanks for the video... it was especially nice seeing Dr. Leria gettin his groove on!

Nardo,
DB Peds Fellow

I think someone did one this year, too. Dr. Drakontides is now retired - well, she teaches a few lectures in histo, but really not many.

Dr. Passo is, as he probably has always been, the most amazing physio professor alive!! For future first years: he truly is one of the benefits of coming to NYMC. The man makes respiratory physiology fun! And he's really good at helping with cardiophys too (although he doesn't teach any lectures on it).

As far as on-campus visitors - many students have ld relationships and visitors.

Coquillage said:
For the students who live on campus, is it common for visitors to come and stay with them? Does NYMC regulate visitors in the on-campus housing? It seems like regardless of the unfurnished/furnished, everyone gets their own room.

Anyone out there moving on campus alone and leaving behind a l-d bf? Do gf/bf ever come to visit for a few days and stay with students living on campus?

as long as ur roommates are cool with it. shouldnt have any problems. no one checks, no sign in and out, etc etc. there might be some sort of rule that no vistors can stay more than X days, but like i said, no one checks....

but parking for your friend when visit may be a little more sticky... but even with parking, it shouldnt be a problem.

everyone does get his/her own room. very very few studios/one bedrooms on campus. i think...

Any 1st years gotten your Fin Aid package yet???

Coquillage said:

I'm moving on campus and leaving my gf in nyc alone. I feel bad but I'll visit her every weekend to make up for it. =T

RSasdf said:
I'm moving on campus and leaving my gf in nyc alone. I feel bad but I'll visit her every weekend to make up for it. =T

My GF is up in Vermont at law school...it's a short 4.5 hour drive

LJDHC05 said:

Good to hear similiar stories...I'm leaving my bf in LA. Not looking forward to it, but I hope I get a cool roommate who doesn't care if I have a visitor every so often (not like he can come every week)

Definitely excited to meet everyone! Sounds like we have a great class already.

Haven't heard anything from FinAid yet. I read something about after June 6?

My bf will be in Miami so I know your concern. If I was your roommate I wouldn't care if came and stayed with us.

Coquillage said:
Good to hear similiar stories...I'm leaving my bf in LA. Not looking forward to it, but I hope I get a cool roommate who doesn't care if I have a visitor every so often (not like he can come every week)

Definitely excited to meet everyone! Sounds like we have a great class already.

Haven't heard anything from FinAid yet. I read something about after June 6?

Atleast we wont be alone in the LD relationship misery...as if that helps.

Yeah, I remember something about stuff being sent out "as the files are completed..." whatever that means. I was just curious because I'd like to have the loans squared away sooner rather than later. Doesnt it figure that the day I begin the path to 250k in debt is 6/6/06... seems like it may be an Omen...(sorry that was corny)

LJDHC05 said:

My sis will be an undergrad there, let's carpool :).

Today I woke up ... checked the emails ... top of the list:

subject: NYMC-Acceptance Notice

Daym, I guess I'm officially a med student. I was waitlisted May 18 and I was stressing and fearing the worst every day until today.

Can't wait for those dorms =)

-Jonathan

How is the gym? I couldn't really tell much from the tiny picture in the website...

snowgirlca said:
How is the gym? I couldn't really tell much from the tiny picture in the website...

tisk tisk, your tour guy didnt show you? or you skipped the tour? ;)

couple machines, free weights... nothing super, but will get your through. if not, nymc has agreement with two schools around campus. (at least one that i'm sure of) that has a pool and much better selection of machines...

for those who are doing ld. it will be tough, but i'm sure if you guys have good fundations, you'll do okay. it'll be two of hardest years of your life, just keep that in mind. good luck

I will be leaving my girlfriend in california. :( sucks

wait so why just two years?

nymcstudent said:
tisk tisk, your tour guy didnt show you? or you skipped the tour? ;)

couple machines, free weights... nothing super, but will get your through. if not, nymc has agreement with two schools around campus. (at least one that i'm sure of) that has a pool and much better selection of machines...

for those who are doing ld. it will be tough, but i'm sure if you guys have good fundations, you'll do okay. it'll be two of hardest years of your life, just keep that in mind. good luck

SuferMD said:
I will be leaving my girlfriend in california. :( sucks

wait so why just two years?

The first two years are the toughest
1. first year you're getting used to the mentality that you need to study, ummm, quite more than what you're used to do as a undergrad.
2. second year you'll wish you've never met Robbins

Those of you who don't know our testing schedule.... bascially count on a test every 4-5 week, follow by another one within a week after, so two tests every 6 weeks. so you get little window to catch up.
Second year testing schedule, every 6 weeks. on that firday you'll have two tests on the same day back to back.

if you can tough those hard time out, you'll be okay. Third year your schedule is little bit more flexible. you can sort of pick and choose what you want to work hard in. if you really dont care about ob/gyn. you just dont study as hard. 4th year, you can actually pick your externship in Ca....

atleast it's only 2 years...

LJDHC05 said:
atleast it's only 2 years...

just like everyone else will tell you when you start med school.

keep those relationships/friendships that are important to you. keep in touch with your family and loved ones. those who will still be there when it gets rough...

it's not an easy path.... gets a little easier during 3 and 4th year... (for most). I do know someone who did quit after her 3rd year, cuz it wasnt meant for her....

Wow, I've been reading through this thread because I was accepted to the class of 2010 back in May. What's really ironic is that there's a bunch of people that are living in Worcester, MA. For the past 7 months I've been living with my fiancee in Leicester, MA, and for the past 4 years have been working at Abbott Bioresearch Center right across from UMASS Medical School.

What a small world it is. Well, I'm from Rhode Island originally, but I've been in Worcester for a while now.

Here's a typical question for you current students:

How much free time would you say the typical medical student has during the week? Are weekends for most students dedicated to studying or is it very wise to take a day or two off during the weekend for some R&R?

All of us woo-town folks should get together at somepoint this summer before we all move out to NYMC so we can have an awesome clique going at orientation...we'll need to defend ourselves from the Yankees fans

LJDHC05 said:
All of us woo-town folks should get together at somepoint this summer before we all move out to NYMC so we can have an awesome clique going at orientation...we'll need to defend ourselves from the Yankees fans

As long as it doesn't involve going to the Atrium, then I'm all for it :)

Maldini said:
As long as it doesn't involve going to the Atrium, then I'm all for it :)
Sketchy......that place makes me shudder just thinking about the things that happened there during my college years.

I was thinking Funky Murphy's on Shrewsbury or Irish Times as two decent bars. I haven't been to Moe's or BrewCity or Tortilla Sam's (byob) in a while either, so they would be cool too. Just a couple throughts for fellow worcester area folks. If anyone's interested I'll coordinate via PM/email

~Luke

Sadly, the Atrium was one of the first places I went to when I first visited Worcester for the first time but that is another story for another time...

I'm a big Brew City fan but any of the places LJDHC05 mentioned sound good. It definitely would be fun for all of us Worcester people to meet each other before we move down there (I still think it is a little strange that there are so many of us!)

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Maldini said:
How much free time would you say the typical medical student has during the week? Are weekends for most students dedicated to studying or is it very wise to take a day or two off during the weekend for some R&R?

if you're not very bright like me, you'll be studying everyday... if you're bright and don't give a ****, (since you'll be assigned, H, HP, P, F) you can get away with hardcore studying 2-3 weeks before exams (even 1-2 if you're very very adventurous).... it all depends on you...

i do remember that my old undergrad advisor told me once that you are expected to study at least 3 hours outside of your classroom for a 3 credit semester course. i believe the first year at nymc you carry 22 credits, so when you do the math, you are expect to be in classroom ~ 22 hours a week, on top of that another 22 hours of studying.... for the first block you're in class much longer, since you'll have a lot of lab time.

Second year it'll be a lot of self studying time.... so, i dont think anyone can tell you how to budget your time. ~ 8hr/day 1st-3rd week. ~10-12 hr/day 3rd-4th.... last week.... anything goes...

LJDHC05 said:
Sketchy......that place makes me shudder just thinking about the things that happened there during my college years.

I was thinking Funky Murphy's on Shrewsbury or Irish Times as two decent bars. I haven't been to Moe's or BrewCity or Tortilla Sam's (byob) in a while either, so they would be cool too. Just a couple throughts for fellow worcester area folks. If anyone's interested I'll coordinate via PM/email

~Luke

Brew City is my place to hang in Worcester - nice and laid back. I'd be up for any of those places though. It would be really cool to meet you guys before shipping off to NY. The rest of our classmates would be so envious :laugh:

Maldini said:
Wow, I've been reading through this thread because I was accepted to the class of 2010 back in May. What's really ironic is that there's a bunch of people that are living in Worcester, MA. For the past 7 months I've been living with my fiancee in Leicester, MA, and for the past 4 years have been working at Abbott Bioresearch Center right across from UMASS Medical School.

Have you played on Abbot's company softball team since you've been there? I play on GlaxoSmithKline's team (formerly ID Biomedical) and I know we play your company at some point this season.

LJDHC05 said:

Hey, I'm coming from california, and I am a Giants fan. I think im going to get a lot of crap from all you folks hahahahaha :p

SuferMD said:
Hey, I'm coming from california, and I am a Giants fan. I think im going to get a lot of crap from all you folks hahahahaha :p

You probably like Barry Bonds...for shame ::shakes head in disbelief::

Well I'm off to Vermont for a few days, catch ya'll later

anywho... it's nice to be reminded that I was once idealistic and excited about med school as you guys are...

need to disappear and wont be checking this board for a while... so if you EVER need any help, advice or anything just write me an email...
if you need advice as to how to get honors/high pass, dont bother, because i'll be honest with you, i dont know how... but if you ever find that you're struggling through a class I am your man.

just repeating something you've heard and will hear over and over again from your future profs... There are no stupid questions.... I just request that if you think whatever advice/answer that I give you will be helpful to others, please pass it along...

<my logging name here> at gmail dot com

Good luck! Have fun, enjoy and study hard.

Hey everyone,

After toying with the idea of Drexel vs NYMC, I've decided to join all of you at NYMC. I am excited to see you all there :oops:

randhail said:
Maldini said:

Have you played on Abbot's company softball team since you've been there? I play on GlaxoSmithKline's team (formerly ID Biomedical) and I know we play your company at some point this season.

Nah, not a big baseball fan. A bunch of the guys on the team are my good buddies though.

Maldini said:
Nah, not a big baseball fan. A bunch of the guys on the team are my good buddies though.

BTW, I like Brew City a lot more than Funky Murphy's. And another place that I absolutely abhor is Jeff's on Shrewsbury Street, and I couldn't list the reasons why I hate that place.

LJDHC05 said:

Just to add a little bit to what the others have said (btw, nymcstudent's booklist is money, listen to him).

Rotations are lottery-based, and you can get screwed. I wanted to do all of my rotations in the City, and got them all in the City. Except Medicine, which I plan on going into, was at one of the not-so-good places to do it at. So, I was able to get everything switched around such that my first half of the year I'm at Westchester (doing Medicine at the hospital here... definitely the best place to do it), and the second half in Manhattan. You will find that it is easier to get the Westchester rotations than it is to get the NYC ones because everyone wants to move to the City after spending their first two years in Valhella.

I don't recommend renting a microscope from the school vendors. DONT BE TRICKED INTO RENTING ONE! Seriously, you only need it for three classes in all of your four years in medical school: Histology, Microbiology, and a little bit here and there for Pathology. Most of the time you can get away with borrowing someone else's scope. What I do recommend, however, is waiting till you get on campus and your inbox is flooded with people selling stuff, then buy a microscope off of one of them. You won't need a microscope till a month or so into your first year, so you got plenty of time. Then, you can sell it to wet-behind-the-ears first years after you're done with it. :D

If you're gonna live in Grasslands II, I got the perfect AC for YOU! Perfect fit for the sleeves. I'll sell it to you for $200, lemme know. Again, don't buy it from the company the school tells you to buy it from. I don't know why some of these administration people are so cruel to you first years making you waste so much money with frivolous "suggestions."

Make sure you subscribe to the scribe service and also buy the old exam books. Best investment you will ever make... EVER!

Finally, tuition's been going up every friggin year. It's ridiculous that the budget for on campus students is in excess of $60,000 this year. My point is, save money wherever you can. Don't buy books you won't end up reading. Don't rent microscopes, cook your own food instead of eating out, common sense stuff.

Anyways, lemme know if you got any more questions. I just finished my second year and am studying for the Step 1 but would be more than happy to help you out if I can, provided you buy my AC from me. :D j/k . Don't PM me though, my box is full and I don't wanna clean it out. I'll check this thread every so often.

Regarding gym options... we got a small gym on campus but you may have to wait your turn if you want to use the treadmills or the ellipticals because they dont have too many. The wight training machines suck, but there are free weights and a few machines.

We do have a new agreement with Marymount College of Fordham Univ to use their facilities... the hours are great and they got tons of equipment (plus a pool and basketball court). It's about a 10 minute drive away. And it's FREE!

Otherwise, for the Mr. and Miss Moneybags amongst you, there's a NYSC right around the corner (5 minute drive) next to the Applebee's. Pretty good stuff they got there, and you can use their facilities in Manhattan and elsewhere during certain hours if that's your thang. About $70 or so a month i think. Not worth it, imo, especially with the Marymount gym now available to us.

Welcome to the class! :hardy:

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide on NYMC over Drexel?

SuferMD said:
Hey everyone,

After toying with the idea of Drexel vs NYMC, I've decided to join all of you at NYMC. I am excited to see you all there :oops:

bonovox said:
Just to add a little bit to what the others have said (btw, nymcstudent's booklist is money, listen to him).

Rotations are lottery-based, and you can get screwed. I wanted to do all of my rotations in the City, and got them all in the City. Except Medicine, which I plan on going into, was at one of the not-so-good places to do it at. So, I was able to get everything switched around such that my first half of the year I'm at Westchester (doing Medicine at the hospital here... definitely the best place to do it), and the second half in Manhattan. You will find that it is easier to get the Westchester rotations than it is to get the NYC ones because everyone wants to move to the City after spending their first two years in Valhella.

I don't recommend renting a microscope from the school vendors. DONT BE TRICKED INTO RENTING ONE! Seriously, you only need it for three classes in all of your four years in medical school: Histology, Microbiology, and a little bit here and there for Pathology. Most of the time you can get away with borrowing someone else's scope. What I do recommend, however, is waiting till you get on campus and your inbox is flooded with people selling stuff, then buy a microscope off of one of them. You won't need a microscope till a month or so into your first year, so you got plenty of time. Then, you can sell it to wet-behind-the-ears first years after you're done with it. :D

If you're gonna live in Grasslands II, I got the perfect AC for YOU! Perfect fit for the sleeves. I'll sell it to you for $200, lemme know. Again, don't buy it from the company the school tells you to buy it from. I don't know why some of these administration people are so cruel to you first years making you waste so much money with frivolous "suggestions."

Make sure you subscribe to the scribe service and also buy the old exam books. Best investment you will ever make... EVER!

Finally, tuition's been going up every friggin year. It's ridiculous that the budget for on campus students is in excess of $60,000 this year. My point is, save money wherever you can. Don't buy books you won't end up reading. Don't rent microscopes, cook your own food instead of eating out, common sense stuff.

Anyways, lemme know if you got any more questions. I just finished my second year and am studying for the Step 1 but would be more than happy to help you out if I can, provided you buy my AC from me. :D j/k . Don't PM me though, my box is full and I don't wanna clean it out. I'll check this thread every so often.

bonovox,

"only" $200 for your ac... why so cheap?! when your school is selling it for 400?! :eek: :eek:

take bonovox's advice... wait til you get there, will be more than enough ac, books, cheap tvs for you all...

I know that in the suites, the beds are twin but I was wondering if they were really extra long twin. When I went to college, they said to get extra long twin sheets but we just had twin beds. I'm having a hard time find extra long twin sheets that I like.